Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Jimlit posted:

Is this still the game for trailer trash kids with rat tails?

lol it's true.

I mean on some level that is unfair but on another Mortal Kombat is the only game where if you look up "how to do combos" on youtube every single video will have at least one person each a) pissed off that their favorite character was the combo dummy or b) talking about how much they enjoy seeing the female characters beaten and killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You have Jade near the bottom and Raiden near the top. Your trip to Opposite Land changed you, man.

I'm sorry, between Christopher Lambert and The Greatest Fuckup Of All Time, Raiden owns hard.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Is Raiden even worshiped in the MK universe? Cause if he is those followers really need to drop that. I don't think there is even a Greek god that blunders things as much as he did. Even blundered giving himself a clear message from the future.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Reading that list and then watching the hour long youtube of all the MK9 story cutscenes was fun. I love the MK story modes unashamedly, they are my favorite thing. Mk9 was really a blast to play through that story mode.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Broose posted:

Is Raiden even worshiped in the MK universe? Cause if he is those followers really need to drop that. I don't think there is even a Greek god that blunders things as much as he did. Even blundered giving himself a clear message from the future.

Raiden didn't gently caress up. By changing the timeline, Johnny Cage got to live. Praise be to Raiden!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sorry, between Christopher Lambert and The Greatest Fuckup Of All Time, Raiden owns hard.

Plus there's his ending from Deception where he's all, "Hey, Shujinko! Way to go killing Onaga. Too bad you caused all this poo poo in the first place, you dope. Taste my lightning, fucker!" The fact that it was the only ending that Shujinko didn't narrate made it even better.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Gavok posted:

Plus there's his ending from Deception where he's all, "Hey, Shujinko! Way to go killing Onaga. Too bad you caused all this poo poo in the first place, you dope. Taste my lightning, fucker!" The fact that it was the only ending that Shujinko didn't narrate made it even better.

Flawed characters are fun which is why I love rear end in a top hat liu kang he actually has a personality for once.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Do you suck at MK9 but enjoy the story mode and high level play? Click this link to this video of Vman playing it though on expert, or be like me and add to your watch later list and then forget about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyr0SX9Uhgc

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Shoutouts to the BBH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9QY0Nxnexo

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I like how fans suddenly want a game this close from release to add the recently departed lead singer of Gwar into the roster. A game that they'll play for maybe a month at most. QUICK EVERYONE SIGN THIS ONLINE PETITION SO NETHERREALM STUDIOS CAN SPEND COUNTLESS UNPAID HOURS INTO ADDING THIS RANDOM DUDE INTO THEIR NEWEST DEATH SIMULATOR BECAUSE GWAR.

Get the gently caress out of here.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

AndyElusive posted:

I like how fans suddenly want a game this close from release to add the recently departed lead singer of Gwar into the roster. A game that they'll play for maybe a month at most. QUICK EVERYONE SIGN THIS ONLINE PETITION SO NETHERREALM STUDIOS CAN SPEND COUNTLESS UNPAID HOURS INTO ADDING THIS RANDOM DUDE INTO THEIR NEWEST DEATH SIMULATOR BECAUSE GWAR.

Get the gently caress out of here.

Having a member of Gwar as DLC wouldn't be any worse than having Freddy Kreuger was in the last game. No reason to get so mad, buddy.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 1, 2015

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Jamesman posted:

Having a member of Gwar as DLC wouldn't be any worse than having Freddy Kreuger was in the last game. No reason to get so mad, buddy.

They should have John Wayne Gacy as DLC for their death simulator.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'd rather see Garth Brooks as DLC in Ultra Street Fighter 4 with Chris Gaines in Mortal Kombat X.

New issue of the comic came out today, featuring Tasia, one of the bosses from that lovely Special Forces game. That's a deep cut. As for Frost, she isn't dead, so she might show up in the game after all.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
gwar is awesome

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dude adding the singer for GWAR would be infinity times better than Freddy Krueger and would be awesome I'm sorry you hate things that are fun and cool. I got to see GWAR twice before dude died and it was every bit as fun as Mortal Kombat(sic).

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Neo Helbeast posted:

Do you suck at MK9 but enjoy the story mode and high level play? Click this link to this video of Vman playing it though on expert, or be like me and add to your watch later list and then forget about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyr0SX9Uhgc

High level play

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm pretty sure NR were always going to add Freddy as DLC from the get go in MK9.

I don't have a problem with Gwar as much as I have an issue with people thinking a petition to add the lead singer into the game this close to release is going to go anywhere.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
Kung Lao gameplay looks... amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaclMREaFQo

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I always felt that Freddy was more WB forcing NRS's hand. Considering they could have added other characters in that spot that already had assets in MK9, IE Tanya.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
im glad the animations don't look as insanely janky as they were in mk9. looks like a fun little game to play

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Was Kung Lao doing the downward pummel that Donnie Yen did in Ip Man?

