Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just realized that if there were any other water-based elves in TES, they'd be known as the mermer. :rimshot:

There are water-based elves. They're called Maormer. They get mentioned in books as early as Morrowind and they make an appearance in ESO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think the mistake you're making is in comparing remaking Morrowind to doing absolutely nothing, when the proper comparison would be between a remake and a new game. They'd comparatively take about the same about of work when it comes to modelling, textures, voice-acting, rewriting dialogue, etc. - and I can't see a world where "Morrowind again!" would make more money than The Elder Scrolls VI.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

indyrenegade posted:

We also live in a world where there are about 5 or 6 Skyrim releases so...

Releasing a barely changed remaster of a game from 2011 is quite a lot easier than rebuilding a game from 2002 from the ground up.

edit: You could always go for the Half-Life: Source method, but (a) Bethesda's engine is really bad and (b) nobody would actually be excited about that.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 11, 2018

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

There's no skills at character creation - you get a small bonus to a few skills based on race, as well as an ability. High Elves start with 150 Magicka points instead of 100, and Bretons get a 25% resistance to magic attacks. They both also start with an additional spell, as do Dark Elves. High Elves and Bretons also mainly get bonuses to magic skills. However these differences don't make much difference beyond the very early game and you should just pick whatever you think looks coolest.

Mod-wise you'll probably want something to rebalance Destruction, as the lack of damage scaling to level makes it really bad at later levels compared to other attack skills. You should probably ask around in the Skyrim modding thread for that. Other than that you'll need the Unofficial Patch for Skyrim Special Edition. I think the SE always comes with the DLC so that should just be one download.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

morrowind truly is the pinnacle of conversation systems, i say, as i scream PROFESSION and BACKGROUND at everyone i see so i can find out which of the 10 paragraphs of generic text they use

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Decided to finally do a big all-Elder Scrolls playthrough. Started with Arena, obviously, which is actually quite fun until you realise the whole game is just doing a side-dungeon so some guy will tell you where the real dungeon is, bumbling through identical corridors, waving your mouse around and occasionally answering a riddle. Managed to forge ahead and beat it though, all thanks to walkthroughs and how completely broken the Shield, Reflect and Absorb spells are. Also thanks to a random sword I found that had thousands of charges of an area of effect fire spell. Not a very good game but fascinating to play given where the series has ended up.

Next, Daggerfall. An incredible leap up from Arena graphically, thanks to the dungeons and cities being actual 3D environments instead of pseudo-3D square blocks like Wolfenstein. Interiors of houses make more sense too - in Arena every tavern was the size of a shed on the outside and a warehouse on the inside. Also a leap in that cities aren't as much of a pain to navigate (wow! inns are already marked on the map! thank you!) and there are more unique characters, although what that means in practice is that there are a handful of named royals who give you quests and loredumps.

Unlike Arena, though, I couldn't stand this enough to get to the ending. The actual dungeon crawling is more fun, because the dungeons sort of look like real places and aren't all flat, but level requirements for the main quest mean that you have to grind enemies in unimportant dungeons and do sidequests, which are all randomly generated and awful (and sometimes literally impossible). It would probably be fun if the game had a smaller scale and focused on curated dungeons, or at least didn't make the poo poo random ones as necessary.

Skipped the spin-off games from the 90s because from what I've heard Battlespire is basically Daggerfall but buggier and with the complexity of the story regressed back to "kill the bad men", and Redguard is a lovely Tomb Raider clone.

Currently playing Morrowind. Have played it before but never actually completed it - I had about a hundred hours on record across loads of starting characters, and the furthest I'd ever got in the main quest was to go visit the Vivec informants for Caius Cosades. Now have another 60 hours on record with the main quest done and onto Tribunal.

Main lesson has been that the low level Morrowind experience is more fun than the high level one. Might have been because I was using the mod to make all attribute increases be by 5 points, but once you have skills and good equipment every enemy that isn't a spellcaster is totally trivialised, and even spellcasters are often trivial too (I beat every Ash Vampire with a one-hit stealth attack from my Daedric dai-katana).

Combat isn't that great to begin with anyway, since it does just boil down into clicking over and over and sometimes eating potions. Also, top tip: don't use short blade as your only weapon! You'll just hurt your finger with how much you need to click compared to the better weapons when fighting tougher enemies.

