Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I don't necessarily mind schlcok either but a long running fiction story isn't a ghost story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
well then could there be another thread

because I like well written spooky stories and I don't believe any of you

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The forest rescue guy posted a new story and is apparently writing a book

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Hi thread! I finally have something to contribute yay. Actually I have a few things to contribute since moving here.

Okay, my husband and I moved to WA, just North of Seattle, from Arizona a few months ago. Basically we moved up here to be with family and help my mom and grampa out with their house-- they bought the place after it had been abandoned for around four years. The previous owner died and left a poo poo ton of old lady stuff all over the house and in the attic (which I have cleaned maybe a third of so far) and they've had to deal with nicotine-covered walls, exploding pipes, shoddy electric from the 50's and all sorts of stuff. They're just too damned old to be climbing around trying to fix stuff when it breaks, and my husband and I have no problem doing it.

We're temporarily staying in this little 70's twenty-foot trailer until we get a bigger one. While the new trailer will go on the other side of the barn/garage in a little open area at the end of the property, the current one is between the garage and the back porch of the house. It's about two feet away from the garage, so there's not a lot of space for us to do much on that side except access the water/sewer/electric stuff for the trailer. There's also a ton of of rakes, pitchforks, shovels, 2x4s, and other old bullshit between the trailer and the wall. We're at the very rear of the property, with a bunch of garden stuff and power tools on tables between us and the parking for two of the family's four trucks. The property is just loving packed with tools, farm crap, all sorts of useless stuff we're trying to get rid of.

At night we leave the door to the trailer unlocked, and the back door to the house is unlocked so we can go in, shower, cook, whatever when we need to. The water pipes in it suck, and we had to patch through the garage electric just to have heat and lights-- until we get a new one, it's basically just a glorified, tiny bedroom with a pot to piss in.

Okay, anyway. First story:

The tiny-rear end trailer we're in has tarps over the top since it pretty much constantly rains here, and they flap and make a ton of noise, and the entire thing creaks and bangs when it's windy. We've also got a cat that lives with us so if we hear something strange we generally attribute it to her, or the weather, or the snake, or the possum that lives under the porch a few feet away. When you live in the equivalent of a creaky tent, noises just don't worry you like they used to.

So about two weeks ago, it's probably midnight or one, my husband and I were in bed and some squealing noise woke me up. It was kinda like branches on a window, except that we don't have any trees in our part of the yard. After maybe a minute, probably less, it stopped and I couldn't hear anything outside except the constant, gentle drizzle of rain.

Eventually I had to pee so I pulled myself up from the bed at the back of the trailer and went into the cramped bathroom. The windows in old trailer bathrooms are frosted, so you can't really see in, and there's usually enough light from the streetlights and from the reptile tank in the “kitchen” that I don't need to turn on a light.

As sat my rear end on the freezing plastic seat I realized that there was something outside the window. I squinted-- my vision gets blurry about five inches from my face and I don't put my glasses on to pee-- thinking that something had fallen against the window. It took me way too long to figure out that the things that were eye-level with me, and only about a foot away, were hands. Someone out there was pressing against the glass as if they were trying to push it open. That weird squeak of flesh on wet glass is what woke me up.

Through the frost I could see a round, pale thing that must have been a head, but there weren't any features. Even through the frosted glass I should have been able to see the eyes, a mouth, whatever was there. What the gently caress was a person doing in our yard, and how the hell could he fit between the trailer and the garage with all the crap back there?

After a minute of me frozen on the toilet, staring, the thing turned and slowly started moving toward the back of the trailer. The hands were dragged off the window and I could head them trailing over the metal wall.

As soon as I couldn't see it anymore, I leaped up and bolted to the front door. It's an old, broken, pain-in-the-rear end door and to get the lock mechanism to work you have to open it by an inch or so, then lock it and slam it shut. I quickly opened it, locked it, and pulled it shut as tightly as I could.

My husband rolled over but didn't wake up. Even though the rest of the trailer has thick light-blocking curtains, the though of that thing creeping around the bed (which has windows for walls on three sides) was terrifying. I got back into bed, curled up between man and cat, and got back to sleep a couple hours later. I didn't hear anything else on the glass; maybe the thing ran away when it heard me slam the door.

My husband has anxiety disorder. No way in gently caress am I telling him about the incident; other crap that has happened around the house has already bothered him enough. He can complain about a locked door in the morning all he wants.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I have the most controversial opinion on 50 Foot Ant's stories.
I thought they were okay. :v:

As far as nosleep goes, here is one story that I liked a lot:

""atbest" posted:

I've talked about my road trip on this board before. Sick to death of working myself to death, I took the first vacation of my life last year. A beat up rebuilt Yamaha Zuma and a foolish sense of optimism carried me across the western United States on an adventure that seriously made me rethink everything I thought I knew about the world.

I loved Seattle, with the hip original hippy neighborhoods and the perma-carnival atmosphere of Pike Place Market. The bridge troll was a highlight. Gotta love a city that sees a bridge and goes "You know what this needs? A giant concrete troll."

