Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

it's back. i'll start it off with a keeper question.

in a 6x6 roto exchanging avg for obp and adding slg and qs to the mix, who do you keep with a total draft budget of $225? i can keep up to 6 of these guys:

rizzo - $14
kinsler - $25
donaldson - $25
bautista - $25
pearce - $10
ortiz - $25
calhoun - $10
carpenter - $10
choo - $10
hamilton - $10
scherzer - $30
zimmermann - $15
teheran - $25
fiers - $10

- rizzo at $14 and choo at $10 are no-brainers.
- i'm leaning toward keeping bautista, but he's expensive, injury-prone, and old. hard to see him outperforming last year, too.
- donaldson scares me more than a $25 player should. what caused his spiral after may of last year? where will he hit in toronto's lineup?
- ortiz, flat out no. i can't trust a player that old. yes, last year's underlying numbers fall in line with his career and there's no statistical evidence he's in decline. but goddamnit, he's still 39. i just can't pull the trigger on that.
- calhoun has a dependable skillset, but not much upside. i'm only drawn to him if he bats in front of trout, which i believe should still be the case. even then i can probably draft him for $10 or less.
- carpenter?
- j hamilton?
- pearce?
- scherzer's way too expensive. i can't see myself spending $25 on kershaw much less $30 for scherzer.
- zimmermann comes at about the right price assuming a normal budget split between pitching and hitting, but i believe pitching is way, way, way too deep to spend even that much on one pitcher. spot starting is the only way to go these days.
- teheran, gently caress no. he faded badly from what i remember, and i definitely don't see him getting 12 w this year.
- fiers is the only tempting pitcher, i guess. the exact kind of pitcher i want in fantasy: k out the wazoo, nl, super young, and solid minors numbers. but...again, $10 is expensive considering my stance on pitching.

so as of now: rizzo at $14, choo at $10, bautista at $25, donaldson at $25, calhoun at $10

i welcome your thoughts. i'd really like to know more on carpenter, pearce, and hamilton. and yea, i hope to share my thoughts on your teams as well.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
Is that Billy or Josh Hamilton? I'd keep Billy for $10 but you'd have to give me $10 to keep Josh.

Your other keepers are who I'd keep, plus mayyybe Zim. You can probably get Zim for $15 on draft day though.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

josh--corrected.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I received an email from the commish of my keeper league with the subject line of "HEY FUCKERS" and a body of "THE TIME IS SOON. COME GET SOME." and man, I love this league.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I loving love fantasy baseball and I suck rear end at it. Can't wait.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm anticipating yet another terrible season for me this year. As far as my keepers go I either don't care for them or don't like the prices that I'll be keeping them for. The one thing I was really looking forward to was my $1 keeper Oscar Taveras :(.

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
I get to keep 2 of these in an 8x8 league with 12 teams (R/H/HR/RBI/SB/BB/AVG/OPS) (W/CG/Shutouts/SV/K/ERA/WHIP/QS)

Alex Cobb - Round 4
Doug Fister - Round 5
Kole Calhoun - Round 6
Tyson Ross - Round 8
AJ Pollock - Round 8
Anthony Rendon - Round 16

Those are the best options. Probably keeping Rendon and Fister or Ross. Thoughts?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

spanky69 posted:

I get to keep 2 of these in an 8x8 league with 12 teams (R/H/HR/RBI/SB/BB/AVG/OPS) (W/CG/Shutouts/SV/K/ERA/WHIP/QS)

Alex Cobb - Round 4
Doug Fister - Round 5
Kole Calhoun - Round 6
Tyson Ross - Round 8
AJ Pollock - Round 8

Those are the best options. Probably keeping Rendon and Fister or Ross. Thoughts?

Rendon, definitely. Is there any benefit to foregoing a keeper? Like, do you get an extra pick for only keeping one of them? Because if so, I'd probably just keep Rendom. But if you have to keep one of them...Fister or Calhoun.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
gently caress yes Fantasy Baseball time.

The time of year I spam the gently caress outta fantasypros.com mock draft tool while visions of babip dances in my head

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I'm in a 16 teamer where you can keep up to 3 keepers at the expense of your first, second and third round picks. Kershaw and Goldschmidt are no-brainers. Is Jordan Zimmerman worth losing my late-3rd rounder? I hate having two pitcher keepers and all the rankings sites have him on the borderline. On the other hand, Wins are a category and he plays on an awesome team in a terrible division.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Can't wait for Yahoo to open. usually around Superbowl weekend, right?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I got an email today that said the 31st

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Spoeank posted:

I got an email today that said the 31st

good poo poo. thanks.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy

coronaball posted:

I'm in a 16 teamer where you can keep up to 3 keepers at the expense of your first, second and third round picks. Kershaw and Goldschmidt are no-brainers. Is Jordan Zimmerman worth losing my late-3rd rounder? I hate having two pitcher keepers and all the rankings sites have him on the borderline. On the other hand, Wins are a category and he plays on an awesome team in a terrible division.

