Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Geomancing posted:

Reading about the Daggerfall for Unity toolkit that's being worked on made me feel like reinstalling the game and messing around again, until I remembered that it's kind of a pain to get the keyboard/mouse controls to something close to modern standards. I still love Daggerfall though; it's janky and long, but has a bunch of neat things to do.

I never actually finished the game; on my character that got the furthest, I got to the last dungeon and was completely stymied by the need to have levitation magic.

How long has this been worked on? I have been following the DaggerXL engine some guy was building but the project seems to have kind of petered out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Elder Scrolls moon colonies are the only lore that makes sense.

A lot of people seem to forget that Kirkbride still has a direct influence in the series and works with Bethesda creatively, if even in an informal sense. Like, if I recall from an AMA he did at least a read through and provided comments for the draft on Skyrim, and stuff like Alduin and kalpas and the Thalmor are all pretty cornerstone Kirkbride themes. I don't think he does any official writing for them (stuff like c0da excluded though its received winks and nods from Bethesda) but he's still on good terms with the team.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Cantorsdust posted:

There used to be a YCS poster who was really big on Daggerfall being the best TES game. Liesmith, I think. I wonder whatever happened to him.

Got trapped in a randomly generated never ending dungeon after his last save got corrupted, probably.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Oblivion Character Overhaul is fine, you're talking about a game that can't even do black skin in the first place. Vanilla Oblivion every redguard is on some sliding scale from a shade away from having a heart attack to some kind of tomato person.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

SkyUI is probably the only mod I would recommend to someone on a first play through. Its easy enough to install and doesn't really change the vanilla experience outside of making the interface not awful.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Skyrim really doesn't need a lot of mods to be enjoyable, unlike Oblivion. The mods can add a lot, but like I said just doing SkyUI you can enjoy the game right out of the box.

I mean really, even for Oblivion with OCO, maybe a non intrusive leveling mod for progression, something to change how level scaling works and, uh okay you're going to need some mods to be able to enjoy Oblivion nowadays.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Sky Shadowing posted:

I kind of cooled off with Zenimax Online when I played through the Pact storyline, even if Deshaan and Eastmarch's stories pissed me off. Deshaan because of the enemy that the Tribunal, who are at the height of their power, cannot face, but you can. Eastmarch's because I viewed the ending as lazy and a rip off of Skyrim.

But in a lot of areas, it was obvious they put in a lot of little details. Like Coldharbour having a copy of the White-Gold Tower, I tipped my fake hat to them for a few things like that. With those, my only fault was a few times it didn't make sense (Black Briad Mead! It's 1000 years before Skyrim, but it still exists!) and you just felt like the devs were sitting next to you elbowing you saying "hey, remember THAT? We did!" They were trying too hard, I felt at times, to be referential to the rest of the series and weren't thinking in terms of their own setting and strike out on their own.

As for the alliances, I forgive them that because there wasn't really a good way to have the world divided in 3s that made any more sense than just straight up geography. And lore should always be set aside when gameplay requires it.

I don't know, having just played through this in the past couple of weeks, it never really feels like the Tribunal can't face these issues as they leave it up to the denizens of Morrowind to sort it out. Compared to the Akavir invasions and Mehrunes Dragon attacking they seem pretty low on the threat level though what's her name stealing the judgment of veloth to try and steal everyone's soul is enough of a short term threat that Almalexia gets personally involved to help you along. Plus it has been hinted that the other Tribunal members have their own things theyre dealing with which will come up in future DLC (clockwork city just recently confirmed)

I kind of agree with Skyrim, though. I don't think it felt really a retread of Skyrim's main story as it was just more nords, more mead jokes, etc. After doing parts of mainland Morrowind and a sliver of Black Marsh, Skyrim just felt already-tread and less interesting. Maybe they should have reversed the ordering.

I've never had a real problem with the Alliances because at least Daggerfall and Ebonheart really drive home in many of the quests that they are in part alliances of convenience and many of the residents of each region still hate/mistrust each other. Slavery is still present in Morrowind, even if they've been given up enslaving argonians, and there's still a lot of anxiety over Dark Elves breaking even these terms at a drop of the hat, for instance.

Edit: also the Alliances are less bizarre when you really think about it. Hammerfell and High Rock routinely band together (usually to crush the orcs) but in the circumstances its not crazy that they'd roll with the Orcs (though the Orcs think it'll only be temporary) to help them achieve their political goals.