Getting out of Seattle, however, was a total nightmare. Restricted to back roads by a motor that capped at 40 miles an hour I must have gotten lost a dozen times despite all the help I received from baffled gas station attendants.

So I was behind schedule when it came to finding my campsite.

Some miles south and a little east of the city there's a free campground. It's most often used by horse riders and boy can you smell it. That's actually what guided me in the last few miles. There's a gravel road off of a service road and then a few crooked unpaved paths off of that. The trail markers were all bent, broken, or faded. In the end I had to follow my nose.

I set up my junior scout tent in the fading twilight. Mine was the only one there. I had the place all to myself.

After a quick meal of apples pilfered from a previous campground I did my usual travel log spiel to my video camera by lantern light before turning in.

I'm not sure how long I slept. I know I checked the time but I'll be damned if I can recall what it was. Something had disturbed my well earned beauty rest but I was too groggy to remember what it had been. I sat in a stupor, too alert to fall back asleep but too sleepy to be totally awake.

Something brushed the side of my tent and suddenly I was more awake than I'd ever been.

I had done plenty of camping by that point. I was familiar with the sounds of the usual nighttime critters, from raccoons to coyotes. Nothing had ever bothered me in my tent before, just snuffled around camp before wandering off and leaving me be.

From the sound of the footsteps, it was walking on two legs. That was a first. My mind immediately jumped to the worst possible conclusion: bear.

There's a lot of conflicting information out there about how to deal with bears and a lot of it depends on the type of bear. Sitting there in the dark with my heart beating in my throat I had no way of telling which species I was dealing with. Shout out or play dead?

I was thirty yards from a sturdy cement block outhouse that might be better shelter. As quietly as I dared, I slipped my boots on and got ready to dash. The tent zipper seemed impossibly loud in the night as I worked it open centimeter by centimeter. I moved agonizingly slowly.

Once outside I craned my neck around to see if the bear (if that's what it was) was between me and the outhouse. With the incredible illumination of the milky way I could see the campground clearly all the way to the treeline. There was nothing out there.

I could feel something watching me. It was like feeling an insect crawl along the back of my neck. There was no logical way for me to know something had it's eyes on me but out there in the dark, in the middle of nowhere all alone? I couldn't dismiss it.

Still on high alert I crept along and tried not to crunch the gravel under my feet too loudly. The outhouse was still my best bet. The door was propped open by a stone but inside there was a heavy duty bolt lock. I would have to spend the night surrounded by the smell of not only horse but also human poop but I figured that was a fair trade for not getting mauled or eaten.

My hand was on the latch when I heard the awful crunch of footsteps in gravel behind me. I kicked the stone propping the door open out of the way and slammed the heavy metal door shut, no longer caring how much noise I made.

Whatever was on the other side had thumbs. Something tugged on the door as I struggled to bolt it shut. I won, but it was close.

There was a metal mesh along the top of the structure for ventilation. Through it I heard the bellows of heavy breathing that matched my own.

My phone was back in my tent because I am an idiot. There was no way to tell time. The same stupid impulse that brought me out there in the first place kicked in. I had to know.

"Hello?"

Silence. Maybe they hadn't heard me. And then

"Hello?"

I could have poo poo myself; I was in the right place for it. The voice was feminine like my own and the sound of it was a kick to the gut. I couldn't even tell you why it made me so uneasy. The sensation was like when you're walking upstairs and you're expecting another step but your foot comes down on empty space.

"I'm sorry, I thought I was alone." I said.

"I'm alone."

Every syllable was jarring.

"I'm sorry I freaked out. I didn't think there was anyone else here."

"Sorry. I'm here."

You'd think now that I knew it was another camper I would have opened the door but I never did. Some deeply buried instinct kept me from taking my hand off the bolt.

"You scared the crap out of me. Are there more tent sites out in the trees or something?"

"I'm something. There are more."

Her words made me sick to my stomach. Again, I couldn't have even told you why, only that they did. From her odd syntax I guessed english wasn't her first language.

"Do you need to go? Use the bathroom, I mean. Because I'm going to be in here a while." That wasn't a lie. I wouldn't have opened that door if it was my own mother on the other side.

"You need to go."

Her grasp of english was improving with every sentence. There was something weird about that.

"Look, I'm sorry if I scared you but you started it by creeping around in the dark. I won't come out. Can you go somewhere else? I'll be gone in the morning, I promise. I just wanted to sleep in peace."

"You need to be gone. I promise you I creep in the dark. You won't be here in the morning."

Fear cemented my mouth shut. The more I spoke the more she did and I didn't want to hear her voice any more. I'm sure that makes me sound like a bigot or something but I had the feeling I was feeding words to her and the feeling was not pleasant. It felt like she was hungry for them.

The same instinct that told me to keep quiet the first time kept me from running my dumb mouth off again. I was either dealing with someone who was not mentally well or was something else entirely. There was a threat in her words or the way she spoke them and I had no doubt she would be able to carry out that threat.

I kept my hands on the bolt while they cramped and the first rays of sun crept sluggishly through the mesh at the top of the walls of my shelter. It wasn't until the sun was strong enough to make me sweat in my self imposed prison that I felt - brave? stupid? - enough to speak again.

