Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Are there any places I can get proper Italian rainbow cookies in Seattle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

DogoDogo posted:

Husk of course, if you can get in, but I think FIG is almost as good. Jestine’s Kitchen for some legit down-home southern cooking.

rockcity posted:

If you like beer, Edmund’s Oast Brewing. Either of their locations have awesome food and killer beer. The breakfast at Butcher and Bee is also excellent.

Amergin posted:

A slightly updated list I have based on what folks have been saying about Charleston food (haven't visited in a while myself):
The Ordinary
Fig
Callie's Biscuits
Xiao Bao Biscuit
Early Bird Diner (chicken and waffles) (I need to hit this place up every time I visit)
HoM (burgers)
Magnolia's
Seafood: 167 Raw, Coast, Fleets Landing
Blossom
Husk
Saffron on East Bay downtown for coffee and desserts
Shi Ki (sushi)
BBQ: Lewis for brisket, Rodney Scott's for ribs, Home Team for their wings, Swig & Swine for general BBQ
Pages Okra Grill
Toast (breakfast)
Grits & Grace

:getin: You've activated my trap card! I've been living in Charleston for a couple years and was looking for recommendations because there are way too many restaurants here. Thank you!

I've found that Husk and Fig are both really expensive and overrated. In particular I was treated horribly at Husk.
Edmund's Oast has massively reduced their menu (also their food quality) and gone all in on their drinks, regrettably.
The Ordinary mostly serves crudo which is regrettably a hard pass for me.
I had a horrible surprise encounter with Lindsay Graham in Magnolia's and will never go back there.
I've stopped going to Page's Okra Grill even though I love it because the average entree is 3500 calories.
I had no idea Butcher and Bee did breakfast, their other menus didn't really do much for me but I'll give it a shot.

Places I've been to and already love and will be going back to:
Lewis
Rodney Scott
Saffron
Fleet Landing

Places I'll now be trying posthaste:
Jestine's Kitchen
Shiki Sushi
Swig & Swine
Toast for breakfast (though I am horribly scarred by the awkwardness and horror of their dueling pianos dinner service)
Blossom
HoM
Callie's Biscuits
Xiao Bao Biscuit (though they nearly got shut down for running a "convenience fee" through their bills as if it were a tax)
Early Bird Diner
Coast

Places I'd like to recommend to others in Charleston/Mt Pleasant, SC:
The Barbados Room
Martha Lou's Kitchen
Goulet
Bistro Touluse
NICO
Bacco
Pearlz

I kind of feel like Charleston is getting to deserve its own thread.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What's good in Cleveland? A friend just moved there, we will be going to visit a few times.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Ok, so some complication with my trip to LA. I'm going to be working 8a-6p in the Chatsworth/Canoga Park area, and I'm not getting a single weekend day there. I don't think that trying to drive from Chatsworth into downtown LA and back during rush hour is going to be particularly pleasant, so any suggestions specifically in that area/Northridge/Sherman Oaks would be appreciated. If there are any ABSOLUTELY DO NOT MISS places elsewhere in LA that are worth the atrocious drive though, lemme know.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd love to hear some recommendations for Charleston, South Carolina.

I got you. Some decent recommendations, but I’ll add a few more.

Beer:

-Edmund’s Oast-the brewery is awesome with great upscale bar food and their restaurant has a lot of great small plate options with good food and drinks
If you go to the brewery it’s worth hitting the other local breweries nearby.
-Charlestown’s fermentory-cool little spot with best ipas in town.
-Revelry-2 awesome locations

Bars:
-the Gin joint: cool hotspot with very impressive cocktails and some small snacks down near the market/tourist area off Bay Street. If the have the basil honeysuckle creme brûlée, eat it.
-Prohibition: Located on King St. great cocktails and food.
-Proof-also on King street-smaller spot with twists on classic cocktails, usually not as loud of chaotic as Prohibition but just as good.

Gene’s-fun dive bar with darts and pool in Avondale. Great beer selection.

