Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Most amusing challenge streak to me was Gabon, where a 50+ year old man with a bowtie continually got challenge wins, only to be beat in the final immunity by a 53-year old woman at a card-tower building challenge. He then avoided being eliminated because a 21-year old woman felt sympathy and so forced a firemaking tie.

He then still narrowly won 4-3 over said 53-year old woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

CBS all access is blocked in my country (Korea). Is there any other way to see early seasons?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

:filez:

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Seasons 3 and 12-24 are available on Amazon Prime, and 9-11 and 25-30 are available for purchase, it seems. Not sure if that's how it is on the Korean version of the site.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

dantheman650 posted:

CBS all access is blocked in my country (Korea). Is there any other way to see early seasons?

Get hola unblocker or any other VPN

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Narcissus1916 posted:

I just think that, like most winners, there's a lot of luck involved.

There definitely is. Hell it takes luck not to be that person who says one word that rubs someone wrong, and become the first boot because of it.

Then there's stuff like hidden immunity idols... it's a crap shoot to be seen looking for it, it's a crap shoot to tell someone you have it. Plus everyone who doesn't get one is essentially unlucky.

Then there's the challenges where you don't really even know what you're playing until you get there so you'd better be a fast learner if it's something like firing a ball from a giant sling.

Anyone who thinks they're going to win by anticipating everything will probably get their butt kicked.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
Season 31 premieres on 9/23!

https://twitter.com/DaltonRoss/status/608336005935079425

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

JakeP posted:

Get hola unblocker or any other VPN

Hola is pretty much malware now so don't use it.

http://www.dailydot.com/technology/hola-vpn-security/?tw=dd

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

ApplesandOranges posted:

Most amusing challenge streak to me was Gabon, where a 50+ year old man with a bowtie continually got challenge wins, only to be beat in the final immunity by a 53-year old woman at a card-tower building challenge. He then avoided being eliminated because a 21-year old woman felt sympathy and so forced a firemaking tie.

He then still narrowly won 4-3 over said 53-year old woman.

Nothing about Gabon makes any sense. It's like an elaborate, surrealist parody of Survivor. The strategic kingpin of the season is a weepy pinup model that practically everyone hates. The ultimate hero of the season is a dorky old man who stumbles to the end through no effort of his own. It is really unsatisfying from a strategy perspective, but it's one of the funniest Survivor seasons ever.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Spatula City posted:

Nothing about Gabon makes any sense. It's like an elaborate, surrealist parody of Survivor. The strategic kingpin of the season is a weepy pinup model that practically everyone hates. The ultimate hero of the season is a dorky old man who stumbles to the end through no effort of his own. It is really unsatisfying from a strategy perspective, but it's one of the funniest Survivor seasons ever.

You forgot the best bit:- Olympic athlete is completely inept in every single challenge.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
MY FACE! I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO GET PINEAPPLE ON IT!!

Man, if I had all the free time in the world, it's weird that Gabon would be one of three seasons I have the desire to watch again. (Season 1 and Tocantins being the other)

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
Bob would never play again because of his age I assume but geniuely I think he would make a good push to the end because he's just so drat adorable.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I want to see a season filled with only first booters. Good season or best season?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i'd never want to see that ever.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
People are the first boots because they're annoying or horribly inept at challenges.

I'll get my Second Chances need from the next season.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Met posted:

People are the first boots because they're annoying or horribly inept at challenges.

Yeah, I was mostly kidding but I'm curious how many of them could have real talent and were just booted for petty reasons or bad luck.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

EngineerJoe posted:

Yeah, I was mostly kidding but I'm curious how many of them could have real talent and were just booted for petty reasons or bad luck.

That's my point really. You'll have over a dozen terrible people and one or two who are just hidden gems. That doesn't make a great season.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

EngineerJoe posted:

I want to see a season filled with only first booters. Good season or best season?

Put Francesqua on both tribes.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

cock hero flux posted:

Put Francesqua on both tribes.

In a new twist, Jeff calls both tribes to tribal council after the first immunity challenge and they both vote off Francesqua.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006

EngineerJoe posted:

In a new twist, Jeff calls both tribes to the first immunity challenge where they attempt to spell Francesqua.

Fixed

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

EngineerJoe posted:

I support this, as it is the only kind of season Zane Knight could win. best first boot ever.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

EngineerJoe posted:

I think all we're just a "they should a cold weather Survivor" away from off season bingo and we've still got months to go.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

No idea if the season will work, but the idea of "Only Second Chancers" is a really smart one. It doesn't force them into a strict All-Star season packed full of the "Big" survivor names, but it still has the excitement of people determined not to get boned a second time.

Then again, good themes only occasionally translate into good seasons...

nerox
May 20, 2001

elgarbo posted:

You forgot the best bit:- Olympic athlete is completely inept in every single challenge.

To be fair, she wasn't taking steroids on survivor like she was in the Olympics.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Spatula City posted:

I support this, as it is the only kind of season Zane Knight could win. best first boot ever.

