Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So if it's cool to just talk about lore: The Elder Scrolls seems a lot like the Forgotten Realms insofar as there's a bunch of gods, and they like to meddle in the affairs of mortals, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how often they can interfere, or how much. Mostly they seem to act on the fringes, interacting with exceptional adventurer types like our PCs, but one whole game (that I haven't played) was based around a god trying to conquer the world, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Do living Dwemer ever actually appear in the games? I've been reading the wiki but I can't sort that out.

Also, I appreciate that TES has a sort-of consolidated, Norse mythos, where almost everything that isn't Mankind is Merkind in some way, rather than just a zillion sentient playable races running around that all sprung up out of nowhere.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
In a universe where gods are constantly loving with everything for shits and giggles, a cult that requires some genuine religious faith is intriguing.

Other thing that reminds me of Forgotten Realms*: Analogues of early medieval Norsemen contemporary to analogues of some indeterminate point in the history of the Roman empire, and both groups have 16th century technology.

*And pretty much every high fantasy setting from 70s and 80s tabletop RPGs, of course.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 20, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

i am tim! posted:

Minotaurs are sentient sometimes, but usually they’re treated like Goblins and Ogres; nobody cares if they are or not. In ESO books they’re playing more with the idea that their race was sired by St. Alessia and the Winged Bull Morihaus, and that their race may hold the true Dragonborn Heirs of the First Empire.

Another interesting thing about Skyrim is that there is a clear answer to the metaphysical question "is this sentient race really people?" Falmer and giants don't have black souls, though Argonians and Khajit do. Vampires and Briarhearts have black souls, but apparently becoming a draugr breaks your soul.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
And that's another thing! Vivek Chibber is pretty cool, but a god? That's going too far.

Dawnguard has, uh, problems, but being able to stick a soul gem in a lightning rod and then fighting some skeleton warriors to get a black necromantic soul gem is the most metal thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I assumed the Aedra/Daedra dichotomy has its roots in the Aesir and Vanir, but it's a very superficial connection. The Vanir aren't exactly the especially-active-lords-of-edginess in Norse myth.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Sometimes it sounds like the worst monkeycheese bullshit. "Oh, let me tell you about the desert-dwelling cocaine-sniffing cat people. They worship the moons."
Still less weird than anything in Glorantha, tell you what

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
TES trolls are based on D&D trolls, which are based directly on Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions. Making them green would be a little too obvious, I suppose.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

All this lore talk reminds me: many years ago, there was an app that literally had every book in every elder scrolls game available to read in essentially ebook format. Anyone remember this app and know what it’s called? I tried searching “elder scrolls books” in the apple App Store and, surprise surprise, got nothing but ES themed games and “guide apps.”

It’s worth mentioning that I had an android back when I had this app but now have an iPhone, so it’s possible there is no iOS version what I’m talking about.
I just use https://www.imperial-library.info which makes for pretty easy reading on a phone or a tablet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Is there any way to dislodge the Silver-Bloods from Markarth in Skyrim? IME even if you side with the Forsworn and kill one of them, the rest keep hanging around running everything.

Hodgepodge posted:

dude, i'm like... a dragon. but also time. gonna make a dude stop me from eating myself now lol. also the dude is, like, a guy and a girl and every race at the same time. shor does that poo poo all the time.
Akatosh is...tumblr?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 12, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's true to history, and not as cruel as pamphlets showing Marie Antoinette riding a cockstrich.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

SunAndSpring posted:

So if you think about it, the plot of Skyrim is the following:

Akatosh, who is also Lorkhan, sends his soul into a human, Miraak, to stop Alduin, who is Akatosh, from destroying the world. Miraak, however, is a lazy gently caress and doesn't do it, instead joining up with Hermaeus Mora, who is left-overs of Akatosh. So centuries later, Akatosh chooses another person to share his soul, the Last Dragonborn, to stop Akatosh from enslaving/devouring mankind because Akatosh is currently serving Akatosh's left-overs instead of Akatosh, and secretly Akatosh is planning to become Akatosh. Luckily for everyone, Akatosh stops Akatosh from achieving his goals.

Ia! Ia! Nyarlathotep!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
IN CASE OF RAGNAROK BREAK JORMUNGLASS

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is the cumulative effect in Skyrim where you have max enchanting, smithing and alchemy, and use a potion to make you better at enchanting to make a smithing outfit, then use a potion to make you better at smithing, then smith; too good to the point where it was unintentional and I shouldn't use it?
I would only use it if you're, say, deliberately using leather armor and a plain steel sword because you like the aesthetic. Dual-enchanting all your poo poo so you can sneak around in heavy armor is also fun.