Brunch:
-Butcher and Bee-pretty cool place with plenty of small plates and vegetarian options
-The Macintosh- Upscale plays on American classics. The Bone Marrow bread pudding is great.
-The Grocery-twists on American classics
Toast-local chain with decent American breakfast
-Edmund’s Oast-probably my favorite brunch in Charleston

Brunch is life in Charleston, make sure you get reservations, and you can ignore my list to find loads of great brunch spots. Sadly, Hominy Grill closed.

Lunch/Dinner:
-Wild Common- incredible new restaurant with s changing seasonal menu. Upscale but very well priced tasting menu that they will tweak for food allergies without issue. Went recently and will definitely go back
-Circa 1886-upscale steak house vibe
-Husk-iconic in Charleston, but I was underwhelmed.
-5Church- go here for better southern food than Husk.
-Magnolias-more traditional southern food
-Blossom- sister to Magnolias, solid seafood
-Balao- great vibe and fun small place with incredible seafood. Menu is somewhat small. This is the upstairs bar to Burwell’s steakhouse.
-The Darling- best oysters and raw bar in Charleston.

Just a quick list, if you’re looking for more of for something in particular, feel free to pm me!

I would recommend skipping Coast (it’s like a vaguely fancy Red Lobster) and Hom.

Edit: Whoops. Oh well. Still a good list.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

:getin: You've activated my trap card! I've been living in Charleston for a couple years and was looking for recommendations because there are way too many restaurants here. Thank you!

I've found that Husk and Fig are both really expensive and overrated. In particular I was treated horribly at Husk.

OTOH, Husk is dope as gently caress and worth the price and I've never been treated horribly at Husk.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, not to diminish your experience, that sucks that it was bad for you, but I loved it. It did not live up to the hype, because the hype was that it was the second coming of our lord and savior, and the most genius, delicious, authentic, yada yada yada... It was loving great though, and probably one of my top 20 meals.

The service was very hands off. We got everything quickly, and stuff was explained well, but we didn't have any "How's everything tasting?!?!?" type interactions, which I like. We were never in need of anything, and drinks were always full though.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
Any recent recommendations for Nashville? Any thoughts on Catbird Seat / Peninsula / Rolf and Daughters?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Catbird Seat and Rolf and Daughters are dope, so is Husk.

Also get yourself some hot chicken at Princes. Or hot catfish at uhhh somewhere in Nashville, I don't recall.

Hit up Monells for some fried chicken and piles of other food.

Peg Leg Porker is supposed to have some great bbq, esp ribs.

I haven't been to Babo, but their instagram has been full of some dope rear end looking Korean food.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Husk was fantastic.

Prince's was a two hour wait, which is fine, but the leg quarter was pretty okay, overcooked but great flavor. The white meat was again great outside flavor, but the toughest, driest, most overcooked piece of chicken I have ever had in my life. I'm hoping it was an outlier, but man was it a disappointment.

Breakfast at Monell's was easily the best meal I had in Nashville, probably on my top 5 meals of all time. Everything just tastes like the platonic ideal of that thing. Service was great, location is great. Just an amazing place.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

beefnchedda posted:

Any recent recommendations for Nashville? Any thoughts on Catbird Seat / Peninsula / Rolf and Daughters?

We ended up going to Bolton's Chicken & Fish for our first hot chicken experience on our way through town and my god...

I didn't think anything in the US could rival "gently caress-you hot" Chinese food, but Bolton's proved me wrong. We got like 2/5 and 3/5 and my wife and I were both straight crying, but it was drat good. They also had some of the best baked beans I've had in a minute.

I would wholeheartedly recommend Bolton's. That poo poo will make you humble.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
Hattie B’s is my hot chicken of choice. Never too crowded in my experience and deliciously fiery.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

beefnchedda posted:

Get donuts at Five Daughters.

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
My family (4 including me) is coming to visit in a couple weeks and we're looking to eat in DC, doing dinner on friday night and lunch and/or breakfast the next day. Any recommendations? We'd prefer nothing really formal.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Grey Face posted:

My family (4 including me) is coming to visit in a couple weeks and we're looking to eat in DC, doing dinner on friday night and lunch and/or breakfast the next day. Any recommendations? We'd prefer nothing really formal.

