Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

SalTheBard posted:

Has anyone been listening to "The Evolution of Strategy" podcast series on RHAP? I'm almost done with Borneo and I found it really interesting look back at the series. Are any of the other seasons worth getting? I'm tempted just to spend the $20 and get the whole first season.

The Amazon one is pretty great (and like 15 hours long) since Rob has all sorts of behind the scenes stuff and explanations of what was really going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
He was definitely trying to play the game (his RHAP exit interview mentioned him coming up with a story that Nina had an idol to get the Jenn/Hali/Joe group to split their vote), he was just too paranoid and obsessive to stick.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Fenris13 posted:

After reading some of his exit interview stuff, my opinion on him has flipped, he was getting a golden edit compared to how terrible it sounds like he really was out there. But my main point still stands, with him gone this week that tribe is going to be really loving boring going forward, and the blue collar tribe already bores the poo poo out of me. A bad week for the white collars, and this seasons will be well on its way to most boring season in a long time, baring some odd tribal swap magic.

Look how dumb you are. This cast is one of the better ones they've had.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Solitary was a crazy show because the concept was literally "how much can we torture people if we give them a chance for $50,000" and the answer is "an incredible amount".

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Also Carolyn was really distrusting of Max - note her telling Tyler and Joaq that he's like a cult leader and needed to be gotten out.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Honestly I'm not sure Max even went on Survivor to try to win, I think he just went on Survivor to be on Survivor.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Sand Monster posted:

Don't the hens produce more eggs if there is a rooster around, though? Or am I making that up?

No, but it is a common thing that people think.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Man, No Collar is in a good spot coming up. They've got a solid foursome, while white collar and blue collar are both split. Since they've got one member of each tribe (Carolyn and Kelly), it would be easy for them to throw their weight to either side and come up with an instant numbers advantage.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Rarity posted:

With Tyler on the outs on Escameca I expect he'll join up with Carolyn again post-merge and go with No Collar. Then it's just gonna come down to whether they can get Shirin back or lure Sierra over. Yeah, No Collar look to be holding control of the game for the moment.

Sierra would be a really easy pull, Joe knows how much she hates Rodney and Dan and all he has to do is promise them as the first vote off. Assuming Carolyn sticks and she can bring Tyler over, that gives them the numbers and also mean they have a 4 strong sub-alliance they could go to down to Final 4 with easily. Of course it's not going to happen that way, but if I was on No Collar that's what I'd be aiming for at this point.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Poque posted:

It would've taken a lot longer, but I would've preferred in the reward challenge if each participating member of the tribe had to go through the obstacle course alone and the next person couldn't start until the previous person hit one of the targets out in the field. It would've put more individual pressure on people, which I always like. Hali got bailed out since Jenn was able to hit two targets for the winning team.

My theory is that this is what it was going to be originally but they looked at what the post-merge teams looked liked and decided to change it to more possible for the red team to actually win.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Actually I think Kelly being voted out makes it more beneficial for Tyler and Carolyn to stick with the blue collars. With Mike's solid ally gone they could easily take down the Joe/Jen/Hali trio and then grab Will and Shirin to take out the remaining blue collars, or even take Rodney instead of Will.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Nexal posted:

Im afraid it might be the twist swedish version or survivor loves which is a challenge at f4 between jury members and winner gets back to the game. We all know jeff loves redemption Island so I wouldn't count this lovely idea out of the question yet.

Too similar to the Outcasts twist from Pearl Islands which everyone hated, I think.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Survivor: One Idol Per Person. You show up on day one, and everyone gets an idol.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Tyler looked decently good early on but he hasn't done a single loving thing. He's basically Woo from Cagayan (with Shirin as his Kass-like "person who nobody likes who would lose at final tribal"). I expect to see Carolyn convince him that nobody will respect him for taking Shirin along and to bring her instead.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
From Dalton Ross's most recent interview with Probst

quote:

One of the biggest things to ever happen at an auction. One of the biggest arguments to ever happen at camp. Together, the two events set up one of the biggest finishes to any season. It’s definitely a “don’t miss” episode.

