Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Last season was fun, as long as you ignored the gameplay and focused solely on Jeff Probst realizing how terrible their casting choices were. The man HATED them by the time the finale rolled around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Pavarti and Sandra are the only two Survivor players to make my jaw drop with how well/devious they played the game. The residual goodwill from the season they were both on (Heroes and Villains?) is probably why I still watch the show.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Huh, I knew there were cameramen and producers off-camera, but I never knew that the interview bits (talking heads etc.) have a producer feeding them lines or thoughts or suggestions.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Start at the beginning and watch it through. Even the bad ones.

Though I haven't seen them all either, so what the hell do I know?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The middle seasons are where I honestly blur in and out of even remembering what seasons I watched. Even pulling up the wikipedia page leaves me shrugging half the time.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, I loved the first all stars season. You can't really ignore the level of hype that season had - the first time we had returning players in that many numbers. I remember tuning in and out of the show, depending on how busy I was with school/work, but I and a bunch of other fans all returned to watch that season.

Heck, the fact that I can recall that its the Rob and Amber Show puts it above most of the seasons.

----

San Juan Del Sur was a terrible no good very bad season. But it was highly entertaining, as long as you stopped wishing for strategy, smarts, or any real emotion from the cast. Instead, I watched almost entirely because it was like seeing Probst have a season-long heart attack at how terrible the cast was. His slowly deteriorating mental state was fantastic.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I thought you were joking.

You were not.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Jenn has personality and has had a few witty-ish talking head bits. And while I thought her comments were insensitive, Nina handled that whole event super poorly.

That's two decent episodes in a row. Hallelujah praise.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Also, anyone else really prefer seasons that start with three tribes? It allows personalities to shine and its much easier to follow the votes.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Vince was five days away from smelling Jenn's panties out there. Like, strategy or not - that was unnerving and creepy to watch.

Agreed that Will was backed into a corner and chose the least bad option - three tribes opens up way more opportunities for shuffle fuckery.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I rarely get the chance to perv out on Survivor, but Shirin is all sorts of awesome.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So did Carolyn orchestrate Max's exit for any real gameplay advantage? Like, the only time White Collar went to tribal Carolyn voted with max and shirin. Was her sole reasoning to get him and Shirin out their grating personalities?

I was also confused by why Max and Shirin were so confident. Even assuming you have Carolyn's vote, that's still 3 of yours against 3 no collars. Kelly holds all the cards and could basically demand anything... and you're confident walking into a tribal with that?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I much prefer seasons where everyone is either new or returning. When they mix the two the chances of things going haywire are really high.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I adore Shirin for unknowable reasons. Ever since she was fascinated by monkey sex I was like "this girl's awesome, I hope she hangs around".

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Poque posted:

Rupert and his pity million

Word.

I legitimately stopped watching Survivor for multiple seasons because I couldn't stand him.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its weird, last season was absolutely terrible and dull - but we at last knew where everyone stood in each alliance. This time around, I feel like Tyler and Carolyn and Sierra are cyphers. They might be playing a great game of wait and see, but a confessional where they admit it to that would do wonders.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Sorry, I didn't state that right. There was plenty of flips and switching around, but last year I knew WHY those switches were made. And why people chose to stay with an alliance. As dumb as the "Jon and Jaclyn" control the game episodes were, it as abundantly clear why people were letting that happen.

This season has a much more compelling cast, but I could barely tell you a drat thing about half of them.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Mike's shown a lot of great alliance managing throughout the season, but if the editing is at all truthful than him calling out the alliance basically shellacked him. Hard.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If I were Mike I'd totally play the idol.

Do not overthink idiots.

If there's one BIG lesson from the past few years, its that.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I voted for Max because I want to hear this thread bitch. :dance:

(Also voted for a bunch of veterans because y'all said it'd be good to do that.)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I just realized there's a decent chance of a final 3 being Will, Rodney, and Dan.

Would that be the worst final group in survivor history? Feel free to substitute Sierra in there too, since she's done next to nothing all game.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I honestly think Rodney could beat Sierra - he has a much stronger strategic argument to make.

If by some force of nature we had a final two between Dan and Will I honestly would not know what to do.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I got stuck in a survivor wiki wormhole, checking out details on some of the seasons I missed. And anyway, I noticed that Survivor Guatemala brought back two people from the immediate prior season - was there any thinly veiled reason for those two to return? I guessed they were popular with the crowd, but I hadn't heard of either person.

Also, there are entire seasons where I remember people but nothing else about the season... like my whole brain jumbled all Survivor poo poo together including returning and first timers and weird settings and all the rest.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I voted for Kelly. And Max. Because I find terrible people hilarious.

I voted for Shane too, though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its a bit weird how many people utterly failed to hustle for cross-tribe alliances this year. Much as I enjoyed them, the No Collars didn't try and expand their numbers at all (except for Shirin, who was pretty much abandoned by her original tribe). There was some mixing with WC and blue collar, but not anywhere near as much as I would've guessed.

Is that a standard result of having three starting tribes?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Can someone remind me where I can stream old episodes of Survivor? I've missed like half the seasons and just got hired for a summer job that's going to give me weird hours and lots of chances to drink.

I think I saw the first few seasons, then tuned out and only watched returning player seasons (so i've seen every season with Rupert except his first) before getting hooked a few years ago again. Would be particularly fun to watch Fans vs Favorite and Heroes vs Villains and actually know who 90% of the people are...

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Any great tidbits from the Mike interview? I can't listen to a three hour podcast.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So I know everyone has a different opinion on this, but I've seen roughly half of Survivor's seasons. I kinda want to rewatch em over the summer, since I have a killer seasonal job that an episode of survivor seems like a perfect tonic to.

I looked up a list of seasons, and I've actually seen far less than I thought. While I've seen most of the returning players seasons, I'm missing quite a few early seasons.

I remember Vecepia's win in Marquesas (and O'Donnell's loving awful reunion show), but I have literally no memory of Thailand, Amazon, or Pearl Islands. Should I go back and watch everything from season one, or start where my memory starts to go fuzzy?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I would like to see a season where there aren't any teams at all, and just skip straight to individual immunity. Would be hell on the editors, though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The thing is, Big Brother STILL has pagongings. Its just that they take even longer because of a random week or two where somebody manages to periodically win control. But its rare to see those moments shift the game in huge ways.

Goddamn it guys, I'm drunk and seriously considering throwing money at CBS' All Access so I can watch early season survivor.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I don't think Mike was a challenge beast. He just got super lucky that all of the people against him were gently caress-awful at challenges.

That doesn't take anything away from Mike's ability to perform again and again and again, but his streak occurred largely because no one was even the slightest bit viable as a challenger.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Whoa, I think people misunderstood me. Mike was a deserving winner and made for good television.

I just think that, like most winners, there's a lot of luck involved.

Probably the most baffling thing about Worlds Apart is how little No Collar tried to bond or shore up their numbers.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

No idea if the season will work, but the idea of "Only Second Chancers" is a really smart one. It doesn't force them into a strict All-Star season packed full of the "Big" survivor names, but it still has the excitement of people determined not to get boned a second time.

Then again, good themes only occasionally translate into good seasons...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm watching season one of Survivor, and its remarkable how Richard Hatch is literally the only person realizing he's playing "Survivor". Including Jeff Probst.

• Locked thread