Where in DC, how much do you want to spend, and what kind of food?

Everyone else will suggest Ethiopian; I find sole of it OK but the bread is like eating a soft damp wetsuit.

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017

drgitlin posted:

Where in DC, how much do you want to spend, and what kind of food?

Everyone else will suggest Ethiopian; I find sole of it OK but the bread is like eating a soft damp wetsuit.

I'd say no more than 30-40, ideally around 25ish a person, location is flexible.
As for cuisine, I can try to convince my mom but she really doesn't like anything "exotic" (not American/Irish/Italian/Sushi). Ethiopian is 100% out.

Grey Face fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 2, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Clearly you should go to founding farmers OP

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Man, to think the day has come where Japanese is not exotic anymore

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I’d recommend checking out Union Market for one meal, it’s a food hall and has some great vendors.

Founding Farmers is basically a farm-to-table TGI Friday’s with a way too large menu and it was pretty mediocre last time I was there.

It’s a chain, but we have Nando’s in DC and Nando’s is wonderful.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I was joking, Founding Farmers is an infamous tourist trap.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

I was joking, Founding Farmers is an infamous tourist trap.

You know that and I know that but tourist goons don’t know that. :)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You're absolutely right, I should've signalled my sarcasm much harder. Let me offer the review as a palate cleanser:

Founding Farmers review: Zero stars for the mega-popular D.C. eatery

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
All Purpose is a pretty decent pizza place, with a couple of locations.

Unconventional Diner is supposed to be good. Both should work with those requirements.

notmandatory
May 18, 2006

Grey Face posted:

My go to for brunch in DC is Jaleo. It’s tapas, so there will be unfamiliar items, but nothings really that out there. China Chilcano a few doors down is also fantastic, but might be a bit too exotic. Best ceviche I have ever had.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
China Chilcano is excellent but I’d be surprised if you got out of there at under $50 a head with drinks.

Oyamel is also excellent, it’s Mexican.

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I’m nostalgic about the Alexandria Fish Market, because I spent so much time there. Big schooner beers and great clam chowder and spiced shrimp, along with being in a really great historic neighborhood.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Wife and I are doing a week in Tahoe with her family, but splitting off to enjoy a minor vacation of our own before heading home. We're going to be on the north side of the lake without a car for one dinner only. Where do we go?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Looking for restaurant suggestions for Berlin.
My companion and I are adventurous foodies, looking for interesting, new dining experiences, and willing to splurge.

Most often, we like to end a day of city-tripping where we walk and visit sights with a multi-hour (1.5+) dining experience.
Especially like things that we do not find back home, in Belgium, so Fusion, Experimental, Exotic restaurants are definitely an option!

What would you recommend?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I'm gonna couch surf for a week in San Diego later this year, where should I eat that's not mediocre buffets?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Coasterphreak posted:

I'm gonna couch surf for a week in San Diego later this year, where should I eat that's not mediocre buffets?

Depends on where in San Diego. If you scroll up you should see the recommendations I made for the last guy. That was all Gaslamp and downtown area though. I can def suggest some pretty mediocre Chinese food buffets...but I won't do that.

I'mma be kinda all over the place here since I have no idea in San Diego you're gonna be staying in. So I'll just name my fav places to eat.

Breakfast:
1. Family House of Pancakes (family style diner with HUGE portions of everything.)
1900 E Plaza Blvd

2. Breakfast Republic (Modern breakfast and brunch spot. Portions are decent, but this is more of a "hipster bullshit" kinda place, but the food is actually DELISH)
2730 University Ave There actually a billion of these places. So finding one isn't too hard since there all over San Diego.