If so, that's pretty cool.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Freddy sold way better than all the other DLC characters and Scorpion outsold all the DC characters in Injustice so they're gonna keep doing guest characters and you're presumably gonna keep buying them.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
So with all the promotion of Gronk and Lynch playing MKX on Conan, and the fact that sporting events are usually paired with commercials for videogames now, what are the odds that we'll see an ad for MKX during the game?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Neo Rasa posted:

Thank you very much for writing this and realizing how lame Li Mei and Dairou are. :)

Li Mei is the worst, which makes me sad because on paper she's a SE Asian renegade pirate using Hokuto Shinken on a bloody quest of vengeance, and ingame she's... Li Mei.

In "better characters" news, this is the best thing to happen on youtube:

(and yes that is actually him)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Gavok posted:

Hey, so I wrote this massive article for Den of Geek where I've ranked every single Mortal Kombat character from worst to best.

Mortal Kombat: Ranking All the Characters.

Spoiler: Reiko is the worst.

May I ask what that weird Johnny Cage costume for his picture was from?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gavok posted:

I'd rather see Garth Brooks as DLC in Ultra Street Fighter 4 with Chris Gaines in Mortal Kombat X.

New issue of the comic came out today, featuring Tasia, one of the bosses from that lovely Special Forces game. That's a deep cut. As for Frost, she isn't dead, so she might show up in the game after all.

Both Sonya and Raiden are being kind of a dicks against Kotal. The guy just wanted to talk goddamit.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Bloodly posted:

May I ask what that weird Johnny Cage costume for his picture was from?

The image on the right is from Armageddon, but he had that outfit in Deadly Alliance.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Until I read that article I thought Li Mei was from one of the Soul Calibur games. My brain is old.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Why were the post MK3 games so bad, before Warner acquired Netherrealm? Was it Midway's fault?

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Why were the post MK3 games so bad, before Warner acquired Netherrealm? Was it Midway's fault?

Only MK4 was bad. The rest were decent.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the 3D trilogy of games were quite fun. Just the spinoffs and MK4 were terrible. I don't even remember why MK4 was so bad but I know it was.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

precision posted:

Yeah the 3D trilogy of games were quite fun. Just the spinoffs and MK4 were terrible. I don't even remember why MK4 was so bad but I know it was.

MK4 was basically them rebuilding MK3 from scratch, only with worse gameplay, terrible graphics and lame gimmicks like that laughable damage cap to prevent infinites.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Pretty much. Midway was giving really tiny budgets to the Mortal Kombat team for years and then Warner Bros gave them a huge budget for MK9.

Andrew Verse posted:

Deadly Alliance and Armageddon were awful, only Deception was good.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Yeah Deception was the lone shining star of the post mk3 to mk9 era. Kinda got all its ducks in a row. Konquest was great and fun, good stages, good roster, puzzle kombat, although wasn't terribly balanced.

I don't know the numbers but apparently Armageddon was made on a shoestring budget.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

I don't even remember why MK4 was so bad but I know it was.

MK4 came out during that transitional period where 2D was out and polygons were in, so everyone was focusing on making lovely-looking 3D renders and there was no focus on actually making good gameplay. So you had every character playing exactly the same, except for their small handful of special moves, and a final boss that was a poor man's Shang Tsung. Why he didn't have any of the powers he used in MK: Mythologies, I don't know.

In fact, a handful of the characters in the game were just lovely versions of existing characters that existed just to make the roster feel new and fresh, but instead made it feel lame and uninspired.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

precision posted:

Just the spinoffs and MK4 were terrible

Yo Shaolin Monks was great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shaolin Monks was fun as hell.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Evil Canadian posted:

Konquest was great and fun
Deception's Konquest mode was so awful it was good. That voice acting :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjRMhFfuBao

The harder combo tutorials can go gently caress themselves, though.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Andrew Verse posted:

Armageddon wasn't good. They traded character depth for having all characters. I didn't play much MK vs DC, so I don't have much of an opinion on that game. Deadly Alliance and Deception made me realize Ed Boon will lie his rear end off about how much content his games have and to not trust him. ("super unlockables") He also pretended for months that the Wii U version of Injustice was going to get all the DLC. When it didn't he never talked about it.

Why exactly do people think the late Gwar lead singer should be in the game? I only know about that band because of Beavis and Butthead.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Spacebump posted:

Why exactly do people think the late Gwar lead singer should be in the game? I only know about that band because of Beavis and Butthead.

They had a violent stage show and he died. It's an online petition that's not gonna go anywhere yet makes people really mad for some reason.

• Locked thread