Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Drink and Fight posted:

Also has mountain winter zombie Nazi guy (I can't remember his name) written anything lately?

That's 50 Foot Ant, now posting as Nostalgia4coldwar, and no he hasn't. In fact he's been outed as a fraud. None of his stories here or anywhere else ever happened, he was never in the military, Humper-monkey was an alternate persona he made up and killed off, and every single thing he posted in these threads was a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

That's 50 Foot Ant, now posting as Nostalgia4coldwar, and no he hasn't. In fact he's been outed as a fraud. None of his stories here or anywhere else ever happened, he was never in the military, Humper-monkey was an alternate persona he made up and killed off, and every single thing he posted in these threads was a lie.

I too am disappointed that the man posting about ice zombie demons was lying.

Still were fun reads though.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Wow, that's wild. Was there a thread where he admitted it or got called out?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Nuggan posted:

I too am disappointed that the man posting about ice zombie demons was lying.

Woah woah spoilers please!!!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

I liked the one where he posted about the maggots in the dying woman's vagina or something

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I mean his stories were good, but... none of them were based on actual experiences, is all.

Also Epilogue 4 is creepy as poo poo, and not in a scary ghost way.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

I liked the one where he posted about the maggots in the dying woman's vagina or something

Oh yeah, it was something his persona's wife had seen while serving as a medic in the Middle East. Also it was a dying small child.

I don't recall a specific calling-out of his stories, but they did get progressively more implausible until we all kinda knew. HM's stuff had been believable because it turned out that all the phenomena was caused by it being an old-rear end building in the dead of winter. 50FA's last story involved some kind of Irish spirit that got reincarnated in each generation of his family, and at one point the only thing keeping him alive was her magic.

They were good stories, but they tended to devour the thread. And since those early stories had been plausible it irritated a lot of people when the later stories took that hard left into weirdness.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
When I was between the ages of 12 and 24 I lived in the boonies of rural Ohio. The area, despite being full of rednecks and hillbillies, was quite beautiful. My parents built the house directly on top of an old coal mining path that led from the main paved road to a long abandoned strip mine about half a mile away. The strip mine had filled in with water, making a moderately large manmade pond I used to enjoy walking along. I used to walk there at least once a week with my dogs and just enjoy the nature.

The path I took had been used by the coal miners about 100 years ago. It was mostly grown over now with thick grass and small trees but it was still visible.

Halfway between the house and the mine was the grown over foundation of an old settlement. The wooden upper part had long rotted away leaving only the stone flooring. The foundation was little more than a rectangle cut into the ground and lined with rocks.

It was tiny – barely large enough to fit a motorcycle in if you wanted to do such a thing. I have no idea what the settlement was used for. It’s too small for anyone to have lived there, but the trees had been cut down all around it in a 30x50 foot space so people probably spent lots of time there at one point. Maybe it was a dining area for the workers? I honestly don’t know.

I’m relatively sensitive to paranormal activity, though nowhere near sensitive enough to be a medium. I never got any bad vibes from the settlement nor from the mine – they all felt inactive to me.

There was one very odd thing about the settlement, though: every year hundreds of huge bright yellow daffodils would grow all around it and nowhere else. I don’t know much about horticulture but these didn’t look like the cute tiny wild daffodils you see every spring. These were the big guys you see in greenhouses and around people’s front lawns, and they stayed blossoming from spring well into the autumn. I’ve never seen anything like it before or since. And holy crap did they smell strong. Just by walking past the place the powerful sweet flower smell would hit you like you were holding them right under your nose. I guess they had been planted back 100 years ago, but I thought that big daffodils had to be replanted every year. Like I said, it was weird.

Paranormal activity in the house didn’t start until about two or three years after moving in. The house was literately brand new, so there was no history inside it to draw energy from. There was, however, the mining path it was build on top of, and it took a while for that energy to make its way into the house.

It started with little things – a hard knock on the outside of a window or a bedroom dresser, new batteries going flat in a few hours, plants in only a few parts of the house turning to mush overnight, smoke making an arc in the air and flooding the floor rather than just going to the ceiling, things like that.

Photographs, especially the ones taken in my parent’s bedroom and of the smallest dog, would often have bright orange orbs and streaks. Not many white ones, though, mostly orange. One time I took a photo of the small dog IN my parent’s bedroom. There were so many orange orbs and streaks you could barely see him. The big dog never had orbs in her pictures, so I guess the entity(ies) preferred tiny Pomeranians to big Mountain Cur Hounds.