"Hello? Are you still out there? Hello? Anyone?"

There was no answer, which was the best outcome I could hope for. I opened the door.

My tent was untouched, at least from a distance. The oppressive feeling of being watched had dissipated. I dressed and broke down camp in record time. My moped cranked to life but it wasn't until I went to put my helmet on that I saw the footprint.

I'd kicked that rock pretty far. It was close to my bike. Naturally, I went over to it. I had to know.

In a clear outline of fresh mud there was a single print on the smooth grey of the stone. Not human, but a hoof like that of an unshod horse or goat. It was so fresh, so vivid. It hadn't been there last night when I used the bathroom before I'd gone to bed.

In the soft mud in front of the outhouse door were more of the same, some of them on top of my own boot prints.

If you want to go looking for whatever the hell it was, be my guest. Just be careful with your words out there. Because I figured out what was wrong with that voice when I watched the playback of my travel log video.

It was my own.
There's a couple of minor updates on the linked story page.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Quoting myself from the old thread, as I wanted to update the story and save myself having to tell it all again.

princecoo posted:

I've posted before in the thread, about some of the weird things I've experienced, mostly in Roma, Queensland but this poo poo takes the cake.

A couple of weeks ago I was going to go Brisbane (my states capital city - Queensland, Australia) by plane for a union meeting, but I'd be away for a few days and my wife is studying her masters degree (in med science if anyone is interested) and she wasn't looking forward to studying/doing assessment with our 2 kids running around (aged 2 and 3) without my help.

So I contacted my parents who live in Mitchell (89km west of Roma) and they agreed to take the boys for a few days. My dad was supposed to come pick them up but got caught up doing something so I drove them out to Mitchell.

That was fine, I had a nice visit and stayed for dinner, then left at around 7pm. As I left Mitchell I realised that the light in the back of the car was still on. The car is a 2013 model Holden Captiva, an AWD SUV and I guess one of the kids must have pressed the light on while we were unloading their stuff from the back. I was going to pull over and turn it off but decided to wait since the sides of the road are pretty lovely out there and I didn't want to get a flat tire.

Anyway, I continued along for a while and for those playing at home with a map, I had just gone through Amby (kind of like a halfway point between Mitchell and Roma, it's a town with a pub, a general store and a fire station, not much else) when I glanced in my rear view mirror and did a double take.

There was a woman sitting in the rear passenger seat.

I got a good long look in the mirror. She looked like she could be pretty, but her face itself was just shadows, I think because of the light on in the back of the vehicle. She wore a black off the shoulder shirt/blouse. She had a long neck, and the shirt had I suppose what you'd call a medium neckline. Her hair was black or dark, with a fringe. She sat and just looked out the window.

After getting a good look and making sure I wasn't seeing a trick of the light or something, I did a shoulder check, and yep, still there real as anything.

So now I'm freaking out. I know there was no-one in the car when I left Mitchell, and I didn't stop at all.

I decided to talk. I asked her if I could help her, and if she was alright. No answer. She just kept staring out the window.

I didn't stop, I just kept driving, mirror checking constantly and shoulder checking occasionally to make sure I wasn't halucinating. At one point she noiselessly and instantly switched sides, and was sitting behind me, which freaked me out even more. But she just kept staring out the window, but then she went back to the other side again.

She stayed there until we got to Muckadilla (pub, police station, town hall) and I checked my speed to slow down as we passed through, and she was gone when I looked up. Never came back.

I'm a critic, I'll admit that, but I have zero explanation for that. I never felt in danger or threatened, just really freaked that there was someone I didn't know in my car. She never even looked at me.

This is the only first-hand experience I've had that I can't just pass off as something explainable.

That was in November of 2014. Since then, I have seen the woman maybe 6 more times, under nearly identical circumstances. I was told by my father that he remembers a girl and her two brothers flipping their vehicle along that stretch of highway, killing them all back in the 70's. I have looked into this in quite a lot of depth, even going so far as to speak with my doctor about possible hallucinations. I'm fine. My mother has always said it was unlikely for me to get the same hallucination, at the same times, at the same place, but never anywhere else.

I looked into records as far back as the 1800s, scoured local archives and generally done more research on this than is probably healthy, and found nothing. I can't even corroborate my fathers car accident idea, so I guess he got the stretch of road wrong.

I have not seen her for a couple of months. My encounters have not changed; she still just sits quietly and, I feel, sadly, until the approach to Muckadilla, and disappears. Once she did sit up front, and I got to see more of her - specifically the jeans I thought she must have been wearing the first few times turned out to be a dark skirt with small white flowers printed on it. I have still not seen her face, but I get the impression that she is pretty, from the semi-profile I can see, as she never stops looking out the window.

I don't know.

Anyway, a new story.

When my wife and I had our first son, we set up the spare room into a nursery. His name is Zachary, and he is 4, as of September just gone. We've since had Samuel, who is 3 in February.
Anyway, when Zach was only a few months old, he was in his cot, and I was in this rocking chair we have next to the cot. Our routine was to rock him to sleep in the chair, then put him to bed in the cot. Occasionally he would fuss a bit when put in the cot, so we'd sit in the chair and hold his hand or pat his back through the bars.