I've got to imagine the auction thing is the "big twist" we've been waiting for, just because we're running out time for something to actually happen. Anyone have any ideas of what kind of auction-related twist could happen?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Nexal posted:

I believe it's extra vote that you can use at any tribal up till final 4. I can already see people killing each other for it.

Hmm, if we put that together with what's going on from the preview, I could see Rodney flipping early. Rodney, Tyler, Carolyn, and Will have four votes, and one more would give them five. With Jenn seeming to getting along pretty well with Rodney, I could easily see her going along with them just to cause chaos.

Also if you told me at the beginning of the season that Rodney would actually be a pretty decent player I would have called you a liar but he seems to be doing good socially and strategically.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

xcore posted:

Has there been anything in the show to indicate that Mike even thinks Rodney is "against" him?

Shirin called out Rodney's alliance to Mike.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Shirin is the only person left I actually like. Mike seems like a nice guy but his constant blue collar talk was annoying and he blew up his game at the auction. Rodney, Dan, and Will are just terrible people, and Tyler, Carolyn, and Sierra have barely been on screen for weeks. For a season I started out with high hopes for I am struggling to keep watching.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Yeah, making the move and then taking it back is just the worst of both worlds - everyone saw you betray their trust, and you get nothing out of it. If he had stuck it out and got the extra vote (no way Probst would have let Carolyn get her money back) he could have used it tonight to get Carolyn out and break up that alliance.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

TheChad posted:

lol what if will wins cause everyone hates Shirin and his tirade against her scores him jury points?

Fans will riot.

Nah Will can't win. Shirin would have Jenn, Joe, Hali's votes for certain, and probably Mike's as well, vs Will probably would only have Dan as a solid lock.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I'd like to think Tyler would do well overall because the secret scenes/Ponderosa videos seem to pump him up and he seems to have made good decisions at almost every point. But I can't see him (or Carolyn, who also seems to be doing pretty well objectively) winning because they're loving invisible in the edit. If they were going to win, I'd have to think the edit would be making more of whatever moves he's making. I feel like Tyler and Carolyn are in charge of "Rodney's" alliance but are willing to let him stand up in front and take the heat, but there's nothing showing in the edit and if they were going to win I'd have to think they'd be showing up more.

Actually there's a loving ton of invisible people on this season at this point. Sierra, Tyler, and Carolyn might as well not exist, and before this latest episode Will didn't exist either. It's basically the Mike/Rodney/Shirin show in terms of who we've seen literally any semblance of strategy talk from. You can get a sense of what they're planning and how they want to go about their plan from those three, but Sierra/Tyler/Carolyn are blanks slates 1-3, and Will/Dan are just assholes.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Pinterest Mom posted:

Sierra is really the only question mark. She's the only player left in the game whose path to victory is unclear - I have no idea how she thinks she's going to win.

Jenn mentioned somewhere (her exit interview with RHAP?) that Sierra's plan is to take the most obnoxious people to the end (probably Dan and Will) with her and win by not being an rear end in a top hat.

Big Taint posted:

Sophie was mostly peripheral during her season, I don't think any edit analysts had pegged her as a contender and she didn't really start "breaking out" until the last few episodes, IIRC. So I won't be surprised if he is suddenly thrust into prominence late in the season and goes on to win. He has about five goats to choose from, he's sitting pretty.

Hearing about all the schemes and alliances and bullshit that the ejected players have talked about, that we weren't really shown, makes me think that Survivor has become really hard to edit now, because there are so many red herrings to filter out. Especially with so many gamers and fans in a season like this one, everybody is just constantly scheming, and crawling up their own asses strategy-wise.

