Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

G - Blanks
The powers granted by the Warp are as poisonous and dangerous as their origin, while they may grant temporary power, they will always lead to ruin and downfall, it is better to be protected by someone that actively opposes those powers than being tainted by them.
And perhaps Blanks are the way to calm the warp in the far future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

sheep-dodger posted:

G - Blanks
The powers granted by the Warp are as poisonous and dangerous as their origin, while they may grant temporary power, they will always lead to ruin and downfall, it is better to be protected by someone that actively opposes those powers than being tainted by them.
And perhaps Blanks are the way to calm the warp in the far future.

Blanks are something that is barely even known to the Inquisition. The Ordo Malleus keeps a very tight fist on that knowledgr.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Blanks are something that is barely even known to the Inquisition. The Ordo Malleus keeps a very tight fist on that knowledgr.

Their existence is suppressed that much? The (admittedly short) articles on the Lexicanum (both in English and German) don't mention that, only that they are incredibly rare (1 in 1 billion people rare).
If we have not heard of Blanks, then I'll vote for B - Divination

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You fools, divination is not reliable, reading minds IS!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol if you think minds are reliable

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sheep-dodger posted:

Their existence is suppressed that much? The (admittedly short) articles on the Lexicanum (both in English and German) don't mention that, only that they are incredibly rare (1 in 1 billion people rare).
If we have not heard of Blanks, then I'll vote for B - Divination

It's the kind of thing that you'll probably have heard of if you studied the subject long enough. The Assignment does go both positive and negative in terms of psychic ability.

Divination is an inherently imprecise field that depends on both the magnitude of what you're seeking as well as the timescale. Think about it in terms of predicting the motion of a starship. Within a narrow enough timescale you can know where both a snub fighter and a battleship will be, but as the time of prediction increases your level of uncertainty scales with the inertia of the object. The longer the time scale, and the smaller the inertia of what's being examined, the less precise the prediction.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
Imagine four Orks on the edge of a cliff.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Orks? Where? Are they just boyz? Kommandoes? Nobz? Throne! A fall off a cliff might not even kill them. Call for artillery.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
B. It may be unreliable, and boring in ttrpgs (until Jedi level), but a good nose for how things will fall out is by far the best advantage for a merchant. People can be bullied, bought, or charmed. Getting there with the right stuff, first, means victory.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
If you pick Divination you can try narrating events backwards.
OTOH, all your divinations are likely to be hugely slanted because Chaos

(still want Rogue Trader Freeze)
Theosophy is probably what is needed before the other ones are reliable.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Librarium, Machina Scientia

“The Emperor has no favorite, why should I?”

+++ Because you’re not the Emperor? +++

You smirk. “Do you have a favorite mechadendrite? Is there a particular appendage of yours that you favor over all the others?”

+++ I use the omni-grasper approximately 26.7% more than my other tools. Are not humans generally dominant in one hand or the other? +++

“This is true. In the context of utility, I would argue that Diviniation is the most appealing of the disciplines.”

You suddenly feel a sharp pain on your shoulder. You turn rapidly to see Crispy floating away, having pinched you moments before.

+++ I suppose that proves you’re not psychic then, otherwise you would have seen that coming. I told you the omni-grasper was useful. +++

You rub your shoulder but laugh all the same. “I never said I was, just compelled to find something within these texts.”

+++ Have you found it? +++

“Not yet.”

+++ Do you even know what you’re looking for? +++

“Not yet.”

+++ You know, if you were a cogitator that sort of response would justify a reset. +++

“If you weren’t so damned useful that reply would justify a melta blast to the skull.”

+++ I suppose we’ll both have to appreciate the small things that keep us from certain doom. +++

You nod and resume reading out loud. You don’t know why, but it seems to help you absorb the dense subject matter. “The phenomena of ‘Warp Pressure’ is well known. The most common association is during Warp travel, most notably in areas of significant turbulence. In fluid mechanics terms this is similar to the variation between dynamic and static pressure.”

You pause. “Fluid mechanics?”

+++ Mechanicus primer, remember? It’s assumed the reader has a neophyte level understanding of basic physics and physical phenomena. Dynamic pressure is the force a moving fluid exerts on objects it flows around, static pressure is the force exerted by a fluid that isn’t moving and is typically a function of its mass bearing down on you. For example how pressure increases when you go deeper underwater. +++

You continue reading. “Although primarily of use to Gellar Field development, Warp pressure is also theorized to affect psychic abilities. The greater the pressure, the easier it is for a psyker to breach the barrier between Warp and realspace. Areas of sufficient pressure can induce Warp rifts. The nature of this pressure is largely unknown, but static Warp pressure is hypothesized as a function of the concentration of energy in a given volume of Warp space and time. Even less is known of dynamic Warp pressure, save apocryphal theories alluding to the movement of daemons and other inhabitants of the Immaterium.” You pause at the last words.

+++ What? +++

“The Magos mentioned that the Gellar Field was nearing overload, right?”

+++ Yes. Currently loading ranges from 105% to spikes of 128% of nominal maximum design pressure. Still well within the factor of safety. +++

“Then I think I’ve found what I was looking for. Tell me, are the pressure spikes over the entirety of the ship or in localized regions?”

