Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I haven't watched the early seasons in years but the look back on Borneo and Australia was both hilarious and interesting. I'd never thought of the idea that Sean was faking his alphabet strategy for the cameras so it was really cool to hear that kind of fresh perspective on it. I'm pretty much planning on getting them all now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I appreciate them putting all the assholes in one tribe so I only have to be bothered by them for 1/3rd of an episode.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Met posted:

Just watched through Micronesia.

I can't believe Erik gave up the immunity necklace.

This is the greatest moment in Survivor history

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Propaganda Machine posted:

I am 150 to 200 percent satisfied with my wife.

That's not even second place. That goes to "it's a loving stick".

Micronesia was the most amazing season :allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SalTheBard posted:

Has anyone been listening to "The Evolution of Strategy" podcast series on RHAP? I'm almost done with Borneo and I found it really interesting look back at the series. Are any of the other seasons worth getting? I'm tempted just to spend the $20 and get the whole first season.

I'm just about up to the end of Africa and there are so many seasons/players/,moments I can't wait for them to cover. It's a really great series and now I want to go and rewatch 29 seasons of Survivor :(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The only exciting thing in SJDR pre-merge was Drew's boot but the final run of episodes were ace. Natalie's play was really exciting to watch (the Baylor blindside was genius) and went a long way to redeem the season in my view.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

STAC Goat posted:

Speaking of Corinne I'm binging Gabon and I was just wondering if I was alone in how much I dislike the "We Love Marcus" alliance. They're not totally outwardly the biggest villains. Corinne is kind of crazy mean but Randy and Ace are much more obvious bastards not to mention clowns like GC. But Charlie is such a sycophant and creeper and Marcus just comes off arrogant and smug to me. And then I read a Marcus exit interview and he just sounds like such a deluded, up his rear end hypocrite to me. There's this really weird and off putting thing about Marcus, Charlie, and Corinne. I'm really, really enjoying watching their downfall. And I'm just wondering if it's just me.

There's a reason that Matty gif is used so much on the internet

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh my god everyone is a disaster.

Except Joe

Joe :allears:

Tyler is also surprisingly all right

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

neckbeard posted:

Holy poo poo So and Joaquin were terrible at lying. Like, why even mention that there was an option to deceive? Why not make up a more plausible story like they had the option for food or flint?

Thing is their lie would have been uncovered the first time tribes had a chance to interact. Joaquin is a glorious idiot and So shoulda just picked up the big bag and walked off with it then tattled on Joaquin.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Binary Logic posted:

Sierra: Brienne (or Kelly might be the lawful and honorbound Brienne)

Wait, there's a Kelly?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Last season is nowhere near as bad as Thailand or Nicaragua

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Colton was a pantomime villain. He was the perfect 'love to hate' bad guy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bigass Moth posted:

Last season was so boring I can't even remember who won.

Twinnie for the Winnie!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why are people so down on Cook Islands? Yul was likeable, Ozzy's douchey tendencies were being hidden by the edit and the Aitu 4 did a mega underdog Pagonging. What's the down side?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
When I started watching Survivor a couple years ago the huge consensus in the current thread was that Cook Islands was the best season. Weird how much opinion shifts in a couple of years.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fast Luck posted:

Who the gently caress is Kelly?

This is Kelly. A Survivor Worlds Apart player famous for:

- Sitting by the fire!

- Eating rice!

- Listening to other people!

- Not being in challenges!

- ...Staring into space?

- Not having a single confessional after two episodes!

Oh who am I kidding? This girl is a non-entity. In fact, she's so much of a non-entity you didn't even realise that the girl in that pic is just one I found on the internet, it's not even Kelly!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rick posted:

They all seem too petty, shallow and angry to like someone like Dan.

Dan seems too arrogant, patronising and uncaring for someone to like him

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rick posted:

If you think these Blue Collar people are great and not completely insufferable than maybe. The fact that Dan is sort of whacky is a nice change from those guys.

He talked to grown women as if they were 5 year olds. It was horrible.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

opposable thumbs.db posted:

I haven't watched Survivor ever before this year. I only started watching because my coworker's girlfriend is on the show (Shirin) but it seems great. It seems like she's doing well? My coworker hasn't been watching with us which is good since he's horrible at secrets.

