Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Ask me about CHIM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Still waiting on Skywind so I can laugh at it

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Lord Superchrome posted:

I'm a couple of hours into Skyrim, my first time ever playing an Elder Scrolls game, and I'm pretty surprised by how crummy the NPC dialog is. The voice acting varies from so-so to terrible, and people seem to completely stop talking at random times. It yanks me out of the gigantic immersive not-quite-Game-of-Thrones world they've obviously worked super hard to create. I nearly gave up a few times in the first hour or so, but now that the boilerplate RPG stuff is out of the way and my adventure has begun, I can see why everyone speaks so highly of it.

This has been Someone's brand new opinion on a game that everyone has already played.

The world, on the surface, seems to be quite Game of Thrones-like. However, you'd be surprised at the kind of stuff you can find in the background and lore. I recommend reading the in-game book The Monomyth as a good introduction point.

Also, nice video on comparing Skyrim and Morrowind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wujJnlsJh4

Edit: ^Oblivion's enjoyable if you tear the level scaling out and get rid of the potato-faced people. It's got some really memorable quests.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

I never made this connection. It's so obvious now!

I like TES lore, but trying to talk to anyone about it is a case in futility. Either they have no idea what I'm talking about or they take anything Kirkbride said post-departure as canon and assume I already know.

gently caress Pelinal being a cyborg from the future. That is some shark jumping bullshit.

Also, while I was aware of Morrowind, Oblivion was my first elder scrolls and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The whole Pelinal-being-an-android thing is subtle, but he's definitely from the future, considering he's wearing plate mail in a time where no one but Dwemer had it and he screams about the 2nd Era Emperor Reman while helping establish the 1st Empire.

^Well, at least there's Shivering Isles. That was pretty fun.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
While you can take things MK says with a grain of salt, it's clear that he still has quite a bit of influence with the developers. Certain details from his stuff post-departure has made it into the games. Painted cows as offerings to the giants, the final Dragon Priest mask you find in the dungeon outside of time having tusks in reference to Aka-Tusk, and so on are from works he made during the development of Skyrim, so it seems like they're still following his plans somewhat.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I still dunno how they hosed up so hard on the guild quests. Did they fire or lose everyone who made the quests for Oblivion or something? I know that Emil is still around, but I guess he was busy because the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quest lines (which he worked on in Oblivion) sucked in Skyrim. I mean, seriously, how do you go from an interesting quest line in which they cleverly foreshadow all of the developments and ends on a great note to a quest line where you gotta save some rear end in a top hat's honey farm and sell your soul for nothing?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Maybe it's because I can't run ENB, but they're even paler in my game. It's still a good mod, just... troublesome.

Edit: I just noticed that the female imperial looks high as gently caress in those pics.

I dunno why, but the Khajiit look really loving off-putting. I think they need a lot more work. That and the orc female looks like she has googly eyes.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

If I recall correctly, this is supposed to be Clavicus Vile.

And this is Boethiah, surrounded by the House of Troubles.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wonder if Bethesda will ever stop being pussies and will actually talk with fans about their games like they used to before people chewed them out over Oblivion and their various design decisions.

Like, didn't Ken Rolston admit that he made Cyrodiil a standard fantasy land so LOTR movie fans would buy the game?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Fan_Interview_II

quote:

6. Concerning the Dynamic Quest Compass, how might it replace the previously text-based instructions Elder Scrolls fans have become accustomed to? Furthermore, will the compass be an option which can be turned on and/or off at the player's leisure?

It's a lifesaver to us and everyone who has played it. We should have done it long ago. We use it to show you where a goal is when we want you to know about it. A good example is the first quest in Morrowind, to find the Spymaster in Balmora. Most people who played Morrowind never find him, because they don't like to read directions, they get confused and lost. Now picture him roaming around town, going to the store, eating at the tavern, locking his house at night. And you have a quest to talk to this guy, all you want is a little info so you can keep playing. He's impossible to find without this quest target. And we want you to find him, we don't want it to be a puzzle, or frustrating. So no, you cannot turn it off. Trust me, you cannot play without it, it's not distracting at all, and it's 100% necessary to find things we tell you to find. Now, we don't always give you a quest target. There are many quests where the person you're talking to does not know where something is, and you will not get one, and you have to bribe people to find out where something is, or we just want you to find it on your own.

