Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

GreatGreen posted:

Using arrows that one shot everything is the only way to play Skyrim. The ultra lovely melee combat and lackluster magic system make arrows that you can watch physically penetrate enemy heads and send them flying end over end through the air objectively the most awesome way to play the game.

One-shot sneak attack dagger strikes are pretty great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I want a super trippy Elswyr game.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Is there even going to be a TESVI?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Well, they at least kept the green pact going in eso, I doubt they'd retcon that out at least, we'll still have carnivore carnivorous elves smoking insect resin out of people's bones.

TESVI is presumably going to take place in the Fourth Era, so who knows if it would have survived in mainstream Bosmer society.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I'd love to see where you read that, if you can remember.

I was just inferring from the fact that the "main" series keeps moving forward in time.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Man Whore posted:

In retrospect this is more like what you would get from loving with an elderscroll but whatev

I'm miffed about the fact that you actually read an Elder Scroll in Skyrim. Their appearance in Oblivion was (barely) okay because you don't actually do anything with them yourself, but actually reading one yourself (productively even!) felt like way too much.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mzbundifund posted:

The next Elder Scrolls game will be in High Rock because it's the only generic European fantasy country in Tamriel that we haven't had a game focused on yet. It'll have references to the events of Skyrim because High Rock is next to Skyrim. If I die before the game comes out, write this on my tombstone.

The Summerset Isles seem like a fairly standard fantasy setting, but they'd have to do a fair bit of storytelling to justify the "pick a race and go" idea that underpins the series. (It didn't even really work in Skyrim, given how Khajiit and Argonians PCs could freely enter cities they were supposedly banned from.)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Never ever ever do anything with live Dwemer :colbert:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

greententacle posted:

I started Morrowind for the first time. Went to the nearby smuggler's cave, got owned by the first guy. I sold my starter knife an bought an iron battleaxe, went back, got owned again. I think every single swing was a miss. How do I survive the early game? Just do quests or something? Pick a fight with mudcrabs?

There's a difficulty slider you can drop in the early game, but the real answer, as has been said, is to specialize during chargen. You can't just pick whatever and equip whatever and have it work out. (And "doing quests" doesn't help because leveling isn't experience-based.)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Bholder posted:

Nope, but I felt extremely awkward when I was in the cave of the Incarnate and everybody else was a Dunmer.

This a piece of evidence for the "The 'Nerevarine' is really just Azura trolling the Tribunal" theory.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Bholder posted:

People will downright point you towards the hideout, it's not even hidden.

I always interpreted that as the Thieves Guild being incredibly desperate for membership so they can try to stand up to the Camonna Tong. You also never get the sense that the Morrowind Thieves Guild is really, well, criminal. It's just the guild of people who like to break into poo poo.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
The most comprehensible hypothesis is that Kagrenac was trying to destroy the Chimer and pointed the gun the wrong way, but there's no real evidence for any particular explanation.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Friendly Factory posted:

I'll be very upset if a future ES game isn't about their return. That would be great.

The mystery of the Dwemer is one of the coolest things about TES lore and bringing them back would bogart it up in a uniquely terrible way :colbert:

Also remember that there exists an Actual Dwarf who was one of Kagrenac's direct underlings who has no loving idea what happened, even with access to Kagrenac's notes, various theoretical texts on the subject, and a chance to play around with Wraithguard for a day.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Strategic Tea posted:

Except for one thing - the elves had :krad: sounding mages called mirror logicians trying to repel the invasion. And they're still fighting - in the Summerset Isles, they can still be seen phasing in and out of time and breaking your mind if you stare at them too long.

This is the kind of thing that I really wish came from somewhere more canonical than "Kirkbride just posting stuff he thought up."

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shab posted:

Where do you think lore comes from?

Let me rephrase: This is the kind of thing I wish had more canonical justification than some posts on a message board. As in, a presence in the games. At all.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Strategic Tea posted:

Wait wha? I thought that was only Azura?