But one-shotting everything with insanely powerful weapons is boring.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I once had the vegetable lady get stuck standing in a canal and refuse to move. I had to assault her with my shout just to knock her back onto the patio so she'd go back to selling vegetables.

Ms Adequate posted:

Dwemer stuff is mostly of interest to scholars, I think. Their mechanisms are too complex for much, the ruins themselves are typically very dangerous, the metal is pretty good but there is better, and it's amazingly heavy. Probably not worth bothering with outside of academics or prestige for most people.

Plus, given what they’re used for, I don't know how eager people would be to go start trying to hew chunks off Numidium even after it is defeated.
Plus you need a particularly trained smith to work it...and I assume that the big structures of dwemer metal are next to impossible to hack apart. So sending a company of soldiers to have their numbers picked away by robots and traps, just to haul out a bunch of scraps to melt down for a few hundred ingots, isn't really worth it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

Im pretty sure that's incorrect. IIRC, Dwemer metal does not corrode. The Dwemer actually hosed with the metaphysical properties of Dwemer metal, I just cannot remember where I read this.
That's got to be the case, because you can smelt it and work it but you can't make more of it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Say, what is the Eye of Magnus, anyway? I get that it has a history of Nords and Falmer fighting over it, but it seems to be a magic mystery box that can just do anything and there's no hint as to why Magnus would've created it and left it for mortals to find.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's got some unique stuff. Being able to steal items lying around, for example. I love the fact that everyone can use stealth. I personally enjoy exploring in a first person perspective. I think you can very much say that ESO's combat is better than Skyrim's combat, so it's got that going for it.
On this basis, would you recommend it to someone who has no interest in the social aspects of MMOs whatsoever and would just enjoy "Skyrim but with improved gameplay and more stuff?"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

its like a skyrim you can't mod or cheat or break the game in

half the fun of TES is finding some bullshit mace that smashes the hell out of people but it's an mmo so you won't find those until End Game and then youll see 1000 people with them
I like that you tell Molag Bal "but I don't even use maces" and he gets snippy with you but lets it slide.

Nasgate posted:

I think this depends how used to mods you are. Ordinator+Apocalypse+Wildcat is much more enjoyable than ESO
I play on XBox and don't use any mods but maybe I should start?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I like the Soul Cairn, is that weird.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Cantorsdust posted:

I like the Soul Cairn, but I don't like what it's done to soul gems/enchanting lore. The idea that all souls trapped in soul gems are sent to the Soul Cairn for enchantments seems really odd to me. I'd prefer if enchantments were powered by the souls themselves. The way it's written now, it feels like souls are only incidentally needed for enchanting rather than being an essential part of the process.
I think when you use a Soul Gem you're basically burning a fuel source to forge an enchanted item or power one. So what ends up in the Soul Cairn is a pale, helpless, depleted creature.

Otherwise, using soul gems is flat-out obliterating a soul for convenience, which is way more grimdark.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I never played any Elder Scrolls games before Skyrim, so I don't know what the mythology has to do with Vivec Chibber. But I'm glad you guys are into it, international solidarity is important.

Nasgate posted:

I preferred thinking that my sword was causing fire damage because I haphazardly strapped a Minotaur soul to it.
It just seems fitting to me that when you use a soul to power a flaming sword or whatever, you're doing something extremely inefficient, from a technical point of view, and extremely short sighted from a philosophical point of view, making a soul into a can of kerosene.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well, Serana says she thinks that only black souls go to the Soul Cairn. That doesn't explain why there are some ghost cows there, or Arvak. But ghost cows are funny, and Arvak is Such a Good Horse.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That makes as much sense as anything else. Necromancers do weird poo poo for no reason.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Is there a big "Legion or Stormcloaks?" debate I can go back and read, or should I start it all over again? Because I frankly like the Empire more than Ulfric's movement, but of course I hate the Thalmor more than anything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Can't I just kill everyone and make myself king of everything?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
These vagaries are making it difficult to determine the best path to ruling the entire world from my sweet vampire castle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I like how the Bretons are English, Welsh, and French and they live in the Not British Isles.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