Yeah but like, there's a number of times that Tyler's figured stuff out or let out information or got people to tell him things. He's clearly making these moves, but we're getting nothing about how those moves fit into his strategy. If he was going to win, I feel like we'd at least see something from him.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Mike is gonna win and Mike is basically Jeff's wet dream

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Mike is pretty good but he gets poo poo because he has the most obvious hero edit ever. Like ever since the merge 90% of the show has been focused on Mike.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

xcore posted:

Can someone with more encyclopedic knowledge than me count how many Kim's and Kelly's there has been, list who they were and their season and tally how it compares to other names in the show?

Or just point me to a site that will do this.

Fun fact, every season has had at least three Kelly's, they just only show the most interesting one. Also Kelly and Kim

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Orvin posted:

Does Mama C still have her idol? If she does, any chance she playes it on anyone other than herself? While she is tight with Tyler, I don't know if she would be willing to keep him around to the end, especially if she see him as winning it all.

Yes. The only way I could see her play it for someone else is at final five, where it's about to expire anyway, to protect one of the people that can't win (Dan or Will) from getting voted out, if she wanted to get Tyler or Rodney out.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
The problem is that Dan is dumb. No act is too stupid for Dan to do.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I hated Sandra, because I never found her edits entertaining. But I'd suspect her successes come from being relatable, likable, and friendly with her other tribe mates. No physical challenge threat, but able to connect with others and get them to trust her. That seems to me to be more like Kim, Parvati, Todd, JT, and Fabio.

The game bots do well when they're also friendly people. I don't know that I really think of Kim as a game bot, since she won challenges and actively convinced the guys they were fine, then voted them off, and did the same with Alicia and kat.

Sandra can and will lie right to your face at the slightest provocation, and she's good at it too. She's proof that the social game is by far the most important part of Survivor - she has no skill at challenges and isn't great at strategy.

Also I just listened to Kelly Wigglesworth's interview with RHAP and nobody should be voting for her. She's stuck in the worst mode of the early season's Survivors, in that she wants to bring back the "integrity of the game" and doesn't want alliances.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Russel is a complete idiot who doesn't understand how Survivor works, he himself admitted in the reunion when he said he never thinks about the jury. The jury is literally the most important part of the game because they decide who wins, and Russel never gave a seconds thought to what kind of juries he was building, and couldn't even manage to learn from his mistake.

Edit: Whoops forgot about the close timeline there.

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 11, 2015

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I wish Dave Ball had been invited back, he was great.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Adus posted:

i have to wonder if second time around they voted for her first at least partially for the comedy factor. it just seems so crazy that the planets aligned perfectly enough to allow her to be the first off twice.

It was 100% this.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I knew Dan was going to gently caress up that advantage.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

GaussianCopula posted:

So essentially the only possible winners at this point are Mike, Carolyn and Sierra.

Rodney could maybe win in a Rodney/Sierra/Will matchup, since Sierra has literally done nothing the entire game. It'd be close, though.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
With how terribly useless the extra vote turned out to be, next season they really need to get it going. For that reason I propose that everyone should get a single extra vote at the start of the game, for maximum chaos.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
The goal of the USPS is not to make money, it is to deliver mail. Now shut up about it and talk about Survivor.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

GaussianCopula posted:

He almost certainly made it to the final 3. Sorry but the "worst players ever" don't make the merge.

They do if they are goats.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Dan is so loving salty, I can't stop laughing whenever I see his dumb angry face

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

So do they actually expect us to believe that they are getting on a bus and going to the island to start filming Season 31 right now? I find it hard to believe... very hard.

From the RHAP interviews I believe it's only a couple days before they're heading out to the island.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Didn't they say on website that it was not just votes that decided them but also the team behind survivor

This was on there originally but there was a kerfuffle and it got removed

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Ironic Twist posted:

I really enjoy this cast. Woo and Kelley are the only ones that I wouldn't mind seeing go home first.

Actually, make that Woo and both Kellys. Because that would be hilarious.

I'd rather have Kelley Wentworth than Kelly Wigglesworth, at least Kelley is going to try to play the game. Woo should never have been picked, Shane and Carolyn should have been. Other than that the cast is perfect.

Piell fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Yeah Rodney was just too bitter.

• Locked thread