:suicide: this is what developers think of the average person who plays video games

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I really wanna see Elsweyr get the next game, although it's almost certainly gonna be Hammerfell or Alinor. Khajiit are pretty cool in the lore. I liked that one book in Skyrim which tells a story where a Khajiit becomes a sort of avatar for Lorkhan and joins Wulfharth in the Battle for Red Mountain.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 3, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Paarthurnax pretty much explains it that the Elder Scrolls are basically a way to simulate what happens at any given time.

Unless you use them to try and figure out what the gently caress happened during a Dragon Break. Then you get the prophetic equivalent of an "ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND" message.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Moryrie posted:

Eh.. not really the main writer.. he's like in the top 5 writers? but he didn't write most of the in-game books (that would be Ted Peterson), he didn't work on the main quest (Ken Rolston), and he didn't do the faction questlines (good ones by Douglas Goodall, meh ones by Todd Howard). Basically he just does occasional alien-crazy stuff, and a whole lot of other people fill out the rest. Man honestly gets wayyyy more credit than he deserves because he interacts with people who cling onto his every word and has a stupid self insert that he won't STFU about.

Also worth noting the ONLY dude who still works at Bethesda that I mentioned is Todd Howard. Everyone else left after Morrowind, or after Oblivion. Read more here.

Kurt Kuhlmann was convinced to return during Skyrim.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
An interesting facet of the Dragonborn DLC is that, in one of Kirkbride's older works, he mentions Hermaeus Mora as being related to Akatosh and gives him the title "The Gardener of Men." Now, one of the Dragonborn DLCs uses this title for old Mora for one of the quests, which may confirm that it is viewed as canon.

Also, Miraak's plan, judging from the fact that the Black Book you use to enter the area of Apocrypha he lives in mentions mantling and the Godhead, appears to be that he is attempting to make the All-Maker's Stones into Towers, which would allow him to mantle the All-Maker (which would be Akatosh before the Marukhati Selectives broke him into fragments, or Aka-Tusk for short) and thus achieve Amaranth, creating a new world for himself. This theory is explained better in this image.

So if you think about it, the plot of Skyrim is the following:

Akatosh, who is also Lorkhan, sends his soul into a human, Miraak, to stop Alduin, who is Akatosh, from destroying the world. Miraak, however, is a lazy gently caress and doesn't do it, instead joining up with Hermaeus Mora, who is left-overs of Akatosh. So centuries later, Akatosh chooses another person to share his soul, the Last Dragonborn, to stop Akatosh from enslaving/devouring mankind because Akatosh is currently serving Akatosh's left-overs instead of Akatosh, and secretly Akatosh is planning to become Akatosh. Luckily for everyone, Akatosh stops Akatosh from achieving his goals.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

Well, Morrowind was an overall win, I mean, if Dagoth Ur had won he would have, at best, infected the entirety of Tamriel with a disease that drives them mad and horribly mishapen while destroying all who oppose him with Akulakhan. At worst, and by MK lore, he would have joined all of Tamriel's intelligence to himself and started the world over with himself in charge of the new Godhead. I mean, yes, the collateral damage of the Red Year was certainly bad, but the alternative is Dagoth Ur wins.

Not to mention in Oblivion the alternative is total destruction.

