Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Angrymog posted:

Phone posting. DDO does a reasonable job of being recognisably D&D based in a mmo format

It's a very different sort of D&D than Pathfinder. My point is you couldn't do a 1-for-1 conversion of the rules to a computer game; nobody would want a game where your starting character can die in one to three hits and you have to roll up a new one after that, and no sane designers would go anywhere near converting Pathfinder's spell system to a MMO.

Gau posted:

If you read the interview you can witness Dancey shoving nearly all responsibility off to other people.

I said he was honest about how badly it stumbled, but not why it stumbled. That falls on him and his bad ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The beautiful thing about Ryan Dancey is that literally every single thing he's done has ended in a miserable failure and people continue to hire him to manage things. And when questioned, his fans respond with "if he were so terrible, he wouldn't still be getting hired!"

It's not the horrible slow descent into misery of PFO that I look forward to. It's finding out what his next project he convinced some poor fucker to hire him for will be.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm telling you, man. The Vince Russo of gaming.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The main thing is that being involved with D&D 3e gave a lot of the people involved an aura of gaming superstardom - how else do you explain Sean K. Reynolds? Dancey being involved with buying out TSR, being involved with Dungeons & Dragons 3e, and also being involved with Legend of the Five Rings were huge boons for his rep. Of course, his brainchilds like d20 and Rolling Thunder were each disastrous to their companies and to the industry as a whole, to the point that d20 was coopted by Paizo and Legend of the Five Rings was sold off to Wizards for a time. While he's competent enough at short-term gains, he also has a bloated ego and no ability to self-reflect or take criticism, which eventually leads to disaster. I'm honestly still kind of shocked they let him talk in public, since he's such an abrasive, confrontational windbag that he eventually alienates all but the most diehard believers.

Like, getting Kickstarters to fund PFO is one thing, and advantageous for them in the short-term, but they needed at some point to realize that no way Dancey's plan was going to work and shut it down. But since he can't blame himself, he pushes onward into the abyss, and I hope for Paizo's sake he doesn't drag them after.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Like, getting Kickstarters to fund PFO is one thing, and advantageous for them in the short-term, but they needed at some point to realize that no way Dancey's plan was going to work and shut it down. But since he can't blame himself, he pushes onward into the abyss, and I hope for Paizo's sake he doesn't drag them after.
The fact that they set up a separate studio for PFO indicates that Paizo high command understands the importance of limiting their liability and downside exposure.

And Dancey did do a couple of things correctly. Steering L5R through the tangle of post-Magic CCGs and getting it bought and everybody paid was a pretty good trick, and he was the mover and shaker behind 3E which was a much bigger hit than anyone was expecting. Everything since then has been a trainwreck, though - people have barely mentioned his biggest disaster which was his management of the Organized Play convention organization (complete with snooping on competitors' private email exchanges!).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah. Presumably it can't literally bring down Paizo with it, but it can certainly do damage to the Pathfinder brand.

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The main thing is that being involved with D&D 3e gave a lot of the people involved an aura of gaming superstardom - how else do you explain Sean K. Reynolds? Dancey being involved with buying out TSR, being involved with Dungeons & Dragons 3e, and also being involved with Legend of the Five Rings were huge boons for his rep. Of course, his brainchilds like d20 and Rolling Thunder were each disastrous to their companies and to the industry as a whole, to the point that d20 was coopted by Paizo and Legend of the Five Rings was sold off to Wizards for a time. While he's competent enough at short-term gains, he also has a bloated ego and no ability to self-reflect or take criticism, which eventually leads to disaster. I'm honestly still kind of shocked they let him talk in public, since he's such an abrasive, confrontational windbag that he eventually alienates all but the most diehard believers.

I believe that this is why Lisa Stevens is taking a more active role. Over the last few weeks she has been posting blogs about PFO on the main Paizo site. She has also kept Ryan on a tight leash lately so his posts on external forums all seem to consist of one sentence along the lines of "THIS IS GLORIOUS" in response to some fluff written by one of his chosen few.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That Lisa Stevens hired Ryan Dancey is one of those things I can't quite square. What I've read from her time at TSR and what she managed to pull off with Paizo/Pathfinder gives me the impression that she's a very shrewd businesswoman ... except she hired Ryan Dancey.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Maybe she's in a Brewster's Millions situation?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm reasonably certain the goal here is to bilk a bunch of nerds out of all their cash, then spend maybe 5% of that on the game itself. The rest goes to lining the pockets of everyone involved. It even works in the long term, because the diehard players will buy enough frivolous poo poo (and required stuff like buildings) to keep the servers running with some change left over.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Why is there a thread for Pathfinder Online?

