Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Venusian Weasel posted:

Yeah, that bullshit was basically kills the story. A creature duplicating your key and then trying it out is actually a really great concept for a spooky story, but the writer is just so in your face with stuff saying "hey, this thing is really scary!" that it kills any sense of dread that premise is able to build. It's all telling and no showing.

I don't read a ton of spooky/horror fiction or stories, but I have started to notice some cliches that just absolutely kill it for me. Really the main one is when whatever monster or stalker or whatever is able to be seen, guess what, they're smiling. Whaaaat? The spooky ghost was smiling at you instead of just having a spooky expression? Ten times spookier! I mean I can think of some examples of this trope being done well in the past and I get how it seems creepy, but it's just so drat ubiquitous amongst poorly written "creepypastas" (ugh) that it just makes me roll my eyes when I see it. It's like how in the old Video Game Hoaxes and Urban Legends thread, so many stories would start out with an interesting premise, but veer off into "hyper realistic skeletons with bloody pixels" land. Also, anything described as "blood red" that isn't just straight up blood is not scary.

Anyways, this isn't PYF Irrational Irritation in spooky stories thread, but many of the ones here have just the right light hand to pull off a good story without getting bogged down in cliches. One that comes to mind is about the guy driving down the road one night and hearing the voices of (I think) trail of years native Americans surrounding him. I still think about it everytime I see a roadside cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread