Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anime Curator posted:

sorry you couldn't finish or even play dark souls

i beat it and i still wasn't used to them by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

jeez guys THESE CONTROLS, stuff like, block, swing, stronger swing, roll, lock on... this is fuckin chaos

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

i beat it and i still wasn't used to them by the end.

I am sorry

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dexters Secret posted:

jeez guys THESE CONTROLS, stuff like, block, swing, stronger swing, roll, lock on... this is fuckin chaos

yeah i agree. it's super cool that there's things like jumps sometimes randomly delaying, not being able to stop sprinting so you slide off of cliffs, etc.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah i agree. it's super cool that there's things like jumps sometimes randomly delaying, not being able to stop sprinting so you slide off of cliffs, etc.

i'll give you jumping, they added a separate jump function in dark souls 2 to alleviate that. but sprinting? i wouldnt know because i dont sprint next to cliffs that seems really stupid

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

if you were standing at the top of the grand canyon would you start running around near the edge... i think not. checkmate good sir

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dexters Secret posted:

i'll give you jumping, they added a separate jump function in dark souls 2 to alleviate that. but sprinting? i wouldnt know because i dont sprint next to cliffs that seems really stupid

my favorite dark souls 2 thing is the legion of games goons going uhhh its not a problem that the UI is extremely finicky and all the controls are unlabeled because they didnt bother changing the graphics for the UI from the xbox version

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

my favorite dark souls 2 thing is the legion of games goons going uhhh its not a problem that the UI is extremely finicky and all the controls are unlabeled because they didnt bother changing the graphics for the UI from the xbox version

you have to put up with some bullshit if you arent using an xbox controller yea

FROM Software pretty much came out and said they're new at this whole PC porting thing though but poeple wanted it bad enough so they did it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like i will concede that as a console brawler with a lazy port, i shouldn't be suprised that it has terrible keyboard controls. but dark souls 2 really raised the bar of what 'lazy console port' meant, because now i guess it includes just not telling you what the controls actually are unless you have an xbox controller connected.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

wait what? it tells you what you have everything bound to.

there did used to be some bugs with the mouse bindings but they fixed them

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

oh wait disregard my last post i misread what you said and im also tired lol

ya sucks if you arent using an xbox controller

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

the frigid outskirts in the third dlc is actually really friggin cool

what if gerudo desert...had enemies

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

If anyone ever describes a souls game as having good controls again I'm going to shoot you out of a cannon. The controls are horrible but you're broken brain has adjusted to it and makes you think it's good.

yeah but you play dota lol

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I'll concede that the kb/m controls are sorta rear end, but the controls overall are really straightforward and solid. Have you never played a 3D zelda, Larry?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

*plays dark souls with kb/m* these controls are terrible! :qq:

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Bobnumerotres posted:

*plays dark souls with kb/m* these controls are terrible! :qq:

*slides desk-mounted racing wheel out of floppy, gaping rear end in a top hat* wtf!!! i keep running off cliffs!!!

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I think dark souls is a lot of people's first real experience with heavily buffered inputs in a third person game like that.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
just another reason to play Bayonetta, really. It makes you better at all games

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schnedwob posted:

I'll concede that the kb/m controls are sorta rear end, but the controls overall are really straightforward and solid. Have you never played a 3D zelda, Larry?

I didn't like any of them. Then again I don't own a nintendo console so maybe there's something I'm missing.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey op is your av that crazy powerful tree monster guy from an earlier Pokemon game like I think it is

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Acquire Currency! posted:

Hey op is your av that crazy powerful tree monster guy from an earlier Pokemon game like I think it is

you god drat idiot

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's just a dancing tree?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
thanks, obama

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Doctor Goat posted:

thanks, obama

can you walk me through the basis for this joke im not getting it

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Dexters Secret posted:

can you walk me through the basis for this joke im not getting it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQKrgA6Ye2g

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

No it's a Pokemon, we just went over this

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Dakr aouls controls suck rear end how th e fuckam i suppelsed yo know that ybe sticks are.for movinga d camera wlkne what gb the fu c m

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
That's my impersonation of forums pastry larry parish

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

yeah its just a dancing tree

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

what kind of idiot plays dark souls on keyboard.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
well... its a walking tree.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

BKPR posted:

Ruthless

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

BKPR posted:

im the kind of idiot

i actually really like it, the only disadvantage is you cant aim ultra greatsword swings for poo poo with wasd but they suck anyways

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

like i will concede that as a console brawler with a lazy port, i shouldn't be suprised that it has terrible keyboard controls. but dark souls 2 really raised the bar of what 'lazy console port' meant, because now i guess it includes just not telling you what the controls actually are unless you have an xbox controller connected.

I would argue Dark Souls 1 is the far, far lazier port, in that it barely worked at all until some random internet guy whipped up a fix for free on launch day.

Also I never tried to play with KB/M so I can't comment there but all of the controls are great with the sole exception of jumping, which still sucks in Dark Souls 2 even with the "improved" jumping controls.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

If anyone ever describes a souls game as having good controls again I'm going to shoot you out of a cannon. The controls are horrible but you're broken brain has adjusted to it and makes you think it's good.

works fine for me :cheers:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Ultra Greatswords loving rule and if landing an R2 doesn't get you pumped you have issues.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Doctor Goat posted:

Ultra Greatswords loving rule and if landing an R2 doesn't get you pumped you have issues.

theyre extremely bad in pvp

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
good golly gosh, no. whatever will i do if i cannot enjoy attempting to insert my face in a man's rear end as we spin around each other like retarded armored ballerinas while wielding this weapon. if only there were other things to hit with a giant sword.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

pvp isnt supposed to be optional you know. i get invaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Dexters Secret posted:

theyre extremely bad in pvp

actually, that's only because you're lovely at the game, you loving idiot

• Locked thread