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Eox posted:

I'm reasonably certain the goal here is to bilk a bunch of nerds out of all their cash, then spend maybe 5% of that on the game itself. The rest goes to lining the pockets of everyone involved. It even works in the long term, because the diehard players will buy enough frivolous poo poo (and required stuff like buildings) to keep the servers running with some change left over.

Nah, it's not Star Citizen. These guys are actually making a game. Erik Mona could spray fans with diarrhea and Pathfinder sales wouldn't drop, but I think an outright scam might actually rebound back onto Paizo's brand.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Jackard posted:

Why is there a thread for Pathfinder Online?

Because, as MMO players, we are honor bound to at least try every terrible game that hits the market in order to feed our terrible massively multiplayer addiction. I'm surprised we don't have a thread for "The Realm Online."*

*Better MMO than PFO

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gau posted:

Nah, it's not Star Citizen. These guys are actually making a game.

You clearly haven't actually tried to play PFO.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Because, as MMO players, we are honor bound to at least try every terrible game that hits the market in order to feed our terrible massively multiplayer addiction. I'm surprised we don't have a thread for "The Realm Online."*

*Better MMO than PFO

loving hell I haven't thought about the realm in years.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

There are lots of problems with implementing dungeons. Unity is not one of them.

Dungeons require us to have built a lot of art assets and environments. They require more AI programming. They require us to build more camera tech to deal with interior spaces. We have to write tech to manage the sorts of things you will expect in dungeons like doors, locks, switches, etc. We have to deal with the issues of line of sight and the load on the video system. It is almost like making another whole game. We just don't have the time or resources to work on that yet.

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
MMORPG.COM just handed off their review to a second writer because the first one was too close to Ryan Dancy and didn't want to have to write the first truly horrible review about a game his friend made:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/436434

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Maybe it's because I'm on my phone, but your link just redirects me to their general forums page.

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
Works for me, but you can try this one as well. It's a link to the non-forum version: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/719/view/news/page/1/read/35529/Pathfinder-Online-The-Review-Continues-with-Fresh-Eyes.html

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The article really isn't anything new. What I find more interesting is how the guy who is friends with Ryan refers to passing off the assignment, saying that he can't bring himself to play the game and calls making his underling do the review "torturing" him, and he even admits that he'd score the game at most a 5 out of 10 if he had to give a number.

And then there's the one idiot in the comments who wrote a whole speech about how the reviewer is being intellectually dishonest by not playing for hours and hours before commenting on his first impressions.

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012

senrath posted:

And then there's the one idiot in the comments who wrote a whole speech about how the reviewer is being intellectually dishonest by not playing for hours and hours before commenting on his first impressions.

That same guy went on all the gaming sites pasting the same idiotic message. I think he may be part of the development team.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Eh, I think it's more likely he's just someone who backed the Kickstarters for way too much money and is desperately trying to justify his investment.

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
I just installed the free trial. It is exactly as lovely as it was 3 months ago. "Running Shot" roots you in place.

LOL

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Calidor posted:

I just installed the free trial. It is exactly as lovely as it was 3 months ago. "Running Shot" roots you in place.

LOL
Man, that's the exact opposite of the Pathfinder Ethos. Running Shot should only exist in a Pathfinder MMO where you can already run and shoot.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Can you take Prone Shooter?

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
HEH I just found out that they have all these "keywords" tied to items. So for instance Brigandine armor grants (Light, Stealthy, Quiet, Supple)

Now, you might think that those words mean you get a bonus to Stealth or moving Quietly... NOPE!!!

Instead they are just words you have to match for an armor bonus. So if you have a skill that says Light, Stealthy and you wear Brigandine armor you get an armor bonus. Stealthy and Quiet are meaningless. It could say Ham and Pastrami.

Seriously. If you have not loaded the trial it is worth the 30 minutes of your time just to be able to say that you actually did play the worst game of all time. It would be hard to make it worse if I were to intentionally try,

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
Now Dancey is crying that his game is so special that there is no way to review the game objectively!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.c...bjectively.html

Yup, the Steve Jobs of Marketing at work again!!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

"The only way to write an objective review on Pathfinder Online is if you like it."

