Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is it actually spooky? Most of the stories on nosleep aren't in the slightest. And a disproportionate number seem to involve bad things happening to children because that's the spookiest thing ever apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Is it actually spooky? Most of the stories on nosleep aren't in the slightest. And a disproportionate number seem to involve bad things happening to children because that's the spookiest thing ever apparently.

they read short stories written by actual authors so some of them are.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the nosleep podcast is trash. maybe check out pseudopod

Does it stick to spooky and eerie

I tried one spooky story podcast, forgot which one, and it featured a lame story about slowly dying in a stuck elevator with nothing paranormal

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Also it's maybe a grab bag of themes and topics, but The Edge of Nightfall has some old radio plays that are sometimes horror / ghost stories: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheEdgeOfNightfall/videos

Some videos on Frosted Mini Fears is audiobooks of horror / ghost stories accompanied by unsettling or interesting video imagery. It's sometimes a crapshoot: https://www.youtube.com/user/FrostedMiniFears/videos

Midnight Marinara has both humorous, not taking it seriously audiobooks of stories from creepypasta and other horror / ghost tales:
This is the 'serious stuff' playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIP-JSgz_uW9EFXAgToXarGn_lukLsx46
Note: you may need to skip a bit ahead into videos to avoid the long, mildly obnoxious intros.

I wish there were more quality audio recordings like thelittlefears youtube channel but I suppose you get what you can get.

value-brand cereal has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Aug 31, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wedemeyer posted:

Apparently their way of writing stories--short, bullet list type blurbs and the like--became so popular that it was banned from nosleep and now their stories get deleted on sight. Even if they good and not poo poo stories like 'scary sociopath child murders animals omg help'.

That doesn't surprise me. Subreddits have the worst goddamn rules.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.

Wedemeyer posted:

I wish there were more quality audio recordings like thelittlefears youtube channel but I suppose you get what you can get.

Bigtime. Thelittlefears was fantastic. Creepy stories, well produced, in an even tone. Too many people that do this try to "act" or they haven't rehearsed at all and mispronounce words and sound like they're reading.

I don't have a link since I'm on my phone, but I'd also like to hear more like the Kimberly Story. It's not a great story, but the guy telling it is really convincing and has the gift of gab and makes it really engaging.

Is there anything out there like that?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

samu3lk posted:

Bigtime. Thelittlefears was fantastic. Creepy stories, well produced, in an even tone. Too many people that do this try to "act" or they haven't rehearsed at all and mispronounce words and sound like they're reading.

I don't have a link since I'm on my phone, but I'd also like to hear more like the Kimberly Story. It's not a great story, but the guy telling it is really convincing and has the gift of gab and makes it really engaging.

Is there anything out there like that?

Unfortunately not. Getting the atmosphere just right seems to take some audio technical finagling as well as some skill in voice acting that most hobbyists don't have just yet. The closets I would think is the Edge of Nightfall ones. I think they did The Thing on the Fourble Board? Unless the one of Quiet, Please is a different recording. I can't check right now, sorry.

Some other youbtube channels. I haven't listen to everything on the channels but most seem pretty decent? It can be hit or miss since stories are written by a variety of people.

Sort of like TheLittleFears baby sister: Mithril Audio. Some background atmosphere, decent voice acting that doesn't stumble and comes across as pretty beleiveable, the audio is clear. Thoughthere's no accompanying video, which isn't really a knock against them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoKw9LnjOa3wY3n1rDXxHeg

And Creeparoni is the middle sibling of the thelittlefears ghost family. Pretty good stories, voice acting, and ghost / horror stories. Plus they have some interesting video footage to go alone with it. Some stories are pretty garbage, but the VA didn't write them so I can't blame them for it.

I Read Creepy Pastas is another youtube for horror stories. Their voice acting is pretty good and not monotone stumbling, though you will be aware of the microphone due to puffing and such. I haven't listened to everything on their playlist, I think they're pretty good if anyone wants to check them out.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

So my friend Beau invited me to his parents house in Munfordville, KY which is about half an hour outside of Cave City and Mammoth Cave national park. We get there and find out his house is an old plantation.

Beau and his parents show us around and I keep getting this weird fearful feeling centered around this one door. I ask about it and, turns out, it's the cellar. Beau tells me this places original owner owned slaves and whenever they would misbehave, they would be chained up in this freezing, windowless cellar.

If that wasn't weird enough, it was also the site of a civil war battle with a handful of Union and Confederate soldiers dying on the property.

So anyways, Beaus parents leave him the keys and we get ready for bed. Sometime in the middle of the night, I heard this loud clack sound coming from upstairs, kinda like something heavy and metal landing on the wooden floor We were all sleeping in the living room on the main floor. It was loud enough to wake up my friends. About two minutes later, we hear it again. We were all still a little drunk and trying to be tough dudes so we charge upstairs but couldn't find anything out of place. The second we get back down to the main floor we hear it again. I was pretty scared at this point so I try to go back to sleep with a pillow over my head to muffled the sound.

The next morning Beau tells me he heard it two more times with nothing seemingly out of place. Whatever. We laugh it off as us being drunk and freaking each other out. So we go out to the porch and have a smoke. While outside we hear a loud BANG coming from inside. We go back in to see the cellar door hanging wide open with a dent in the drywall where the knob had hit.

That's when we decide to make a day out of hanging around all the tourist traps in Cave City. I haven't been back there since.

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.
So this happened today. I live in a high rise apartment building in South Korea (not in Seoul). My friend "K" came over and walked into my house looking a bit shaken. She parked in the underground parking garage and as she walked around the corner to get to the elevator, she saw someone's shadow walking into the elevator as the doors closed. She hurried up and pushed the button, hoping to catch the elevator before it went up. The doors opened and she walked in and no one was in there.

She hit the button for the sixth floor (my floor) and the elevator went up. It stopped at the third floor - no one got on, no one in the hall. Then it arrived at the sixth floor and she came to my apartment.

The second elevator, she noticed while waiting in the garage level for the elevator doors to open, was up on the 15th floor. When she exited on the sixth floor, the second elevator was still on the 15th floor.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What does the second elevator being on the same floor mean? If the ghost was already on the elevator at garage level it's quicker to get to the 6th floor than from the 15th.

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.

Solice Kirsk posted:

What does the second elevator being on the same floor mean? If the ghost was already on the elevator at garage level it's quicker to get to the 6th floor than from the 15th.

It means that there wasn't anyone on the third floor that had pressed the button and then had the second elevator arrive first and take them away. The second elevator never moved.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
My kids just asked me about Slenderman... I showed them the thread but they didn't believe me

GaiaFag
Jun 20, 2007
KING OF THE FURRIES (AUTOPILOT ON BITCH)
Is there a 2016 thread? Will there be a 2016 thread? Please?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Nobody has made one, so feel free to. Though what I kind of miss from pre-GBS 1.0 mix up was the halloween scary videos/youtubes thread. I remember a ton of freaky videos from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
New thread is up: 2016 ghost Story Thread

• Locked thread