He had fallen asleep, so I stood up - at which point a laminated placemat with his name on it and a cartoon picture of a pirate on a beach fell from the ceiling, and down the wall opposite. It was part of a goody bag sent to us from my wifes parents, and it had somehow been picked up and stuck to the roof for the entirety of bedtime. My wife and I are far too short to reach the roof without a ladder (even with a chair we can barely reach light sockets) and I remember seeing the placemat on the ground wit his toys earlier in the evening.

So what moved it?

I've said it before: I'm a critic. In the years since, I guess I'd thought that our ducted air conditioning system might have, somehow, lifted the mat up. Maybe my standing changed the airflow/pressure in the room somehow and allowed it to drop.

Now, I'm not so sure.

My wife has taken the children to Cairns, a good 16 hours drive from home, for Christmas with her family. I had to work, and truth be told, don't exactly get along with my in-laws anyway, so I stayed home alone. It's been great. I've been able to sleep in, get some work done on the house, redo the driveway and finish the front gate - allowing us to finally get our dog home (he was in a spot of trouble for being an escape artist).

Saturday, I was woken by wet licks to the face, and the big, heavy and above all very affectionate paws of our Husky/Malamute Thor. It was 5:30am, and he needed to pee. So I got up, let him out, then returned to bed. I had barely started to drift off again when there was an almight crash and lego was everywhere.

Zachary loves his lego. He has a big plastic box full of it, and he makes all kinds of fantastic things, which he claims to custom tailor for us - until they inevitably need to be dismantled for something new. The day before they left for Cairns, Sam decided to throw a tantrum and emptied the box all over their room. Zachary was displeased, and pushed his brother over. The punishment was the lego goes away. We put it all back in the plastic tub, and it went into our room, on a trunk next to my wifes dresser. There it sat, level and pushed back against the wall, all week.

Until at 5:30am Saturday morning, when it abruptly got flung across the room.
My first thought, of course, was the dog. But the dog was outside, no doubt watering the orange tree. The cat? The cat has been hiding in the shed since the dog came home.

So, in light of what I have now witnessed on that lonely stretch of highway, I no longer seek to jump to any conclusions, or try to explain away these things.

I just hope this is as exciting as these... encounters get.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

princecoo posted:

I've said it before: I'm a critic.
I'm a critic too:

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Okay.

MattJim
Sep 2, 2011
Well I enjoyed it!

Nichole
Nov 5, 2009
I enjoyed it as well, thanks for sharing.

And thank you to everyone who posts the good stories from No Sleep. I hate trying to wade through all the creative writing exercises there to find the actually good stories. Search and Rescue was pretty decent. The only thing that kept getting me was whenever the stairs were mentioned I remember that stupid old thing that goons made up to try to spot each other in the real world. Something about if you thought someone might be a goon instead of just asking them like a normal person you asked them if they had stairs in their house.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Nichole posted:

And thank you to everyone who posts the good stories from No Sleep. I hate trying to wade through all the creative writing exercises there to find the actually good stories. Search and Rescue was pretty decent. The only thing that kept getting me was whenever the stairs were mentioned I remember that stupid old thing that goons made up to try to spot each other in the real world. Something about if you thought someone might be a goon instead of just asking them like a normal person you asked them if they had stairs in their house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E0ot9iJm_k

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nichole posted:

The challenge is a time honored goon tradition and you shall not speak ill of it! I've never tried it or been asked it ever though.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

The freakiest thing about the SAR stories, to my mind, is that the dude is claiming he made them all up. The drat stairs --someone must've told him about them, and I believe he embroidered the stories for posting purposes, but I swear to God those fuckers are real. I've seen them, in some unincorporated wilderness near Canandaigua Lake in upstate New York, and my extremely skeptical parents have seen them too, in the early 70s, while backpacking in the Canadian Rockies.

The ones I saw were not too far away from civilization -- distances in the Finger Lakes are not great -- but they distinguished themselves from the random falling-down redneck architecture that litters the region by being entirely too new-looking and clean for having nothing whatsoever around them. No foundations, no chimney or fireplace, no sign that anything was ever there apart from the stairs. They were maybe five feet high and made of particle board, with peel-and-stick linoleum tile on the steps. I was ten or eleven, and I couldn't tell you why they freaked me out so much. I also never found them again despite knowing the terrain pretty well, which made me feel like an idiot when I tried to show them to my brother.

My mom says that the stairs she and my dad saw were way the gently caress out in Middle of Nowhere, western Alberta. Nothing manmade for miles and miles except this staircase, which was a little bigger than the one I saw and looked aged, like something you'd find in an old hotel or saloon. She described the experience as spooky in its lack of spookiness. She and my dad, experienced backpackers both, went "huh stairs" and moved on and it didn't occur to them until much later how peculiar it was. I only found out about this after I found the SAR stories and casually asked Mom if she'd ever seen anything unusual in her years tromping around in the woods.

