Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Moryrie posted:

Any sources, reasoning etc for this? Cause Ebonarm sounds pretty cool to me. Then again, I'm not exactly a fan of Tiber Septim.. or Kirkbride's weird rape fetish, so I gave up on reading his stuff a long time ago.

Didn't MK have a couple of hilariously embarrassing meltdowns on Reddit over people calling him out about Vivec killing women by putting his metaphorical dick in their mouth? I know he had one about Dark Brotherhood fans "RUINING MAH COMMUNITY!"

EDIT: vv One of the Nordic Tongues Vivec battled in the Sermons was a woman who's mouth he had to stuff with his milk-finger in order to defeat. Milk-finger being a penis.

According to an IRC chat log of MK in some ES Lore channel he haunts, the "Ebony Listening Frame" used to defeat Wulfharth is supposed to be Vivec's vagina. Not sure how we were supposed to figure that out but there you go.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I don't believe this is the Last Kalpa, as Alduin's soul buggered off after we killed him. If conventional dragon rules are in place, that means he can return.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder where Kirkbride is posting now. I recall him having some sort of tantrum on r/teslore over something or other and demanded the mods ban him.

He still posts on r/teslore. That wasn't his first outburst and it probably won't be his last.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Whizbang posted:

Well, half bro.

Would it be brosis or sisbro? Or would we need to do the whole MARTIAL AXIOM UNIQUE IN ALL THE blahdiddy-bloo?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Pikestaff posted:

TES VI: Taking place aboard a Vehkship in the Ninth Era. :getin:

Hey, if it means I get to tell TalOS to shoot people with explosives made out of Convention then I'm all for it.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Pikestaff posted:

So. Interesting thing on the TES Online website.

If I'm reading this right, the CoC became... Haskill? :psyduck:

I think he means that the CoC wasn't the first mortal to mantle and become Sheogorath, and that the Mortal Haskill once did the whole Grey March thing himself. The Haskill we see is all thats left of him; a memory of Sheogorath he gave life to do bitch work. Now, whether Haskill did this in a previous Era or Kalpa is up in the air.

Which means that the same fate may be in store for our Champion, though I like to imagine mine becomes a baker.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Dice Rolling isn't inherently bad but don't act like Morrowind isn't egregious with its implementation, especially in the early level content. Repeatedly whiffing against Tanisie Verethi with your iron sparkblade certainly IS a way to represent your characters 15/100 skill in Long Blade, but it's also obnoxious. ESPECIALLY in The Year Of Our Lord 2002.

Don't think of it as hatred for Dice Rolls, even though that's what everyone latches onto. Think of it as hatred for Bethesda's crap gameplay development, especially in light of your comments regarding later entries in the series.

EDIT: Also there is nothing to feel bad about robbing everybody on Vvardenfel blind as bats. You're saving the entire gat dang world from joining the hive mind of a deluded madman and his Godbot, PLUS nobody's gonna miss 70k in soulgems or glass armor after Red Mountain goes kaboom.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 31, 2015

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

I never found it obnoxious personally, I always thought Morrowind's system was a good one that rewarded both sensible character planning as well as advancement and levelling, but these days I can understand why people are unhappy about the system.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Morrowind to pieces and know my way around the early game. I find it a LOT easier to manage if you take alchemy and make Restore Fatigue potions from the many cheap foodstuffs that exist. Just pop one as you fight and you're pretty much set. But that is by no means obvious to people just starting. They really needed to work better on not making you feel useless right out the gate. Helpless? Sure, but not useless.

quote:

Wait, which of Lord Dagoth's enemies has a Godbot? :confused:

Why, Tiber Septim of course. Or Numidium itself if you wanna go the C0DA route.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

It's also worth noting that the widespread reverence for Talos in Skyrim is a recent development. As of Oblivion, Talos was seen by the Nords-at-large as "Cyrodiil's shittier version of Ysmir," which isn't too far from the truth. Which is also funny cuz Ulfric's "ancient traditions" that he's fighting for is a foreign God.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Basically the Thalmor are close to 100% correct about everything relating to theology, but the implications are so horrifying that everyone else is having none of it, and everyone else thinks they're such pricks that they should gently caress off into wherever they want to go if it's so great, and leave the rest of us alone.

