Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Died trying to get that energy tank in magmoor that requires 3 double bomb jumps in a row

The trick is to lay the second bomb just as the first one starts it's implosion animation. Morph ball jumping was a massive pain until I figured that out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

the introduction for metroids in prime 1 is pretty great, in prime 3 it is epic and eerie as gently caress.

prime 2 is just kind of like "lol oh no theres metroids..dont worry tho"

I really liked the Metroids in Project Base, they use the 'baby' sprites and are really tough and fast and take multiple power bombs to get them off you, they actually put a bit of the horror back I guess they were originally supposed to have as the energy draining monstrosities the series is named after

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

that sounds loving terrible actually

They only turn up in tourian and you get a full replenish before the final boss so they're basically the only hazard of the map alongside those two elite pirates and there's only like two or three of them then, I thought they were pretty cool :shrug:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah, those were some real tedious 30 second long fights

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

AHungryRobot posted:

i can't say i've ever noticed what that guy is talking about. i've played PB plenty of times and the metroids still go down in 5 missiles/1 super missile. you also shouldn't be letting yourself be caught by one the first place.

Huh I just looked it up and you're right. Weird, I could swear the Metroids were alot harder that time, sorry for my weird hallucinated misinformation

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Acquire Currency! posted:

Okay so I'm playing that project base. Redone sprite colors look retarded and Ceres station didn't even trigger a countdown after Ridley just flew away immediately

I liked it for the QoL improvements but some of the changes were really stupid. Why the hell would you take out the item get jingle :mad:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Was there always a point of no return in Fusion? I just got the last order to blow up the station and the doors to all the environments are sealed ... I kinda hope it's a bug because putting an unsignposted point of no return in a Metroid game would be unthinkably stupid ...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

On the virtual console version you can, the elevators to the different sectors all work and the save points and recharge stations are usable, it's only the doors to main areas which are sealed

rip my 100% run, killed in it's infancy by the world's worst design decision

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Your completion rate was: 58%

Oh gee why could that be? :mad:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The only time it's really any kind of limit is in boss fights, where there's an actual chance you may run out and have to switch to super missiles or farm adds for a while to get your ammo levels back up

That's like the only time though and I think it was probably just put in there to make the game feel more stressful, given the game's focus on difficulty and hostile environments

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I just beat Dark Samus round 2 and I'm pretty certain this is the worst of the trilogy. Sanctuary Fortress is a ton better than Torvus Bog but it's still a huge, difficult to navigate drag. I spent about 40 minutes wandering around after I got the power bombs trying to figure out where to go next, turns out some inconspicuous cylinders were actually rubble and I needed to power bomb them to reveal a switch which was gating the critical progression path

It's really hard to believe these were the same people who made Metroid Prime, which had some of the best and most intuitive map design ever

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

you mean the giant pile of cylinders that are clearly blocking a doorway that you can scan and the game tells you you need powerbombs for it? and you have to see them while you're in that generator room?

i mean it was a big drop in quality for sure but i dont remember ever geting lost. mp3 however i was carefully studying the map all the time because the map design is a clusterfuck. even with the map i had trouble understanding how to get around skytown

No they're not blocking a doorway, they're stopping a bomb slot from popping up in the corner of the room with no visual indication that is the case. I mean yeah I ended up just revisiting every room with my scan visor on and saw it was a destructible object eventually but that place is loving huge and keeping a mental note of every interactable object from the first time you scan it is a pain, especially when it's neither marked on the map and nor a clear obstruction

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You can flip the wiimote to spring jump in the trilogy edition ;)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I just died against Quadraxis' final form, turns out you've got to stun him before you can boost-ball onto his head ...

:negative:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think even in a gameplay led game like Prime 1 good writing can be worthwhile, like the scan-log elaborations on the state of the world and Pirate Science Team but yeah giving a poo poo about canon is pretty sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What's the deal with the shinespark blocks with no run up in Zero Mission? I've come across like four different sections where I've no clue how I'm meant to break through, is there some obscure special tech I'm missing?

• Locked thread