Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if you don't buy this for $10 you're a bigger idiot than if you didn't buy punch-out wii for $10

SeXReX posted:

I too long to play the good metroid prime games again, but with the poo poo controls of the bad one
the wii controls are awesome, gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

epitasis posted:

they look like poo poo rear end
seeing steam on your visor was amazing back in the day

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

chozo ghosts get less annoying when you get the x-ray visor, but you still have to kill them with the power beam or a super missile and they make stupid noises

Wormskull posted:

Stop saying that because it makes me want to eat chorizo.
iirc "chorizo" was one of the early translations of Chozo when Metroid first came to america

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Gamestop is still selling the Prime Trilogy discs in brand new condition.
or you can get them on wii u virtual console for a lot less than gamestop is selling for a physical copy

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

why ban jawtramp when you can mercilessly mock him for having the worst take on the Prime remake series possible

CuddlyZombie posted:

the music that plays when you fight rhundas is like my favorite boss fight music ever. its so good you guys
you can't say this and not post the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nMFLquJeCc

prime 2 had the best boss battles of the series but prime 3 had the best boss music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SySV9xBU6M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaGX5XTJQzY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSsFX9vN-OE

also gandrayda's quote before you fight her is a dark horse candidate for the cheesiest spoken dialog in video game history

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

wavebuster requires a shitload of missiles. it's good against Meta Ridley. it's somewhere in the Chozo Ruins and getting it is a long and involved process. i think you need the Gravity Suit first

ice spreader is good against Metroid Prime's first form, plus it's only 10 missiles a pop. it's in Magmoor Caverns and you need a power bomb to blow up one of the glass walkways (similar to the one in Super Metroid)

as far as i know, flamethrower is useless. i don't remember where you get it

Looper posted:

Flaaghra's full music is surprisingly good and I'm glad I finally got to hear the whole thing
metroid prime has such good music and it's a crime that no new music from the series was included in Smash 4. at the very least, replace the Other M ridley fight music with the Omega Ridley fight music

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it'd be better if you didn't get it so late in the game. maybe it's also good against Meta Ridley since it works in the same way as the wavebuster, i've never tried it to find out

and i just remembered- you get the flamethrower in that first hallway in Phazon Mines

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

metroid II is worth playing once imo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

conceitedguy posted:

i fought the giant fish boss and the grapple boss. they're pretty lovely. lot of kinda lovely bosses in prime 2.
the bosses that you get your powers from aren't that good, but please don't trash talk the power reactor bosses (especially quadraxis)

Famous TV Dad posted:

Post the best song from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7_6fLLQ1_I
tough to pick between these two so i'll just say it's a tie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuPJm2XQT0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEVQ6JxQFr4

Ralp posted:

Does waggle just mean aiming the wii remote?
on the internet "waggle" means "waaaaaaah i'm too much of a big gay baby to flick my wrist from time to time, gently caress motion controls"

it makes bomb jumping puzzles much easier as well. that magmoor caverns energy tank is a breeze with the wiimote controls

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

my brother hasnt even played 2 or 3 and he refused to buy this when it was 10 bucks because "i hate the wii controls"

my brother is also a giant human being and no one can tolerate him for long so yeah if you find yourself saying "i hate waggle" you're probably a piece of poo poo
you should give that turd a giant wedgie

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Prime 1 looks better than most modern AAA games lol.
the steam-on-visor effect still blows my mind

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I beat Super Metroid for the first time last night.

Shouldn't be hard to beat that time the next go around, I hosed around a lot.
you get the best ending for beating it under 3:00, doesn't matter getting 100% items

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

What is terrible about the gameplay in Maridia compared to the rest of the game?
it's easier to get lost in imo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

that long corridor in Phazon Mines where you get the power bomb at the end in MP1 is hard as hell. not ridiculously hard, but hard enough to take a couple tries before you get it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Any threat of the metroids is undermined by the fact that every other scannable thing in the pirate base was a notice to stop feeding the metroids rations and treating them as pets
the best bit of space pirate flavor text is how they tried to reverse-engineer the morph ball but abandoned it when everyone who tried it kept getting mutilated

FactsAreUseless posted:

I would play a game where she, Rosalina, Olimar, and The Star Fox are the intergalactic Nintendo justice league.
in Kid Icarus Uprising you storm a space pirate ship to get the Three Sacred Treasures, and the space pirates are more cartoony versions of the ones in metroid. it's a really cool touch

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Acquire Currency! posted:

I just want you to know that I know that feel
a few people have mentioned the retconning of Metroid Prime's origin in the trilogy version of MP1. that meant that a few pirate logs were dropped from the game and some of the others changed places. my last scan in MP1 was a pirate log whose location was switched- that confused me for a while

Bobnumerotres posted:

shoutout to the scene in metroid prime 3 where samus takes off her helmet after defeating the first seed boss, in the middle of a volatile radioactive core and then proceeds to vomit
i want more nintendo characters to puke in-game

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Bump. The echoes fight where you have to boost ball between spider tracks and nail the rotating targets is so sick...the sanctuary fortress is so sick!!!!
the energy tank you get in torvus bog where you have to do this is so hard to get in the gamecube version because the camera is awful. thank god they fixed it in the trilogy

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Silver Striker posted:

The Dark Samus stuff at the end of 2 is the only part I would change. The last fight in particular is just kind of a dumb gimmick.
but that music

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

yeah the final MP2 Dark Samus fight sucks, especially when compared to the other major boss fights in the game. it's slow and the whole concept of absorbing phazon with charge shots is pulled off poorly

at least the MP3 Dark Samus fight is legitimately hard without being too heavy on the bullshit (grapple lasso mechanic aside)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

prime 3 is the most underrated metroid game. i like hypermode because you can just ruin everyone's poo poo, plus i like going to other planets for my missions

gently caress getting around skytown, though

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

at least you get to make a nuke in Skytown

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i still think prime 2 is a good game but there are plenty of questionable design decisions. prime 3 has a couple of those too, but not nearly to the same degree

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if you're willing to tolerate Prime 2 in spite of key collecting, navigating water areas without the gravity boost, its general dislike for you exploring, and other questionable design decisions, but then turn around and poo poo on Prime 3 because of the grapple lasso, then piss up a rope. your opinion is not valued here

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

prime 3's insistence on using the grapple lasso during combat is annoying, but not on the level of similar bad design decisions in prime 2

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's tough to follow up on something like Metroid Prime. 2 and 3 are good but flawed games, but 1 is on another level

Evil Eagle posted:

I'll give you that. Prime pinball is good though.
prime pinball is an excellent pinball video game

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Nintendo has strongly hinted at Retro making another Metroid game.
i don't think they've done this, but they have said that future 3D metroid games would be in the style of the Metroid Prime games, as opposed to Other M

i'm so glad that nintendo has conceded that Other M was a mistake

Silver Striker posted:

I liked the hints and keys in Prime 2 better. You find dead people who give you lore scans. Except for the one guy who managed to do his job. That guy was the best Luminoth.
iirc that luminoth is a "she." please don't misgender alien moth people

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Silver Striker posted:

I remember there's also that trooper in 2 who you can find a scan about. She's the only female in the troop and she like idolizes Samus and is pretty cool. It was a nice little touch because Samus is like this urban legend to the troopers and she was the only one who really believed.
that trooper who thinks Samus is a myth like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny is a dick

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i think in future Metroid games they should implement a "flying to other planets" mechanic that's better than the one in Prime 3

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

killing rezbits in prime 2 with the screw attack is incredibly satisfying

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

grapple lasso's a pain in the rear end to use during combat

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

no, but they don't have a scan entry anyway

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Some of the energy tanks are real frustrating to get in MP2. That one in Agon Wastes mining plaza that required you to perfectly time your screw attack into that tiny hole (heh) took ages, and then there was the reactor core one which was just be as quick as possible before you get electrocuted.
there's also the one in Torvus Bog where the camera actively fucks you over while you boost ball from the spider ball tracks. luckily they fixed that in the Trilogy version

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the spring ball ability in the trilogy makes that energy tank in magmoor caverns a lot easier to get

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

it's a really easy and short fight yeah, especially compared to mogenar which is an amazing fight
mogenar is a really tedious fight. helios is a breeze. omega ridley is a weird but fun fight

i like fighting gandrayda too. that fight has excellent music

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the three rival bounty hunters are the only remnant of the bounty hunter story line. i'd love a spinoff game where they use that concept

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

skytown is annoying to navigate but you get to make a nuke there

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

perv

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

sorry i thought i was responding to taint reaper

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I've played every Metroid game (and beat all of them except Hunters and Pinball) except Other M, so it's kinda like "hey I should play this" and that's a really strong desire. The fact that it's a short game with not very good gameplay, and that they tried to convert Samus into Waifu-chan has really been the only thing holding me back.
just watch all of the cutscenes on youtube and you have the complete Metroid Other M experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

was it originally pronounced "SAH-mus" before changing to "SAM-us" or am i just imagining things

• Locked thread