They were just stairs. No wendigos, no time warp, no missing body parts -- only stairs, but still goddamned strange and I'd forgotten all about them until I read those stories. Eesh.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Since nobody seems to have got the joke, you meant that you're a skeptic, i.e. someone who doesn't believe something until presented with a rational explanation, not that you're a critic, i.e. someone who judges the merit of art. :eng101:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nice thread tag.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
I just burned through them all and I think the success of the SAR stories is that he mixes in stories with no supernatural elements at all. It lends some level of credibility that like a third of the stories are just kinda sad animal attacks or tragic accidents.

I do kinda find it hokey when he starts on with the stuff like "Now I haven't seen the Goatman but this drinking buddy of mine told me..."

Overall they are a good read.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

spite house posted:

The freakiest thing about the SAR stories, to my mind, is that the dude is claiming he made them all up. The drat stairs --someone must've told him about them, and I believe he embroidered the stories for posting purposes, but I swear to God those fuckers are real. I've seen them, in some unincorporated wilderness near Canandaigua Lake in upstate New York, and my extremely skeptical parents have seen them too, in the early 70s, while backpacking in the Canadian Rockies.

I've seen the stairs in North Stonington, Ct, around 1979, up in the woods off Lantern Hill Road. The ones I saw were brand new looking with those tack on tread covers. I'm sure there's some silly mundane reason for them, but I can't imagine what.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Once I wnet out mi nthe fields. and I saw a bony tre.e

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
How long are those S&R stories? Any chance of getting them posted in this thread? Pretty much every website is blocked where I work (How SA slipped through the crack I'll never know, but I'm eternally grateful) but they sound pretty interesting.

If they're dead long then no worries.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The SAR stories were good but reusing the faceless man more than once and building the dread around the staircases with zero payoff or explanation as to why they should be feared was a bit much. And then it gets to the point where the forest you work in is piled with dismembered corpses and you wonder how the park stays open at all. It's hard to suspend disbelief and maintain immersion in long, multi-part stories like that.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

ChogsEnhour posted:

How long are those S&R stories? Any chance of getting them posted in this thread? Pretty much every website is blocked where I work (How SA slipped through the crack I'll never know, but I'm eternally grateful) but they sound pretty interesting.

If they're dead long then no worries.

I didn't repost them because subreddit requests that you don't unless you get permission from the authors. The first one is 1384, second is 3985, third is 4314, fourth is 4905, etc. So I guess usually about 4 thousand words each, including brief intro and exitro.

Maybe you can save them to your email drafts, or send them to your personal email, if you have access on your computer? Or save the whole webpage. Spoiling yourself mildly isn't a big deal if you see the end paragraphs, as it's a couple short blurb/tales in a single entry. Not a shyamalan What A Twist! type novel.

By the way, same guy has a new one up. Please Avoid Open Water: https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3xxhzh/please_avoid_open_water/ This one is 2346 words long.

The first two paragraphs, which might e able to tell you if you like the writing style and where it might be going:

quote:

I can't really talk about what I do. It's not that it's classified or anything, but it's definitely a specialized field, and the last thing I need is for someone I know to read this and report it to my bosses, which they almost certainly would do. What we do, we have to be really mentally on our game, because if we're not a lot of things can go wrong really quickly, and a lot of money can be lost. A lot of your money, frankly, since your taxes are going toward funding the things I need to do my job. What I can tell you is that what I do involves me being out on the open ocean for long periods of time, in a very small submersible that is capable of going down a very, very long way. It sounds a lot more exciting than it is, I can promise you that, but it's an interesting job, to say the least. Although it's a lot more cramped in there than you'd ever believe. This is not a job for the claustrophobic. It's also not a job for people that are easily scared, or prone to any kind of panic. I'm a level-headed guy, I don't scare easily, and I'm pretty small, so I was sort of uniquely suited to this work. I really enjoy it, actually.
The only thing I don't enjoy is what I want to talk to you guys about. Or, rather, give you a heads-up about.

We started noticing them about a year ago, when I was doing some research at a pretty shallow depth, all things considering. At first we thought it was just some kind of weird camera anomaly, because the pressure really messes with things down here. We have a camera mounted on a little arm that extends from the sub. There's a few arms that do different things, but the one with the camera is important because that's how we can record things like sulfur lakes near volcanoes, which is something we didn't know existed until recently. But as I mentioned, the pressure can really take a toll on the equipment, and glitches are to be expected.

Some other interesting ones that, in my opinion, are relatively decent. Better than that 'tee hee here's how to lose weight girls!! Get pragnant then miscarry' bullshit.

The Shadows of The Woods [2907 words]
https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3zi6ad/the_shadows_of_the_woods/
Gets a little cheesy gore-y, but it's a quick read. The ending reminded me of a tale from the wendiggo thread, where a bunch of Native kids on a reervation were doing some dare to run away from a road to touch a rock or cactus at night, and when they were running ack to the main road, they heard huge running things jogging along with them.

Room 733 [7307 words]
https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/2jxke8/room_733/
A bit conversation heavy, but it's no John Galty monologuing. Just two college students and room troubles. HAUNTED room troubles.

