Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DoggPickle posted:

I get the seasons mixed up after so much time, and sometimes they are just numbered instead of named. Is Gabon the first one with coach and also the worst athlete ever to athlete?

No, the first one with Coach was Tocantins., S18.

Gabon is S17, and the one that this gif comes from:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

I always wonder in that shot if Mattie (was that his name?) knew exactly where the camera was to do that, or if it really was a natural thing. It's such a perfect shot.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

DoggPickle posted:

I get the seasons mixed up after so much time, and sometimes they are just numbered instead of named. Is Gabon the first one with coach and also the worst athlete ever to athlete? And what number is that? It's also confusing that some are on Hulu and some are on Amazon. That's actually one I might go back and watch again.

Coach was the season afterwards but you are correct that Gabon was the one with the worst athlete ever to athlete

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

thexerox123 posted:

No, the first one with Coach was Tocantins., S18.

Gabon is S17, and the one that this gif comes from:

Worth an entire season of watching :laffo:
I also think I wouldn't mind re-watching Coach be the natural insane person he was in his first season vs. the META insane person that he became afterward.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I miss Jeff kicking people off a boat and them having to scramble for supplies. I also miss Adventure Jeff.... the one perma-disappointment of modern seasons :(

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Factor Mystic posted:

I miss Jeff kicking people off a boat and them having to scramble for supplies. I also miss Adventure Jeff.... the one perma-disappointment of modern seasons :(

Minor spoilers for season 31 from a Jeff interview....
You're in luck for the first part, Jeff said in his on-site EW interview that for the beginning of S31 they were going to do the boat/scramble thing again.

I wouldn't hold out hope for Indiana Jeff though

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I feel so sorry for the season 32 contestants... I think their season was already filmed in the spring, which means they have a looooong wait until finale night.

Also, hopefully it isn't a cursed location:

quote:

“Survivor” is not the first reality TV show to decide that Koh Rong’s white sand beaches and jungle make an ideal backdrop. In 2013, French “Survivor”-style series “Koh-Lanta” canceled filming on the island when 25-year-old contestant Gerald Babin died of a heart attack while taking part in a challenge during episode one.

Less than a week later, the show’s 38-year-old doctor, Thierry Costa, committed suicide on Koh Rong. In a handwritten note left in his hotel room, he said accusations in the media that he had not done enough to resuscitate the Frenchman had led him to take his own life.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So then Survivor was infact the first TV show to use that beach afterall?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That would be funny if the quote didn't say "Survivor is not the first reality show to decide to film on the beach"

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Thanks a lot fellow addicts. I am now watching Gabon again for the first time since it aired. Thanks for letting me know that the missing seasons were on Amazon. I actually remember a lot more of these people than I thought, once I'm actually seeing them on screen. Sugar might have gotten a bit harsh of a rap over the years, but watching her talk to herself for hours and nearly going crazy and actually finding the exile idol , she's actually quite a cute and funny person. I'm only on episode two though, so no spoilers since I can't really remember this season that well.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Despite exile sland not being an island, I think that concept of exile is one of my favorites. Gabon may be one of the last seasons where the tribes have lots of room to roam and explore. For WA, the white collar beach was within a mile of luxury homes. The blue collar beach is within a mile of ponderosa.

I'm sure most of this makes production cheaper so that's why we get seasons still.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

DoggPickle posted:

Sugar might have gotten a bit harsh of a rap over the years, but watching her talk to herself for hours and nearly going crazy and actually finding the exile idol , she's actually quite a cute and funny person.

Also she was in an episode of Gilmore Girls, so she's tied with Penner (who was in an ep of Arrested Development) for "can do no wrong" status for me.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Is Gabon the one where one of the guys basically took the canoe and disappeared for a day or something?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Yup Golden Child ran off and didn't appear again until right before immunity.

I still like Crystal Cox's storyline best from that season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
We're officially in Cambodia's pre-season.

New thread here

• Locked thread