After a couple of years the shadow people arrived. There was one massive one that would appear in my bedroom at random hours of the day, always positioned as though it was looking out my window into the forest. This was the same window where knocking would occur the most often. To this day I have no idea what it was trying to communicate since we never found anything out there in the direction it seemed to be looking. It scared the poo poo out of me at the time but today I’m more confused than anything else.

There was another (maybe the same one?) that didn’t allow itself to be seen as much as felt. It liked to haul itself quickly up and down the T shaped hallway that led to the bedrooms. I hated going through that hallway because I could sometimes feel someone rushing past me. It was the worst at night because it would run quickly up behind me and stay there, standing very close behind my back as though it wanted me to move out of its way.

It all culminated one evening when I was home alone as a teenager. My parents were out to dinner and I was watching tv on the couch when I got up to use the bathroom. It was dark out so I left the hall light on because I hated feeling that thing run past me and having a light on made me feel safer. I shut the door to the bathroom out of habit.

No sooner had I taken a seat when loud heavy footsteps stomped in an “I’ve lived here for years and am not in any hurry” pace from the entrance of my parents room (the place where most of the orange orbs were photographed) into the hallway and stopped right in front of the bathroom door. Since the light in the hall was on I could clearly see the shadows of his rather large boots. After a couple of seconds he sighed loudly, as though frustrated about something. He had the voice of a middle-aged man. He didn’t sound mean or threatening, just irritated. He took two more steps away from the door towards my bedroom and all sound vanished.

I very slowly pulled my pants up and huddled in the bathtub for the next two hours, staring at the gap under the bathroom door until my parents came home. I don’t think I’d ever been so scared in all my life up until that point.

I had no idea if that was a ghost or an actual intruder who was standing right outside the bathroom door, waiting for me to come out. I now know it wasn’t an intruder – there was no sign of entry and nothing was missing or broken. Besides, the dogs would have freaked out. They didn’t react at all to the loud sigh or stomping (also very weird).

I now think that the man I’d “met” that day was the same shadow person I would see in my bedroom looking out the window. Maybe he was a miner who had died on the job and had been unceremoniously buried alongside the path somewhere on the property. He also apparently really liked small dogs.

I’ll never know for sure, because he stopped making himself known a few months after the bathroom incident. He gave one more hard knock on the window when I was in my room doing homework and I suddenly didn’t feel a presence anymore. I guess he figured we couldn’t do anything to help him and decided to move on. I sure hope so.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

coronatae posted:

And since those early stories had been plausible it irritated a lot of people when the later stories took that hard left into weirdness.

Yeah, it's weird to say this in a ghost thread, but some of the more implausible ones (And the ones that are written like creative fiction) never really sit well with me.

Mad dwarves in a school basement though? Not heard that one before. Loved it.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

coronatae posted:

They were good stories, but they tended to devour the thread. And since those early stories had been plausible it irritated a lot of people when the later stories took that hard left into weirdness.

This is a fair point. A lot of the charm of the humper monkey stuff was how it really maybe might have happened since it was just an old building in winter. And then after explaining all the reasons it wasn't ghosts, there was still the unexplained one guy going missing.

The later ones did get over the top a bit, especially in comparison.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Was he the guy who always posted stories where the speaker was some redneck and/or military guy that was all 'I hit that sumbitchin' ghost with a 2 by 4 cause I'm just one tough SOB!" That kind of poo poo was always my least favorite thing about these threads.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Any of the giant novellas that routinely get posted in these threads ruins them in my opinion. I wish there was a way to make thread about spooky stuff happening to people with out having authors flying out of their seats to try and post their longest self published ghost story. But more people than not love them so I just have to scroll past literal pages sometimes to read what could be, maybe, a personal story from someone who is not published.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I ffucking HATE ghost stories

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
wasn't there like a giant collection of stories about a snoopy doll or something?

edit: i don't want to read them, i was just talking about huge stories.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Yes, I posted a link to them a little earlier in the thread. Watching that story compete with the then-recent 50FA story for space was interesting.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
edit: ^^^ More like annoying. I just loved having to endlessly scroll through their posts then their legion of fans' posts to find other content.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

wasn't there like a giant collection of stories about a snoopy doll or something?

edit: i don't want to read them, i was just talking about huge stories.

