Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Oae Ui posted:

I'm staying near Monterey, CA for about a week. Anyone have any recommendations?

It's not cheap, but I had a very good meal at Passionfish over the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there anything good to eat in San Jose?

My friend had this to say:

quote:

We're spending the long weekend in San Jose. Lovely place, but we've had 3 very disastrous meals so far. It's like we've slipped into a super lovely, wicked expensive food vortex. Not even Starbucks can get it right. Any recommendations for breaking out of this situation besides going home?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 17, 2016

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Ike's Sandwiches and CREAM (freshly made ice cream sandwiches).

Those are different places, to be clear.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

La Victoria is a cheap, authentic, awesome Mexican taqueria. It was one of my favorite meals on a trip to San Jose a few years ago. They had this strawberry-pineapple agua fresca that was the most refreshing drink of all time, and a orange sauce that made everything even more delicious.

Original Joe's is an old-school "red sauce" Italian place downtown, with tuxedoed waiters, the whole bit. Great ravioli.

I also had In-N-Out Burger there for the first time, and it lived up to all the hype.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
I'm going up to Boston pretty soon for a visit with my doctors. Will be staying near Boston Children's Hospital, which itself is like right next to Harvard Med School and Fenway Park. Any good options near me? Looking primarily for lobster rolls, seafood in general, Italian, ramen, pho, Asian food in general. I'll eat anything but those are my primaries whenever I'm somewhere where I'm not familiar with the area. Any other time I've been to Boston it's been for a hospital stay but this time it's just a checkup.

Edit: Oh yeah and burgers. But really, recommend anything. Doesn't need to fit into any of those categories. I can't drink, for medical reasons, btw. Looking for <= $20 a dish.

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 20, 2016

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The best lobster roll in Boston is at Neptune Oyster in the North End. I've only ever been to Boston once, for a short conference, but that's where all the locals recommended for the best lobster roll in the world. It was amazing, the best I've ever had, and totally worth the subway ride to that area from where I was staying.

http://www.neptuneoyster.com/

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I'll be in Cardiff for a total of 3 lunches and 3 dinners soon, any recommendations?
I'd prefer to have traditional Welsh once, the other times I don' t mind.

I was thinking of reserving a table at the Clink, because I like what they do with the inmates rehabilitation program, has anyone been there before?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Any suggestions for Stockholm?

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Suggestions for Toronto? I want to take my boyfriend out for our anniversary - I made reservations at Acinolite but have been reading a bunch of mixed reviews.

Our only constraint is that he doesn't like shellfish. I'll happily eat anything. We'd prefer walking distance to Ossington Station.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

turing_test posted:

Suggestions for Toronto? I want to take my boyfriend out for our anniversary - I made reservations at Acinolite but have been reading a bunch of mixed reviews.

Our only constraint is that he doesn't like shellfish. I'll happily eat anything. We'd prefer walking distance to Ossington Station.

I'm far from a local, but last time I was in Toronto I went to Fat Pasha and it was fantastic. No idea if that's close to where you'll be going.

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013

Xun posted:

Any suggestions for Stockholm?

When I went this summer I ate at Erik's Gondolen and Nytorget Urban Deli on the recommendations of a friend who lives in Stockholm. The former is a touristy location with excellent views of the city with nice traditional Swedish food albeit a little pricey. The latter is a little out of the way but it has a good selection of pre-prepared meals, snacks, spreads etc. that you wont find in other countries - and there's a nice public park nearby iirc.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The best lobster roll in Boston is at Neptune Oyster in the North End. I've only ever been to Boston once, for a short conference, but that's where all the locals recommended for the best lobster roll in the world. It was amazing, the best I've ever had, and totally worth the subway ride to that area from where I was staying.

http://www.neptuneoyster.com/

B&G Oyster is also very good.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Anyone know of good lunch spots in the theater district/university area of Tacoma?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

DARPA Dad posted:

I'm going up to Boston pretty soon for a visit with my doctors. Will be staying near Boston Children's Hospital, which itself is like right next to Harvard Med School and Fenway Park. Any good options near me? Looking primarily for lobster rolls, seafood in general, Italian, ramen, pho, Asian food in general. I'll eat anything but those are my primaries whenever I'm somewhere where I'm not familiar with the area. Any other time I've been to Boston it's been for a hospital stay but this time it's just a checkup.

Edit: Oh yeah and burgers. But really, recommend anything. Doesn't need to fit into any of those categories. I can't drink, for medical reasons, btw. Looking for <= $20 a dish.

Chinatown: Gourmet Dumpling House, Five Spices House, Windsor Dim Sum Café if you have a group, Hot Eastern on the corner of Essex and Beach (downstairs has, among a few other things, jianbing, youtiao, and fresh made hot soy milk).

There's also a bakery/cafe on the edge of the Chinatown Park called 180 Café, next to Hot Pot Buffet that has pretty good congee. 101 Bakery on Beach St is also good and the ladies there are sweethearts.

Dorchester is apparently the place for Vietnamese food, so if you can, check it out.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
edit: nevermind

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 24, 2016

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'm going to Sydney in July. I like hole in the wall places of just about any cuisine. Where should I go?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hello!

I'm going out to San Francisco for a weeklong nerd conference and will be staying in the city. I eat everything and from NYC, so I already believe that NYC food is better than SF food.