It's death by degrees, basically. Amputate the limb to save the body from immediate danger, but what happens when you keep having to amputate?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wonder what happened to make the quality of writing for guild quests drop in Skyrim. The Thieves Guild in Oblivion had very good writing. I honestly felt bad for the Grey Fox when he revealed what exactly the Cowl did to him. Whereas in Skyrim, I hated everyone in the Thieves Guild. I hated Karliah for forcing me to be a cultist, I hated Brynjolf for being a loving idiot, and I hated everyone else for being bland.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Hopefully they don't do something stupid like rushing their next game out again. I used to think they were just idiots that thought Radiant Quests were awesome for whatever reason, but now I feel like they ran out of time midway and had to add a bunch of poo poo in a relatively short time or risk getting fired by whatever coke-head executive thought of the 11/11/11 release date, and Radiant quests were the easiest thing they could do.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
If you want an easy mode way to start your game, pick a Wood Elf and make him or her an Archer with the Birthsign of the Lover. Congratulations, you now have a character with 45 Marksmanship and a whopping 85 Agility at the start. Take advantage out of the fact that you will rarely miss with a bow to quickly level Agility to 100, and then branch out into your other skills, especially Long Blades as the best weapons in the game tend to be in that category.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Bethesda announces Hiking Simulator 2016.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Maybe the extra development time will do good for them. I feel as though they're taking their sweet time to make a new game simply because Skyrim was rushed out too fast and it didn't have as much as they wanted in it.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The biggest gap was between Daggerfall and Morrowind, with 6 years between them. Of course, they made a few games in between so I'm not sure it counts that much.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I like how most Khajiit lore is just them sitting around and getting high while making fun of the elves and humans for not getting it, man, and that the best part is that they're probably actually on to something meaningful.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

quote:

Kier-jo thinks it is very much like a thing an Elder Way-warder would say.

"The Weakest Souls, called Men, will bring Sithis into every Quarter."

"The Worshippers of the Unnamed Lord, know as 'Argonians' on Nirni, are the Descendents of Boethiah and the Serpent-men."

"The Khajiit, created as Servants by the Aldmer, Rebelled against the Natural Order and Conspired with the Doom Drum to End the Merethic Era."

Kier-jo hears it all before.

Tiber Septim was seen in more than one part of Tamriel at the same time and you are content.
Stormcrown was a Breton, no a Nord, no an Atmoran, and you sit and play in the sand.
A numidium rises in the West and does Eight Things for the Psijics and you do not question.
Your monkeys dance on the Tower and the stars change and you do not remember.
You read the words of the Sermon, but you are blind to the truths between them.
The darkness is reborn, crowned and conquering, and you pull the covers tighter and sleep.

When will you realize what happened to the Dwarves?

When will you Wake from the Elven Lie that all Men believe?
:catdrugs:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wonder where Kirkbride is posting now. I recall him having some sort of tantrum on r/teslore over something or other and demanded the mods ban him.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Shab posted:

Did the community ever figure out how to replace Morrowind's animations? Going back and playing it over the years (as I have many times) the thing that strikes me as dated every single time are the awkward animations, but I seem to recall that they are especially difficult for modders to do anything with.

That's something that'll have to wait for OpenMW 1.0 or so.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Shame. They really used to enjoy interacting with the fans back then. Nowadays they only talk to people in publisher-sanctioned interviews. Only one who really does post with the fans these days is MK and he gets rather pissy about the littlest poo poo.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wish that guy making the new faces for each race in Morrowind would hurry up and add new hairs. It's the one thing holding me back from installing them because they look really nice but they clash hard with the early 2000's hair from vanilla Morrowind.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

:circlefap:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
On the topic of sound, I'd like to post this to reiterate just how important it is in TES. It's essentially the programming language (pun possibly intended) of the world, and as such sound-based magics such as the Thu'um, swordsinging, and tonal architecture are the most powerful. Hell, if you consider dancing to be the language of the body, then that's what broke Akatosh in the first place.

(Read top from bottom, dunno why the hell whoever saved this picture first didn't just find each individual post and assemble them in order instead of making this retarded quote pyramid)

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The Thalmor way is essentially blinding yourself to the higher truth that the world is a dream and that you can rise above through discovering CHIM and Amaranth. Basically they're that one guy in the original Matrix who sells out all the other humans because he's ok with living in a simulation.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I do like the idea of Dunmer ancestors continuing to pester their living descendants after death.

