Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe
my dad helped me beat turtles in time when i was like 5

one time i played the first level by myself and i got freaked out when I got to the first boss, paused it, and waited until he got home to beat it with me

22 years later, my dad hates that I play games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

mysterious loyall X posted:

startropics sucks and your dad is stupid for doing that

startropics was pretty fun, except for that bullshit code. i also didn't have an instruction book. hwoever, when i got to that point i just turned off the gam ebecause gently caress trying to figure that poo poo out before the internet existed

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Dad murdered the C-Snake with the yo-yo without taking damage. SMB3 is dad's favorite game ever and calls me immature when I challenge him to it. He has not played it for decades and still talks about it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

IIRC DemoniusX thinks Startropics is at least memorable and decent, so be careful.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
my dad is everything i strive to be as a gamer, i too want to get super high and drive the taxi around gta cities and not give a poo poo about anything happening in the game for hours

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

my dad started me right, on mario and duke nukem (the sidescrollers, duh)

also a specific DOS version of lode runner that i haven't been able to find since.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

startropics is hard as hell but it's not a bad game

startropics II is unmemorable

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Sir AIDS posted:

My dad kept an Apple 2 in his room that he only used to play the Prince of Persia games on because the Apple versions were way better than the DOS and console versions.

snes pop kicked rear end idiot

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

star tropics has cumbersome movement and bad combat and is basically lovely zelda with some 80 let's get along with each other carebare type ques. gently caress you all

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Flanky posted:

My dad would never play games now, but when I was a kid I would make him play games for me like a tiny fat Roman emperor. He actually beat Sonic 2, which is pretty impressive for someone who doesn't like video games

mayb e you have to hate videogames in order to play sonic ? ever consider that ?

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
To this day my dad still knows how to get through level 9 in The Legend of Zelda. Zelda games are the only ones he ever liked.

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

mayb e you have to hate videogames in order to play sonic ? ever consider that ?

Actually no I didn't consider that mysterious loyall X, thank you for contributing your opinion for my consideration and God bless.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I had my dad play L.A. Noire once. He drove into light posts & stole cars.
I then had him play Saint's Row The Third. He made a lady version of the Riddler & spent 10 entire SMG mags on one long-dead body.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My dad was really into American Civil War games. He also p much liked any strategy game and really loved Medieval 2 Total War. But he died before i discovered Paradox games. I am certain he would enjoy EU4 and CK2. I also think he would like Mount and Blade since he saw me play Morrowind and liked sword combat.

He got to like lv 11 in that game one day while super high. His char was that midget elf and I think he pretended it was a hobbit. He was huge lotr nerd.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

My dad plays strategy games. When I was 7 he bought Age of Empires and let me play it a bit and now I love strategy games

He's really, really into Hearts of Iron now, and nothing else. He keeps saying that he wants to quit, because he's been playing the same game for thousands of hours at this point, but he's gotten old enough now that learning new things is difficult on him or something (I bought him Europa Universalis 4 just so he'd have a little variety and I think he actually plays that occasionally)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

HebrewMagic posted:

I had my dad play L.A. Noire once. He drove into light posts & stole cars.
I then had him play Saint's Row The Third. He made a lady version of the Riddler & spent 10 entire SMG mags on one long-dead body.

I think it's tremendously immature to repay your father for everything he's done for you by making him play exclusively rear end poo poo garbage games

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
My dad is old and falls asleep on the couch at 7:30 PM every night

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
If life is a game, dads have got the high score. Thanks, dad!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Thanks, dad.

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
My dad got motion sickness from playing N64

:smith:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

My dad didn't really play much games, but he was huge in getting me into gaming. He always got shareware floppies with tonnes of good and bad games and taught me to start doom before I could talk. He liked simulation stuff so he got me onto all the good stuff like SC2k, AoE, RCT

Thanks dad.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
when i was younger i always wanted to play as luigi in smb1 and smb3, so id rope my dad into being mario and we'd play together.
he was a pretty good platformer.

as he got older he stopped playing, but he still likes to come and sit and watch. recently my playing rocksmith and him seeing me go from terrible to not as terrible in some of his favourite songs is a pretty loving win thing.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Dad says he was awesome at pinball as a teen, sometimes he'll randomly tell me he played a cabinet while out and then tell me how long he played for, and that he left additional balls for later players. I learned from him that scrubs put money in the machines but never press Start, so I rarely actually pay for pinball when I'm out.

I think he got me Space Invaders on SNES because he also played it at arcades and he really enjoyed Toad's Turnpike in Mario Kart 64.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

My dad used to let me win at Combat on the 2600 back when I was a dumb tyke, and still likes the idea of video games even if he's too old these days to care about much more than solitaire and Sudoku and stuff on his tablet.

Thanks, dad.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

woofbro posted:

I learned from him that scrubs put money in the machines but never press Start, so I rarely actually pay for pinball when I'm out.

wtf

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have parents who aren't afraid of technology.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Phantasium posted:

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have parents who aren't afraid of technology.

it is weird.

i am like the benjamin button of electronic devices, i started out really good but ive gotten more and more retarded at them as ive grown, whereas my dad is now more powerful than ever before.

my mom can barely send emails though so it balances out, that or he is a lich, absorbing her strength.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
My dad plays Bridge online. He's pretty good. I don't get Bridge at all.

I did break the news to my dad that people make a living by talking about and playing video games on Youtube. He didn't believe me - still doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TFW your dad has a high-level nerd job designing processors and outclasses you in every way at everything except gaming. I Am The Failson

• Locked thread