Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
None of the Metroid games except maybe Super and Fusion really rely on the other Metroid games having happened at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

None of the Metroid games except maybe Super and Fusion really rely on the other Metroid games having happened at all.
Other M is a direct sequel to Super Metroid.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm sorry I just got used to dismissing Other M's existence out of hand. I'll try to respect your deeply held position on Other M's canonicity in the future.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Where does Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars fit into Metroid canon?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i might like a series reboot

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Where does Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars fit into Metroid canon?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Y-Hat posted:

i might like a series reboot

I would if they gave it to Retro.

Other M's art style was absolute poo poo. Trying to faithfully render designs that were based on being 2d Sprites for the Super NES in a 3D game for the Wii was dumb. Retro's pirates are so much cooler than the gay lobster dudes in Other M.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Sharmat posted:

Metroid 2 kinda does. It feeds the plot to several other games.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

seiferguy posted:

Metroid 2 kinda does. It feeds the plot to several other games.

so i guess that covers all but the very first game in the series and the prime trilogy storyline depending on the other games lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

so i guess that covers all but the very first game in the series and the prime trilogy storyline depending on the other games lol
First game is super important in Super Metroid. Wind Waker, however, has no bearing on the Metroid canon.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

First game is super important in Super Metroid. Wind Waker, however, has no bearing on the Metroid canon.

Well which Link is the one sleeping in the bed in Super Mario RPG? I would assume it's either NES Link or LTTP Link. Since Samus appears in that game as well I think we can assume that the Mario and Metroid canon occur at that point in the Zelda timeline.

Regardless, it clearly isn't Toon Link so you are correct in stating that Wind Waker has no bearing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Well which Link is the one sleeping in the bed in Super Mario RPG? I would assume it's either NES Link or LTTP Link. Since Samus appears in that game as well I think we can assume that the Mario and Metroid canon occur at that point in the Zelda timeline.

Regardless, it clearly isn't Toon Link so you are correct in stating that Wind Waker has no bearing.
Mario RPG is non-canon because Disney owns the rights to Geno.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntxKRj9DRnc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

This.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Do you think Peach and Samus ever kissed.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
You can play as sexy hot pants samus in smash bros, the one you get for 100% fusion. Any one irate about this

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
When you talk to Link in Super Mario RPG he clearly makes an NES puzzle complete sound so you should assume he's 8-bit Link, but that's actually in the same time line as LttP and oh my god I have aspergers

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

African AIDS cum posted:

You can play as sexy hot pants samus in smash bros, the one you get for 100% fusion. Any one irate about this
Yeah, I rate it a 4... out of 5.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can't wait to see Geno in Marvel's The Avengers: Infinity War

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

seiferguy posted:

When you talk to Link in Super Mario RPG he clearly makes an NES puzzle complete sound so you should assume he's 8-bit Link, but that's actually in the same time line as LttP and oh my god I have aspergers
The link to the past is the NES sound.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Can't wait to see Geno in Marvel's The Avengers: Infinity War
There's a Geno cameo in Toy Story 2.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm trying a 15% run in Zero Mission and I'm stuck at the Ridley battle. Up until now it was just kind of tedious and annoying but now it's down to "memorize boss patterns, Mega Man style."

It's kind of funny because I'm probably just being careless. ZM Ridley is a hilariously easy boss in normal play, but that's because Samus tends to be an unstoppable space amazon by the time you fight him. Now I'm super gimped and can't do a thing worth a drat.

E: it'd be nice if his little fireball volleys dropped health and ammo too, but that would make it almost too easy...

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I didn't like Zero Mission as much as Fusion precisely because it's a much easier game if you collect every single item like a sperg and I can't not collect every single item like a sperg. I was not made for speedrunning or sequence breaking

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

I'm trying a 15% run in Zero Mission and I'm stuck at the Ridley battle. Up until now it was just kind of tedious and annoying but now it's down to "memorize boss patterns, Mega Man style."

