Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Thailand was awesome. Robb Z was incredibly entertaining. Lame Vanilla Ice wannabe brought a freaking skateboard to a beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I found the grind thing way more awkward than actually funny. Did not enjoy it or that season very much.

And Jeff giving Brandon the massage to try to keep him under control definitely is an eternally funny image but I would have preferred if Brandon was never on that season.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I never found the Brandon scene funny, just really creepy that he had to physically restrain this insane person without him realizing he was doing it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

In the moment I hated it, because I was thinking, why did they cast this clearly dangerously unstable person? That's not why I want to watch Survivor.

But this image is glorious:

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
hantzes gonna hantz

e: good lord that ridiculous tiger tattoo

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

Fast Luck posted:

I found the grind thing way more awkward than actually funny. Did not enjoy it or that season very much.

I'm with you on all counts. Thailand remains one of the worst seasons.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Thailand had the best final immunity ever and one of the best winners in the first fifteen or so seasons. It's pretty far from being one of the worst seasons.

Hell, someone got choke slammed during a competition!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Sometimes I think people kind of mythologize Brian. Yeah he was the Ice Man and all that, but the guy only won 4-3, and that was against Clay Jordan, not exactly the most intimidating opponent. And on top of that, Clay lost a vote because Helen told Ted that Clay was racist. Regardless, the season was the typical post-merge Pagonging and none of the players after the merge were particularly likable.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Brian unquestionably deserved to win that season, but he is still one of the least likable people to win the game. The only person in the final 4 that was even remotely tolerable was Helen, but she didn't deserve to win. Everyone on Thailand seemed so openly hostile. The only noteworthy part of that season was Shii Ann's boot. There are very few seasons where I end up not even caring who wins and Thailand was one of them.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
This is going back 10 years (almost to the day) but here's what Jeff had to say about Thailand:

Survivor Thailand: “this final four of Brian, Clay, Helen, and Jan was the least likable final four ever.”

Ran across another updated list and he still had Thailand on the bottom.

"19. Thailand (Season 5)
Winner: Brian Heidik

Some things never change. I didn’t like it then, I don’t like it now, and you’ll notice nobody from this season was invited back for Heroes vs. Villains. "

He really hates that season. Wonder if that's still the case now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Thailand's terrible. Micronesia is great. I'm actually rewatching that right now too and its holding up amazingly well. The Fans are largely duds and the fact that two of them quit is lame as hell but its a great cast of Favorites. Even the ones who didn't seem great at first glance like Ami and Eliza really play the game hard and make things interesting. Ami, Eliza, Penner, James, Ozzy, Parv, Amanda, Cirie, Yau, Fairplay (ugh). That really is a great group of gameplayers and characters.

I just rewatched China and while I enjoyed a lot of it I tuned out once ------James----- was eliminated since its all kind of academic from there.

Fast Luck posted:

Sometimes I think people kind of mythologize Brian. Yeah he was the Ice Man and all that, but the guy only won 4-3, and that was against Clay Jordan, not exactly the most intimidating opponent. And on top of that, Clay lost a vote because Helen told Ted that Clay was racist. Regardless, the season was the typical post-merge Pagonging and none of the players after the merge were particularly likable.

Yeah, I never thought Brian was as amazing as people say. He was good, don't get me wrong. The fact that he's slimy as anything and completely unfun to watch doesn't keep me from admitting that he was really, really good at the game. But there wasn't a single other person in that season playing anything resembling a good game and he still only barely beat a massive goat. I mean Shi Ann is the only person remembered from that season for not being a psycho, rear end in a top hat, clown, or possible sexual predator. Dude won with the hand he was dealt and I'm not going to take away from that, but its not nearly as impressive when you look at it in the context of all the seasons and winners.

Like, Kim played his game better, more decisively, and without making my skin crawl.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 14, 2015

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
My wanna fix that spoiler tag, just sayin' (it's [spoiler]).

And yeah, China was a fun season, too. I don't think I've seen Micronesia all the way through; I recall the early game and the end, but nothing of the middle. I should check that out sometime.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Thailand's terrible. Micronesia is great. I'm actually rewatching that right now too and its holding up amazingly well. The Fans are largely duds and the fact that two of them quit is lame as hell but its a great cast of Favorites. Even the ones who didn't seem great at first glance like Ami and Eliza really play the game hard and make things interesting. Ami, Eliza, Penner, James, Ozzy, Parv, Amanda, Cirie, Yau, Fairplay (ugh). That really is a great group of gameplayers and characters.