Then Valenwood and Summerset have always have ties, so the Thalmor have precedent shown in Skyrim.

Ebonheart is the only strangest pairing, though the lore in the game presents it as a pact of convenience to keep themselves independent after the Akavir invasions and less focused on taking over all of Tamriel as to make sure the other two alliances don't do it then impose on them.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 28, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

TEAYCHES posted:

I thought they had more of a leash but the lead producer was literally the guy from Dark Age of Camelot. Was anyone from Bethesda working on ESO apart from consulting or advisory roles?

ESO is very much an MMO, with a troubled launch at that, but I think complaints about lore in the game are kind of dumb. This is still the series (in Morrowind nonetheless) that references Lowtax, I mean really come on.

Edit: That's why, honestly, I like Kirkbride because he will throw out crazy things everywhere and let's be honest, this all just started out of some friends' D&D campaign and it is kind of silly to get really mad about things like Cyrodiil not being a jungle.

Though of course it should be, maybe. Or it was?

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 28, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

They could easily take the maps from ESO and use them as a base for wherever they pick for TESVI considering that's basically what they did with the height maps from Oblivion and Skyrim in ESO for the regions of Cyrodiil and Skyrim. It'd look different, of course, and more detailed but you can put a map of the Rift and Eastmarch from Skyrim and ESO over each other and they're pretty close. Same with Cyrodiil.

The only provinces that are more or less represented in full though in ESO are High Rock (once Wrothgar is released as DLC) and Valenwood, I think.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Numidium being a time traveling robot capable of destroying the world is pretty much stated as such in the games, though it is buried in the books.

Also crazy time paradoxes aren't really out of the realm of possibility as the God of Time is a schizophrenic.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Sky Shadowing posted:

Technically in MK lore there are no gods, mortals, everyone's just a different personality of a massive schizophrenic Godhead and the Gods (and those who achieve CHIM) are the ones who realize that and can alter the dream to their will.

That's not really just MK lore, that's hinted at in the games as being the case: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Black_Book:_Waking_Dreams

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

With the schizophrenic personalities of the gods, you have to remember that belief is very powerful in the elder scrolls setting. That's why the Thalmor are so driven to erase belief in Talos, replacement for the missing god of creation Lorkhan, because by reversing belief in Talos they can effectively unmake the world (which they want to do because they view creation a prison). That's why the world is ending, Skyrim is very much a post apocalyptic setting, with Alduin (who is supposed to end the world so it resets back at the point time begins) coming back and the process of Talos unmantling is beginning.

If I had to guess, TESVI will take place with the Stormcloaks winning and the Empire in an even more precarious place with the very fabric of existence at stake. Daggerfall was the last game I can think of where everything turned up "okay" after the actions of the hero.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Sky Shadowing posted:

Well, Morrowind was an overall win, I mean, if Dagoth Ur had won he would have, at best, infected the entirety of Tamriel with a disease that drives them mad and horribly mishapen while destroying all who oppose him with Akulakhan. At worst, and by MK lore, he would have joined all of Tamriel's intelligence to himself and started the world over with himself in charge of the new Godhead. I mean, yes, the collateral damage of the Red Year was certainly bad, but the alternative is Dagoth Ur wins.

Not to mention in Oblivion the alternative is total destruction.

Oh, I agree. I just meant with regards to how things turn out "officially" for TESVI I expect it to be pretty lovely. You stop Alduin from taking the world over (and maybe in the process gently caress up the kalpic cycles oops) but if I had to guess how everything turns out for everything else it'll be very bad for the Empire and Thalmor are only going to get stronger.

Also who is to say Dagoth Ur wasn't right? Your only purpose in Morrowind was to settle a grudge match for Azura, not to actually save the world. It's a shame that the option to side with Dagoth wasnt able to make it into the final game as it had to be cut for time, that would have been interesting.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Dandywalken posted:

Wonder how the Dragon Break idea went over when first suggested. Was it like a "Which ending are we gonna build on?" "ALL OF THEM!!!" scenario?

poo poo was pretty drat bold in retrospect. Internet outrcry would've been loving enormous for that kind of poo poo today probably.