Levelling high also hurts the fun of the exploration; when I no longer see the wildlife as a threat I have no problem with just taking straight A to B journeys and levitating over the mountains instead of actually having to be cautious, learn the roads and follow directions.

I was also surprised by how much level scaling there is in the game. Unique NPCs and items are obviously hand-placed, but basically all wilderness, tomb and daedra enemies scale to some degree. The average tomb at level 1 will be full of ghosts and skeletons, but at level 20 will be inhabited by Bone Lords; and the wilderness around Seyda Neen starts consisting mostly of rats and kwama foragers and ends up filled with Netches and Blighted Cliff Racers.

I have actually enjoyed Morrowind so far, despite this parade of complaints. It's got a very unique atmosphere and visually has aged surprisingly well, the background lore is great and the chosen one story is done better than most are. But the problems stand out when most talk about the game tends to be singing its praises.

EDIT: Should probably mention Tribunal as well. Not impressed so far! I might just be all Morrowinded out but Mournhold is really ugly compared to the cities in the base game, the sewers are boring and I don't care about King Helseth's various plots. Some interesting side quests though - that combined with the sewer goblins and closed off city feel very proto-Oblivion.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

There's a bug in the game which lets you repeatedly do the same first dungeon (Stonekeep) over and over again. Well I think it could be any of the main quest dungeons that you repeat, but Stonekeep is the easiest and fastest so it was the one used here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmDOang3O0w

(This is part of an anthology run, so you can also from there look at how Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim see their glitches exploited to skip most of the game content.)

Thanks for linking this. The Daggerfall run in this series is absolutely fascinating for how totally broken it is.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Tribunal is a neat city with lots of little sidequests and has the museum of artifacts. If you like collecting or like money go there

I do love collecting and also money, although as far as I can tell there is basically nothing to spend money on once you have the best equipment. I mostly just use it to buy books and carefully arrange them on shelves. I also have a collection of helmets.

Truly, the greatest tragedy of the Elder Scrolls series is that you can't buy houses (without mods) in the game that it's easiest to decorate in.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I completely forgot about enchantments actually. I tried to buy one once but clicking the button to change it from on cast to on equip didn't do anything so I gave up. To be honest when it comes to the enchanting and spellmaking Oblivion is my favourite, mostly because I at least understand how to use it in that.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Well looks like the forums aren't dead yet so I will continue my Elder Scrolls talking. I finished playing the Morrowind DLCs. Tribunal has an okay story and one very good sidequest (the one where you have to remember the lines to a play) but is mostly crap. None of the new dungeons or enemies are interesting at all and Mournhold is very ugly. Also some Imperial guy muttered about wanting to eat a baby's arse through a sewer grate.

Bloodmoon is much, much better because the best part of Morrowind was always exploring the landmass and this actually gives you more to explore. The story is really boring, but that is made up for by it being insanely fun to become a werewolf and leap around the island in like 10 seconds. The Skaal pilgrimage quest is also a bit annoying and as always the directions the questgivers tell you are complete poo poo, which is made even worse by Solstheim not having roads. I was constantly wishing for the mercy of the quest arrow.

I didn't finish any of the faction storylines because I wasn't having fun with them. They sometimes have fun intrigue and stuff but most of the experience is just endless miserably poo poo fetch quests with an array of mostly interchangeable characters.

Moving on to Oblivion, I've started trying to mod it. It was running very smoothly when I tested it pre-mods but now the music isn't working and it's stuttering like hell. Think I'll do a clean reinstall and try to mod it again without trying to use Wrye Bash. Maybe go for an even more minimal list of just the unofficial patches and maybe Darn UI.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Uninstalled and reinstalled and now it's crashing on the Bethesda logo every time. Whoops!

edit: Had a look and, although they disappeared on uninstall, the ini files in My Documents hadn't actually been deleted and now Oblivion is trying to load DarnUI fonts that it doesn't have.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 26, 2020

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

John F Bennett posted:

How about just doing a vanilla run.

I was pretty much going to do this anyway, but with the smaller UI, some minor fixes... and, most important by far, also a book arranging mod.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It's working smoothly again on a reinstall. I think I might actually just keep the base UI because even though the menus are too big it is very nostalgic. Now to redo the patches and some other minor things and get going! Think the problem may have been caused by the stutter remover as I've seen reference to it targeting FPS to 30. I can't think of any other likely culprits at least. Also I now realise I should have had a better look at the Nexus page because you can change its FPS settings. Will edit the max to 60.