Why does this always happen to fantasy writers i like :sbahj: it keeps happeniiiiiing

quote:

Little is known of Almalexia before she became Nerevar's wife. Temple myth holds that on Mount Assarnibibi, Molag Bal oversaw the ninety-nine lovers of Boethiah who gave birth to her.

Perhaps Molag Bal's nickname will shed some light on what exactly happened during this briefly-mentioned event The King of Rape

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Blue Raider posted:

the possibly bad thing about black marsh is it wouldnt be too fun stomping around a swamp for the entire game but the only think i know about black marsh is the hist trees so this is baseless conjecture really

Eh, before Skyrim I would have said "It wouldn't be too fun stomping around the snow for an entire game" but they made it work. I'm more curious about what this "sign" was that pointed to Black Marsh as the setting for the next game in the first place.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

K8.0 posted:

Procedural faces as they exist are a fundamentally poo poo concept that need to die in a fire. There isn't a single game with an acceptable one. The only good thing about them is being able to make yourself a horrendous looking demon, they absolutely blow at making attractive or even notably different characters.

EVE's is ok.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Nasgate posted:

I think Morrowind is an easy jump from Oblivion though?

Are you kidding? Morrowind is incredibly unforgiving. I can absolutely see someone not being into getting murdered by a rat ten feet out of the starting village.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, did people really dislike the 'dungeons loop back around' thing in Skyrim? I mean in a perfect world we would still have Mark/Recall but there is nothing worthwhile about backtracking through all the rooms you cleared for five minutes versus using the bandit leader's convenient escape hatch or whatever. Even a couple of the actually-decent dungeons in Oblivion did the same thing (the ruin you see immediately across from the tutorial sewers that starts that Ayleid statue quest and the old fort where the orc hunts you and that guy in a recreation of 'The Most Dangerous Game').

My objections are less to the escape hatch and more to the fact that there's never anywhere else to go. Dungeons rarely even had such architectural wonders as "side rooms". We don't need labyrinths; just give us more than one dimension of movement.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sky Shadowing posted:

There is a game for people who like labyrinths, it's called Daggerfall. Not that you will like its dungeons, it will just cure you of your desire for labyrinths.

How did you infer a desire for labyrinths from "we don't need labyrinths?" I just want, like, a branching passage.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Have there been any clues or theories on where the next game will be set? I was looking up info on the elder scrolls wiki about the different regions. From what I can tell we have never been to a place like Black Marsh. Looking at the lore it really seems like there has been much that hasn't been shown in the games so far.

Someone upthread suggested TES VI: Dominion, which has a nice ring to it, and fits with the stories they've been developing, but is probably expecting too much from Bethesda.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Nasgate posted:

I hope it's some place with water travel, or at least a place with loving Sunlight. Skyrim and Morrowind are both awful in that wherever you go it's dark,oppressive,moody.

You needed to spend more time in the Grazelands :shobon:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Nasgate posted:

I don't understand why you guys act like this is any different than Oblivion and Skyrim? It is more tedious for the less interesting quests because you can't fast travel to get it over with. But on the whole there was more character reasoning than the general feel of Skyrim's "let's make up some poo poo for the player to do." attitude.

I much prefer tedium given by characters than boring given by npcs whose sole existence revolves around giving the character a lovely quest and some fancy poo poo as a reward.

That said, I will redact my original statement. Oblivion has the best quests. This opinion is heavily weighted by the daedric quests and the Thieves guild and Dark Brotherhood.

I thought the Skyirm Daedric quests were better than the Oblivion ones, in large part because I hated the whole carnival-booth aspect to getting them in Oblivion. Sanguine's quest is much better started by having a drink with a stranger in a bar than stumbling across yet another statue in the wilderness and giving it some wine or something.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Man Whore posted:

I make a journey once but after that, why walk when you can ride?

This is what I do. See the stuff on the way the first time, and then skip it so you have more time to find more stuff elsewhere.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
If you don't always play a beast race with a murderous grudge against everyone in authority I don't know what the point of TES games even is.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Bluemillion posted:

Breton with the Lord stone, and the three ranks of magic resistance from the alteration tree. Summon a bound bow and kill dragons in the nude.

