Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Survivor: Unflattering swimsuits

lol, for real

Pony: Shirin

Poison: Rodney, no way is he a fan of the show or knows anything about strategy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
So is So now stuck in some isolated place with only Vince for company til the next vote-out?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

mancalamania posted:

Hindsight is 20/20. In a three tribe season, there is typically a big swap into 2 tribes around Episode 5. From Will's perspective, Vince was unreliable enough that his position as top 2 in an alliance of 3 was questionable. Being a secure 4th in an alliance of 4 can be better than a loose 2nd in an alliance of 3 if the alliances are essentially dissolved by Episode 5 anyway.

Of course, given that we now know that Vince probably wasn't going to backstab him, and that his position as 4th in this alliance wasn't even that secure, and that the No Collars lost Immunity in Ep 3 and are now one challenge loss away from booting Will before the swap, Will's move is looking pretty silly. But in the alternate universe where the No Collars win immunity and Will can safely enter the swap without the baggage or worry of Vince's insanity, the move would look a lot better.

You're forgetting that Will didn't vote how he had agreed to with Joe/Jenn/Hali, so there is no way Will was thinking about anything besides "gently caress Vince" with that terrible decision for tribal. If strategy had played into it, he would've been so much better off just sticking with voting out Jenn even if Vince truly was as shaky as he thought. Everybody already hated Vince, so it would be easy to get one of the minorities to work with him if he had to boot him in the future, and when you're so clearly the weakest person on a tribe like Will is, it's insane to throw away being top 2 in a majority alliance. The only reason he wasn't voted off last night was because Nina talked everybody into voting for her instead.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I am so looking forward to the Rodney + Joaquin bromance.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

uranus posted:

its a shame lindsay couldnt stay cool calm and collective for long enough to ditch those shitlords

She was about as opposite to cool calm and collected as you can get for her whole time in the game, that's why she didn't make it past her first tribal.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Max is such a fuckin ham that him getting stung on purpose is within the realm of possibility.

Kelly got injured not too long before this, making him jealous and setting the wheels in motion. I could definitely see how he'd try to justify this strategically too with something like "this will build sympathy with my new tribemates and they won't want to vote The Wounded Man off"

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Poque posted:

I love how terrible Dan is. "I'm sorry I made you feel like poo poo, but let's be honest, you are poo poo"

great job

lol, the dude couldn't be more perfect of a goat if he had horns and hooves. I think he'd be constitutionally incapable of getting through final tribal and all the jury's questions without blowing up and pissing people off even more.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Jenn and Hali are some of the worst social players and game bargaineers I've seen. You got Will, one of their original alliance mates jumping at every chance to betray em, and the only person they retain from the tribeswaps is Shirin, who pretty much went that way by default. You got the other alliance containing dudes like Dan and Rodney and they still can't get anything going with anyone. At this point I'm ready to take Nina's side of the story. I'm gonna miss Hali's extra-from-a-Mad-Max-movie look though

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Nexal posted:

He is not gonna win but I do enjoy watching him.

Yeah, same here. I so want him to make it to the finals cuz the wholle jury process'll be some of the best TV I've seen outta Survivor.

GaussianCopula posted:

Rodney will make his move at final 7, that's to late to save Joe. The biggest problem with making a move at the point where Joe is vulnerable is that it saves Joe, who is a much bigger threat than Mike. With Kelly gone last week, Mike has only one solid ally, Dan, which is not enough to make him this gigantic threat. He is probably getting a very good edit with respect to what really happened on the Island, because he is the narrator for the majority alliance.

I assume Sierra's a solid ally of his at this point, I mean she's gotta be or that alliance would've imploded a couple times over already. Either that or she's the most flighty player I've seen.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

blue squares posted:

His pizza choices were correct. He chose all the people that gave him and Jenn the best shot at changing the game. I'm sure she knows that

I'd say his only questionable choice was Shirin, but she sorta put him on the spot and he probably didn't know how solid she is with his alliance right now.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Oh boo hoo Jenn. Joe is busting his rear end out there to stay alive in every single challenge, try winning one yourself for a change. Either way you'll get plenty of pizza at ponderosa I'm sure.

Regardless of whether or not Joe's alliance wants to stick with him, he's out the next time he doesn't win immunity. This would probably still be the case if he were in the dominant alliance. Joe is quite simply too good at Survivor.