It's kind of funny because I'm probably just being careless. ZM Ridley is a hilariously easy boss in normal play, but that's because Samus tends to be an unstoppable space amazon by the time you fight him. Now I'm super gimped and can't do a thing worth a drat.

E: it'd be nice if his little fireball volleys dropped health and ammo too, but that would make it almost too easy...

The only boss harder than that one is the two elite pirates when you're trying to escape. You will die in one hit, and they are in a weird spot and will murder you! Good luck!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lemming posted:

The only boss harder than that one is the two elite pirates when you're trying to escape. You will die in one hit, and they are in a weird spot and will murder you! Good luck!

Yeah I'm not looking forward to that. They were hard enough when I first played the game. I didn't have anywhere near 100% then, but I at least had all the beam weapons and more than four energy tanks :shepicide:

Anyway I beat Ridley. He's kind of easy when the RNG gods decide to tell him to ease up on the tail attack bullshit. Off to Tourian! :buddy:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

I didn't like Zero Mission as much as Fusion precisely because it's a much easier game if you collect every single item like a sperg and I can't not collect every single item like a sperg. I was not made for speedrunning or sequence breaking
i had to learn to hold back on my "collect everything" reflex for Super Metroid

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

holy gently caress mother brain is hell. I new I should have went for the screw attack instead of a fourth energy tank. god drat those spaghetti-o motherfuckers :argh:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Oops I'm retarded. The real hard one is Meta Ridley + those pirates when you're doing hard 10%

it's real hard

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
if Metroid Prime isn't canon then how come Meta Ridley is in Zero Mission

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ZM ridley on hard mode is no joke. sure he has a pattern but if you gently caress up he will shave off a tank or two

Soral
May 30, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

metroid prime is possibly the most canon entry in the series

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Sharmat posted:

:spergin: actually it's mecha ridley and its entirely robotic and not a cyborg

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I thought that was like, the meta-Ridley prototype and they just hadn't finished yet

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

God dammit I finally beat robo ridley but got my rear end owned by the elite pirates during the escape. I tried to lure one to the upper part of the room but they're just too fast and knock me back down when I try to jump up there :sigh:

Id probably hate this less if the ridley battle were easier (ie if the idiot that wrote the guide I followed said to pick up the screw attack instead of a fourth energy tank or long beam)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

you have to pick up 9 items in a 15% run so the other 6 items are up to you

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Y-Hat posted:

you have to pick up 9 items in a 15% run so the other 6 items are up to you

Yeah. I used a guide because I didn't care enough to deliberate on what items to get. The guide I'm using on GameFAQs pretty much said "Getting four energy tanks, Long Beam, and one Super Missile will make the 15% run easiest."

I know now that it's goddamn bullshit because the screw attack would make the mother brain and robot ridley battles infinitely easier and allow me to barrel through sneaky red pirates during the mothership escape. long beam, on the other hand, was by far the most useless thing I got. I only really "needed" it for the acid worm and even then it isn't essential. It could make the elite pirates easier, though, but I can't tell because they kill me so quickly :(

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i dont think screw attack works on the black pirates, you have to beam em for a while

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bobnumerotres posted:

i dont think screw attack works on the black pirates, you have to beam em for a while

Yeah I know, but it rips through the red dudes. Some of the ones chilling out at the bottoms of shafts always get me during the escape.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
So you're telling me you skipped the power that lets you obliterate enemies by jumping into them in favor of the one that slightly increases the range of your beam? And that this guide was sure that this decision was the correct one to make? Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

AHungryRobot posted:

So you're telling me you skipped the power that lets you obliterate enemies by jumping into them in favor of the one that slightly increases the range of your beam? And that this guide was sure that this decision was the correct one to make? Interesting.

Yeah :smith: http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/914982-metroid-zero-mission/faqs/28820

• Locked thread