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I could write an objectivist review of Pathfinder Online for a large enough bribe.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Unguided posted:

objectivist review of Pathfinder Online

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Ryan Dancey? This is Ryan Dancey speaking. I am the Steve Jobs of MMO marketing. I am the Steve Jobs of crowdforgong his love and his values. I am the Steve Jobs of depriving you of Kickstarter money and thus creating your Golarion, and if you wish to know why the game is perishing—you who dread knowledge—I am the Steve Jobs who will now tell you.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 20, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't get into MMOs and never did, but I fondly remember haypeplf's stories about Ultima Online describing it as "fantasy Mogadishu."

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Judgement posted:

explained that half the water is missing due to their "procedural generation" tools making things run too slowly
Wait, why is the game based on a setting with huge amounts of maps and preexisting concept art for major locations doing procedural generation anything?

I am seriously baffled here. The art stuff being generally high-quality and of a distinctive style is like one of the few actual thematic points about Pathfinder that makes it different than D&D. Why would they throw that away?

Mormon Star Wars posted:

There are lots of problems with implementing dungeons. Unity is not one of them.

Dungeons require us to have built a lot of art assets and environments. They require more AI programming. They require us to build more camera tech to deal with interior spaces. We have to write tech to manage the sorts of things you will expect in dungeons like doors, locks, switches, etc. We have to deal with the issues of line of sight and the load on the video system. It is almost like making another whole game. We just don't have the time or resources to work on that yet.
I'm guessing there are no dragons, either.

Shouldn't the entire list of initial priorities for a d20-based game be:
1) Things to let you go in dungeons and steal treasure from them
and
2) Things to let you fight dragons and steal treasure from them
?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Roadie posted:

and
?

Listen, scrublord, maybe you just don't GET no-rules PvP utopian community wishing really hardbuilding.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

30.5 Days posted:

Five thousand american dollars.

I feel like this should be on every page.

Ederick
Jan 2, 2013

Roadie posted:

Wait, why is the game based on a setting with huge amounts of maps and preexisting concept art for major locations doing procedural generation anything?

I am seriously baffled here. The art stuff being generally high-quality and of a distinctive style is like one of the few actual thematic points about Pathfinder that makes it different than D&D. Why would they throw that away?

and
?

Woah hey this isn't some lovely Dungeons and Dragons game. Didn't you know 4E killed roleplaying and adventuring? This is Pathfinder. The procedurally generated landscape is at the heart of the game's philosophy! You can find anything by going off the non-existent roads, just like in Minecraft! Follow the length of the Half Made River to The Flat Forest With Trees Every Twenty Feet! This is True Freedom of Roleplaying in our time.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Roadie posted:

Because it's cheaper.

Every time Ryan Dancey has been given the choice between taking advantage of the IP or making the game cheaper to develop, he has always gone for the cheaper option. Theme parks take more time and are therefore more expensive to develop, so gently caress it we'll make a sandbox and ignore the robust and varied Adventure Paths. Putting in NPCs and mapping the world of Golarion will take too much time, so gently caress it generate everything procedurally. Character classes would be too expensive to develop and balance, so gently caress it full skill based system. Even their explanation for not being any dungeons is basically "because it's cheaper not to".

Then Ryan wonders why everyone says PFO is a corner-cutting cash grab.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Roadie posted:

Adding to the above post, what it comes down to is that from the beginning, Dancey has been hustling to explain how PO is going to compete with MMOs that have more money and experience behind them. There's no real design philosophy behind PFO besides "convince everyone that this wasn't a ludicrous proposal."

That said, I believe there is some interest in PFO from the segment of the Pathfinder fanbase that is obsessed with "immersion" and "verisimilitude" and rejects other MMOs on that basis. These are the people who want you to be able to just walk away with somebody else's unattended mount, for example.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone else tried Conclave? https://www.playconclave.com/

I remember trying it maybe 4 or 5 years ago and it seemed to hew rather close to 4th Edition D&D, but with asynchronous play for the turn-based combat.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Roadie posted:

Er, you mean like star wars galaxies? Like pathfinder online is real dumb, but if you're doing a combination sandbox PVPVE/running simulator, then ripping off SWG at every opportunity is not a bad idea.

You have to be not-incompetent about it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015
I have been playing PFO for some time now, and I can tell you, there is much Goonfear in that community.