There was, yes, and it basically ended in child molestation or some poo poo like that? I never read it.

I like the bigger stories but it really depends on the writer.. I couldn't stand 50 Foot Ant's nor the Snoopy stories but I really like Onic's. Causality Jane also wrote some really good ones too. Have those been posted in this one yet? Can't recall.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
yeah it was pretty cool for a story about a haunted snoopy to suddenly be about a child sucking on a grown woman's tits or something, that was a doozy

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

yeah it was pretty cool for a story about a haunted snoopy to suddenly be about a child sucking on a grown woman's tits or something, that was a doozy

Instant horror just add underage sex

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

AnonSpore posted:

Instant horror just add underage sex

Worked for Stephen King.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Tardcore posted:

Worked for Stephen King.

I'd managed to forget that happened

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

AnonSpore posted:

Pretty much everybody blocks that part out of their memory, it's really fun to bring it up when people are singing his praises and watch their reaction.

If anybody's going through looking for great old stuff, I remember the stories from tinysmokemonster being pretty good. I think they were about cleaning out an old building full of junk, and I vaguely remember her boss basically going insane in the place?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But they had to! They were leaving childhood behind guys! It's not gross and weird at all!

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

AnonSpore posted:

... I'm not getting the reference.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Cornuto posted:

... I'm not getting the reference.

In Stephen King's IT, the Losers have an orgy in the sewer (as children) because it "allows" them to leave behind their childhood or some poo poo like that in order to combat Pennywise.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

AnonSpore posted:

Everone else posted:

:eng101:

:thejoke:

I guess, at least? Major plot point was people forgetting what happened.

Nichole
Nov 5, 2009

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Pretty much everybody blocks that part out of their memory, it's really fun to bring it up when people are singing his praises and watch their reaction.

If anybody's going through looking for great old stuff, I remember the stories from tinysmokemonster being pretty good. I think they were about cleaning out an old building full of junk, and I vaguely remember her boss basically going insane in the place?

tinysmokemonster also had stories about her childhood home that were pretty good. Also, in a thread about just weird things, not necessarily paranormal, she wrote about a crazy apartment building she lived in. I remember really enjoying her stories.

I think one the big differences in big stories that work vs big stories that suck is that the ones that are good have an ending. I gave up on Ant's and the snoopy one since they seemed to never end. The original HM story was good because it ended. But then he couldn't let it go and just kept adding. While I never actually thought the stories were real, they just grew so outrageous that I couldn't even lose myself in the story any more.

Please, if anyone has a story don't be afraid to post. This seems to be a forgiving bunch if you don't go on and on.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Duodecimal posted:

:thejoke:

I guess, at least? Major plot point was people forgetting what happened.

It was half :thejoke: and half being serious.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Does anybody remember a story about a guy confronting a white thing in his attic, and shooting it?
After he shot it, the thing exploded into white dust and the cops came because neighbours called about the shot.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

At first the story wasn't bad, but to me it got too weird/creepy and disjointed and I got sick of trying to parse what the gently caress was happening. After the last couple threads that basically got hijacked by 50FA or Whisker, I ended up putting both on ignore because I got tired of their stories taking up 3/4 of a page and drowning out the other goon stories.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

deadwing posted:

yo whatup fam I really like reading random people's spooky short stories, the problem is that a lot of them suck, and there's not much content produced here anymore which is bad because a lot of the ones from here were good

so I am here to trawl r/nosleep and repost the actual good stories in this here thread

here's the first one

like a lot of the stories on reddit I think this one goes a little too far in the conclusion with the whole head in the window thing and would have been more effective if it reinforced the weird dog proportions to even spookier levels instead of oooooo a head 2 spooky but this one's pretty good and way better than most of the poo poo posted there

i'll be back with more content freshly stolen from the reddits, I read 15 other highly rated but not very good stories to bring you this one

also too many stories are about kids being abused over there I mean what the gently caress reddit

Thanks for this, or not since gently caress sleeping well tonight. Poor Sandy. If you've come across any others I would e interested in seeing them. I think I'm too old to know how to navigate reddit. *shakes my cyber cane*

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Wedemeyer posted:

Thanks for this, or not since gently caress sleeping well tonight. Poor Sandy. If you've come across any others I would e interested in seeing them. I think I'm too old to know how to navigate reddit. *shakes my cyber cane*

I just read another fifteen or so of the month's "top" stories and they were all poo poo, I'll be sure to post if I read any good ones though

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

deadwing posted:

I just read another fifteen or so of the month's "top" stories and they were all poo poo, I'll be sure to post if I read any good ones though

quote:

I had to stop Dale. What he did to Jimmy's son was unthinkable. That rat bastard had gone way too far, and someone had to stop him. I had to find that bastard, but he disappeared after he did what he did. I knew who could find him though, but it would cost. The cost didn't matter none considering what was at stake.