Yeah, I'd be curious about that too. Stuff like the warp in the west and the stuff in Redguard is what really starts to set up TES from other fantasy. Arena was basically a bunch of buddies D&D campaign turned into a video game and daggerfall is a huge expansive game but was still stuff where all the gods are named after the staff and its pretty heavy on standard fantasy tropes.

Though I guess the time traveling dwarven cyborg Numidium was a big part of Daggerfall so that weirdness was there even that far back.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Superstring posted:

Speaking of which, who created the DnD setting that would become TES anyways?

Whoever the original team making up Bethesda was, someone more knowledgeable can chime in. As is recounted a lot now it was just supposed to be a game about gladiators in the setting but the side questing ended up being more fun than the arena part so they dropped gladiators but it was too late to really change the promotional title of the game.

I think that's a good way to frame elder scrolls lore. I like the more esoteric stuff but I don't think its worth it to really get up in arms Cyrodiil isn't a jungle (for whatever reason) or X hang up. Even Oblivion, once you peer behind the generic coating it got to cater to the LoTR boom at the time still had a lot of weirdness to it below the surface.

In the end its a great series that just came out of some dudes rushing an cRPG based on their d&d campaign that they shifted gears halfway through development on.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Mzbundifund posted:

The next Elder Scrolls game will be in High Rock because it's the only generic European fantasy country in Tamriel that we haven't had a game focused on yet. It'll have references to the events of Skyrim because High Rock is next to Skyrim. If I die before the game comes out, write this on my tombstone.

Daggerfall was set mostly in High Rock.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Shab posted:

Speaking of Redguard, is it worth going back to play? I say this as someone whose introduction to TES was Morrowind and I've never gone back to play Daggerfall.

Its a pain in the rear end to install and really you're better off just watching an LP of it on YouTube.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Fallout 4 isn't even announced so don't worry about getting TESVI anytime this decade.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Strategic Tea posted:

Good thing we have ESO to codify Black Marsh, Hammerfell, etc as... second rate D&D campaign settings :negative:

Black Marsh was alright, I'm not sure what you were expecting. I mean, there's no travel system of underground tunnels and you're riding around in a giant snakes belly, but it had shapeshifting elves and undead Kothringi, giant Aztec pyramids and you're often having to take a lot of :treedrugs:, and that's just kind of the cusp of Black Marsh that was practically controlled by the Dunmer up until recently.

edit: same goes for Hammerfell, its basically Arabian Nights like it was in Daggerfall.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The Thieves Guild isn't organized crime, they're communists. Well, except in Skyrim then they're just a cult, and kind of assholes. But Morrowind and Oblivion they're probably the best "good guys" in a setting where most institutions are corrupt and poo poo.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Nasgate posted:

The fact that only one person commented on Brynjolf talking to you is what was awful writing. That and that there was no quest line to boot the thieves guild out. The same problem I had with the fighters guild in Oblivion. Don't give the player a faction that would reasonably hire them and make them unjoinable.

In fact, Skyrim does this a lot. Thalmor if you're an elf/Khajiit. Forsworn if you're a nord. You can't replace one of the several jarls that it'd make sense to.

This is a valid criticism but its pretty rare in TES games to do this. Like in Morrowind there's no way to side with the Carmona Tong or join up with the DB. The Sixth House being joinable didn't make the final game even though it was planned and the whole MQ is Dagoth Ur trying to win you over.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Please do not refer to Reachmen as "savages" as that is problematic.

They are a proud poorly written peoples who replace their hearts with acorns and love death.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

axolotl farmer posted:

I decided to play through Skyrim again.

Does the Thalmor have any redeeming qualities. They just seem to be arrogant dicks stomping all over Skyrim demanding that everyone stop worshiping Thalos and once in a while death march some poor guy for no reason.

Well, their goal is to end the world and unmake creation. If you're down with that I imagine that is redeeming.

Edit: speaking of Daggerfall, its interesting how much hay is made over Cyrodiil not being a jungle in the second era in ESO but High Rock being Warp of the West'd retroactively is a criticism I've yet to see.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 27, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

But Daggerfall Covenant players start in Daggerfall in Illiac Bay in ESO, and there are only the smattering of post-Warp kingdoms controlling High Rock, not the dozens of city states that existed pre-Warp. Of course, it isn't CHIM like with Cyrodiil that caused the Warp, but it was the Numidium which is kind of like an anti-CHIM device, but still I've yet to see anyone really complaining about that which is what I meant.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

FutonForensic posted:

Isn't that just playing ES on a console

I try not to think too much about such lost souls.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Cubey posted:

you've seen nobody complain because who in the gently caress gives a single poo poo about eso, seriously

There are dozens of us, dozens.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Skyrim was lousy with bugs at launch and obviously had no mods available to fix certain things (hello UI) but it was by no means a wreck.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

axolotl farmer posted:

Yeah, that's what I was after.