Soooorta? The Thalmor have a great grasp on the structure of the Aurbis, but they're 100% wrong on the Talos part. He IS a God, and there are no two ways around that. Just that Talos is ALSO the guy that committed the single greatest act of genocide against the Altmer people in the history of Alinor, an act that is likely in living history for the long lived elves.

The war against Talos might be because of some long term goal to undo creation or whatever the Kirkbridian nonsense says. I'm going to say, for most of the Thalmor, they're just acting in reaction to hundreds of years of Imperial Glorification of Tamriel's Greatest War Criminal.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I don't think that the "Towers Hold The World Theory" actually holds that much water. It's a theory built on several layers of conjecture based on the fact that we have no SOLID idea of what the Towers do and what their deactivation means. Recent texts from The Elder Scrolls Online (shut up it counts) actually points to the idea that the only Tower that actually hold creation together is Ada-mantia, the unassailable site of Convention. These texts also propose that the towers made by mortals actually have the power to shape the lands around them by influencing the Earth Bones that shape the world, and will reflect the desires of the populace that controls it. This power comes by being an imitation of Ada-mantia.

It would also explain why Talos was able to change Cyrodiil into a temperate forest from a rain forest, and brute-forcing past the "desires of the populace" bit by virtue of being a god or CHIM. It also lends some decent support to the "Dwemer-As-Numidium's-Skin" theory.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

axolotl farmer posted:

You mean the Tribunal wanted Vvardenfell to be an ashen wasteland?

Possibly! There's a bit in the 36 Sermons about an "Uncultivated land of monsters" that would certainly support that idea. Either that or its being an Aedric Tower might mean that it has a fixed terrain.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

CHIM is a semi interesting way for mortals to become godlike beings (if not greater-than-godlike beings as the biggest benefit CHIM is absolute permanence ["Suck it, Thalmor!" - TALOS]). Some people have conflated it with having access to the Console Command Prompt Deadpool style but that's just an interpretation that caught traction in the same way that those silly "Your favourite childhood show is ACTUALLY a hellish afterlife/post-apocalyptic wasteland!" theories do; one person posits something in a casual, "here's a fun way of looking at X!" sorta blog post and then it gets put through the Reddit/Imgur/4chan telephone game until people start saying that's the truth.

I honestly don't think CHIM actually does nearly as much as people say it does.

EDIT vv I disagree, mainly because, while I do enjoy the Vivec CHIM comics and gags, I think the 4th wall breaking stuff is all on the Prisoner, which they've stated is apparently a super important mythological figure and why the PC is so loving great. Personally I think CHIM is just an asterisk they put on some gods to denote that they're more special than the other gods.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 7, 2015

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

There are comments in the 36 Sermons of Vivec that, if you kinda remove the context and twist them about, can be thought of describing reloading saves and pausing the game in the same way that The One Ring can be thought of as an analogy of for the A-Bomb. It works, but only selectively and if you ask the writer they'd tell you that it's not what they had in mind.

The passages in question do define some of the powers we know about CHIM, which is that anybody who gets it doesn't need to eat or sleep unless they want to and can will themselves back from death. Absolutely nothing can stop you from existing as yourself.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Given the way Kirkbride was described when writing the 36 Sermons , I like to imagine that every time Bethesda needs something crazy in their game they just lock him in a room with a legal pad and gently caress-tons of booze. Then they just take what he wrote and make an in game book out of it.

You know, after they take out stupid poo poo like Pelinal Whitestrake being a cyborg from the 9th Era.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Cubey posted:

You must be very unfamiliar with Kirkbride to think this. Go and read c0da sometime.

