Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Larry Parrish posted:

it's also really retarded how dark souls 2 made parrying and backstabbing and stuff about a million times harder even against npcs, on top of less estus charges etc. so now if you haven't mastered the fairly irritating combat system you really will love the sequel!!!

I think in the latter case they were trying to lower the amount of colorectal headbutting taking place in PvP.

i feel like everything's kind of glass cannon and it makes things too hit and run in 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I wish they would just remove PVP from the Souls games because I've never thought it was good or fun. That's probably an unpopular opinion and I can respect people who disagree.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
It feels poorly implemented and iirc most of the Dark Souls 1 covenants are completely broken.

There were more single player plots involving invasions / being invaded by NPCs and I kinda wonder whether the NPC invasions are using the multiplayer code or the other way around.

Dec 26, 2012

the pvp stuff works fine for crashing peoples' games but not really for doing duel poo poo. the optional invasion areas like the belfry or the rat place are cool too

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

dark souls pvp is insanely fun but i would not mind if they improved how it's initiated

Dec 26, 2012

the forest too, though that was mostly "fun" in the sense that if you invaded into it 9 times out of 10 it would be you vs 2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Silver Striker posted:

I wish they would just remove PVP from the Souls games because I've never thought it was good or fun. That's probably an unpopular opinion and I can respect people who disagree.

I think i spent 40 or 50 hours invading people with in all the different covenants, so I would respectfully disagree, but to each their own. I think the give and take of being able to summon help but also be open to invasion is the coolest part of the souls games.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

01011001 posted:

the pvp stuff works fine for crashing peoples' games but not really for doing duel poo poo. the optional invasion areas like the belfry or the rat place are cool too

I like the concepts of those areas but I think in practice they're not good. Also the PVP for me just really highlights what I don't like about the combat and what I had hoped they were going to improve from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls. Doesn't help that most people I play with seem to have awful connections.

Dec 26, 2012

i had a lot of fun on both invading and being invaded ends of the belfry for sure. the rat one could have been better thought out though and i wish belfry sol had more of a point like luna did. i didnt have too many connection issues in 2, in 1 though...

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Gravelord is by far the coolest covenant conceptually but it's completely broken.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i liked how demon souls initiated pvp best, where invaders could only invade humans, you could steal their humanity but they were at full health and could summon help.

of course the actual pvp in that game was horrible because of healing items and all sorts of broken poo poo but they managed to gently caress it up worse and worse with each game

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

imo pvp only working for people in the human form was probably the worst part of souls pvp before dark souls 2

Dec 26, 2012

gravelord is a really boring covenant even if it isn't broken. you throw down your gravelord sign and maybe some pissed off guy comes and gets you but you have no way of seeing him be in deep poo poo or w/e

Bobnumerotres posted:

i liked how demon souls initiated pvp best, where invaders could only invade humans, you could steal their humanity but they were at full health and could summon help.

of course the actual pvp in that game was horrible because of healing items and all sorts of broken poo poo but they managed to gently caress it up worse and worse with each game

how did they manage to gently caress it up worse and worse, besides the netcode being hot garbage

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
gravelord is cool because it's like getting an extra boss for people who you affect, and hard mode. it's a little boring for the person invading though.

there's a mod for pc that gives you permanent gravelorded mode and it's probalby the only way to see 90% of the new enemy placements

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Silver Striker posted:

Do you mean how like every enemy in Dark Souls 2 tracks your movements for their entire loving animation in a goofy way? Because that was a bad solution and I don't think I've seen even a single person defend it.
lol you should visit the ds2 thread in games sometime, if you criticise the insane tracking bullshit they call you a casual scruib

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

mysterious loyall Y posted:

lol you should visit the ds2 thread in games sometime, if you criticise the insane tracking bullshit they call you a casual scruib

This is one of my other big gripes. You can't really blame the games themselves for it but they have an absolutely awful fanbase. One of the worst I've seen in gaming, and I've played both MMORPGs and MOBAs.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

my biggest complaint about dark souls 2 pvp is they made it too easy to flask in the heat of combat, and being able to spam that flask button to outheal being hit was stupid

i think there should be like a 'mark of the invader' debuff or something by getting hit by an invader that prevents you from using estus for 5-10 seconds

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

01011001 posted:

how did they manage to gently caress it up worse and worse, besides the netcode being hot garbage

i like the concept of risk/reward with "hey you can summon help for a level but you're gonna need it for the invaders after your fresh humanity," in the later games you could only invade in human form and humanity restoring items were made insanely common so the only reason to invade was to dick someone over.

in dks2 invasion items were made a scarce resource instead of something you can do whenever you want, and they even changed how matching up works into something arguably much worse because people whined about dickwraiths in DKS1.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

there's an enemy near the end of the game, a hammer drake knight (huge dudes at dragon shrine with big hammers) that is literally broken. when he's supposed to "rest" and let you hit him after certain attacks he will break the animation and just keep attacking forever. it makes him pretty much impossible for melee characters.

