Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«16 »
Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

There's a fish restaurant right at the olympic harbour in the first building on the right wuen you get there. Had the set lunch there which was great and inexpensive. For 10.95 per/person we got a starter, main, desert and a drink. Cheaper and better than in downtown joints.

And there is a fun Tikki Bar on Diagonal called Kahala, good drinks.

Hopper fucked around with this message at Jun 10, 2018 around 17:45

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

if you're in Alaska, I had great halibut fish and chips from Alava's in Ketchikan which is a family owned shop, it's close to the docks where the Cruise ships are. And the best tacos I've ever had from Deckhand Dave's in Juneau, and I've lived in Texas too. Battered halibut, breaded salmon, rockfish. The key was their sauces that just hit me and surprised me at how delicious they were and the fish was ultra fresh. Their loaded fries, their fish tacos, the Alaskan Amber or Summer Ale, and the view of the mountains is pretty awesome.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Nephzinho posted:

Going to Barca in like two weeks and I kind of forgot to actually plan anything. We're staying in the gothic quarter and are pretty much planning on walking over to the beach and whatnot any given day. Any favorite places to check out for food?

e; I have SB figured out, just haven't gotten to Barca yet.

There’s a bunch of good empanadas places if you’re looking for a quick cheap meal. This one is quite good: http://empanadasrekons.com/home.php

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Nephzinho posted:

Going to Barca in like two weeks and I kind of forgot to actually plan anything. We're staying in the gothic quarter and are pretty much planning on walking over to the beach and whatnot any given day. Any favorite places to check out for food?

e; I have SB figured out, just haven't gotten to Barca yet.

If you're looking for higher end, Pakta is really, really good nikei cuisine. Same restaurant group as Tickets.

Nephzinho
Jan 24, 2008

I am looking for a few higher end places. We were able to get our flights on rewards and part of our accommodations are being provided by family, so our food budget is pretty much as much as we can keep a straight face for.

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?

Nephzinho posted:

I am looking for a few higher end places. We were able to get our flights on rewards and part of our accommodations are being provided by family, so our food budget is pretty much as much as we can keep a straight face for.

Disfrutar was a lot of fun, and reasonably priced for a higher end joint.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Las Vegas probably deserves it's own thread, but anyway, I'll be in Boulder City for 4 days in September. Where should I go in Henderson or Vegas? Places with decent vegetarian selections, please

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob

Fan of Britches

Um, if anyone has anything for Edmonton, by all means, share (nothing too fine-ish; I'll be there solo on business)

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Happiness Commando posted:

Las Vegas probably deserves it's own thread, but anyway, I'll be in Boulder City for 4 days in September. Where should I go in Henderson or Vegas? Places with decent vegetarian selections, please

Makers & Finders was probably the best meal I had in Vegas, they had a tres leches waffle that was seriously one of the best waffles I've ever had. Lotus of Siam was good but overhyped IMHO. Eat was kinda the same. Momofuku was rad as was the Milk Bar. We didn't have a chance to check it out but our AirBnB hosts recommended the Bruxie Chicken & Waffles place (not sure how their veg options would be).

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

For whatever reason my girlfriend and I decided to book a week vacation in Toronto next week. Sort of regretting not choosing Montreal instead, but that's besides the point -- Given that one of us is a vegetarian, what are some good suitable places to eat at?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Someone should tell drgitlin he doesn't know shit about cars

emotive posted:

For whatever reason my girlfriend and I decided to book a week vacation in Toronto next week. Sort of regretting not choosing Montreal instead, but that's besides the point -- Given that one of us is a vegetarian, what are some good suitable places to eat at?

Banh Mi Boys.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

emotive posted:

Woodlot. Woodlot. Woodlot. Woodlot.

The wife and I had a 10 day trip to Toronto last year. I'm vegetarian, she isn't. We put together a map of stuff we wanted to eat while we were there. Green was 'go out of our way to eat', yellow was 'eat if relatively close by', and blue was 'maybe check out if nothing else looks great'.

Here's the map! https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G...dDI&usp=sharing

angor fucked around with this message at Jun 19, 2018 around 18:13

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

angor posted:

Woodlot. Woodlot. Woodlot. Woodlot.

The wife and I had a 10 day trip to Toronto last year. I'm vegetarian, she isn't. We put together a map of stuff we wanted to eat while we were there. Green was 'go out of our way to eat', yellow was 'eat if relatively close by', and blue was 'maybe check out if nothing else looks great'.

Here's the map! https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G...dDI&usp=sharing

drat, Woodlot's menu looks amazing -- this is helpful, thanks!