I Was An Air Traffic Controller
Part 1: https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/2unmhs/i_was_an_air_traffic_controller_at_atlantic/ [3064 words]
Part 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3fvrlw/i_was_an_air_traffic_controller_at_atlantic/ [3221 words]
This one I really recommend reading. Strange things happening at an airfield in the middle of bumfuck. Though I can't say I enjoyed the ending.

A Campfire Story [1761 words]
https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/2ioklx/a_campfire_story/
Not so terrifying, but still enjoyable imo. It's a campfire tale.

I've been getting strange letters from the St. Louis prison [1602 words]
https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3i8bzr/ive_been_getting_strange_letters_from_the_st/
Short but sweet. Like out of a compilation novel, though maybe one aimed for a teen crowd. No explicit gore, at least. Premise falls apart if you think too hard though.

Hey /r/relationships....
part 1: https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/2aszwl/hey_rrelationships_i_finally_took_the_plunge_and/ [1657 words]
part 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/2ayfh2/hey_rrelationships_part_2/ [2962 words]
Has anyone heard of V. C. Andrews?

---------------------

edit because it's not worth a second post:

Oh hey by the way, if you see a story called 'pete the moonshiner' it's actually about child rape. So don't bother. Spoiler: two boys tell a third boy a scary story and that makes them lock themselves in a bedroom--for a sleepover?? idk???--and in the morning the third boy wakes up with no memory and a pain in the bowels. Then when the third boy is in college lab he smells ether, which the othrs kids were drugging third boy with to rape him. Tada that's the whole loving worthless unimaginative bullshit story.

value-brand cereal has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Jan 5, 2016

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Wedemeyer posted:

I didn't repost them because subreddit requests that you don't unless you get permission from the authors. The first one is 1384, second is 3985, third is 4314, fourth is 4905, etc. So I guess usually about 4 thousand words each, including brief intro and exitro.

Thanks for this. I figured they'd be a bit too long. I'll figure something out, thanks for the links!

BondSworeSuccinctly
Oct 27, 2007

Does anyone have a link to that short story about Hitler raising an army of the undead during WWII and being defeated by Jack Churchill and the psychic warfare division or something like that? Its a pretty amusing tale, but I cant seem to find it anywhere.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Wedemeyer posted:

Maybe you can save them to your email drafts, or send them to your personal email, if you have access on your computer? Or save the whole webpage. Spoiling yourself mildly isn't a big deal if you see the end paragraphs, as it's a couple short blurb/tales in a single entry. Not a shyamalan What A Twist! type novel.

By the way, same guy has a new one up. Please Avoid Open Water: https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3xxhzh/please_avoid_open_water/ This one is 2346 words long.

The first two paragraphs, which might e able to tell you if you like the writing style and where it might be going:

Some other interesting ones that, in my opinion, are relatively decent. Better than that 'tee hee here's how to lose weight girls!! Get pragnant then miscarry' bullshit.

The Shadows of The Woods [2907 words]
https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3zi6ad/the_shadows_of_the_woods/
Gets a little cheesy gore-y, but it's a quick read. The ending reminded me of a tale from the wendiggo thread, where a bunch of Native kids on a reervation were doing some dare to run away from a road to touch a rock or cactus at night, and when they were running ack to the main road, they heard huge running things jogging along with them.

Room 733 [7307 words]
https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/2jxke8/room_733/
A bit conversation heavy, but it's no John Galty monologuing. Just two college students and room troubles. HAUNTED room troubles.

I Was An Air Traffic Controller
Part 1: https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/2unmhs/i_was_an_air_traffic_controller_at_atlantic/ [3064 words]
Part 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3fvrlw/i_was_an_air_traffic_controller_at_atlantic/ [3221 words]
This one I really recommend reading. Strange things happening at an airfield in the middle of bumfuck. Though I can't say I enjoyed the ending.

A Campfire Story [1761 words]
https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/2ioklx/a_campfire_story/
Not so terrifying, but still enjoyable imo. It's a campfire tale.

I've been getting strange letters from the St. Louis prison [1602 words]
https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3i8bzr/ive_been_getting_strange_letters_from_the_st/
Short but sweet. Like out of a compilation novel, though maybe one aimed for a teen crowd. No explicit gore, at least. Premise falls apart if you think too hard though.

Hey /r/relationships....
part 1: https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/2aszwl/hey_rrelationships_i_finally_took_the_plunge_and/ [1657 words]
part 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/2ayfh2/hey_rrelationships_part_2/ [2962 words]
Has anyone heard of V. C. Andrews?

---------------------

edit because it's not worth a second post:

Oh hey by the way, if you see a story called 'pete the moonshiner' it's actually about child rape. So don't bother. Spoiler: two boys tell a third boy a scary story and that makes them lock themselves in a bedroom--for a sleepover?? idk???--and in the morning the third boy wakes up with no memory and a pain in the bowels. Then when the third boy is in college lab he smells ether, which the othrs kids were drugging third boy with to rape him. Tada that's the whole loving worthless unimaginative bullshit story.