The Fans are great! Jason "Ozzy isn't the only god like competitor on this island" Siska, Natalie "my question is: i'm a huge lesbo" Bolton, Ice Cream Scooper, that brute that tried to murder Chet, Chet's poopy shorts, Alexis' bitchface. There was a lot to love about the fans!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Has anyone been listening to "The Evolution of Strategy" podcast series on RHAP? I'm almost done with Borneo and I found it really interesting look back at the series. Are any of the other seasons worth getting? I'm tempted just to spend the $20 and get the whole first season.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SalTheBard posted:

Has anyone been listening to "The Evolution of Strategy" podcast series on RHAP? I'm almost done with Borneo and I found it really interesting look back at the series. Are any of the other seasons worth getting? I'm tempted just to spend the $20 and get the whole first season.

I'm just about up to the end of Africa and there are so many seasons/players/,moments I can't wait for them to cover. It's a really great series and now I want to go and rewatch 29 seasons of Survivor :(

Capt. Supermarket
Sep 30, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Even the ones who didn't seem great at first glance like Ami and Eliza really play the game hard and make things interesting.

Do you mean they didn't seem great as casting choices or didn't seem that great when Micronesia first started. I can't fathom how one could question casting Ami whether you loved her or hated her.

I commented on The Evolution of Strategy earlier in the threat but I'll say again that I think it's great, and there are really no duds even if the season itself sucks. I'm one of the Thailand haters, but I think the Thailand chapter is probably the funniest out of the first 8 that I've listened to. Rob and Wiggler are really fantastic; Wiggler is hilarious, insightful, and isn't afraid to confront Rob on either his opinions or on his actual gameplay when it comes to the Amazon and All-Stars chapters.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Do they sort of do episode by episode play-by-plays? Or is it better than that?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Fast Luck posted:

I can't speak for the later "chapters" but Borneo is 4 parts Part 1 is the genesis of the show and the premier, Part 2 is episode 2 to the merge, Part 3 is the pagoning and part 4 is the Finale and reunion show. They go episode by episode but they paint in broad strokes and don't really go into "Survivor Know It All" levels of episode details. The Borneo series is roughly 6 hours long so it's a great listen for a long car ride.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

edit: asdf

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 14, 2015

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

If you liked the Borneo chapter, I don't see why you wouldn't like the following ones! I ended up buying that first volume for my commute, and I've really been enjoying it.

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah, as SalTheBard said, each part is a chunk of a few episodes, and they kind of just cover whatever they want to out of those. But it's not like a dry play-by-play, by any means. The whole first chapter is up for free, so you can check that out if you're curious!

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

also asdf

DaisyDanger fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 14, 2015

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

SalTheBard posted:

The Amazon one is pretty great (and like 15 hours long) since Rob has all sorts of behind the scenes stuff and explanations of what was really going on.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Piell posted:

The Amazon one is pretty great (and like 15 hours long) since Rob has all sorts of behind the scenes stuff and explanations of what was really going on.

I'm really amped to get to that one. I'm sure All-Stars has some similar behind the scenes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Capt. Supermarket posted:

Do you mean they didn't seem great as casting choices or didn't seem that great when Micronesia first started. I can't fathom how one could question casting Ami whether you loved her or hated her.

The later? I don't know. I just meant Ami didnt strike me as a great returnee when I started the season even on my second watch (Parv seemed lame at first since she sucked in her first season but ruled in subsequent seasons). And Ami is vaguely invisible in Micronesia early on. But she suddenly starts playing hard and I remembered that she was a pretty hard gamer in Vanatua. Same with Eliza. I just kind of remembered her being bratty at first but as the season goes on I remember that's she's kind of a tenacious scrambler that keeps things interesting. And it's fun to see her be bratty to people.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I just watched all of Juan del Sur in the last two days. I didn't watch as it was airing because I wanted to wait to be sure the Twinnies were voted out before I started, then just kind of forgot about it. I got spoiled on who won and was utterly dreading having to watch this thing. Wanting to get it done before the next season started, and having some time, I just said "gently caress it, let's get this done".

I can't believe I both wanted Natalie to win, and thought she most deserved it. Uuuuuuuggghhhhhhh. Once Jeremy was gone, Natalie was legit the best player left. Good God, what an awful season. Not Nicaragua bad, but blechh.