Does she spend most of her time trying to watch monkeys have sex?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Poque posted:

I legitimately think that Mike told his artist to tattoo "Psalm 121" on his back, expecting to get the entire verse written out

I want to believe that he still thinks that's what he got

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spatula City posted:

That was beautiful. And surprising, because I though it'd be Shirin. But I never really warmed up to Max, although I never hated him. Can't believe I ever thought he was a contender, wow. And Shirin is SO SCREWED. It's hilarious also because Carolyn and Jenn both also deeply love Survivor, but they're not gigantic spergs about it.
Unfortunately the next boots will be really predictable. Probably. If Blue loses it'll be Joaquin or Tyler (Joe is super-likable, least likely to be booted), or maybe Rodney if Sierra can form Joe/Joaquin/Tyler into a coalition. Red will be Shirin and then Will.
anyway, great set of episodes, although I'm sure now it was for scheduling reasons because episode 4 was fine.
And I've finally found people to root for! Go Mike and Kelly! :neckbeard:

Nah, Kelly should be the one gone next week. Shirin's not got any allies left so she can be reeled back in but there's no way you risk letting Kelly get back to the Blue Collars at the merge.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ApplesandOranges posted:

Francesca is the greatest player ever to only play in two episodes in two seasons.

Sorry, I don't know any Francesca.

Now, Francisqua, there was a player :swoon:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Piell posted:

Man, No Collar is in a good spot coming up. They've got a solid foursome, while white collar and blue collar are both split. Since they've got one member of each tribe (Carolyn and Kelly), it would be easy for them to throw their weight to either side and come up with an instant numbers advantage.

With Tyler on the outs on Escameca I expect he'll join up with Carolyn again post-merge and go with No Collar. Then it's just gonna come down to whether they can get Shirin back or lure Sierra over. Yeah, No Collar look to be holding control of the game for the moment.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's nothing better than a great immunity play, this episode ruled. I really want Joe/Jenn/Hali to ride the game out to the end but I've got no idea how they could make that happen. I also really like how Tyler handled himself as the swing vote, he looks like he's having so much fun playing the game (and maybe he's getting kinda hot?)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dugong posted:

"want me to pee on it?" :shepface:

Turns out killing rabbits wasn't the only thing she practiced :gonk:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sand Monster posted:

We never saw anything to indicate he didn't get along with his tribe, and he decided to jump ship to be at the absolute bottom of another alliance. It's an infuriating play.

In fairness, he has to know that he's at the bottom of the No Collars so there's not a whole lot he could do. At least being on the bottom of a bigger alliance gives him more room to maneuver.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Kelly from S29? Seriously? :psyduck:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pinterest Mom posted:

I just finally caught up with the season. It is so good! Jenn is a hero and Carolyn and Sierra rule and everybody but Hali is an actual presence it's fantastic :allears:

And I get that Blue + White + Will didn't have enough trust to effectively work together but they had enough votes to split between Jenn and Hali~

If they're not trusting Will then a vote split strategy is too risky, cause then Will just needs to vote with the No Collars for them to win the vote with 5.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dugong posted:

Why didn't Tyler tell Mike the wrong clue or something? There is no way that he would figure that out. Does Tyler actually think Mike would save him?

Probably worried that the lie could get revealed too easily

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DaisyDanger posted:

The best part of Awful Survivor is making goon friends. :3:

The best part is backstabbing your goon friends :unsmigghh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ApplesandOranges posted:

Rodney might not even need to wait til F7; he could easily get Sierra to join them in removing Dan (who's pretty much just latching onto Mike at this point) and outnumber them 5-4. Then even if Jenn joins up with Mike it's still a 4-4 tie, and it's just a matter of which side plays their idols more carefully.

The hilarious implication of Rodney's alliiance is that if they do flip on Mike at F7 and Rodney decides to take Dan as a goat over the White Collars, we could be looking at a Dan/Rodney/Will F3. Which would legitimately be the worst F3 in history, but might be Rodney's only way to win since he actually made moves.

I mean when Rodney first pitched his alliance idea at the merge everyone thought it was the most nonsensical alliance of people ever but now it's looking actually legitimate except the still odd initial choice of Kelly.

