Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Credit where credit is due: Joaquin really cleaned up with that that basketball section. Easy to judge him for the day 1 lie overplay, but he did deliver in the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Psychotic Puggle posted:

This was the most surprising part of the episode for me. I legit thought he was pushing 50.

Seriously, the dude looks rough for his age.

Coconut vending is a tough game

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

Solitary had something like this, it was "stay in this cramped box that you can barely sit comfortably in, step outside after precisely 3 hours". One guy said that he just recited the entire movie Titanic but ended up leaving a few minutes early because he forgot to count the credits.

That was such a great moment. It was a good strategy and it actually would have worked.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

At the moment I like Mike alright because he was self aware about the Sierra situation and the need to apologize regardless of anything else and bring her back into the fold. Of course that was extremely poorly executed, but that he voiced it at all as well as explaining his numbers game in the confessional makes me like him more as a player than, say, Dan or Rodney or Joaquin who apparently think they can bro their way through the game.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Great ep, but possibly really lucky idol play. It'll be interesting to hear interviews about how Jenn knew to play it for herself.

Also, I don't see Shirin going back to the white collars, especially since she's got to know Tyler and Carolyn are tight. She felt excluded from them and while previously she was tolerated at best by the No Collars, with Will defecting and along with her statement at tribal that she's not a swing vote, she probably feels even more more solid with Jenn/Hali/Joe now than before. Even if its clear to her that she's #4 in that group, I think she'll be very unlikely to be pried away at this point.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Piell posted:

Survivor: One Idol Per Person. You show up on day one, and everyone gets an idol.

This would actually be fascinating. You'd have to balance guaranteed safety on early votes vs taking it late game. Plus you'd have the potential for more double idol plays. People who manage to keep them all the way to the merge are targets. This would work best with no hidden idols.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

If Joe had taken the idol to Rodney with a plan to blindside Mike it might have worked.

Or maybe if Joe had handed the fake idol to Jenn ahead of time, with the plan that Jenn would talk big about her giving up schtick and publicly hand the "idol" to Joe. Then Joe plays along, acts surprised & happy, and then doesn't play it, of course. Hypothetically that'd rattle people into just voting Jenn. Jenn gets what she wants (a big splash & voted out). Joe gets what he wants (another 3 days, and a bonus of people thinking he has an idol now). Worst case is what actually happened. It was a potentially interesting play that was bobbled.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I'm sure Shirin is getting a nice edit at this point, but I don't care. I like her. And I like Mike. So it's exciting to contemplate that these two oddballs will crush the hopes and dreams of all the idiot aholes parading around.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

TheChad posted:

Would she? Jenn/Hali didn't really seem to like Shirin all that much. (Then again they don't like Will either)

Dan/Will/Rodney ftc will rule.

In the ponderosa vids, Hali initially thought that Shirin flipped but then later said that she realized Shirin was their only ally. I think at this point all three could vote for Shirin, although they all seem to think Tyler is a frontrunner.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

When was the last time someone intentionally tried to be a vote magnet to use an idol?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

It is somewhat surprising given Jeffs history of handling suggestions for deals that he was willing to let Will have it so easily.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

This makes me happy

Adus posted:

HALI

HALI GET YOUR HANDS ON THAT WHEEL YOUNG LADY

Also this, for srs girl.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I think Jeff just wants great tv. Being superior at physical challenges makes for a better show than someone great at nonphysical challenges. Same reason he hates the memory challenges and stuff.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

He's a perspective character, as Jenn was and Shirin as well to a degree. From each collar tribe the editors gave us a character to have a principal voice post merge. There's an designed element of survivorship bias here as they outlasted their earlier tribemates that also gave us perspective, like Lindsay. He also on the preferable side of the edit with regards to Shirin's story... the editors wanted to show her positively for whatever reason so they clamp down on her annoying parts to highlight Dan & Will's behavior. Mike works for this storyline too since he was the a person who wasn't dogpiling her and thus can give us a perspective on those on the other side.

The edit this season has been pretty entertaining. I'm loving that all three factions say Dan is a moron in confessionals, cut to Dan trying to lick a bit of rice off his face or whatever. Hilarious.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

It's going to be pandemonium if Mike pulls out another immunity win. Because if you're Dan/Sierra and you think you can squeak out one more against Sierra/Dan before you "make your move" (whatever that is), your hand is going to be forced ahead of time.... if either of them realize that.

I wonder what the chances of 2x immunity idol plays + the extra vote next tribal are.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I can't believe Shane is on the second chance list. He's got to be a shoe-in, and because of it I'm already pumped for next season.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I do love survivor, but I don't like how the most optimized win strategy seems to take a goat. But I can't think of any game modifications where this doesn't always happen.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

* Mike is a good winner and a good player, so this season is somewhat redeemed for the weird negativity.

* Pretty strong male cast for 31. Reallllly excited to see Fishbach and Spencer back.

* Kind of a weak female cast. Maybe they got a lot of "no's" and this was the best they could recruit?

* Would've preferred to see Carolyn back over Shirin, and I think Shirin will have an impossible game because a) she got a good edit and the dissonance between her edit and being on a beach with her will be enough of a shock for people to want her out b) no players network alliances going in.

* Cambodia, awesome.

* NO SHANE WHAAAAAAAAT that sucks. He was the 1 person I really wanted to see back. He must have been DQ'd for some reason they didn't/couldn't get in to.

e:

Factor Mystic posted:

I can't believe Shane is on the second chance list. He's got to be a shoe-in, and because of it I'm already pumped for next season.

It was me, I jinxed it, I'm so sorry :(

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Mike's victory is going to reinforce the strategy of not letting strong physical people get to the merge for fear of an immunity run, regardless of the fact that it was a rare occurrence putting him in elite standing.

That could be good news for next season considering the strategic players who may not be physical threats themselves, like Kass. I can't remember how good Fishbach was in challenges. I bet Spencer has been doing endurance training from the moment he realized he could have another shot :v:.

I actually hope Joe ups his strategy game a lot considering he just got taught that you can make bold moves and win.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I miss Jeff kicking people off a boat and them having to scramble for supplies. I also miss Adventure Jeff.... the one perma-disappointment of modern seasons :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

DoggPickle posted:

Sugar might have gotten a bit harsh of a rap over the years, but watching her talk to herself for hours and nearly going crazy and actually finding the exile idol , she's actually quite a cute and funny person.

Also she was in an episode of Gilmore Girls, so she's tied with Penner (who was in an ep of Arrested Development) for "can do no wrong" status for me.

• Locked thread