(Btw, first impressions on a return to Oblivion - every game I have played in the series has been a graphical leap from the last and this is no different. Everything feels massive compared to in Morrowind - I fast-travelled to Cheydinhal with a test character and the church there just absolutely towers over the place. The first dungeon is beautiful too, and it's great seeing actual traps and moving pieces in the environment. Only major negative so far is that the controls for the menu aren't very easy to work out.)

cargohills fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 26, 2020

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

My guess is a very small chance of them revealing something about Starfield and a 0% chance of anything related to TES 6.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I downloaded OBSE and the stutter remover again and now it's back to crashing on the Bethesda logo at start-up, whether I run it through the OBSE loader or the default one. Other mods installed are the unofficial patches and the OBSE engine bug fixer.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Sky Shadowing posted:

Make sure all the unofficial patches for whatever smaller DLCs you have are loading after their respective DLC.

This was the problem - I had forgotten to reinstall BOSS to get the load order right.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I have now been replaying Oblivion for about 16 hours, if the play time on my save game file is correct. Having a great time with it - the nostalgia helps, but it has much more engaging quests, combat and dungeon exploration than the previous games, including Morrowind. It also has a totally unique feeling to it, with its bright pretty world and a mostly light-hearted campy tone.

I've been avoiding using fast-travel and if I'm going somewhere I haven't been before, or if there is a route available that I haven't used, I'll always do it manually. It is nice to have the option as well, and after dealing with the often unclear directions of Morrowind it's also very handy to have quest arrows.

So far I've been following the path of the main quest but stopping along the way to explore dungeons and do the sidequests that I've came across. I've not even been east of the Imperial City yet!

Level scaling hasn't proven a major problem yet, but I'll be ready with the difficulty slider when it does get too annoying. I do get why it's frustrating but to be honest I think having a decent challenge at high level is better than having high level enemies (like Ash Vampires) be total pushovers as in Morrowind if you fight them when you are also high level, even though their solution wasn't quite perfect.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

I loved Oblivion when I was doing the thieves guild, DB quests and random little sidequests like the one with the haunted mansion

And then i started to hate it when I did the fighters guild, the mages guild or the main quest

Can you spot the difference

I've never played the Fighters' Guild before - this playthrough will be my first time - but I remember liking the Mages' Guild. I particularly like how it was structured, with you having to go around the various guilds and get recommendations. Feels like you're part of an organisation, and that you're getting something special when you finally get to the Arcane University. It would be nice to have a few side quests centred around local guilds to give you more reason to visit, but the overall quest line is more engaging than in Morrowind (in which most quests involve living the epic fantasy of becoming a delivery boy) and the Guild feels more grounded in the world than the College does in Skyrim (which may as well exist in its own tiny bubble universe).

its really not

it has some high points but yikes lol

It's good actually. The scaling's a bit weird and it doesn't look as good as another game made on the tail-end of the same console cycle, but basically every single change from Morrowind is a good one. More convenient spell-use (although not as fun as wielding them in your hands in Skyrim), combat where you get to do different attacks and actively block instead of just straining your finger clicking, characters in the world move around instead of either staying completely static or patrolling in a space the size of a tiny box, thing can actually happen in quests that are mildly more complex than "deliver thing to person" or "kill dudes", not having to constantly pause to read and re-read directions...

cargohills fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 30, 2020

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Kamrat posted:

I believe you don't ever have to use a single spell to finish the mages guild and become arch-mage either, but I might remember it wrong

I don’t really care about this. The way the skill requirements for Morrowind worked were totally unfun and to be honest I can’t really imagine any way to do them that would actually be particularly fun.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The human and elf faces look very impressive (aside from some of the hair options looking dumb), but the beast race and Orc faces look absolutely dreadful.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Jazerus posted:

oblivion consists of a bunch of objective improvements over morrowind that end up not mattering because the setting sucks in comparison. and you can't fix the setting. you can get halfway to a good setting but it takes an ungodly long modlist to even do that

The setting is really good though. It’s not trying to do the same thing as Morrowind but that doesn’t make silly, colourful D&D-esque fantasy not also good.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Maybe a controversial take here then: the main story of Morrowind sounds excellent when you read about it but isn’t actually very well told in the game. I don’t know where or when but Todd Howard once made a comment that Morrowind told an excellent story about something that happened millennia ago, and that for Oblivion they instead wanted to make the story be stuff that actually happens to you.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Happens to you in the sense that you see it happen, rather than having it in the past. You’re also still the guy who does practically everything important, barring becoming the Emperor and also a dragon.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

John F Bennett posted:

See, this was nice and fun the first time you did it. It kinda sucked balls on subsequent plays.