You must be very unfamiliar with Kirkbride to think this. Go and read C0DA sometime.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

My favorite thing about the Mage Guild Necromancy Ban in Oblivion was buying all of my Necromancy spells from the Mage Guild and being a Necromancer with absolute impunity.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

CHIM is the state of mind achieved by directly facing the fact that you're the figment of the imagination of an insane, dreaming Godhead and not being obliterated by this fact.

AKA hitting ~

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Huh. I've always wanted to play Redguard but I hear it's an absolute bitch to get running on a current OS, and that the gameplay is generally janky as hell.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Well apparently the PC for Battlespire is a snarky wizard so I'm pretty well set on playing it now.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

On that note, can anybody give a rundown on OOO and Francesco's for me? I remember ages ago when they were still new I favoured Fran's, but it has been so long I don't know what's changed about them.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Pikestaff posted:

Gotta throw this one in

(source)

My god, it's beautiful. But where's Seht?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Oh right, he's probably been dead for years before the rest of them were killed.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

I'm replaying Morrowind for the billionth time, and I've been noticing something I hadn't noticed before and hope you lore nerds can get me straight. Was Lord Nerevar considered Dunmer, or Chimer? Because I thought it was his murder that cursed the Chimer into Dunmer. But when doing the early main quest for Skooma Cosades and Hasfat Antibodies, they refer to Nerevar as "a Dunmer general." So which is it? I thought when he was alive he was not Dunmer at all?

What Tzarnal said, basically. His death was ostensibly the catalyst that changed the Velothi from Chimer to Dunmer, so he couldn't have been dark skinned. Really the only difference between a Chimer and a Dunmer, aside from skin color, is whether or not you were alive before or after 1E668. Also Hazmat Antipodes's scholarly boner is for Dwarves and knows next to nothing about their ancient neighbours.

EDIT:

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

He's dead, you insensitive s'wit

Is he, CROWS EVERYWHERE? Is he really??

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Hey! That's what the higher-ups of House T said to their followers when the Argonians arrived!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

My Q-Face posted:

What was the emperor's endgame in Morrowind?

Once Caius leaves, you're pretty much stuck taking your cues from the Temple and the Ashlanders, all of whom want the empire out of Morrowind.

In the end, you're doing Azura's bidding, and even if she was one of the good ones, her end goal was the destruction of the Dunmer. Was Uriel also being manipulated by the Daedra in his quest for the Numidium and Akhulakhan?

The Emperor's goal was likely to stop Dagoth-Ur, as he was a known enemy to the Septims when Wulfharth tried to rally Tiber Septim to stop the REAL threat under Red Mountain. Granted that meeting ended with Zurin dead and Wulfharth trapped in the Mantella, but it gives an in for how Uriel would know. Alternatively, he saw an opportunity to have an Imperial agent fulfill the prophecy that would supposedly end with the Empire being kicked out of their biggest source of Ebony, and thus wealth.

Also, how did Azura seek the destruction of the Dunmer? Her only goal was getting revenge for Nerevar. The Red Year was ALL Vivec, he just set his end up as the trigger because he's a horrible, spiteful person.

Edit: phone typos !

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 2, 2015

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

"Ginette Reno" posted:

Did Vivec setup the red year? With his powers as a deity waning or even outright gone I don't see how he could have stopped the catastrophe. I guess you could argue that he should have moved the rock way earlier but as an immortal deity he probably didn't foresee losing his divinity any time soon.

