Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Okay, so, i've read a lot of the song of Pelinial, and i can certainly see the reasoning behind him being sent from the future, possibly even somehow changed or improved (what with not having a heart?) but i'd always assumed he'd been sent from the second era by akatosh, since he's screaming out Raman's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Isn't Pelinal an avatar of Shezzar/Shor/Talos/Lorkhan?

Well, yeah, in a sense, but.... i mean, lorkhan's "dead" at the time of pelinal's adventures. I don't think the shezzarines are avatars as much as... echoes of? empowered by? have souls in the shape of the hole left by? lorkan/shor/shezzar

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

to be fair, it's mostly animals and beasts and stuff that is commonly acceptable. everyone freaks the gently caress out when you trap people's souls.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

I'm doing a thing you nerds might appreciate:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846402

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

So if it's cool to just talk about lore: The Elder Scrolls seems a lot like the Forgotten Realms insofar as there's a bunch of gods, and they like to meddle in the affairs of mortals, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how often they can interfere, or how much. Mostly they seem to act on the fringes, interacting with exceptional adventurer types like our PCs, but one whole game (that I haven't played) was based around a god trying to conquer the world, yes?

The three latest ones were all about that to some degree.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hobo Clown posted:

Did they lay all of this out when writing the first couple games? That seems like a huge amount of background information to create completely from scratch, especially since a lot of it doesn't affect the story until later games. Was anything ever retconned?

Yes. The core is basicly the same from at least daggerfall, but around redguard and morrowind, there were a lot of behind-the-scenes retcons and such.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Raygereio posted:

Kirkbride is a bit crazy (possibly due to over using drugs), definitely needs an editor because the majority of his output is crap and/or nonsense and has a (possibly unhealthy) obsession with a franchise owned by a company he was fired from about 12 years ago. But there really isn't anything concrete that indicates the dude's a nazi sympathizer.

I mean, to be fair, they keep bringing him back, and he was the lead lore dude for a good while.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Ojjeorago posted:

It's a bunch of nerds taking the console way too seriously.

"chim is the console" is bad and not fun.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

VanSandman posted:

ESO takes place in the distant past, right? Is it before or after the dwarves disappeared?

and age and a half later

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Alpha phoenix, what do you think of the usual theories of talos having mantled lorkhan, then?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I'm pretty dismissive of most of them tbqh. All of the wiki entries about it are flooded with noncannonical sourcing and "this could imply" lines that are equally if not more farfetched than my own Aedric Prince postulate. Frankly they read like backronyms, trying to justify how Talos is a divine, rather than bothering to question if that is true. And like I said, most sources for 'Talos is a divine' point at the Oblivion main quest, which I think I pretty convincingly debunked. (Not that my Tinder of Aur comments would invalidate the mantle idea. If the mantling is valid, my rewriting of it is still equally valid)

Edit:
"Tiber Septim led a war against the mer, just as Lorkhan had led a war against Auri-El." !!! :v:

"noncannonical" is a fun turn of phrase there, but i take it you don't accept any out-of-game sources? or just not kirkbrides'? or just not kirkbrides' past his employment?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Penpal posted:

Is there any lore or anything about life on the moons, evil or otherwise? Or even a mod. I want to sword and sorcery in a weird lunar environment and look up to see Tamriel on fire or something.

Read the lessons of vivec

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Alpha Phoenix posted:

One of my favorite mods makes speech skill up and affect potency of dragon shouts.

Because that is absolutely a Speech skill. :colbert:

Thunderchild+ordinator 4 lyf

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Berke Negri posted:

do none of you play morrowind in third person i thought that was the only way

M-m-MODS!?!?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Ott_ posted:

How do I find juicy quests in Morrowind? Every NPC I talk to has nothing to say. Will quest NPCs always let you know up front, or do I have to go clicking through the glossary?

lol.
Join the guilds. Or the temple, or one of the houses, or the other temple. go explore. Travel to different towns, etc. Follow the main quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Ornery and Hornery posted:

So what’s the relationship between dunmer and the daedra who aren’t the good-3?

Unclear. Invocation to azura does seem to imply that there are various cults to various daedra, and mentions the summoner finding nocturnal in an ancient book. Presumably, they're mostly ignored, with scattered worshippers here and there?