Yeah, I’d imagine it would be irritating if you wanted to have access to spellmaking on a different character.

BBJoey posted:

you literally watch an NPC fight and beat the final boss. is this a bit you're doing

Given how underwhelming the final bosses are in Morrowind and Skyrim I’m not sure this is that much of a problem.

(Something interesting is that the boss in Morrowind is basically the same as the boss in Arena - it’s best to ignore the scary unique spellcaster and make a beeline right to the magic thing that’s keeping him alive.)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

GorfZaplen posted:

Morrowind's final boss is fairly hype though? You stab a giant magical heart and cause it to explode sending scary mask man falling into lava as the bridge to his giant robot collapses. Morrowind combat is so jank that a traditional final boss would be a lot worse

Maybe it's just experiencing it for the first time in 2020 rather than 2002 but I did not find it especially exciting. Also I didn't know the lava thing would happen so I just stabbed him to death and then walked away.

EDIT: It's also basically got no real gameplay to it as you mention because the combat is awful, so it just feels like you walk up to the end game button and press it.

I would like to note that I did actually enjoy Morrowind, and the world and lore are definitely very interesting, but the way people talk about it just breezes right past all the poo poo parts.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Is there a worse questline than skyrim thieves guild? Maybe the hortator/nerevarine section of Morrowind. I've tediously bumped up my reputation to 20 just to skip that part more than once.

Oblivion has the same problem to a lesser degree but every single quest that even slightly involves disposition is so irritating in Morrowind, because of how poo poo Speechcraft is as a skill. Happy they basically got rid of it in Skyrim. New Vegas is probably the one time it sort of works in a Bethesda-style game.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 1, 2020

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

GorfZaplen posted:

I didn't actually beat it until a few years ago so I didn't experience it in 2002 either :) The end being very finicky is very fitting for a game that crashes as much as Morrowind though

Surprisingly I think Morrowind only crashed once in my time playing it. So far Oblivion has only crashed on me once too - it's a miracle!

Cantorsdust posted:

Wow just a whole bunch of bad takes in this thread. Speech craft is great; I like how it helps to differentiate characters like the “native-ish Dunmer bard” from an Orc fighter with no charisma and adds a mechanical benefit to non-combat skills. And I may be the only one that liked the wheel mini game for speech craft in Oblivion.

It doesn't add a mechanical benefit to non-combat skills anywhere but some quests where you need to get some guy to have a high disposition before he'll say the thing that gets you to progress, or merchant prices. Otherwise you're going into dungeons and exploring the world as usual and you've hosed yourself by picking a useless skill instead of something good.

Deltasquid posted:

EDIT: and also yeah a jungle would have sucked. I like LoTR Cyrodiil and I loved how Anvil reminded me more of a mediterranean setting rather than fantasy England. Every city oozed charm in its design and the imperial city blew my 12 year-old mind. I look forward to a hypothetical Daggerfall setting, I like bright colours and warm seas. I’m a bit sad it looks like we won’t be getting the Summerset Isles but Hammerell/high rock is cool too.

I am also a big fan of the cities in Oblivion.Think that was one of the few areas (along with the quest writing) where Skyrim was a step back - although there were about as many major cities, almost half of them were just tiny villages (e.g. Morthal, Dawnstar, Winterhold) with the same architecture and not much going on. Different series but Fallout 4 was another major step back on that front seeing as there's basically only one real city in the game.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Randaconda posted:

I didn't mind the small holds in Skyrim, really. It's tundra, having as many cities as it already has is stretching it.

It’s not just that they’re small, but they’re very samey too. The environments have variation but the buildings are mostly small wooden things that I’m pretty sure come from the exact same tilesets or whatever.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

I was about to chime in that I think the cities of Skyrim do a good job of having varied appearances and styles. Then I remembered that's my mods.

The 5 main ones are good, it's just that the small ones are rubbish.

