Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I think the shittiness of Witcher's world is overstated. Even the original game isn't as grimdark as some people make it out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Average Bear posted:

There is like a 1% chance they developed a new engine between Fallout 76 and now, so it's very likely still the Morrowind engine and stuck with the same linear journal system.

Now that’s not fair, they added radiant quests to the engine in Skyrim to make things even more generic and unengaging

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was bored enough a few weeks ago to self flagellate myself with top 10 youtube videos, and I watched one about the top 10 random secret items in Morrowind or something. I haven't played it in well over 10 years, and whenever I did play I was mostly content to putter around and never get very far. I was blown away by how secret poo poo was hidden in that game. It makes Skyrim look so bad in comparison. Hidden in the bottom of a crypt there's a passage that goes down to a giant rear end cave where there's a huge viking funeral laid out. Then you fly up to the ceiling of the giant cave where the tiny alcove is with a little shrine with a unique mask. Why is there it? Because Morrowind mother fucker. No quest no hints no indications whatsoever.

That specific cave is actually brought up by a drunken Nord in Vivec if you give him something to drink. His directions are pretty mediocre, though, and there’s no hint that the Daedric helm is there. All Daedric armour is hidden, actually, and to get a full set you need to either kill the chillest wizard on Vvardenfell or explore the entire game, including expansions.

To be needlessly fair, the quests in Morrowind weren’t much to write home about - if anything, they were even more fetch questy than Oblivion and Skyrim. The writing around the quests was so much better, though, which made all the difference.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I think you’re overstating the relative complexity of Bethesda games’ interactivity. Keep in mind that there’s been essentially no change to the scale of interactivity since Oblivion. It was certainly impressive at the time, and still is to an extent, but I’m not willing to accept that they figured out how to make a table setting flip out when you sit down 13 years ago and that’s as far as it’s possible to push interactivity.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

The thing there, is that there's really no game that has a comparable number of moving parts going. And the ones that do approach it have the same kind of bugs that Bethesda games do or are even worse.

Skyrim’s interactivity is at the same scale as Oblivion, which came out in 2006, was playable on the Xbox 360 with 512mb of RAM, and did not require a harddrive.

I think that particularly with a new console generation coming eventually, there’s no technical limitation to Bethesda improving its distant land implementation, or adding seamless interiors.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

Many of the things I complained about are getting attention, such as the character art, animation, combat, AI, and physics.

lol

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

thinking hard about how Bethesda Softworks LLC are going to navigate the interaction of fictional and literal politics as they iteratively build upon the lore established in previous Elder Scrolls games

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

I will say that, as far as I know, those particular models appear only there in FF7R. FF7R doesn't reuse a lot of assets, it's why it's got a 100gb install.

That screenshot is kind of bad, but that area is kind of a junk cellar for Don Corneo, who does seem to hoard stuff, and the coloring and layout of the geodes actually reminded me of the tray of soul gems in the Balmora mages guild more than anything.

Maybe I'm just dumb, though.

they look like the crystals and orbs in the weapon upgrade menu to me

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

cargohills posted:

Happens to you in the sense that you see it happen, rather than having it in the past. You’re also still the guy who does practically everything important, barring becoming the Emperor and also a dragon.

you literally watch an NPC fight and beat the final boss. is this a bit you're doing

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

oblivion is a very ugly game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

John F Bennett posted:

I played probably close to 1000 hours of Oblivion unmodded on console. It's fine as it is. Just try it out vanilla, you may even like it.

i'm sorry for whatever made you this way