Most of these were pretty good. Nice find!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I've been rereading some of the older threads, and while 50ft ant makes it pretty loving impossible at times, there's some gems in there. This one I like:

Abbott Costello posted:

I love these threads, and have been looking forward to reading these tales, always a bit bummed that I've never had anything to contribute. Until this summer.

Definitely isn't super scary, but it's certainly something I can't explain.

Back in June, I was trying desperately to sleep; Chicago,IL had received one of its first real heat waves, and the only A/C unit is in the wall near my dining room. For the entire time I've lived here, (5+ years), my room has always been ungodly warm. My bed is this huge monstrosity that dang near takes up most of the room, and for comfort, I'd placed a large box fan near the foot of my bed (on the foot board). I tried to lull myself to sleep, watching Mythbusters.

It was halfway through the first show, when I'd... I'm not sure I want to say "sensed", but... something was different. I looked down to see if my cat, Renfield was scuttling about the bed, when I noticed the fan was moved. I'd placed it near the right side of my bed, but it was now in the middle of the foot board. Odd, but I figured it was on pretty high, so it may have jostled over, somehow. So, I moved it back and then placed some books to anchor it on either side. I went back to watching the show, and settled in under my sheet, finally getting to that cozy stage before succumbing to sleep.

I started to feel pretty warm for someone with a fan on them, so I rearranged the sheets a bit to cool down. That didn't work, so I sat up to fix the pillows and turn on my other side. When I sat up, the books on the left side of the fan and the fan itself were back in the middle of the bed. Now, I was curious. The books weren't super heavy, but enough to stop a fan escaping. I tried to think of what would have happened. My next logical thought was that maybe, Renfield stepped on the cord, and it moved. I'm not sure why I would not have heard that, but it's not uncommon. Happy with my genius, I moved the fan and books back and attempted to sleep again. Silly me.

Renfield finally came to bed, and mewed to get my attention, and headbutted me so that I'd wake enough to pet him. I chanced a glance at the fan, and it was where I'd left it. I was getting cranky from not being able to sleep now, so I decided I'd just take one more bathroom trip and then get a quick drink of water. When I returned, the fan was back in the middle of the foot board. I gave in, and stated to no one in particular, "Thanks for telling me you're here, although it's a little warm, and I can't sleep with the fan moving off of me. Stay, if you like, but please leave my fan alone tonight. Thanks!"

This time, when I hit the pillow, I was out like a light. In the morning the fan was right where it was supposed to be. I called my mom to tell her about the incident, and she thought about it. "What day is it?" I told her it was June 29th. "Ah," she said, "that must've been your uncle; it's his birthday."

So, that's my story; I'm still trying to think of logical reasons for the fan moving, but it's also nice to think that my uncle was telling me "Hey! I'm here!" He was a joker in life, so I can see that happening.

The fan started moving again a couple days ago, so after the third wake up, I just talked again. "Thanks for letting me know you're here; I'm not sure if it's [uncle], Daddy, or someone else, but please don't move my fan again tonight. Please, give me a different sign."

I dreamed of my cat, Squeakers, that passed away. He was so big in life that when he died, the doc asked, "Do you know how much he weighs? Our scales only go up to 25lbs..."

Now I understand how the cord could move the fan and the books. A rather hefty ghost cat could've potentially stepped on the cord in an effort to mosey about the room. I suppose I won't really know

:kimchi: ghost cat, woo ooh :love:

Woops I hit post too soon. The second one I like which is from one of the creepy monster / cryptid threads:

Romanshoes:

I have an allegedly true windigo/wendigo story, courtesy of my dad and several of his friends. One of them claims to have lived in the area where this happened and was six or seven when it happened, so it was probably in the early/mid-'60s.

Gray Eyes Man, or Even Awesome Old Indians Are Eaten By Young Demons

This took place somewhere in northern Saskatchewan, in a mostly Native American area. A few miles into the woods from the main town, there was a small lake with an island. An old man lived in the cabin on the island - an old Assiniboine named Gray Eyes Man. If he wanted to go to town in the summer, he would canoe across the lake. If it was winter and the lake was frozen, he would snowshoe across. He didn't go to town much - he was sort of a survivalist, could maybe be considered a hermit. Still, he was very well regarded by the community, mostly because every winter there was a pack of wolves who liked to walk across the ice and chill on Gray Eyes Man's island. Old Indian guy who doesn't care that there are about twenty wolves scratching at his door? Old Indian guy who lets those wolves sleep on his rug? Old Indian guy who wears traditional clothing everywhere and is friends with wolves and lives the traditional way and doesn't talk to white guys on principle? Oh yeah, he gets his respect.

One year, Gray Eyes Man gets the last of his supplies from town, snowshoes across the lake, and closes the door - he probably won't be seen until spring. The next day, a really bad blizzard whips up. A younger guy, maybe in his twenties, gets lost in the snow. They can't send out a search and rescue team because the storm is too bad, and by the time it stops there's pretty much no hope for the lost guy. Honestly, the biggest chance he has of surviving is stumbling across the frozen lake onto Gray Eyes Man's island, and the chances of that have got to be astronomical. His family has a memorial service.

