Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Reading the building code is a bit of a slog, and as a newbie you'll probably need to look up a lot of terms, but if you're going to do your own design, then you have to do at least as much as what the code prescribes. Code is a bare minimum; you can overbuild (e.g. using thicker/wider beams) but you can't underbuild. You also aren't really allowed to get fancy with your structure. For example, originally I wanted to do a vaulted ceiling, where the weight of the roof rests on a ridge beam, which in turn rests on two posts at either end of the building. This would have allowed me to avoid having ceiling joists, resulting in a more open room with a higher ceiling. But the planning department said I'd need to get signoff from an engineer for such a design, since the code didn't cover it -- and engineering calculations are expensive, so forget about that.

When you say you would need to get an engineer to sign off on the plans that means a PE, yes? If that's the case I might just get my PE so I can sign off on my own buildings in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Not sure what you mean by PE, but this would have been a seismic and static load analysis (and possibly more, I forget); it's not trivial to perform and would have cost me a few thousand bucks for even this simple structure. Keep in mind that when an engineer stamps something, they're putting their engineering license on the line -- if someone builds that structure properly and it still fails, then the engineer is at fault. Getting those licenses is not easy.

Also, if you talk about self-certifying around here, people are likely to start talking about Groverhaus, and then ain't nobody happy...

PE is Professional Engineer. Depending on your locality it may be a requirement for the signing engineer for different levels of structures/projects to be a PE. Often times smaller towns and the like will require just any old engineer until one time something goes wrong (maybe groverhaus) and then literally everything requires a PE to stamp it, from parking lots to mailboxes (ok maybe not mailboxes).

In general if you hear the word "stamp" you can assume that it requires a PE as they are the ones with the stamps. If you just need an engineer to look at it and give it an OK you will probably hear the word "signature" instead of stamp. Either way you should check with your locality.

Also I'm an engineer so no groverhaus stuff here. I just don't have my PE license yet and depending on what I plan on doing I may or may not get it, the process is non-trivial. If I want to build a shed some day and need a PE to stamp my design, might as well be one myself, right?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Okay, sorry for explaining stuff to you that you already knew. Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

It's all good, no worries. I've never lived in a place where earthquakes were a thing, so the whole seismic portion of the analysis is new to me. I'm used to "Will 4 feet of snow collapse the roof?" If the answer is yes, retry.

• Locked thread