And welp, the Towers and Stones are Kirkbride fan-fiction. Let's hope that lore actually makes it into TES VI, because it works and is wonderful nonsense.

The Towers and Stones is a big part of "canon" Elder Scrolls stuff actually. Like here is the dragonborn prophecy from Skyrim:

quote:

When misrule takes its place at the eight corners of the world
When the Brass Tower walks and Time is reshaped
When the thrice-blessed fail and the Red Tower trembles
When the Dragonborn Ruler loses his throne, and the White Tower falls
When the Snow Tower lies sundered, kingless, bleeding
The World-Eater wakes, and the Wheel turns upon the Last Dragonborn.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Worth remembering that the Eight (or Nine) divines are just the sanitized for consumption syncretic version of the Ayleid elven pantheon with some Nordic elements thrown in (more heavily leaning on the elven side) that the Alessians came up with during the first empire. Some of the eight are represented in other pantheons as similar but different aspects but in other cases certain deoties are completely separate. The Redguard pantheon particularly has a lot of completely alien divines without clear analogs to the Imperial cult.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Nasgate posted:

Don't those other gods usually have daedric analogues though? I know that's how the Khajiit mythos is, daedra+aedra.

Some do, some don't. In a way the daedra are more "concrete" than their aedra analogs because they didn't give up their essence (or whatever) in creation so their identities aren't defined by those who worship them but by their plane. The aedra gave up that which is why they often reflect different aspects to the cultures that worship them. This is why Akatosh "is" Auri-El even though Akatosh is pro-Man and Auri-El is pro-Mer and opposed to Man and Lorkhan, even though they are of the same uh, soul if you want to call it that.

Then it even gets more complicated with gods that don't neatly fit into the aedra/daedra distinction, the MagnaGe (or whatever they're called) who just got the gently caress out of dodge before the whole mess of convention started. This is how you get princes like Meridia who is now a daedric prince but wasn't always.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Ebonarm has never been mentioned since Daggerfall and any old books that made reference to him had those references edited out for ESO. Safe to say he has been quietly disposed of.

From what I remember MK hated (or well, didn't want to use) Ebonarm because it felt a little too strongly close to the homebrew D&D roots of the series that they were moving away from for Redguard/Morrowind writing.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 3, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

ESO is actually full of a lot of great lore stuff. Its probably one of the stronger parts of it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Blue Raider posted:

examples? im thinking about starting it with the tamriel unbound or whatever

Without giving too much away there's a lot more diversity since it covers (parts of) all the provinces in Tamriel. Going off the religion conversation earlier in the thread, Skyrim kind of toned down the complexity of faith in the series, ESO has a lot of variety of worship (even non-bad guys daedric cults practicing out in the open). Time is more hosed up than even usual elder scrolls games (its arguable that its all set during a Dragon Break) so there's a lot of witnessing events from the first era. Also there's a lot of appearances of races that have only been mentioned in books in previous games such as the Kothringi humans of Black Marsh, Maormer sea elves, background on the fighters' guild when it is still heavily influenced by the Akaviri, and a ton of stuff on towers if that triggers you. Getting to see some of the never before seen areas is cool and I think they did a good job. There's also something like 2000 in-game books, half of which are all new.

Edit: and yeah, Cyrodiil isn't a jungle, and while I share the disappointment in that its probably time for people to either decide that's the hill they want to die on or just move on and enjoy the series. That being said Cyrodiil is pretty cool looking in itself, and feels much more like in the middle of the apocalypse with daedric portals looming over wrecked cities and huge fissures in the earth. Oblivion would have been a lot more interesting if it had the same kind of atmosphere.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 4, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Atrayonis posted:

I'm not that far into ESO (Ebonheart Pact) yet, but right now there's already been a glut of Chimer lore, some referencing the Bosmer Wild Hunt, and someone actually mentioned Nedes.