Absolutely he did, and he even claims responsibility when he speaks of stopping Lie Rock in his sermons. He stopped it above Vivec City with its momentum kept intact so that it would crash down with all of its force should his people ever stop loving him. What that means exactly is left to some debate, but I wouldn't call it much of a stretch to say that he did it in case Azura's prophecy ever came to pass as a big "gently caress YOU and your followers!" And Azura's prophecies tend to come to pass, being she's the Prophecy God.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Hey, speaking of highly destructive tragedies that wouldn't have happened without Vivec, let's talk about the Thalmor and their wont of stomping out Talos worship. Can we REALLY blame them for wanting people to stop worshipping the guy that unleashed the Giant Time-Shattering Doom Robot on their nation? An event so horrible that Tiber's own battlemage came back from the dead to put a stop to it, and is likely in the living memory of the older Altmer? Heck, if you wanna go down the rabbit hole and into the Kirkbridian nonsense, they lost their best and brightest trying to fight it off, a battle that is apparently still being waged well into the 9th Era due to Numidian-sourced time shenanigans.

I mean, I'd be pretty pissed off about that, and being asked to worship the dick for over fourhundred years.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I'm definitely interested in Skyblivion, since I can see how the questing and dialogue could easily transfer. I can't say that I can see that happening quite so easily with Morrowind, however.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Not everybody had The Voice to such a degree, and I very much doubt the rank-and-file soldiers could muster up even a basic shout. As for how they got anything done, there are records that Wulfharth was sworn into power with his mouth gagged and an interpreter on hand to speak for him.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Is there really such a thing?

Michael Kirkbride is a lot like coffee, in that I'm sure you can choke it down with the grounds still in it but it's better when filtered.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Kuiperdolin posted:

It's been long established that those do not work on plot-induced diseases.

Really the only plot incurable diseases I know of is Corprus, which is terrifying for people BECAUSE it's incurable. Peryite's plague in Skyrim might be, but the only people you see infected with it are crazy cultists that either think it's a blessing or a just punishment they need to endure.

The Blights in Morrowind are sorta close because they're a lot more resilient to curing, which puts a significant financial barrier the poor might not be able to afford.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Kuiperdolin posted:

Whatever Nurelion had was incurable too.

I always figured that was just a case of good ol' fashioned dying from old age, but I can barely remember the specifics of that quest other that "Old jackass rips me off."

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Any predictions on where TESVI will take place? I get the feeling the Thalmor are going to be a major player in the story, but I doubt we'll go to Summerset Isles myself. I could see us doing something big in the bordering nations like Hammerfell and Valenwood, though.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Although since Daggerfall was set in southern High Rock / northern Hammerfell I could see them ruling those two out just as well. I'd love to to see them take one of the more creative options, heck set it in Valenwood and make the "Dragonborn" type power free wildshifting. Hey, maybe even making the grand quest bringing movement back to the trees.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Serenade posted:

As long as the next Elder Scrolls lets me gently caress up a Tower it'll be ok.

Once Convention crumbles we can get unabashedly abstract.

The only way I think they could pull off that kind of unabashedly abstract is if they bring back Kirkbride as a main writer, and according to him Convention is the one thing that simply cannot be changed. It is, was, and always will be the point to which everything returns when Tamriel is completely destroyed. Which means what the Thalmor is fighting for, a time before convention, is the one thing they can never, ever have.

I don't think that they're incapable of doing weird anymore, but they have to realize that they cannot keep at their Safe Fantasy (with weirdness in the margins) shtick and expect to succeed considering how buggy their games are. There are more fantasy games with a more open questing structure hitting the market, a niche Bethesda more or less had to themselves, and they're pulling it off much better in many regards. They're either going to need to refine their craft and not launch buggy messes anymore (HAAAAAAAAAH) or start doing the weird again.

Personally, I think they'd be doing themselves a favor if they didn't insist on having every bit of spoken dialogue fully voiced. Some of the strangest and kinda best lore in Morrowind comes from Baladas Demnevanni, a Telvanni Wizard in Gnisis that is NOT required to be found in order to complete the game, or even to become Grandmaster of the factions his quests involve. He says this if you ask him about the Disappearance of the Dwarves, a Mage Guild questline that most people don't even know can be completed because it's dismissed as a "gently caress Off" fake quest given by a pretentious blowhard.

quote:

It was unfashionable among the Dwemer to view their spirits as synthetic constructs three, four, or forty creational gradients below the divine. During the Dawn Era they researched the death of the Earth Bones, what we call now the laws of nature, dissecting the process of the sacred willing itself into the profane. I believe their mechanists and tonal architects discovered systematic regression techniques to perform the reverse -- that is, to create the sacred from the deaths of the profane.