3. Hash House a GO GO (Love this place. Huge portions, strong drinks and just delicious)
3628 Fifth Ave

Burgers:
1. Hodads (I don't want to say much. Just go. Be hungry. Make sure you have a place to fall asleep afterwards)
5010 Newport Ave

2. I.B Forum (Good size burgers. Frys are amazing. Pretty much the whole menu is a pro choice)

3. Crazee Burger (Wanna eat a kangaroo?)
3993 30th St

Pizza:
1. Lugi's Pizzeria (By the slice and whole pie shop. Lots a interesting combo slices. Very good)
1137 25th St

2. Filippis Pizza Grotto (Local sitdown chain. They put about 10lbs of cheese on top of each pizza. If you hate cheese you'll hate this. If not then this is the place)
1747 India St, San Diego, CA 92101

3. Lefty's Chicago Pizzeria (By the slice Deep dish!)
3448 30th St, San Diego, CA 92104

Mexican Food:
1. Literally anywhere in San Diego. Pick a direction and walk. You'll find something.

Japanese/Asian/Ramen
1. Nishiki Ramen ( I tried the death ramen challenge from their sister location once. I almost barfed. The regular ramen is great. They messed with the pricing recently so a regular bowl of ramen is about $10 or so bucks.)
8055 Armour St #201a

2. Sushi Deli 1/Sushi 2/ Sushi Deli 3 (Local sushi chain. Cheap cheap CHEAP! Great rolls even better pricing.)
7986 Armour St

Hot DOGS:
1. Barrio Dogs (Ya want a Mexican style DAWG? Yeah ya do. Wrapped in bacon and other bad for you poo poo)
2234 Logan Ave

That's just a few places for ya. There's alot of food to try. We also have In-n-Outs all over. So try some of that if ya want something in a pinch.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

San Diego has some of the best Viet food in the US, too. Fantastic bowls of pho everywhere in SD.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Kalenden posted:

Looking for restaurant suggestions for Berlin.
My companion and I are adventurous foodies, looking for interesting, new dining experiences, and willing to splurge.

Most often, we like to end a day of city-tripping where we walk and visit sights with a multi-hour (1.5+) dining experience.
Especially like things that we do not find back home, in Belgium, so Fusion, Experimental, Exotic restaurants are definitely an option!

What would you recommend?

Three of the best meals of my life have been in Berlin. Unfortunately Reinstoff is now closed so you can’t go there, but Horvath is still open as far as I know. The menu and the wines were really interesting, I’d go back again in a heartbeat.

Tim Raue is also supposed to be excellent.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Any Tucson, AZ goons want to tell me where to eat/drink?

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

angor posted:

Any Tucson, AZ goons want to tell me where to eat/drink?

Not a local, but a frequent visitor.

Tito & Pep is the truth. Everybody raves about the octopus: I thought it was just OK, but everything else was terrific. Great cocktails too.

Chef Alisah’s is good if you want a massive platter of Bosnian grilled meats.

Tumerico is both vegetarian and awesome.

For good local flavor options, I'd probably go with Maico or El Guero Canelo.

Drinking: Dragoon Brewing is my favorite, hands down, for beer quality.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I'm heading to Budapest, Zagreb (and Rijeka), and Ljubljana in a few weeks. Any solid recommendations for those cities, other than the giant schnitzel I saw in the Budapest episode of Parts Unknown?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm going to be in Santa Barbara for work later this month for 4-5 days. What's good?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Well, this seems like a long shot, but: anything interesting in Corpus Christi, Texas? South Padre Island is also within the realms of possibility.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I don't know anything specific to that area of Texas but you should prob just gorge yourself on seafood.

Unless it's red tide then idk

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Need a rec for a good steakhouse in the Kansas City area. It’s my dad’s 80th birthday and we want to take him somewhere nice. If it was up to his wife they’d have the buffet at Golden Corral

Like to keep it under $75 per person (nobody is a big drinker so wine isn’t important) since I’ll be picking up the whole tab. Also someplace accessible, the ol’ man can’t do flights of stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SubponticatePoster posted:

Need a rec for a good steakhouse in the Kansas City area. It’s my dad’s 80th birthday and we want to take him somewhere nice. If it was up to his wife they’d have the buffet at Golden Corral

Like to keep it under $75 per person (nobody is a big drinker so wine isn’t important) since I’ll be picking up the whole tab. Also someplace accessible, the ol’ man can’t do flights of stairs.

Capital Grille is always good (but is a chain), and The Majestic has been around for a while.

Everything at this point should be ADA accessible, so if there are stairs there should be an elevator.