:ghost: WoooOOOOooo you're putting too much saltrice in that soup, Thelsa~~~~
:mad: gently caress off Grandma, you're dead and no one likes you.
:ghost: WoooOOOOooo you should write to your parents more often, Thelsa~~~~~

That's a thing in Glorantha, which TES takes a gently caress-ton of inspiration from (Ken Rolston, one of the lead devs on Morrowind and Oblivion, worked on Glorantha before coming to Bethesda, IIRC). There's a great moment in King of Dragon Pass, a game based off of the Glorantha setting, where your ancestor spirits appear in your hall and start complaining that one of your clan's leaders speaks in nothing but metaphors and it really pisses them off because they have no idea what he's saying.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
IIRC, Dunmer (outside of House Telvanni) practice what is technically necromancy but it's only done to people in their clan and usually the spirit consents to being brought back (although they do raise dead miscreants in their family to guard their shrines and tombs as a way of atoning for past failures). So, it'd piss a Dunmer off if he saw a Westerner raising a corpse but it would also make him extremely pissed off if you said that him calling his ancestor spirit to defend him was necromancy.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I still dunno what the hell is up with the Skyrim UI. I really do not give a single poo poo about some loving pretty constellation pictures for the perk charts and giant gently caress-huge model of items on the right side of the screen, I just want to be able to navigate menus easily and quickly. If I want to know what the item looks like, I'll loving equip it or drop it or some poo poo.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
https://soundcloud.com/musicbyallinall/nerevar-rising-surf-version

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I got the Skyrim artbook and while it's full of pretty great art, it's also depressing because it reveals how :effort: Bethesda is. Like, there's a few parts about how they wanted Whiterun's throne to be made of a naturally formed quartz node and how once you were initiated into the Companions you could give them a shield to put on Jorrvaskr, but they decided both of those would be really hard to do so they gave up. They gave up on making a fancy chair and a minor side-quest in the first city of the game.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Oblivion has pretty fun quests, while Skyrim just doesn't have that much good quests in it.

I sure hope that Bethesda asks Arkane how to make fun melee combat next time around because they certainly need help.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
lol, played Skyrim Special Edition and it is about as trash as I expected. Audio is noticeably compressed to all hell, the textures have all been shoddily upscaled to 4k, the lighting system is terrible and badly optimized, and more. I suppose modders will yet again have to bail Bethesda's lazy rear end out.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It sure would be nice if you could at least find good poo poo in the dungeons when your quest inevitably leads to them that isn't level-scaled randomized horseshit. gently caress, in Morrowind I could at least hope that when I pop into a random dungeon I can find something crazy like the Dragonbone Cuirass or Eleidon's Ward.

I wish somebody with half a brain would interview Bethesda and ask them why they frequently make baffling decisions like deciding to remove all stats from the game on a whim, making Speech checks chance-based despite even the most casual of gamers thinking that is a terrible idea, and so on. Most interviewers I've seen talk to them act like they're talking to royalty or some poo poo.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Norns posted:

lol what?

You ever see someone from IGN or some poo poo talk to Todd Howard? They always look like they're about to loving jizz themselves because the Skyrim guy is in their presence and speaking directly to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

That's what makes Bethesda's games so appealing to such a wide range of audiences, though? Personally, it saves me the need to spoil the game / look through the Things To Know Before I Play thread, and that's a net gain for me.

I thought what made it appealing to masses was the oodles of money they spend on advertising and the fact that until The Witcher 3 dropped there was no frame of reference for open-world fantasy games outside of TES and people hate playing old games for some reason so they're never going to touch Morrowind or, hell, even Oblivion.

poo poo, Geralt is a character who cannot express emotions well and speaks in monotone and I like him and his pals way more than anybody in Skyrim.