Winter passes, there are some more bad storms, you can hear the wolves howling, and finally spring comes. The wolves scamper across the remaining chunks of ice, looking thinner than they usually do. That's weird: usually Gray Eyes Man feeds them like they're dogs. Speaking of which, where is Gray Eyes Man? He hasn't been seen in months. Usually he comes to town when the wolves leave. Someone should go check on him. Two guys volunteer to do so.

They get to the cabin and notice first the gigantic pile of firewood. It doesn't look like it's been touched in a while. Second thing they notice is the door, which has been pulled down. Oh, man. Either Gray Eyes Man lived the whole winter with no door, or he's dead.

They go inside to make sure and immediately run back out.

Police come and take the body - the bodies - away. Two bodies. One of Gray Eyes Man, one of someone wearing the young guy's clothes, the young guy who got lost way back at the beginning of winter. Both of them look like they've been chewed by wolves. No, scratch that. Young guy has wolf marks all over him, some of his bones are missing, everything's been gnawed on. Gray Eyes Man is definitely missing some pieces, but he isn't a skeleton. He's frozen, looks like a mummy. And those bite marks aren't wolf teeth. More like - hey - that...

Gray Eyes Man had been attacked by the younger guy. There are chunks missing. He had his throat chewed open, has fingernail marks across his chest, bite marks.

The young guy had turned into a windigo and killed a member of the pack before the wolves could break down the door.

Moral of the story: Do not let strangers into your cabin in winter. They will eat you.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Wendigos are always hiding in blizzards and remote cabins. Grey Eyes knew how to deal with them, but once they get in...well, you know.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I'm starting to think it's about time someone makes one of these threads for 2016... I'm tired of reading anti-Semitic conspiracies on /x/ when I could be reading bomb-rear end ghost stories

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

There's new woods search and rescue stories

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I'm starting to think it's about time someone makes one of these threads for 2016... I'm tired of reading anti-Semitic conspiracies on /x/ when I could be reading bomb-rear end ghost stories

Maybe just an all encompassing thread would be good. It's a bit late to make it for 2016 in the middle of the year, I think. I can't write for poo poo, but maybe I can repost some tales from the archives?

value-brand cereal has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Aug 31, 2016

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I recently discovered that The Dionaea House has sequels to it, which I guess could be interesting to anyone who hasn't read them.
The second one is here with an offshoot at the end leading into the third one and the last addition being here. Apparently they were going to make a movie out of it which is cool, but it never got off the ground.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
ectoplasmic titties crying out for vengeance

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Any links to the/another thread? I generally post from the Awful app it makes it hard to search.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

DerekSmartymans posted:

Any links to the/another thread? I generally post from the Awful app it makes it hard to search.

Hit up the OP of this one. Should have just about everything.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone listen to the nosleep podcast? I've been going through it at work and the quality is so incredibly hit or miss it's insane. I'm wondering if they save the good stories for the paid version.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm not your golden boy!!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i shall tell you a story, when i was a little boy i went to a place called ghost island. i swam out there with my own two hands. now ghost island wasn't really called that, it was actually called ghoul rock but all the local kids called it ghost island because they're mischievous little scamps. anyway ghost island was shaped like a giant ghost in a bedsheet or if you're feeling uncharitable maybe a fat little chode (except large and granite) and in the early evenings the wind would howl through it with a sound like the mournful cry of a ghost, it was said that if you set a paper boat on fire it would sail straight for the shores of ghost island and that on the 1st day of october you could see women walking on the shallow water around its reefs which were honestly pretty lovely reefs, i think they're all dead now, it's an oil refinery. anyway the ghosts were all the women who'd died on ghost island, such as nude nellie who'd died of hypothermia and anguished annabelle who fell off the high bluff while playing pokemon go, the silly bitch

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
local children used to row out to ghost island in pairs and the legend went that if the boat sank and both the kids drowned, as usually happened, they were destined to be together and get married and now it would never happen. however if they managed to make it all the way across to those quiet and ashen sands they would see a vision of themselves as elderly people. my best friend saw himself in seventy years winning the meat raffle at south campsie bowling club and he was never the same after that. on the day i went to ghost island i went alone and mostly by accident because i have no sense of direction and was just looking for the loo. the island was much colder than the mainland and the moment i stepped onto the shore i felt unseen eyes watching me. turns out it was a crab and i was fine, i didn't die, i didn't even have a vision, all in all it was a pretty boring experience really. sorry this isn't a great ghost story but it's the best i can do. as for scary poo poo the other day i saw a guy driving down the main street apparently naked with a pig in the back of his car

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
2 spooky 4 me

Avshalom posted:

anyway the ghosts were all the women who'd died on ghost island, such as nude nellie who'd died of hypothermia and anguished annabelle who fell off the high bluff while playing pokemon go, the silly bitch

i laughed

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Len posted:

Anyone listen to the nosleep podcast? I've been going through it at work and the quality is so incredibly hit or miss it's insane. I'm wondering if they save the good stories for the paid version.

I've noticed the excessive swearing (to make the story feel more real, I guess) prevalent in most creepypasters sounds even stupider and out of place when it's read aloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

the nosleep podcast is trash. maybe check out pseudopod

• Locked thread