What you don't know is secretly she would have been ten times better than Parvati.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

BGrifter posted:

What you don't know is secretly she would have been ten times better than Parvati.

That was such bullshit

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

blue squares posted:

That was such bullshit

It really was but there was no way she wasn't a first boot anyway.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Bjay9 posted:

It really was but there was no way she wasn't a first boot anyway.

Yeah. When people talk about how unfair that twist was, it bothers me, because I don't think either of those people would have gone far. Wanda would have been the first boot, and Jonathan would probably be an early boot as well.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

GuavaMoment posted:

MY FACE! I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO GET PINEAPPLE ON IT!!

Man, if I had all the free time in the world, it's weird that Gabon would be one of three seasons I have the desire to watch again. (Season 1 and Tocantins being the other)

Never not Tocantins.

May the power of spiders compel you!

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

SweetJahasus posted:

Never not Tocantins.

May the power of spiders compel you!

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spatula City posted:

Yeah. When people talk about how unfair that twist was, it bothers me, because I don't think either of those people would have gone far. Wanda would have been the first boot, and Jonathan would probably be an early boot as well.
It was bullshit because it was done by schoolyard pick but if I remember right, they took that boat on into the island and then spent the first day all together with no tribes or anything. They'd all done the meet and greet and made pals and built a shelter and that sort of first day stuff. And then did the pick. So it wasn't right when they hit the beach and it was kind of like who do you guys wanna make the first boots

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 11, 2015

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

It was bullshit because it was done by schoolyard pick but if I remember right, they took that boat on into the island and then spent the first day all together with no tribes or anything. They'd all done the met and made pals and built a shelter and that sort of first day stuff. And then did the pick. So it wasn't right when they hit the beach and it was kind of like who do you guys wanna make the first boots

But both of them didn't get picked for the exact reasons that people who go home first do. Wanda was the oldest woman at there with a very poor social game and would have been a burden in challenges. Jonathan overplayed the game from the very beginning by trying to buddy buddy and cut deals with EVERYBODY. The season didn't lack because of them.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just watched the very first episode last night. What a trip - it's hardly the same show. There's unconfident Jeff stumbling over his lines, boom mics in the shot, completely horrible audio with waves crashing over the dialog, a laughably lame challenge, and people just voting for whoever they felt like without even really talking to each other. I think somehow the strangest part was tribal council. Jeff didn't ask anyone direct questions, instead asking the entire group and letting them all talk over each other. He didn't ask anything about who might vote for who, instead only asking about how life at the beach was. It was really interesting to watch!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Bjay9 posted:

But both of them didn't get picked for the exact reasons that people who go home first do. Wanda was the oldest woman at there with a very poor social game and would have been a burden in challenges. Jonathan overplayed the game from the very beginning by trying to buddy buddy and cut deals with EVERYBODY. The season didn't lack because of them.
Yeah I wasn't really disagreeing with that. I was saying that they had time to get to know one another (they didn't do the schoolyard pick right when they hit the beach) and that it was basically just choosing the first boots a bit early, like you say, although a pick is a somewhat different mechanism than a vote.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hey guys, they should do Survivor in Alaska during the winter so it would be cold and poo poo and all the women would stay properly dressed.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

elgarbo posted:

Someone needs to montage this poo poo on Youtube. The slam dunk fail killed me when I first saw it.

There are so many survivor montage/compilations that I'd like to see. Please link them if you are aware of any. What comes to mind

- Coach Quotes
- Philip Quotes
- Parchment Misspellings
- Brandon Moments
- Will challenge fails
- A Wipeout/Big Balls style compilation of challenge hits/falls/fails

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm watching season one of Survivor, and its remarkable how Richard Hatch is literally the only person realizing he's playing "Survivor". Including Jeff Probst.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm watching season one of Survivor, and its remarkable how Richard Hatch is literally the only person realizing he's playing "Survivor". Including Jeff Probst.

I think Sue had a reasonable grasp on the game too.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm also rewatching season 1. Gervase doubting that there is an alliance on day 30 when there have literally been 4 vote blocks each trial is nuts.

I forgot how good rich was at spear fishing, but he gets a bit whiney about it after votes are cast against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I get the seasons mixed up after so much time, and sometimes they are just numbered instead of named. Is Gabon the first one with coach and also the worst athlete ever to athlete? And what number is that? It's also confusing that some are on Hulu and some are on Amazon. That's actually one I might go back and watch again.

And I have to agree that there is always a good deal of luck involved. Even the ability to make a "big move" or do something that looks smart can really hinge on luck as well. You can read people like a champ, but if they're just plain stupid or unreliable people, there can be little choice.

And watching season one again was pretty hilarious after so long. It's like "survivor but in some dudes' backyard with a $300 budget". It's also still fascinating to me how the game has changed over the years and really does run in a lot of cycles. Strength vs. paranoia. Etc.

And I did not realize that next season will be the oldest cast ever, and that makes me excited. I dunno why.. Probably cuz I'm relatively old :laffo:

• Locked thread