Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This looks okay but I ended up liking Injustice more than MK9 so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Hingehead posted:

Scorpion's fatality have been revealed and it isn't pretty. I have a tough stomach, I am able to handle beheading videos and even then that was a bit hard to stomach through, but this....this is too much and I say it as a complement, the details really shows with anatomical correctness.

Face off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dna4tF8wM1c

So it's basically impossible to get an AO for violence against willing combatants. Good to know.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm a bit worried that Scoprion's fatality will have to be redone. I remember them showing off Joker's fatality for Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe and they added up censoring it in the full game.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm a bit worried that Scoprion's fatality will have to be redone. I remember them showing off Joker's fatality for Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe and they added up censoring it in the full game.

The on,y reason they had to do that is because it was a DC property. For MK, they don't care. They'll probably keep it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm pretty sure MK vs DC was a T-Rated game and Netherrealm was so loving obsessed with it that they added it back in MK9 anyways for Shang Tsung.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I just looked into the Injustice comic (which is still going!) and apparently this is the first time anyone ever thought of taking out Black Adam by just putting the lasso of truth around him and forcing him to expose his power word? That seems like such an obvious thing so it's kinda weird to find out it hadn't happened until this forgettable game tie-in comic was written.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Well it's like that The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe one shot, if any of the major characters really thought with lethal intent no one would be alive.

Beef Waifu posted:

I'm pretty sure MK vs DC was a T-Rated game and Netherrealm was so loving obsessed with it that they added it back in MK9 anyways for Shang Tsung.

Correct, and it was actually only altered (the camera zooms in on the Joker instead of showing the full headshot) in the US and Europe, the Japanese version is not censored. In Mortal Kombat 9, to satisfy the negative reaction to this, Shang Tsung has a fatality where he turns into clown and graphically blows someone head off and it shows it repeatedly from multiple angles.

The other thing they did was have Sheeva is given Australia to conquer and rule over as she pleases by the UN as payment for helping to save the earth since the game was banned there. :)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think MKvDC or any MK since the arcade days got a Japanese release, and even then I'm guessing it only ever came to consoles, not actual arcades filled with a million other real fighting games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCmaqo-ldjQ

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Neo Rasa posted:

Well it's like that The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe one shot, if any of the major characters really thought with lethal intent no one would be alive.

But having Black Adam say "SHAZAM!" doesn't usually kill him. It just depowers him until he says it again.

Anyway, the best thing to come out of that comic is Alfred kicking the poo poo out of Superman.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alfred kicking the poo poo out of Superman owned.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Funny fatalities > super gross fatalities

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Watching Lynch vs. Gronk in MKX on Conan was amazing. Watch the clip online if you didn't catch it tonight.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Gavok posted:

Especially because Hal is a stupid meathead.

Ah, evil alternate universe Hal made an anti-air craft gun. I have the perfect counter to this!

*makes an airplane and lets it get shot to poo poo*

Truly captured Hal Jordan in those cut-scenes.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Gavok posted:

Watching Lynch vs. Gronk in MKX on Conan was amazing. Watch the clip online if you didn't catch it tonight.

link

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Conon's reaction to the fatalities is priceless.

precision posted:

Funny fatalities > super gross fatalities

Smoke's earthbomb from MK3 will always be my favorite fatality of all time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cassie Cage is already my favorite character

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

precision posted:

Cassie Cage is already my favorite character

Only thing that could top that is if Johnny Cage came back. Just drat, that X-Ray is BRUTAL.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Hey, so I wrote this massive article for Den of Geek where I've ranked every single Mortal Kombat character from worst to best.

Mortal Kombat: Ranking All the Characters.

Spoiler: Reiko is the worst.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gavok posted:

Hey, so I wrote this massive article for Den of Geek where I've ranked every single Mortal Kombat character from worst to best.

Oh hey, I was looking forward to that since you mentioned you were writing it.

Edit: God, I don't remember half these characters.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 30, 2015

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Gavok posted:

Awesome article as always! Not too familiar with MK's lore, so this was a cool primer. Johnny Cage owns, and also has the best theme in Mortal Kombat: The Album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2cJrFDxzo8

Also I want to see scans from that Mortal Kombat 2 comic with Sub-Zero handing out business cards.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gavok posted:

quote:

49. Jade

I now have a quarrel with you :colbert:

Well, not really. But for me the hilarity of beating up dudes with a portable stripper pole kinda made up for the lack of a backstory, and her story in MK9 kinda sorta had some potential.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 30, 2015

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

PunkBoy posted:

Also I want to see scans from that Mortal Kombat 2 comic with Sub-Zero handing out business cards.

Best quality I have for the comic, sorry.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jamesman posted:

Best quality I have for the comic, sorry.

I always loved how the MK2 comic laid down the groundwork for the robot stuff in MK3.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Gavok posted:

This is a pretty solid list, though I have to say Kai is the one character I truly hope makes it into MKX.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Still not sold on MK X but I am now a huge fan of Marshawn Lynch.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Sub-Zero owns, and I want to see him get a suit alternate costume now.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Two of my favorites are the top worst. :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

PunkBoy posted:

Sub-Zero owns, and I want to see him get a suit alternate costume now.

Throwing business cards like ninja stars.

Looking over that ranked list of characters, it makes me really feel that a lot of the characters could be given second chances. MK9 redid the events of the first three games and made a much more cohesive story and brought all the characters into the greater conflict. Originally, you had duds like Stryker and Nightwolf in MK3 that stood out as Village People rejects, but they were brought back and made into much stronger characters thanks to a redone story and thanks to fun gameplay.

If MKX had chosen to do the same thing with the events of MK4 and Deadly Alliance, you reinvent a bunch of the poo poo characters from those games and do some cool stuff with the story. Kinda bummed we won't get to see that, but hopefully the direction they've chosen to gone will end up being OK.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
nightwolf and stryker were the coolest dudes in mk3 you nuts. the sound from the chubby cop nightstick slide throw thing was sick. WOOOOPASHUH

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Never knew who Sareena was before this article, but her being the one shining light in Sub-Zero 1's actions could make for a neat story to revisit.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Fibby Boy posted:

Two of my favorites are the top worst. :(

If it's any consolation, the half-literate guy in the comments agrees with you.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Fantastic article Gavok.

Although I'd had Scorpion and Kuai Liang sharing the number one spot.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm impressed that you managed to flush out the only fan Reiko's ever had.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Gavok posted:

Great list. It made me realize how rock solid all of the new characters added to MK 2 were. Not a bad one in the bunch.

It also made me realize that I can barely remember my own birthday, but I could easily place every MK 2 character portrait in their correct spot on the selection screen despite not having played the game in over 10 years.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

You have Jade near the bottom and Raiden near the top. Your trip to Opposite Land changed you, man.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gavok is right about that decision.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gavok posted:

Thank you very much for writing this and realizing how lame Li Mei and Dairou are. :)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You have Jade near the bottom and Raiden near the top. Your trip to Opposite Land changed you, man.

The problem with Jade is that they do jack poo poo with her whenever she appears. The most she ever gets to do in contemplate killing Kitana before joining her again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hotaru should be higher imo, i wouldn't call him fun but i liked his fighting style

also johnny cage song owns

• Locked thread