Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm anticipating yet another terrible season for me this year. As far as my keepers go I either don't care for them or don't like the prices that I'll be keeping them for. The one thing I was really looking forward to was my $1 keeper Oscar Taveras :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Looking for some keeper help. I'm in a 12 team H2H points league where we can keep between 5 and 9 players for the same price they were drafted for last year, or $10 if they were picked up as a FA. Here are my potential keepers:

Adrian Gonzalez ($30)
George Springer ($13)
Gregory Polanco ($10)
Jon Singleton ($10)
Kolten Wong ($10)
Cole Hamels ($16)
Joe Kelly ($3)
Marcus Stroman ($10)
Anibal Sanchez ($16)
Wei-Yin Chen ($1)
Noah Syndergaard ($1)
Taijuan Walker ($4)

As much as I want to keep most of those $10 players I just can't justify spending that much for all of them. We get a $260 budget for the draft and I'll have $12 added to that from trades I made last year. As of right now I planning on keeping:

Gonzalez
Springer
Polanco
Hamels
Sanchez
Syndergaard
Walker

with Wong, Kelly, Stroman, and Singleton as maybes but probably not.

This would leave me with $182 to spend on the draft, which isn't as much as I'd like to have. My other option is making a trade or two before the draft, turning some more expensive players into cheaper ones. People are showing interest in Cole Hamels so I shouldn't have a problem trading him for a couple three cheap keepers. Best offer I've gotten so far is Hamels ($16) for Wily Peralta ($1), James Paxton ($1), and Jorge Soler ($10). I'm pretty sure I'd rather keep Hamels but I'm hoping I can get him to give up one of Kris Bryant ($10), Keven Gausman ($1), or Henderson Alvarez ($2) instead of Soler

Am I on the right line of thinking here or should I be looking to do something different?

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Schweinhund posted:

Your only must keep guys on that list are Hamels and Springer IMO. Can you post the rest of your team? The players you listed there do not make for a good team at all. Your highest ranked player is AGonz and he is a 4th rounder. Do you have anyone ranked higher and what is their price? And can you keep players indefinitely with no inflation?

Yeah, AGon is my highest ranked player. I'm phone posting so I'm not going to post the rest of my team, but everyone else I have are just filler players I picked up after having a trade deadline fire sale, and they're not even worth mentioning. I didn't think AGon had fallen off so much that he isn't worth $30 but I don't pay much attention to the NL so I'll take your word for it. I agree with you that my only must keep guys are Hamels and Springer, so I was considering seeing who I can trade for or just keep my cheapest guys with upside and use the extra auction money to draft around them. The worst thing is that I'm terrible at auction drafts and I really need to draft smart this year so I don't make the same mistake I did the last two years and screw myself over,

Usually we just keep players for one year at the same salary and then they become a free agent after, but we have the option to sign them to a contract for longer with $5/year inflation.

Thanks for the input!

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Keepers in my league were set a week ago. Yesterday me and a friend in the league were talking about how dumb it was that one of the guys kept Darvish for $40 and now this happens. Poor guy is probably going through the stages of grief right now.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Schweinhund posted:

Mattingly needs to start Alex Guerrero. Hate these stupid old school managers.

He was just dropped in my league. I feel like I should pick him up but I have absolutely no need for him. I guess I can try to flip him for some pitching where I really need help.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Is Guerrero worth starting next week if my league does weekly lineups? I'm looking to replace Matt Adams in my lineup and my gut is telling me that even if Guerrero is playing off the bench he'll do more with those opportunities than Adams will by starting most days. My only other option would be pick up someone to stick in the 1B slot, and the best available option appears to be Yonder Alonso.

E: After taking a quick look it looks like Alonso has been hitting well this year so I think I'll just pick him up, but I'll leave my little predicament here in case anyone wants to convince me that I'm doing this all wrong.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
What's going on with McCutchen, he's going to heat up right? I'm in talks about possibly acquiring him, he's asking for Harper and Hamels for Cutch and Miguel Castro. I feel like I shouldn't give up that much for how Cutch is hitting right now but I might be able to get him to take a different pitcher than Hamels. It's a H2H points league if that matters.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I wouldn't do that trade even if cutch was playing like he normally does.

I wouldn't do it either but he seemed willing to negotiate to a more fair deal. I offered him Springer, Papelbon, and Baez for Cutch and then he decided he didn't want to trade anymore, I think he just really wanted Harper. Harper is playing better right now anyway and he'll be cheaper to keep next year so I'm fine with not doing anything.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

I've managed to start Kipnis when he's gone 0/3 and 0/5 and sat him when he's gone deep and actually done productive things. :bravo:

Matt Adams had to wait till I benched him for the week before he could start being productive.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

bewbies posted:

Is Carlos Frias worth picking up this week as a 2 start pitcher?

Jose Valasquez posted:

He's only starting once this week :confused:

I'm having the same dilemma, Is he really only starting once this week? CBS is listing him as having two starts, which is why I picked him up, but if he's really just starting once this week I'll put one of my closers in that spot instead.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

weas posted:

The Dodgers' PPD game on Saturday screwed up their rotation so Frias is no longer a 2-start guy.

Ah ok thanks, didn't know their rotation got pushed back. Sure would have been nice if CBS updated that so I could have used the FAAB money on someone else.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I never expected Josh Collmenter to be amazing or anything, but I drafted him late for a little extra pitching depth hoping for league average or slightly above league average pitching that I could throw out there on his 2 start weeks. After his start last night he basically needs to throw a no hitter in his next start to make up the points I'm down by now.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
A Kimbrel for Lincecum trade happened in my league today. The person who traded Kimbrel away is an idiot who has a history of making dumb trades so the only thing that surprised the rest of us is that it took him this long to do something stupid.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Walker and Sanchez finally have good games when I put them on the bench, sounds about right.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

weas posted:

Anyone start Heston tonight? I didn't, but I figure some people streamed him.

The guy I'm playing against this week did. Heston outscored my entire team today :(.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I traded away George Springer and Anibal Sanchez just in time for Springer to hit two bombs and Sanchez to throw a 2 hit CGSO. I had good games out of Walker and Syndergaard which negated Rodon and Gio Gonzalez being terrible. I'm starting to think that every decision I make in fantasy baseball is wrong and I should start doing this George Costanza style and do the exact opposite of what my gut is telling me.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I ended up winning this week after being down so many points that I literally needed one of my pitchers to throw a no hitter to even have a chance of winning, and even then it was unlikely. God bless you Cole Hamels.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I need some trade advice. This is a H2H points keeper league with weekly rosters. I was just offered Lance Lynn, Cody Allen, and Adam Jones for Carlos Martinez and Kolten Wong. I haven't payed any attention to Lynn or Allen but after a quick look over it seems like an okay deal to me. Martinez and Wong are good keepers at $9 and $1 respectively, while Lynn and Allen aren't eligible to be kept, and Jones can be kept for $27 which I wouldn't do. I don't want to give up Martinez and Wong but I am in desperate need of pitching depth if I want to make the playoffs. Is this something I should consider? I was also thinking I might be able to offer Tulo ($28) instead of Wong and get a better pitcher in return (Chris Archer ($16) would be who I'd go after). If I made the trade I would be filling the hole Wong/Tulo left with Zobrist or Panik.

Usually I'm the one who's playing for next year, but this is the first time I've had a shot at the playoffs and I'm not used to looking at trades from this side of things.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

I hate Gio Gonzalez so loving much.

I'm probably still going to lose this week, but at least I made the right decision to bench Gio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I paid $20 for Gio in our draft and I'm definitely not keeping him at that price. Should have traded him when I had the chance.

• Locked thread