Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I like Oblivion about equally to Skyrim. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and offer unique experiences. I find Morrowind to be a very different beast from its two successors, so I don't usually judge it in comparison. Still haven't gotten around to Daggerfall or Arena- though I do want to try the former one day.

I've accepted that I have terrible taste and possibly brain problems. :v:

I think Elsweyr/Valenwood would be great for TESVI, lots of weird and cool lore from there and hopefully it'd mean a resolution or at least a continuation of the Aldmeri Dominion thread. And the walking tree-city has apparently rooted itself so Bethesda's got a portion of their retcon work already done! :shepface:

Honestly doubt they'd pick those provinces though, freaky cannibal elf tribes and bunches of different cat people are probably too "risky" for the series now. Hammerfell seems like the good bet- which wouldn't be a bad idea either. Still could mean more opportunity to beat up Thalmor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

If you feel like doing an archaeological dig through the ancient internet you can find people kvetching about Morrowind in comparison to Daggerfall shortly after it was released. "Dumbing down the series", "not a true RPG", "appealing to casual gamers with whizzycool features and graphics", etc.

Now, I think there are legitimate complaints that the series has been stripped of depth over time and that certain features seem catered to an audience that doesn't really care for this RPG nerd poo poo. But on the other hand, it's a bit comforting to know that the more things change, the more they stay the same. :allears:

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Yeah, in all honesty, I think it's a mistake for Bethesda to try to go for large scale epic fantasy battles kinda deal. Like evidently it feels like a remnant of the LoTR era for Obligion and Skyrim, where they tried to emulate that high despite the engine just not working for it.

In TES, you're an adventurer, usually crawling through backwater places, thieving, delving in a dungeon etc.

I think Bethesda could try to develop a more intricate dueling system of sorts and get wayyyy more mileage out of a plotline that hinges on individual 1v1 combats (even in Skyrim's setting that could have worked, if you made it so there was a truce between the Empire and Nords and both are trying to recruit the dragonborn as an apolitical force of nature to just start challenging the enemy's generals for 1v1 duels and ending the war that way).

I would be really happy if the plot in TES6 dovetails more nicely with the diplomacy/subterfuge angle of politics in High Rock. Having a high-stakes duel with a political rival in his great hall as the audience gasps and cheers with every parry and riposte, or ambushing an important nobleman when he's traveling and cutting down three of his guards like you're Inigo Montaya before fighting him 1v1, all sound endlessly more enjoyable than having 6 guys in a field whiffing at another 6 guys in a field and calling it the "Battle for Anvil" or whatever. Put it on a gallant vs rogue scale where assassinating and underhanded roguery puts you on one end, and challenging your enemies to an open duel puts you on the other end, and have each of the main quests be viable in either direction.

Yeah they missed a trick not bringing the Arena back for Skyrim

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Iirc Vvardenfell had only recently been opened for settlement by outlanders a couple decades ago, they make a deal out of how foreigners used to be restricted to just the Foreign Quarter of Vivec City. So all the imperial towns are boom towns.

I tried to get into ESO but ended up just wishing it was a singleplayer game. I guess you can play it as one but the MMO trappings just detracted from the experience imo

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I will die remembering the name of the Dunmer who shittalks you in the first minute of Oblivion.

Valen Dreth. You mother fucker...

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I've had issues using Mod Organizer for Oblivion, in particular with OBSE plugins. OBMM is pretty busted at this point. Wrye Bash has never steered me wrong. :shrug:

Lawman 0 posted:

All this effort to avoid potato faces and rubber band enemy types.

Thaaaat's modding!

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Yeah iirc the main forum community basically died with the first forums, only a handful of people bothered to move to the new ones with the crappier interface.

The thing about modding knowledge is true, though, so many questions I've had have been solved by Google leading me to old-rear end archived forum posts. Searching Discord logs sucks in comparison.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I'm the person who jumps around and explores all the wierd corners of the map and inevitably finds the one place you can get wedged between rocks. ` "tcl" is my best friend. I dunno how many saves I would have had to reload if I were playing on console.

Not to mention how many busted quests I've had to setstage through even in vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

There's a thing among Morrowind fans to refer to Argonians as "farm tools" and make jokes about racial chattel slavery. It's pretty gross and edgy!