I was listening to the Hali exit interview on RHAP and I could be misinterpreting what she meant cuz I was distracted, but it sounded like the potential girls' alliance originally wanted to target Joe and she was bummed when he won immunity.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

xcore posted:

Man, people on here are never happy and watch this show with rose colored glasses way too much.

- Say it's gonna be "another tired season where the majority picks off the minority" but on the other hand, criticize every one for being stupid when it's stupid people that are the ones that flip unnecessarily
- Criticize Tyler for "being dumb and doing nothing" when he is now in the box seat.
- Detest the unlikeable cast but complain that everyone is too vanilla, friendly and unwilling to make big moves when every cast member is a Joe clone.
- Complain about the rest of the season looking like it's gonna be a formulaic romp when we have just witnessed a massive shake up of the tribe/dynamics, the numbers are even and there are no real alliances

Yeah, I agree, this season's awesome and last night's episode gotta be one of the best I've ever seen. I don't know which moment I love more from last night: Shirin getting to raise her hand to deny Will, or Dan winning the auction advantage, so much good poo poo.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Shirin had the most entertaining handraise since Arnold Horshack, the most righteous since the 68 Olympics

STAC Goat posted:

Actually the way I remember that was she quit because she was afraid that she'd lash out at Trish in some kind of ugly way and didn't want to set that kind of example for her daughter. Which actually sort of emphasizes the difference with this group of assholes who don't seem to have a care in the world about how they look on TV.

Lndsey was just as terrible and mean as Will & a horrible example to put up against this cast, she just had the good fortune to aim her bullying vitriol at someone who wasn't liked itt. I really don't buy her excuse either, as her actions and words up until that point directly contradict "not being an example of a lovely person", she quit cuz her one friend got voted off.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Shneak posted:

Tasha won a few immunities (in a row?) on Cagayan.

Monica Culpepper went on an even more impressive run the season before that

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

I'd be interested to watch an entire immunity challenge in real time from 2 or 3 cameras, even if there were production delays, rule explanations, and long stretches of very little action. In an endurance challenge do they talk to each other, trash talk, strategize, tell stories? If they knew it was going to be viewable, would they talk more? Straight time of 'dinner' from start to finish would be interesting.

I'm surprised that they haven't released any DVD sets with stuff like this, especially as Survivor seems to have a decent sized hardcore fan base that would probably buy them just for that type of thing.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

newtestleper posted:

Someone make an argument for his playing it.

It's really just not a risk worth taking, especially when you've been as big of threat as he's been the whole season and everyone wants you gone. He can always have a chance at winning the next challenge or finding the next idol, while getting snuffed is final.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

But I'll never understand the players who basically play for 5th or 6th place with no plan or seemingly no motivation to get farther than that.

Ciera from the first Blood vs Water season drove me nuts playing like this, it was like she wanted so badly to be accepted and liked by the Survivor vets that she played against her own interests til it was too late to make a good move.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

This article's terrible, this season has been awesome

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
^^^ I agree about Keith, there's the chance that he knows a lot more about the game/strategy since last season, and even if he doesn't he'll still be entertaining as hell to watch.

Don't agree about Vytas. I don't remember much about how he was strategy wise but he was a good social player, he just had the misfortune of being on the wrong side of Tyson's post merge alliance.

xbilkis posted:

I didn't watch South Pacific as it aired and it is absolutely astonishing to see that anyone at all liked Jim Rice

I've never seen him before but will vote for him just cuz another rear end in a top hat named Jim Rice was a childhood hero of mine.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 7, 2015

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
That tribal worked out awesome for Mike. It saw the boot of Dan, who stupidly viewed Mike as his personal enemy, Dan's advantage is gone, and Carolyn's idol was flushed.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
gently caress that new advantage, it robbed me of a Dan final tribal jury disaster

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
This season's been great for strategy, even the players who fill roles that are usually clueless about strategy have not only had a good grasp of it, they've also had final 3 plans. The only reason there's been a lack of big moves is due to the majority of players this season having sound strategy fundementals and knowing when to just chill.

Also, Mike is a great Survivor player, one of the best I've seen play. I can't comprehend how anyone could think he's a lovely player.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

BGrifter posted:

Not looking to relitigate South Pacific, but outside of Survivor Sophie makes Cochran seem socially well adjusted. It really drives home how irritating Coach must get after several weeks that Sophie was able to win.