Sounds chilly :ohdear:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
There isn't exactly any canonical precedent for anything like that, and in TES lore, "precedent" is kind of a squishy subject anyway, so I'd say you can do what you like. As long as your mod execution isn't stupid I'm sure you can get away whatever, especially if you sprinkle in some "Daedric princes work in mysterious ways" possibilities (a la how the "Nerevarine" might have been nothing more than a long con by Azura). Plus, people can be wrong about things and still cause problems (e.g. Mankar Cameron).

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Nobody even mentioned the Planemeld during the Oblivion crisis, which was basically the same thing but with a different Daedric prince.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's not that I had to kill him in town that bothered me so much, it's that he phased into existence at his stall. That reduced my already-narrow options quite a bit, and more importantly broke immersion. I ended up following him home and using Ghostwalk to slit his throat on his doorstep, and Ghostwalk snapped me back to where I was, so I was out of sight of the guards walking by at that exact time.

By the way, does anyone know a good store which sells just plain Invisibility? Ghostwalk is nice, but its limitations can be bothersome.

I think you can only get it from the College. You could also mix yourself up some potions.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I've been replaying Skyim and combat has actually been surprisingly fun, but only once I got quick reflexes.

Cubey posted:

I also turned the difficulty way down. I like a challenge, but the combat in Skyrim is not challenging, it's just tedious. While I'm not sure exactly how they'd balance it, I think these games would be much better served by a combat system in which both you and the enemies have way less HP. Make it challenging for real, not 'challenging' by way of awful tedium.

I used to believe this, until I played Gothic and learned that getting one-shotted by enemies for the full first half of the game isn't fun.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Ghostgate is the worst.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
The most "balanced" is to start it at 0 and gradually increase it with your level. (If you crank it up at the beginning you're probably going to get wrecked.)

But most people here will say that the proper Morrowind endgame is becoming a god, not challenging combat.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Nasgate posted:

For those of you still playing. What keeps you coming back?

I've done every quest and explored every dungeon

I have not done those things in my few hundred hours, which is my answer.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

vug posted:

The big problem with bleak falls barrow is it buggers up the story if you go there before nerd wizard guy asks you to go there (by going into the riverwood trader instead of running straight to whiterun), because you never see the mysterious woman come to collect it

i'm fairly sure i've seen reviews where that happened to them and they say that the dragonstone is a pointless maguffin that has nothing to do with the rest of the story

You just miss out on a bit of foreshadowing. When you first meet Delphine she says "Hey, weren't you the one who found this originally?"

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Nth Doctor posted:

Wait, what?

If you visit Dragonsreach before picking up the Dragonstone, you'll hear a Very Mysterious Woman talking to Farengar about an Important Artifact she needs. The woman is Delphine and the artifact is the Dragonstone. It doesn't happen often because most of us go to Bleak Falls Barrow before heading to Whiterun, either because of the Golden Claw quest, or just because it's the first big, tempting ruin you see.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
But but but the Soul Cairn :supaburn:

wtf was that anyway

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Hellsau posted:

This is basically why I don't like Skyrim compared to Morrowind. There's a lot more stupid edgy bullshit, and a ton more rape. God drat is there a lot of rape.

:psyduck: I guess you aren't familiar with Almalexia's origins

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Some goon claimed to be the developer responsible for cliff racers.

My Q-Face posted:

I broke the game by murdering the sacrificial Argonian instead of saving him as I was "supposed" to

This is a bug - that dude is totally killable. You lose out on a couple of skill points later but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

DStecks posted:

Getting back into playing Skyrim after like a year- is it normal for travelling, even along roads, to be a ceaseless rolling swordfight against wolves? Because I don't remember there being this loving many wolves. I am running the Skyrim Unbound mod.

I feel like I average one wolf attack (1-4 wolves) per trip between cities.