BigDumbWhale
Apr 24, 2011

Real Name Grover posted:

Um, if anyone has anything for Edmonton, by all means, share (nothing too fine-ish; I'll be there solo on business)

Depends where you're staying. Most of our good stuff is downtown/central especially around Whyte Ave.

I'd recommend Three Boars for a more casual small plates/bar menu or their sister restaurant Wishbone, Pip for brunch and dinner, Bar Bricco and Uccelino for great Italian food, Dorinku for a great izakaya, Bundok or Baiju for something more new and cheffy. There are a ton of great places to eat here now.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Happiness Commando posted:

As was said before, Makers and Finders is really good, was just there this morning myself. The new VegeNation in Henderson is pretty good. By September there will be more spots open, stuff is really bustling along here for food and drink.

A helpful map for all things Vegan Las Vegas - https://www.vegansbaby.com/first-page-map/

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Bear Witness

I could use some Vegas recommendations as well. I got some good recs from the thread last year but the two places I enjoyed most, Due Forni and Chada Street, seem to have both shut down. I have no preferences wrt to cuisine and I'm open to breakfast/lunch/dinner.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob

Fan of Britches

BigDumbWhale posted:

Depends where you're staying. Most of our good stuff is downtown/central especially around Whyte Ave.

I'd recommend Three Boars for a more casual small plates/bar menu or their sister restaurant Wishbone, Pip for brunch and dinner, Bar Bricco and Uccelino for great Italian food, Dorinku for a great izakaya, Bundok or Baiju for something more new and cheffy. There are a ton of great places to eat here now.

Thanks — sorry I missed this. I had a Nando's three blocks from my hotel, though, and after a long-rear end day that's exactly what I wanted/needed

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Bear Witness

Anything good in Daytona?

e: Jesus there was nothing good in Daytona, in general

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at Jul 3, 2018 around 18:55

Nephzinho
Jan 24, 2008

I'm spending the weekend in London and am way more excited than I should be to grab a bite at Dishoom.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

"Wouldn't want to see an angry turtle with a gun, would ya? "

Well...

I'll be dinking around in New Zealand in September with my wife. I like hole in the wall places. Seafood is good.
I'll be in Auckland, Rotoura, Wellington, Nelson, and Christchurch.

Is there New Zealand food, or is it more like Australia where you get a lot of good stuff from other countries?

Nephzinho
Jan 24, 2008

Four days into my trip in San Sebastian and the "eat anywhere" advice is spot on. I think there has been one place we haven't loved, several we have gone back to, and a growing Google map starred list with notes for all of the friends and family we send here after this.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

You really can't go wrong in San Sebastian. Just make sure you get churros and chocolate at Santa Lucia in the Parte Vieja. Possibly the best breakfast I've ever had.

Nephzinho
Jan 24, 2008

Laocius posted:

You really can't go wrong in San Sebastian. Just make sure you get churros and chocolate at Santa Lucia in the Parte Vieja. Possibly the best breakfast I've ever had.

I had to drag people there kicking and screaming because it is the dirtiest/dingiest place we have seen, but I see it moderately crowded by locals every morning and assumed that was a sign.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Anything good in Daytona?

e: Jesus there was nothing good in Daytona, in general

I was going to say this but did not want to poo poo on your trip beforehand. Outside of the beach and the speedway it is a boring rear end town.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 14, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

What's good in the central jersey area? New brunswick-ish. Mostly looking for places with patios that I can take my dog, or places with bar games (pool, darts, ect) would be excellent. From google, I'm only seeing little neighborhood 3 tap joints, or college places with jaegerbomb shots featured promenently.

Also just the best restaurants in general.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Kind of a specific question: is there any really good dim-sum places in Boston?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

"Wouldn't want to see an angry turtle with a gun, would ya? "

Well...

TheCog posted:

Kind of a specific question: is there any really good dim-sum places in Boston?

I've been to Hei La Moon and they were fine. I can't say that they're "really good", mostly because I've not ever been to a place that is well established as "really good", but it met the passing-through-Boston-and-wanting-dim-sum requirements well.

Nephzinho
Jan 24, 2008

I ended up getting tables at Hisop and Pakta, was unable to get a table at Tickets (though I'm on the waitlist for Saturday). I'm half excited, but I also feel like San Sebastian kind of ruined food for me for a bit. I'm literally planning on having soda and junk food for a few days when I get home just to snap out of it (while recruiting friends for my next trip to San Sebastian that I am already planning).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.

Slippery Tilde

Going to be in Ronda, Spain from Sept 5-11. Any awesome tapas places/bars? Maybe a semi-fancy restaurant (going for a music festival so I'm not going to pack anything formal for just one meal).

«16 »