i pointed this out in the games thread a long while ago and a bunch of people jumped down my throat with "it's fine, get gud" etc.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dexters Secret posted:

my biggest complaint about dark souls 2 pvp is they made it too easy to flask in the heat of combat, and being able to spam that flask button to outheal being hit was stupid

i think there should be like a 'mark of the invader' debuff or something by getting hit by an invader that prevents you from using estus for 5-10 seconds
did they remove lloyd talismans i don't remember

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

your first playthrough does not see a lot of invasions by design

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love dark souls pvp because I will always remember the guy who invaded me and transformed into a pot and waited for 15 minutes in a single spot until I accidentally bumped into him and he started sliding away and backstabbed me.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Bobnumerotres posted:

there's an enemy near the end of the game, a hammer drake knight (huge dudes at dragon shrine with big hammers) that is literally broken. when he's supposed to "rest" and let you hit him after certain attacks he will break the animation and just keep attacking forever. it makes him pretty much impossible for melee characters.

i pointed this out in the games thread a long while ago and a bunch of people jumped down my throat with "it's fine, get gud" etc.

huh i didn't realize those guys were broken. I just dealt with them with poison arrows on my melee guys

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

did they remove lloyd talismans i don't remember

nope, they're still there. certain invader npcs in the dlcs use them against you, which is insanely cool

Dec 26, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I love dark souls pvp because I will always remember the guy who invaded me and transformed into a pot and waited for 15 minutes in a single spot until I accidentally bumped into him and he started sliding away and backstabbed me.

lmao that guy owns

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

blakyoshi posted:

maybe if you guys had the precision of keyboard movement you wouldnt be walking into pits so much :smug:

This, but not sarcastically.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

This kind of stuff is insanely cool and I wish more of my PVP interactions had been like this and not just we awkwardly flail at each other with insane latency and then someone falls off a cliff or something.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

lloyd talismans are 1600 souls each and perhaps my biggest legitimate complaint with dark souls 2 that I think is a MAJOR problem is that 'soul memory' counts all your souls acquired rather than just the souls you've spent through leveling

so it's a pretty huge disincentive to buying any sorts of consumables ever or buffing up a lot of different item sets. I really hope this is addressed in Bloodborne because it pisses me off

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Also I have to struggle to contain my rage whenever someone says something like "Wow, I love this Dark Souls game! It's so innovative... especially the art style! Btw, I just heard about this gay gook comic called 'Berserk' and it's a total ripoff of Dark Souls!"

You probably think I'm joking, but I have seen people say that.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dexters Secret posted:

lloyd talismans are 1600 souls each and perhaps my biggest legitimate complaint with dark souls 2 that I think is a MAJOR problem is that 'soul memory' counts all your souls acquired rather than just the souls you've spent through leveling

so it's a pretty huge disincentive to buying any sorts of consumables ever or buffing up a lot of different item sets. I really hope this is addressed in Bloodborne because it pisses me off

and then dark souls 2 has a problem that at a certain point everyone you run into is at SL300 and has maxed out everything, so for example hexes which are supposed to be really strong in trade for huge stat investments are just really strong and better than spells/miracles etc.

instead of implementing a hard level cap of 150 or something they just nerfed all the really strong stuff

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That's the kind of specificity I come to expect from my boy Sliver Striker.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dexters Secret posted:

1600 souls is like a single enemy in the dlcs, at which point you're probably past the last soul memory tier so it doesn't matter anyway

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I wish they had brought those octopus blender monsters back in Dark Souls 2. Also shooting a dragon in the tail with 100 arrows to get a sword.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I have never had an octopus dude ever even try to attack me. It's weird.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

my best invasion ever was a dude in Anor Londo called "sack of sh*t" and he was a naked dude with a sack on his head and he just hid behind pots and jumped out to punch me constantly

i never had the heart to kill him until i accidentally kicked him off a roof and he sent me a message about how i was his favourite invadee

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

when an octopus demon kills you it's pretty sick

it almost makes up for that whole area being worse than my rear end in a top hat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My second favorite souls invasion is when a guy invaded me in Demons Souls on 1-3 and was naked and two handed the sword from 3-3 that does no damage outside of that boss fight but has insane knockdown capabilities. He sat at the bottom of the steps leading up to the boss and just kept knocking me over, never attacking me. He did this for legit a half hour and I was mad drunk and lolling so I kept trying to run past him like a mini game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Edit: it was the sword from 4-3. Sorry.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

My second favorite souls invasion is when a guy invaded me in Demons Souls on 1-3 and was naked and two handed the sword from 3-3 that does no damage outside of that boss fight but has insane knockdown capabilities. He sat at the bottom of the steps leading up to the boss and just kept knocking me over, never attacking me. He did this for legit a half hour and I was mad drunk and lolling so I kept trying to run past him like a mini game.

thats awesome lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MatBCZ47wOY has this been posted yet

• Locked thread