The only problem is that it's incredibly likely Tyler/Carolyn would flip on at him before the end, especially if Dan is still in the game. Why risk going F3 with an rear end in a top hat who's made moves when you could go with an rear end in a top hat who hasn't?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I can't believe how good that idol was. If there was a better talisman to salvage he might have pulled it off.

Except if it was a real idol, there was no reason to sell it for a vote instead of playing it on himself.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Met posted:

Ha, some guy is begging the tribe to pee on his hand.

There are two reasons to watch Marquesas, this is the first :allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nihonniboku posted:

Kathy Vavrick Obrien is reason enough to watch Marquesas. I've never seen such a redemption arc in the history of the show. She went from being ostracized by her original tribe and sure to be the next to go, somehow making it by the skin of her teeth every week, and made it to the final three (of a final (terrible) 2 season).

It also shows the first of (4 ugh) Boston Rob season. People could see through his bullshit, and I'm not even sure if he made it through to the jury. But then he was the first two ever take advantage of his real life relationships off the show with the fellow players, this was when Survivor was the number one show on tv, and use unlike anyone else on the show did to secure himself the 2nd and 1st places (because he carried the undeserving Amber to that victory).

The second thing was Kathy bringing down the Rotu 4, I think that covers your first part :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

blue squares posted:

at least Will is a really nice guy

:laugh:

This episode was somehow awesome and terrible at the same time. Of the main alliance 5 of them are horrible people and the other is Tyler, who is at best just there. At this point the only outcome that could make me happy is a Shirin win and I don't see how that happens when so many eventual jurors already hate her.

Rarity fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 23, 2015

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TheChad posted:

Ahh, I was making dinner during that part and assumed she was the one who was spreading the rumor. I wonder why he didn't freak out on Mike instead?

Because he knows that the tribe have been annoyed with Shirin from the start and that Mike would defend himself harder.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nexal posted:

Am I a horrible person for wishing a Dan,Rodney and Will final three?

Jeff: Why are all these voting slips blank? :confused:

blue squares posted:

You all know how much of a Survivor fan I am and some of you may remember that I quit last season around merge time. Should I go back and watch it now that it's over and I can suffer through it all relatively quickly?

While the cast aren't memorable, the post-merge was much better than the pre-merge. The game wasn't predictable, one player in particular used some interesting strategy and the winner was not objectionable in the slightest.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nihonniboku posted:

The winner was the best deserving of the three, yes. That was a relief at least. Regarding the winner's strategy though I feel like she played an under the radar game, and won as the lesser of 3 evils.

No way can you call her an under the radar player. She should have been top of the chopping block after Jeremy got booted but she somehow managed to wriggle her way into become the #1 ally of the new power, she undermined her alliance with the Alec vote without any of them realising, she was the mastermind behind Jon's blindside, she found an idol and used it to great effect and she survived the final 4 vote besides being the obvious winner. She also got Jon Rocker booted without even being on his tribe. From the final 8 onwards she was clearly the best player going.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mancalamania posted:

Don't forget singlehandedly preventing Reed from taking over the game by telling Jon to play his idol..

Yeah, this too. The winner's game was tight as hell.

Man, I kinda really wish this was the last season again :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ten Wasted Dollars posted:

I also don't see Shirin making it past the next episode, honestly. Unless she wins immunity (which doesn't seem too likely), the votes will be split between her and Mike. I think Mike is self-aware enough to realize that he is on the outs ( by Jenn's account he has basically been outcasted by the alliance that he was formerly the figurehead of ) and he'll play the idol which will send Shirin home. At this point, Shirin seems to have rubbed too many people the wrong way (Dan/Will/Carolyn/Tyler) and apparently (according to Jenn) Sierra is unwilling to work with her because she knows that she couldn't win against Shirin in the FTC. I don't think that there are enough people willing to work with her for her to make it to the end.

Most likely Dan is gone next week. The double vote is just not an advantage you leave in the game and after this vote the core 4 will be able to keep the majority. All Tyler/Carolyn need to do is get their guys on board with voting Dan and then convince Dan and Sierra that they're sticking with the plan to vote out Mike/Shirin.

• Locked thread