As the Dwemer left no corpses or traces of conflict behind, I believe that generations of ritualistic 'anti-creations' resulted in their immediate, but foreseen removal from the Mundus. They retreated behind math, behind color, behind the active principle itself. That the Dwemer vanished during a conflict with Nerevar and the Tribunal is merely coincidence.

There is no way in hell Bethesda's going to pay somebody to say something that is as completely unnecessary to see as it is fantastically batshit bonkers. However if you only had to fully voice the Important poo poo (IE the main story quest, the primary faction quests, and the like), and for the rest used a voiced introduction with text dialogue, stuff like it could probably make it in. Not to mention greatly increase their ability to flesh out the world with more incidental NPCs and quests having separated the huge cost of voice acting from it.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 24, 2015

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think Baladas is required to become Archmagister, if that's what you're referring to. Aryon sends you to get him to join the Telvanni Council as your first quest for him to become his Mouth. Baladas then sends you off to recover Chronicles of Nchuleft, Fire and Faith, and Antecedents of Dwemer Law.

Unless you're referring to him as a Mages Guild quest object, which is also technically true, even if he is more Telvanni.

Ah yes, I had forgotten that his quest was one you got from your sponsor after your sponsorship, and had thought it was just a reputation builder you got from one of the Mouths earlier on. I think I may be thinking of the quest to deliver a letter to Divayth Fyr, who is an entirely essential NPC and is essentially the best wizard. I'll have to correct that.

Still, the dialogue itself is something you don't have to ask him unless you're actually trying to complete Trebonius's quests for what that's worth to my point!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

C0DA features the Akulakhan invading the moon so if you think that's dumb instead of cool I don't know if we can be friends.

That was Anumidium on the moon, but Akulakhan does appear in the Landfall preview of C0DA being piloted by the Nerevarine. He or she held Anumidium off while people escaped to the Moon, but not before The Numidium eradicated the Altmer race across all space and time for reasons.

I hate that I read C0DA to the point that I understand it because it's really not that great. Just more unrestrained Kirkbridian nonsense that boils down to "ISN'T VIVEC JUST THE GREATEST?"

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

I haven't read this yet, but you know what I think? Good.

I should also point out that Numidium went on to stomp out each of the Mannish races and their lands to boot, basically leaving Tamriel as such a broken crater that the inner workings of Nirm are visibly exposed. The only people who made it to the moon were the Khajiit (who were already there) and the Dark Elves. Every other race is implied to have been driven to practical extinction.

So I mean, yeah it's GREAT he erased the High Elves from existence and history, but the only people who made it in the end are kirkbride's chosen.

Strategic Tea posted:

Can Kirkbride not let anything die? What annoyed me most in the handful of C0da I flipped through is that Vivec is back, Sotha Sil is back, all the numidiums are back. Even Dagoth Ur's goddamn doomsday device is back - that story was finished!

He's so creative, it's a genuine shame he's unable to move on.

This is what bugs me the most about him and you really hit the nail on the head. 14 years since Morrowind was released and his biggest accomplishment (outside of guestwork in Oblivion and Skyrim) is the script for a comic where Vivec- the lying, stealing, murdering god of the Dark Elves what sold an imperialist conqueror the worst doomsday weapon ever created on their world so his people could continue practicing slavery for hundreds of years -is the greatest thing ever and will have a new universe baby. I like some elements of it, but on the overall it feels like he's just jerking off at this point.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

But the Cyrodiil in ESO isn't a jungle, which means it's Talos's CHIMed up Cyrodiil, and he's partly responsible. Hmm.

You know, maybe the Thalmor are on to something.