In Tamriel ethnicity recapitulates culture: significant changes to a culture correspond with (result in?) physical changes as well.
Not to be That Guy, but that's because TES inherits the tradition of pulp fantasy fiction, which often includes weird race science ideas where a new species can evolve in a few thousand years.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I enjoy the way that Nirn's mythology pretty much acknowledges that the world is just a story. I like fantasy settings that run the way ancient people actually thought they worked, like a sun that literally rises and sets or having it be canon that it was made out of a giant's bones or whatever.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Whorelord posted:

In what way do the Redguards get bonuses that match black stereotypes?
Can Cyrus cook with seasonings besides salt and garlic?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
And the Nord racial power makes the police go away and leave you alone after you kill someone in broad daylight.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
As near as I can tell, the Empire bends over for the Thalmor as much or more than the Stormcloaks, and the Thalmor's interest is in the war going on for as long as possible and weakening the Empire as much as possible.

NikkolasKing posted:

Literally the second thing that happens in Morrowind is you meet Imperials who are shaking down a local Dunmer and then saying "you should thank us for bringing civilization to you."

And also there's this book from Morrowind which I liked:
There's also the Argonian Account series, which is about how the Empire brought plantation capitalism and slavery to Black Marsh, and a lazy Imperial bureaucrat fixed everything by doing nothing and allowing Black Marsh's economy to go back to the way it was.

Whorelord posted:

also, i really dislike the whole "stormcloaks are nazis" thing as it's such a shallow comparison. to me they're closer to the viet minh if anything, being a nationalistic uprising fighting a civil war against their countrymen while being led and named after a charismatic leader.
Yeah, pretty much every premodern culture didn't like being ruled by a foreign empire and weren't too keen on immigration.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

As I recall, the Empire has had a running gag of putting you in a life threatening situation after incarcerating you for no real reason besides “an old man had a dream or heard something on the news.”
I'm American, that makes sense to me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Schubalts posted:

The Empire was opposing the Thalmor, just not out in the open. It's why they left "invalids" behind in Hammerfell after withdrawing due the peace treaty, and why "everyone had their own little shrine to Talos" in Skyrim before Ulfric brought the Thalmor's attention, and inquisitors, to the province.

The Empire was gearing up to officially restart the Great War, when Ulfric started his selfish power play.
Well, whatever they were planning before, they're doing a really bad job of opposing them if the Thalmor get to march around Skyrim arresting people for practicing a banned religion.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If this is the case, the Empire's #resistance is extremely lovely in the first place, is what I'm saying.

Ulfric maybe goofed when he decided to claim some kind of legitimacy instead of just forming a militia to kill every Thalmor in sight.

But if we're looking at it from this point of view, the moral question is irrelevant anyway. Because "just play along with the religious persecutions, we're going to fight them any day now, just you wait" is not something an oppressed population will ever put up with.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Schubalts posted:

Do you guys just not get that the Empire was allowing worship of Talos in private, and was actively lying to the Thalmor about it? "Everyone still had their own little shrine to Talos" is a quote from Hadvar. A Nord.
Right, and it was a failed strategy. Something like the Markarth Incident had to happen sooner or later.

Strategic Tea posted:

Why fight smart and bide your time when you can blindly Do The Right Thing as if the universe will go 'woah this guy has the moral right to free worship, I will strike down the death squads for you!'
Well that's a silly thing to say because the universe has a way of selecting champions who will get into shenanigans with a bunch of different gods and then save the world.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

What should the empire have done, honestly?
They should have won the war. Having failed to do that, they don't have much claim to legitimacy.

raminasi posted:

The civil war is a civil war. Half the Skyrim Nords are pro-empire and think Ulfric should eat a dick. “Colonial uprising” is an incomplete characterization.
That is true, but support for the Empire tracks pretty well with basic material interests--the pro-Empire cities are the ones with rich commercial enterprises. Falkreath is the exception that proves the rule, as Siddgeir is a lazy puppet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

John F Bennett posted:

What kind of name is 'Stormcloak' anyway.
Idunno who started this, but such names are eminently copyrightable even when they're dumb. TES is extremely 200% a D&D campaign setting, and that's another convention that it follows.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I especially like doing the quest as a vampire.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Nth Doctor posted:

Skyrim has books. :colbert:
Last time I read a book in Skyrim I just got yelled at by some guys with tentacles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There are times when I waste time hauling a bunch of loot to a town where the merchants actually have enough money to buy it from me, or schlep out to some ruined tower to kill a bandit, and I surmount the crest of a mountain and remember, oh, this is why you actually play the game.