+++ Localized regions. As you may now a Gellar Field is not a single monolithic shield, but instead a bulkward of overlapping fields intended to provide redundancy. +++

“We’re being probed. Something is preparing to attack us.”

+++ Prosper it’s the Warp. Something is always trying to kill us. +++

“This is different. There’s an intelligence here. Has any field been subjected to a pressure spike more than once?”

+++ No, but there are thousands of them. Prosper the book itself said the source of dynamic pressure was unknown. We could just be in a deep region of the Immaterium and those pressure spikes are random currents. You’re taking the remotest of theories and speaking of it as if it were gospel truth. +++

“Call it intuition then. Are servo skulls even capable of it?”

+++ I know of intuition Prosper, just as I know of faith and even love. +++

“How?”

Crispy begins to respond, then suddenly freezes in mid-air. Every mechadendrite is still, he even stops bobbing up and down. You look at him curiously before turning in shock as the book you were reading slams downward into the vaults with the slam of metal contacting metal and a breeze of displaced air. The murder-servitors activate at once, eyes turning red but otherwise staying still. Behind you the vault door begins to close, threatening to lock you in should you not move quickly.

+++ Prosper, I will explain more if we survive this. +++

You look at Crispy. “Survive what?”

+++ Your intuition is correct. Gellar field 215-Alpha was just overloaded. There’s been an intrusion.”

Your blood freezes even with the augmented environmental controls of your carapace armor. Instinctively you check your weapons, grateful that your station permits you to carry the pistols and power sword. Crispy hadn’t been joking before when he said the Warp was always trying to kill you. The denizens of the Warp were beings of pure malice and malevolence, intent on torturing and consuming the souls of men. An intrusion meant only one thing.

Death itself walked the decks of the ship.

The adamantine doors move slowly, but you know time is of the essence. The Librarium itself was possibly the safest part of the ship, armored on all sides and protected by murder servitors that would sacrifice themselves without hesitation to save the knowledge contained within the hallowed vaults. If you sheltered in place whatever had passed through would have to go through an entire legion of servitors and meters of ultra-grade ceramite and adamantium, but you would also be trapped until someone permitted you egress. The alternative was to leave immediately.

A. Stay.
B. Go.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Well something's probably going to attack us in the library, so we may as well Go out and be a badass

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Luck favors the Bold, and no Rogue Trader ever got rich by cowering in libraries when there is danger afoot!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

"Come, my floating minion, we must Go"

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Exit Conversation: "I should go"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There are important rules on warp-vessels, and one of the big ones is that everyone fights when there's a breach. Go.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Stay here, in the defence of this valuable knowledge, and behind the nice think walls. It might be coming for us after all (ego++), and it could have weapons that will take more valuable things than our arm (paranoia++).

Besides, our people know we're here, it would be a shame if they died fighting their way to the librarium and we were off getting lost in the halls.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Stay and learn Maglev Grace

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How does that line from Glengary Glenross go? "ABG, always Be going."

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
If I go there will be trouble.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

B

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
B :ohdear:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
YOU SHOULD GO B

Zahrkon
Apr 2, 2010
B for the B god

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
WAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!

*cough*

Just something I think I heard once from a passing Astartes.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
B.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Go, go, go! This is a time to be heroic and take credit.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Deadmeat5150 posted:

WAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Also calling it now Rast is a space marine reject, went through training and all but didn't get the holy cum implants

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I regret that I have but one arm to give to the Omnissiah! Go find Rast. And use him as a shield.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Also calling it now Rast is a space marine reject, went through training and all but didn't get the holy cum implants

If so it's strange to find him here. Those guys are usually dead, mind wiped, or Chapter Functionaries.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
B!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Deadmeat5150 posted:

If so it's strange to find him here. Those guys are usually dead, mind wiped, or Chapter Functionaries.

The weirdest, most exceptional people become officers for a Rogue Trader dynasty. He's an Arch-Militant, which means that whatever his backstory he's one of the baddest badasses in space.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's pretty obvious which way this vote is going by now. I mean, I don't disagree with the decision because all those things that got mentioned in the library's favor...thick walls, murderbots, etc...don't mean poo poo to things like daemons, and it's better to have the capacity to run the gently caress away rather than being stuck in an enclosed space with no way out until the gateway to space hell shuts down. Like, if this place had sanctified wards or something that would be a different story, but ceramite and adamantine? In the middle of the Warp itself? Yeah right, time to get the gently caress out. It won't necessarily improve our chances of survival by much, but even a few percentage points is something. If we somehow wind up accomplishing something heroic that's a happy accident.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

C - all of the above

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
D: Ride a murder servitor out the door and use it as a personal mount.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

A Stay, you fools! We've already lost an arm when making stupid decisions, do we want to die this time?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
B. Let's go demon-hunting. TROPHIES FOR THE TROPHY GOD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
B

Go but we should force Crispy to come with us to broadcast Imperial Hymns and as a warning device if we come under attack. The hymns might weaken the daemons that come at us but more importantly, provide us with an awesome soundtrack to kick rear end with.

• Locked thread