Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

This is insane. There will be cups and balled-up food wrappers thrown in the ring for the first time in a decade on Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

NienNunb posted:

Well theres where ya went wrong!

Now that Icehouse doesn't exist Yuengling is the best beer available in the poo poo tier.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Sheamus had some great matches with the Big Show.

Don't you mean :eng101: Sheamus Lipschitz?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wow:

Sheamus's Wiki Page posted:

Farrelly soon developed his wrestling character by drawing on Celtic mythology. Wanting to move away from limiting Irish stereotypes of lucky charms, leprechauns and alcoholism, he instead wanted to portray an Irish warrior. Going to a Gaelscoil, Farelly grew up aware of the four cycles of Irish mythology and, inspired by the artwork of Jim Fitzpatrick, incorporated the sword and axe-wielding imagery into his gimmick. This included the design of his own pendant, the crossos, which combines the Celtic cross with a Celtic War sword to illustrate his character's "indigenous origins with a hybrid of warrior strength matched with a strong ethical centre."
can anyone explain how a wrestler whose gimmick is that he is of Irish ethnicity has not been Vince-ified into 'lucky charms, faith-and-begorrah, alcoholism' yet?

Sheamus must have photos of Savage raping Steph to not have been turned into an orange-haired Santino by now.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

triplexpac posted:

While we're talking about Nationalist stables, I think we're about due for a new Team Canada. Lance Storm, The Hart Foundation, the TNA one... they're always great.

The closest WWF got was the horribly named Un-Americans

How quickly you forget La Resistance, featuring Robert Conway

I mean,

just look at him

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

oatgan posted:

lana will leave him when fandango transitions to a ballet gimmick
This will be good because CJ Perry has spent over a decade training in ballet.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Golden Bee posted:

The referee declares, that since Rusev or Big Show or whoever is kicking too much rear end, the fight is over and the asskicker loses. You can only kick the right amount of rear end!
I mean, failing to answer a standing 8 count is a thing in boxing. And MMA fights are stopped all the time when the loser is clearly helpless and overmatched. I don't hate the finish, but it should be earned.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just a heads-up, the "dropkick from the outside onto the ring" is technically known as a 'Basement Dropkick,' so it does have a name.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alain Post posted:

I actually think *3/4 overrates the rumble, though I guess it was slightly more enjoyable than NAO/Ascension.

At least the right people won the Ascension match

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

But if you can ground the supernatural in the real, which is what Bray and Undertaker and Kane and other successful fantasy based gimmicks have always done, they work brilliantly. Whether it's something as simple as having some guys be "superstitious" and believe and other guys be "skeptics," and think they're just bullshitting, having the announcers keep things intentionally ambiguous so the audience can believe what they want to (JR was great at this), or even just minimizing the weirdness, keeping it relatively muted and out of the spotlight when that character gets story focus, and letting those who are into it enjoy it, there are a lot of ways to make it work.

Hell, I'd argue that Stardust (and to a lesser extent Golddust) are 'fantasy' gimmicks and the announcers have somehow managed not to poo poo all over it going "it's just Cody Rhodes!" When your character is billed from Heart of the Cosmos or whatever and everything you do is in quest of the Cosmic Key, that's not exactly SCSA-level motivations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Just make it free and watch the subscriber base skyrocket

Nothing would make them happier than offering the product for free and putting ads on (and keeping 100% of the ad revenue). Other companies are keeping a close loving eye on the WWE Network, because individual taste-based streaming services are coming

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Well Canada is Bizarro-land and all your fans are wrong and morally bankrupt for cheering dastardly fiends like Bret Hart and La Resistance, why would Vince want to supply you with the Network? You'll just use it to watch wrestling wrong! :bahgawd:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Skunkrocker posted:

And this is coming from a couple of guys that, as you said, are carny as gently caress.
They literally self-identify as "the Dark Carnival," so yeah, they're a bit carny. Still, they pay their talent on time.

I saw ICP in a match in WCW a while ago on the Network; Shaggy 2 Dope did a passable moonsault. They were better than the average celeb, I'd put them in the top-tier with Snooki in terms of performance by non-wrestlers.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gaz2k21 posted:

Wait, snooki as in that Jersey Shore girl?? Where can I find this on the network???

On the subject of celeb wrestlers does anyone know if any of The Misfits WCW matches are on the network?

Snooki was in a Wrestlemania celebrity match with known mark Maria Menunos and was actually pretty good. Better than any Kelly Kelly performance I've ever seen

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

As someone who does not have cable and it away from computers (on a smart phone), could some post a recap of Smackdown after it is over. I would greatly appreciate it.

Roman Reigns got booed out of the opening promo, Tyson Kidd won 1-2-3 in the middle of the ring, Miz got clowned by a literal magician, and Daniel Bryan had a *** Casket Match

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AlmightyPants posted:

Is it worth watching any of it?

Watch the Miz/Mizdow/a random magician bit and pay special attention to R-Truth, it's a special kind of magical (apart from what the magician is doing)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I hope on Monday curtis axel gets all the heat meant for Roman Reigns and we can start calling him :woop::supaburn: CURTIS AXEL! :supaburn::woop:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alain Post posted:

i kind of hate his cowardly heel character now because it makes no freaking sense for a cowardly chickenshit heel to do super-risky high spots!!!

In a book I read called Saving the Indies From Themselves, the author goes into proper heeling and explains that heels can have face qualities. No heel has six different heelish things about them; consider Randy Orton (from his heel days) - not chickenshit, but clearly megalomaniacal and psychopathic. Or Flair - chickenshit and arrogant, but not a pretender/paper champion. There's a bunch of bad character traits that make up a heel, every heel doesn't have to have all of them.

I never think of Seth as chickenshit, more "conniving and devious," so he takes naps in the corner during triple threats, then when the time is right, busts out some super-move like the Phoenix Splash on a prone, weakened opponent. That's certainly heel behavior, and if the WWE can't give its wrestlers time on the mic to prove that they're fighting 'for the wrong reasons/goals,' that's on WWE not the wrestlers.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

So about what percentage of this is Show's fault and what is Roman's?

100% and 100% respectively.

The spot was 200% stupid.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

the championship match is Big Show vs. Big Show.

How can Big Show possibly lift the Big Show?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Michael Hayes is the only person who has ever made me drop my mouth open in shock, in any media ever.

On the CM Punk DVD, he's one of the talking heads, and he said "Everyone knew Punk was good, but there were some people in the head office who didn't agree, and did what they could to hold him down."

When Michael Hayes was literally one of those people. :aaaaa:

It takes a special level of revisionist history to say there was a problem you were part of, and that you were not part of the problem. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

If you mic properly (ie don't use the camera's mic) and buy even the simplest of lighting setups for proper key/fill, you can make well-edited videos pretty cheap now. The only thing he's really doing is multi-track audio, which granted isn't easy, but it ain't that hard either.

• Locked thread