What's the deal with Sophie? All I know of her is from hearing her on RHAP as a guest commentator.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Terry Glenn posted:

and they never did because Caleb died before he married Colton. Pour one out for our rugged, gay Alabama-coal-miner homie.

Caleb died? That sucks, he seemed like a good dude

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
there's just no way Mike doesn't win this after that season recap

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
super lol at Rod calling his Dad "Bro"

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Wow, Rod got a hatred of rednecks that would rival that of even the most intolerant of super leftist goons

Does Jeff have a daughter? will he try to set her up with Mike at tonight's Live Finale?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Was Jenn in the second chance competition?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I'm only familiar with players from the most recent seasons, but out of those ones Woo and Keith would be my dream alliance mates. They can be lead, aren't the best strategists, both seem loyal & not the type to iniate moves/flip, don't suck at challenges, and they're both laid back. The main issue with them would be having to stay on top of them so they couldn't be tricked into revealing things by other people and coaching the hell out of them before every tribal.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

DoggPickle posted:

Yeah I really think causing them to make fire was like a win/win/win/win masterstroke, no matter how he defines it afterward. There was absolutely no outcome from that situation that didn't make Mike look better. He's not exactly my favorite winner ever, but I think that was a VERY smart move, especially right there at the end, when he must have been nearly brain and body dead from HAVING to win 5 challenges in a row. So I give props to Mike for that one for SURE.

I still wish Carolyn had gotten more votes, because I still don't understand exactly how she could have done anything any better. But that's how the game works out sometimes. It occurs to me that she may have been generally unpleasant in a way that didn't really come through the editing. (And I didn't watch any ponderosa this season)

I think Carolyn's lack of votes has less to do with her personality or anything like that than it does with how strong of a game Mike played and how he ultimately deserved the winning vote

Also, another advantageous thing about the fire challenge was that it shows how the "he just won immunities and didn't effect strategy or have any other influence on the game" argument was bunk, and exactly at the right time

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Two strategy things I remember from what I've heard of the Mike podcast so far: Sierra talking to Tyler, Joe & Jauquin about flipping was a bluff the bluecollars had planned for the swap, and the challenge-throw wasn't a Mike/Kelly only thing, but a strategy bc had planned pre-swap for any alliance mate who was on the bad side of the numbers after the swap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Capt. Supermarket posted:

Somebody, maybe Rob Cesternino, said that her revelation that she's a millionaire during FTC might actually help her next season in that players might want to bring her to the end feeling that no one would want to give her more money. That makes sense but who the hell knows.

I've been thinking about this past season, and I really didn't like it at all. There were some good moments and some decent characters, but the Probst hype machine definitely didn't help and I just can't get behind Mike as a satisfying winner. I've always considered challenge-whoring your way to the end as your only means of staying in the game to be impossible, and now that Mike has done it, I still see it more as an anomaly than anything. To have someone who was supposed to be out of the game from the final 9 on to make the FTC only because of challenges that can be completely random is just really unsatisfying to me. I wasn't a huge fan of Mike's anyways so that didn't help either (although he's been pretty great post-game on podcasts and stuff).

I also can't help but compare it to SJDS, a season that was for the most part panned by fans and especially Probst. I think a lot of it might have been Cagayan hangover, which was an absolutely incredible season. I actually liked SJDS quite a bit as it was airing, but I think I like it even more now that we have another season pass that I can compare it to. I've come to the conclusion that Natalie was an absolutely incredible winner and I think I would put her in my top five best players of all time. Contrast her to Jeremy, who crashed and burned because "these people are so dumb". After he was voted out, she did the exact right thing in not making a stink about it and fit right back into the alliance. From there, she played against and accounted for the type of people she was in the game with more than anyone I can remember. Even if the people in the game were a bunch of dummies, Natalie realized it and managed to maneuver around them accordingly. The Alec vote switch should have hurt her big time, and I remember it was rightfully criticized on RHAP after it happened, but she correctly assessed that she could explain it away to Jon and ultimately got a "NBD" from him. The idol play both played up to the jury and importantly gained the loyalty of Jackie even though it was screwing over Baylor/Missy. It's just that she played so well against the hand she was dealt and the players she was put in the game with that I can't help but be really impressed. Put that together with a season that had some pretty interesting storylines and multiple players that had tradition "winner's edits" that got voted out at unpredictable times and in my eyes you have a pretty great season.

Speaking of Rob, I feel like he should be cuing up that fanfiction "I'm a teller of stories" audio drop about now

• Locked thread