One of the endgame areas, Craglorn in Hammerfell, is covered in Nedic ruins and the storyline of that region is all about how the constellation signs are their own anthropomorphised beings, which has been hinted at here and there in the past in elder scrolls but goes really into depth. Also lots of stuff on the Yokuda, the redguards before they came to Tamriel.

edit: also haha just running around right now in the game exploring Valenwood and came across a random encounter of a khajiit and high elf arguing with the khajiit saying it is culturally insensitive to call moon sugar quote "cat drugs"

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 4, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Moryrie posted:

well that was a whole lot of not much? can't even explain his reasoning? :/ ..

He talks about it elsewhere, I don't really feel like digging up all the comments but I had just seen them recently so it kind of goes like this:

1) As I said before felt the god felt too homebrew D&D campaign and wanted to move the tone of the series away from that with TES:A Redguard and Morrowind
2) The writer who came up with ebonarm no longer worked at bethesda and so kirkbride didn't feel like touching it (presumably no one else at bethesda either)

in all fairness Ebonarm (a god with an arm that is an ebony sword) is kind of dumb and was kind of redundant with stendarr already around who is already kind of patron of noble warriors and justice/opposed to daedra.

edit: just reread your original question and it isn't Ebonarm that Talos takes the place of, but Lorkhan who was the "missing god" who tricked everyone into kicking off creation and is why the Thalmor want to erase Talos.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 5, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Kirkbride said that in the end the Thalmor are going to win.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

A part of me suspects either High Rock or Valenwood, if only because they're the only two regions that are 100% represented in ESO. Now, ESO isn't really a 1:1, since its a different engine and graphics, but if you go to the 1/3 of Skyrim playable in the game the maps pretty closely line up.

The only region which barely has any representation is Elsweyr, but I really doubt Bethesda will do something in a beastfolk area.

Hammerfell and Summerset Isles are both only half playable so maybe that could be a thing, but either way I am thinking that it will be pretty focused on the thalmor.

edit: If it is Valenwood, its one of the cooler regions in ESO.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Pikestaff posted:

Cyrodiil was a jungle until Tiber Septim blew on it and used CHIM to turn it into a beautiful countryside. It's one of the things Heimskr is yelling about in Whiterun.

But I think TESO retconned all of that so I'm not sure what the official word on it is anymore :shrug:

Cyrodiil used to be a jungle in TESO too, but isn't anymore in TESO's second era Cyrodiil thanks to Tiber Septim's CHIM. There's a couple books that talk about it in-game.

I am guessing what happened was:

A) Cyrodiil as-is is a mandate from Bethesda and for consistency between games that is how it will appear.

B) TESO uses the height maps from Oblivion to create Cyrodiil and they wanted to keep it visually similar for fans of Oblivion coming to the game.

C) Cyrodiil is set as the big open world PVP battleground for the game with hundreds of players fighting over castles and the more wide open and less dense Oblivion-esque Cyrodiil is a lot less of a performance hog than doing a crazy jungle.

edit: It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Imperial City once they release it as it is now run by Daedra with a giant portal to Coldharbour looming right over it.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 5, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

EgoEgress posted:

If you feel like doing an archaeological dig through the ancient internet you can find people kvetching about Morrowind in comparison to Daggerfall shortly after it was released. "Dumbing down the series", "not a true RPG", "appealing to casual gamers with whizzycool features and graphics", etc.

Now, I think there are legitimate complaints that the series has been stripped of depth over time and that certain features seem catered to an audience that doesn't really care for this RPG nerd poo poo. But on the other hand, it's a bit comforting to know that the more things change, the more they stay the same. :allears:

What I'd this, just a tiny island? That I can run from one end to the other in fifteen minutes? Where's my 63km of procedurally generated landmass with hundreds of towns and cities :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

double nine posted:

Is that true? I'm not being clever, I genuinely have forgotten how long it takes to go from one end of morrowind to the other - in my mind it would take about 3-4 hours?

Booking it from Vivecs temple to ah, that orc town all the way in the north along the coast for the sea of ghosts would probably take maybe half an hour if you knew where you were going and didn't run into any monsters? Vvardenfell is pretty tiny.

Edit: this is with in mind you either don't care about stamina or have a mod that doesn't drain stamina when running. Walking would definitely take forever.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 6, 2015