Hopefully this one will be a good season and I get to keep up with the thread!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

GuavaMoment posted:

I just watched all of Juan del Sur in the last two days. I didn't watch as it was airing because I wanted to wait to be sure the Twinnies were voted out before I started, then just kind of forgot about it. I got spoiled on who won and was utterly dreading having to watch this thing. Wanting to get it done before the next season started, and having some time, I just said "gently caress it, let's get this done".

I can't believe I both wanted Natalie to win, and thought she most deserved it. Uuuuuuuggghhhhhhh. Once Jeremy was gone, Natalie was legit the best player left. Good God, what an awful season. Not Nicaragua bad, but blechh.

Hopefully this one will be a good season and I get to keep up with the thread!

Yeah it was a poo poo season, I gave up on it sometime around the merge. Only other time I've stopped watching a season part way through was one world.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah it was a poo poo season, I gave up on it sometime around the merge. Only other time I've stopped watching a season part way through was one world.

You quit when it got interesting?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The only exciting thing in SJDR pre-merge was Drew's boot but the final run of episodes were ace. Natalie's play was really exciting to watch (the Baylor blindside was genius) and went a long way to redeem the season in my view.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Having a respectable winner helped get it out of the absolute basement, but didn't lift SJDS much higher. It's pretty firmly in the second to worst slot ahead of Nicaragua but behind One World.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I can't wait for Baylor to come back in S32~

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Met posted:

You quit when it got interesting?

I'm pretty sure I saw the merge episode, and maybe the one after. I was bored by then though, and I didn't give a poo poo about anyone in the game - usually I have someone I can root for. I was beginning to not be bothered watching the episode on the day it aired, I stopped bothering with podcasts, and recaps and survivor related internet poo poo.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Last season was fun, as long as you ignored the gameplay and focused solely on Jeff Probst realizing how terrible their casting choices were. The man HATED them by the time the finale rolled around.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

BGrifter posted:

Having a respectable winner helped get it out of the absolute basement, but didn't lift SJDS much higher. It's pretty firmly in the second to worst slot ahead of Nicaragua but behind One World.

Wait so you're saying that Kim didn't deserve to win One World? I think everyone can agree that she was the only deserving winner by a long shot. The season was definitely pretty boring though. And I have to say that Fabio was probably the most deserving in Nicaragua too because Chase and Sash were shitbags. Maybe you could argue Holly was deserving too I guess. . I guess my point is that the winner doesn't necessarily make the season good/bad but more just the entertainment of the season. That's why Cagauyan or however you spell it was great.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SweetJahasus posted:

Wait so you're saying that Kim didn't deserve to win One World? I think everyone can agree that she was the only deserving winner by a long shot. The season was definitely pretty boring though. And I have to say that Fabio was probably the most deserving in Nicaragua too because Chase and Sash were shitbags. Maybe you could argue Holly was deserving too I guess. . I guess my point is that the winner doesn't necessarily make the season good/bad but more just the entertainment of the season. That's why Cagauyan or however you spell it was great.

Not at all, I'm saying she was a better winner than Natalie. Kim is a criminally underrated winner who suffers for low strength of opposition, something completely out of her control. One World is better than SJDS, only Nicaragua was worse than SJDS.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Not at all, I'm saying she was a better winner than Natalie. Kim is a criminally underrated winner who suffers for low strength of opposition, something completely out of her control. One World is better than SJDS, only Nicaragua was worse than SJDS.

Nah Nicaragua is better than SJDS or One World. I'd place SJDS as overall worst.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I would rewatch every bad season of Survivor again if it meant I could scrub Redemption Island from my memory forever, but I just hate Boston Rob so much.

In other news, Propaganda Machine is starting Awful Survivor: You Look Like poo poo soon and we're looking for new players! Survivor fans tend to do really well in Awful Survivor, so maybe some of you would like to give it a try. :v:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

I really need to watch this season this year.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Where is it?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

DaisyDanger posted:

I would rewatch every bad season of Survivor again if it meant I could scrub Redemption Island from my memory forever, but I just hate Boston Rob so much.

In other news, Propaganda Machine is starting Awful Survivor: You Look Like poo poo soon and we're looking for new players! Survivor fans tend to do really well in Awful Survivor, so maybe some of you would like to give it a try. :v:

I don't hate Boston Rob at all, but the ladies he brought with him were god awful. How can that many people be THAT much of a goat. Natalie and Ashley were actively TRYING to get fourth and third place rather than first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

How else were the producers going to get Boston Rob or Russell a win?

Though I doubt even the producers could rig the game enough for Russell to win.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 18, 2015

• Locked thread