Doc Hawkins posted:

"wow sounds much worse than what we got" - some people apparently

You wouldn't worry about this as much if you did what I did: pick up all the books with the intention of reading them eventually, never get round to it, and if you do read them instantly forget what was in it.

Seriously though it's not a big deal. Jungles are still difficult as hell graphically, and they wanted to do a traditional fantasy story set in the center of the Empire, so the one or two books that mentioned the place being a jungle were retconned. Oh no. How tragic.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Would honestly like to see the Empire disappear, give all the other cultures room to breathe (I do not say this as a Stormcloak sympathizer).

The Emperor is getting old. Don't know how much longer he'll hang on. So is the whole Empire, for that matter. Getting old, that is. The Emperor and the legions have held the Empire together for hundreds of years. It's been a good thing, by and large. But maybe it's time for a change. Time for something young and new. What? No idea. Because I'm old. Old dog doesn't get new ideas. But maybe young folks like you should try some new ideas. I don't know. Could be messy. But change is never pretty.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

An hour into the game the main quest gives you a full set of enchanted daedric gear, but it requires Grand Soul Gems to power and they only last 15 minutes each.

tbf the power armor in Fallout 4 is really cool and is the first time it actually feels special and not just like armor that happens to look neat

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Earwicker posted:

there were plenty of jungles in daggerfall in 1996!

and they all look like daggerfall in 1996, i.e. complete poo poo with no reason to ever go there because literally nothing interesting exists that isn't a dot on the map

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'd hate to hear your opinion of something like nethack or dwarf fortress lol

nethack is garbo but dwarf fortress is good because it actually uses its limited graphical style to add more detail and simulation. daggerfall is empty as hell by comparison, practically the only gameplay mechanics that are actually there are for dungeon crawling and it's not fun because (aside from a few story related dungeons) every single one of them looks identical.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Games from the late 2000s, early 2010s like it

ah, the greatest year of the late 2000s, early 2010s: 2006

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

There's no trap option.

The trap option in Arena is anything that can't cast spells. The armour spell never goes away so you can just cast a crazy one that uses all your magicka before going to sleep every night, and if you use a good spell absorb spell you are invincible and constantly refreshing your spell points against most monsters, especially once you're a few dungeons in to the game.

(Also bear in mind that Arena is not a fun game. The dungeons are made of blocks, like Wolfenstein, and the only really interesting stuff in the game is looking at the place names in High Rock and Skyrim and going "huh, they kept those names in the future games." Otherwise it's like playing D&D with a very, very stupid DM who loves combat, labyrinths, riddles and nothing else.)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It isn't real roleplaying unless a new player can make trap choices at the very beginning of the game that they only realise totally hosed them about 10 hours in.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

todd howard came to my house and forced me at gunpoint to join the mages college when i was playing my orc warrior character

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

On my current playthrough (which I am progressing through very, very slowly) I have a very minimal mod list. All the official DLC, the unofficial patches and stutter remover, and a mod to delay the start of the Knights of the Nine quest (which also requires you to find all the other DLC quests through in-game rumours or blundering into them).

A lot of the graphical mods are good but not good enough that I felt it was worth going through the hassle, and most of the combat/levelling rebalance mods are just bad in a different way than the base game, rather than actually good.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Lawman 0 posted:

Oh well that's good.
Anyways how do I not screw myself over with leveling?

The trick is mostly just to use the difficulty slider when it gets too hard. Not a great solution but it's there. Some people recommend min-maxing the system and making all your skills that you actually use minor so they don't cause you to level up, but if you just play it normally and have a reasonable number of combat or offensive magic skills you'll be fine. Probably best to focus on one weapon type/armour type though so you're not getting powerful half as fast.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The modder even recommends installing something called "Tedious Travel". Christ, isn't vanilla Daggerfall tedious enough?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Poil posted:

I kinda miss ghosts being immune to mundane weapons in Oblivion. They also looked waaaay cooler than the transparent regular bandits you see in Skyrim.

My biggest complaint with Skyrim is how boring the undead and daedra are. Ok sure whatever there's lore reasons, Oblivion got closed, all that stuff, but please don't get rid of my beloved crocodile men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I tried turning off the music once in Morrowind (I know, forgive me) and it's funny how completely bare the soundscape is without it. It hides the lack of gentle ambient noise very well.