Toss him back. You already have Kershaw, and offense is rarer than ever this year. I'd rather take whoever the best hitter was on the board in the 3rd round than keep an SP who won't even get 200Ks.

spanky69 posted:

Alex Cobb - Round 4
Doug Fister - Round 5
Kole Calhoun - Round 6
Tyson Ross - Round 8
AJ Pollock - Round 8

I'd only keep Rendon, everyone else is not a great value especially with only 2 keepers.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!
Anyone know when you can start doing mock drafts on ESPN?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I need help determining some of my keepers in my twelve team H2H 6x6 league (standard 5x5 plus OPS and QS). Every team keeps exactly ten players as their first ten picks, no limit to how long you can keep someone. We start C/1B/2B/3B/SS/OFx3/Utilx2 SPx2/RPx2/Px3 with a 7 man bench.

Here's my current list with the other guys I'm debating on, notes added where I feel worth adding.

Trout
Miggy
Cano
Grienke
Rizzo
Desmond
Kimbrel - yes I know the Braves are bad but he'll still get a good amount of saves and the numbers he puts up as an RP help a ton in H2H
Tanaka - because unlimited time to keep
Kemp - worried about the move to SD
Yelich - I only have him this low because theoretically all the guys above him are better but I really like him
---------------------
Dozier - 20/20 and 100 runs from a 2B is nice but I mainly used him as a utility
Pineda - he was absurd when healthy last year, fluke or legit?
Gio - he's consistent, what's that worth?
Wil Myers - kind of an afterthought but considering his hype I figure I should at least put him on here

I'm pretty sure Cabrera played enough games at third last year to satisfy Yahoo's incredibly low bar to keep positional eligibility. I'm not entirely sure about Kemp with him moving to San Diego (I am aware how well he was hitting in the second half last year).

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I need help determining some of my keepers in my twelve team H2H 6x6 league (standard 5x5 plus OPS and QS). Every team keeps exactly ten players as their first ten picks, no limit to how long you can keep someone. We start C/1B/2B/3B/SS/OFx3/Utilx2 SPx2/RPx2/Px3 with a 7 man bench.

Here's my current list with the other guys I'm debating on, notes added where I feel worth adding.

Trout
Miggy
Cano
Grienke
Rizzo
Desmond
Kimbrel - yes I know the Braves are bad but he'll still get a good amount of saves and the numbers he puts up as an RP help a ton in H2H
Tanaka - because unlimited time to keep
Kemp - worried about the move to SD
Yelich - I only have him this low because theoretically all the guys above him are better but I really like him
---------------------
Dozier - 20/20 and 100 runs from a 2B is nice but I mainly used him as a utility
Pineda - he was absurd when healthy last year, fluke or legit?
Gio - he's consistent, what's that worth?
Wil Myers - kind of an afterthought but considering his hype I figure I should at least put him on here

I'm pretty sure Cabrera played enough games at third last year to satisfy Yahoo's incredibly low bar to keep positional eligibility. I'm not entirely sure about Kemp with him moving to San Diego (I am aware how well he was hitting in the second half last year).

You have Miggy, Trout, Cano, and Tanaka? If I was in your league I'd probably actively collude to break your legs. I'd dump maybe Yelich for Dozier but otherwise you should feel bad if you don't make the championships repeatedly with that bullshit lineup. Maybe trade Kemp or Kimbrel for Myers if you feel like gambling on his resurging.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

your offense is pretty ridiculous with those keepers. The only guy at the bottom I might try to find a spot for is Dozier, maybe switch him and Yelich. Otherwise I think you've got it right.

An infield of Rizzo, Cano, Desmond and Miggy, plus Trout in the outfield is god drat ridonkulous.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 28, 2015

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

An infield of Rizzo, Cano, Desmond and Miggy, plus Trout in the outfield is god drat ridonkulous.

That it is a twelve team league makes it more obscene.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah, I know it's ridiculous. Good trading, good drafting, and patience is the best advice I can give. I inherited the team before the 2012 season so it already had Trout, Miggy, Kimbrel, and Kemp, but everyone else I got through drafting, FA, or trades.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i doubt i would participate in a league where another manager's team was that stacked. christ.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
Does anyone have any experience with punting saves in a H2H league? I usually carry 3 closers but I'm having a hard time justifying that many roster spots in a 6x5 league with QS/ERA/WHIP/K/SV. I never pay for saves but it's more about starter flexibility, since we have 5 pickups/week limit and several guys love to stream.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I'm working on a thing...