No kidding. I'm sure everyone else has read them by now, but here's a good series. A US search and rescue officer relays various weird poo poo happening during their time on the job. Fair warning for child death and some gore.

https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3iex1h/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3ijnt6/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3iocju/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3jadum/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3kd90k/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3ppq81/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3sktwj/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

That set goes from Intriguing to 50ft Ant.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I had been planning on swooping into this thread and expressing the sentiment of "nosleep can suck but search and rescue's great" so... uh, no.
They are not 50 foot ant ever.
Later they start getting a cast of sorts and embellishing these weird events into a storyline, making them a little less believable, but there is no self insert or other 50 foot ant inanity. At no point is anyone more than helpless against whatever is in the woods, which no one ever comes close to knowing.
Also unlike 50 foot ant there's so much imagination being pumped into these stories, even in part 7 there are new surprises.

They really tap into the fear of being alone in the woods.
I think the number of people still being confused and shocked that the stories are now admitted not to be real attests to how well written they are. (whereas I doubt anyone beyond Old GBS could like any of the self indulgent trype 50 foot ant writes)
I especially like how bigfoot has been reinvented from just an undiscovered animal speces into a terrifying child-kidnapping bogeyman. Reminds me of "cowman talks funny" but made worse

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Acne Rain posted:

I had been planning on swooping into this thread and expressing the sentiment of "nosleep can suck but search and rescue's great" so... uh, no.
They are not 50 foot ant ever.
Later they start getting a cast of sorts and embellishing these weird events into a storyline, making them a little less believable, but there is no self insert or other 50 foot ant inanity. At no point is anyone more than helpless against whatever is in the woods, which no one ever comes close to knowing.
Also unlike 50 foot ant there's so much imagination being pumped into these stories, even in part 7 there are new surprises.

They really tap into the fear of being alone in the woods.
I think the number of people still being confused and shocked that the stories are now admitted not to be real attests to how well written they are. (whereas I doubt anyone beyond Old GBS could like any of the self indulgent trype 50 foot ant writes)
I especially like how bigfoot has been reinvented from just an undiscovered animal speces into a terrifying child-kidnapping bogeyman. Reminds me of "cowman talks funny" but made worse

You are correct. 50 ft Ant was never imaginative.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Khazar-khum posted:

That set goes from Intriguing to 50ft Ant.

How so? Maybe in the lengthiness, sure. I don't get the Uber Badass Hard-as-gently caress Protagonist vibe as they do defer to superiors and comrades when they're clueless. At least that author admits it's not real on their tumblr blog, unlike 50ftant.

By the way, there's some other stories on the tumblr too: http://searchandrescuewoods.tumblr.com/

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I liked 50ft Ant, and no I never believed it was real. Guess that makes me Old GBS.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I would have liked 50ft Ant's stories if he just said they were stories, rather than trying to play them off as ~based on a true story~.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Drink and Fight posted:

I liked 50ft Ant, and no I never believed it was real. Guess that makes me Old GBS.

Nah, pretty sure most people knew it wasn't real. He always did a good job covering it when people outright asked and whenever someone hypothesized that HumperMonkey was an alt account, but aside from the first couple stories, I don't think anyone believed a bunch of Nazi ghosts, a demon ice zombie, and some evil Irish sprite chick really exist. Especially in the same old German Army barracks.

I liked the stories until they started being hundreds of pages' worth of text, most of it focused on his trite "internal struggle" and creepy sex fantasies about women (including rape and torture).

Whisker suffered from the same "failure to wrap this poo poo up" syndrome as Ant. Also, it's never a good thing when you've seen so many variations of child molestation in someone's story that you start finding it boring instead of horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Whatever, I like schlock. Whisker's poo poo was downright unsettling though.

• Locked thread