5x5 steamer projections, scaled to the position, I'm not in love with the color scheme

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Abreu (3)
Kris Bryant (18)
Asdrubal Cabrea (ADP)
Jacoby (4)
Freddie Freeman (8)
Wil Myers (19)
George Springer (15)
Tulo (1)
Cueto (6)
Fister (8)
Sonny Gray (16)
Cole Hamels (9)
John Lester (ADP)
Noah Syndergaard (21)

I keep 9 (I also have Rios but he was at 5 because I am an idiot)

Assume everyone moves up a spot, 12 team league, R/HR/RBI/SB/OBP/SLG are stats.

Abreu, Bryant, Springer, Tulo, Cueto, Myers, Gray, Hamels, Syndergaard seem to be the big ones

I am thinking of trading Lester, and someone may give me Cutch for Tulo + minor, and every other day I'm wondering if this is the year Tulo is going to finally be completely dogshit.

Oh I also have d'Arnaud, but he's ADP too.

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 29, 2015

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

Spoeank posted:

I'm working on a thing...

5x5 steamer projections, scaled to the position, I'm not in love with the color scheme

I really dig this. Keep up the good work, I'd love to see some player comparisons in this format.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Yahoo Fantasy Baseball opens tomorrow! :snoop:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fantasy-roto-arcade/play-ball--yahoo-2015-fantasy-baseball-coming-your-way-192313636.html

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

JackssWastedLife posted:

I really dig this. Keep up the good work, I'd love to see some player comparisons in this format.

Just finished a bunch of catchers. My favorite observation so far is that Brian McCann is literally just a crappier Evan Gattis.

http://imgur.com/a/keNQu/all

Also Mike Zunino is so bad he shifted the scale on his diagram (and I worked too long today to figure out how to fix it)

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The rule and are far easier to eyeball than a bunch of numbers

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

good idea. how are you scaling them?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

These are great, but a quick correction: Joe Mauer does not have Catcher eligibility anymore.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Good call on that one. I was just going down the catcher stats on the Steamer projections.

The way I make them is I take all the catchers (so far) and sort by each category, then each player gets the decimal ratio they are to the #1 guy's stats. (So if Player A is projected for 100 RBI and to lead the position, and player B is projected for 19 RBI, he gets .19).

For average I deleted everyone projected to get 1 AB, then I found the position average for BA. I subtracted this number (I think it was .235) from the player's projected BA, then weighted this for number of AB by just multiplying it by the number of ABs. I'm not even sure if that's the correct way to do it because I'm not an aeronautical engineer.

For catchers it's really screwy because guys who are projected to get 6 SB look like absolute speedsters. It's not the most scientific thing but I'm a visual learner so it helps. It's not going to find replacement value either (since every player and league considers that at a different point).

Oddly enough my inspiration was finding one of the old Prima Pokemon guides at my Mom's house over Thanksgiving. They would have this for HP, Attack, Defense, Special & Speed.

If I have enough time once I'm through the positions I am going to try to redo it with everybody so you can compare across positions.

Glad you guys like them!

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 30, 2015

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I actually really like that you started with them just sorted by position because I think people sometimes over or undervalue players by comparing them to the whole instead of against positional value.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Yahoo is LIVE!

time to get mocking. :dance:

edit: does anyone know if Yahoo's PRO leagues open up later? or are they not doing them this year?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 31, 2015

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Yahoo is LIVE!

time to get mocking. :dance:

edit: does anyone know if Yahoo's PRO leagues open up later? or are they not doing them this year?

I've heard that PRO leagues aren't happening this year, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

New team name: A Case of the Shifts

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Senf posted:

I've heard that PRO leagues aren't happening this year, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Looks like they ARE doing PRO leagues, but they won't open until March.

https://twitter.com/YahooFantasy/status/561303634898456577

Yahoo Fantasy Sports posted:

@Cincy25 We will be doing baseball pro leagues in 2015 but not before March.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Senf posted:

I would totally change my name to A Case of the Runs if someone did that in my league

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

How Much Better 1B is Than Catcher, Exhibit A

(I should have 1B out tonight)

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
I just did a 10-team mock on Yahoo - R/HR/RBI/SB/AVG for hitters, W/SV/K/ERA/WHIP for pitchers.

Thoughts? A few gambles/reaches, perhaps, but I think I did pretty well.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Both of Detroit's Martinez's are going in the first round this year :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Screen Door Slams posted:

I just did a 10-team mock on Yahoo - R/HR/RBI/SB/AVG for hitters, W/SV/K/ERA/WHIP for pitchers.

Thoughts? A few gambles/reaches, perhaps, but I think I did pretty well.

Try to trade for a third baseman and consider starting Zobrist over Wong and I think you're looking pretty okay.

• Locked thread