Please tell me where to eat to in order to prove myself wrong.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Doh004 posted:

Hello!

I'm going out to San Francisco for a weeklong nerd conference and will be staying in the city. I eat everything and from NYC, so I already believe that NYC food is better than SF food.

Nojo (ramen)
Tartine (bread, quiche)
Pizza Hacker
Mitchell's (ice cream; right next to Pizza Hacker)
Cotogna (for pasta)
Nico (moderately fancy)
Mission Chinese (salty and inconsistent but can be very good)
Benu (if money is no object)
R&G Lounge (Cantonese)
Plow (brunch)
Griddle Fresh (brunch - souffle pancakes)
Kusakabe (sushi but $$$$)

e: any specific requests?

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 5, 2016

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If you could only go to one place, it should be Una Pizza Napoletana.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Go to the mission and eat all the burritos.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Admirable Gusto posted:

Nojo (ramen)
Tartine (bread, quiche)
Pizza Hacker
Mitchell's (ice cream; right next to Pizza Hacker)
Cotogna (for pasta)
Nico (moderately fancy)
Mission Chinese (salty and inconsistent but can be very good)
Benu (if money is no object)
R&G Lounge (Cantonese)
Plow (brunch)
Griddle Fresh (brunch - souffle pancakes)
Kusakabe (sushi but $$$$)

e: any specific requests?

Awesome list, thank you.

No specific requests, but I know I need to eat lots of Mexican.

Doom Rooster posted:

If you could only go to one place, it should be Una Pizza Napoletana.

Good to know.

rockcity posted:

Go to the mission and eat all the burritos.

I'm going to assume Yelp is just as (if not more) active in SF as it is here in NYC. I figure I can't go wrong by searching it on there? Any must tries?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Doh004 posted:

I'm going to assume Yelp is just as (if not more) active in SF as it is here in NYC. I figure I can't go wrong by searching it on there? Any must tries?

El Farolito and Papalote are probably my favorites. The salsa at Papalote is spectacular. A friend of mine who introduced me to it shipped me a bunch of them before I ever went to visit him there and I was hooked.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Doh you should come not be a stranger in slack and ask dnf and probably drink with her.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

rockcity posted:

El Farolito and Papalote are probably my favorites. The salsa at Papalote is spectacular. A friend of mine who introduced me to it shipped me a bunch of them before I ever went to visit him there and I was hooked.

Awesome thank you, I will have to check them out than.

mich posted:

Doh you should come not be a stranger in slack and ask dnf and probably drink with her.

Goons IRL scare me.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Doh004 posted:

Goons IRL scare me.

D&F is cool tho

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm going down to Corpus Christi next month. I want to eat a ton of fresh seafood and sushi because I'm from a landlocked state. Any recommendations?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Huh, never thought I'd see a write up for Stabbington :v:

Moboe
Apr 13, 2014

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm going down to Corpus Christi next month. I want to eat a ton of fresh seafood and sushi because I'm from a landlocked state. Any recommendations?

Here are a couple of seafood places that were recommended by some Corpus natives:

Water Street Oyster Bar
Snoopy’s Pier
Doc’s Seafood
Catfish Charlie’s
Boat N Net (more of a cheap, fast food take on seafood)

Here are some of my personal recommendations (not really seafood):

La Playa Mexican Restaurant (2 locations in CC)- known for their stuffed avocados…they also have really good Tortilla soup.

Frank’s Spaghetti House- yummy homemade Italian food in a house built in 1921.

Mike Cotten’s BBQ- not exactly IN Corpus…. more like Calallen… but it’s worth the 10-15 min. drive if you like some delicious BBQ with unique bbq sauce and crisp sweet tea. Can you tell this is my favorite place?

Hope this helps!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cool, thanks. I'll keep all of those in mind. I had heard of Doc's and we're staying pretty close to it, so we'll definitely do that.

I forgot to ask, any good cocktail places around there?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 27, 2016

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Going to Cardiff in the soon to be Ex-EU tomorrow and need last minute food advice, already plan on going to the Clink for dinner but looking for takeaway/quick lunch stuff as I will be exploring the city all Thursday and half of Friday/Sunday. Good fish&chips would be nice, and maybe typical Welsh stuff.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Looking for good breakfast places in Montreal. Help me, goons!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Au Pied de Cochon

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

drat, closed Mondays. Anything open tomorrow?

JesusaurusRex
Oct 18, 2005

Doh004 posted:

Hello!

I would recommend the following:

AL's Place for vegetable focused but not vegetarian cooking. Best meal I have had in a long time.

Liholiho Yacht Club for loosely Hawaiian inspired grub. One if of the hardest tables to get these days. Homemade spam and rice is amazing.

State Bird Provisions for creative and whimsical Californian cuisine served dim sum style. Fried quail is a must.

Lazy Bear for a very different dining experience that feels like a dinner party at a chef's house.

SPQR for the best pasta in the city for my money.

Trick Dog for tremendous cocktails and a great and odd menu. Hard to explain this place. The new menu is spy themed.

Tartine for everything bread and pastry related.

Izakaya Sozai for everything Japanese (non sushi division).

For burritos, La Taqueria's super burrito dorado is the unquestioned king. Even won a five thirty eight competition for the best burrito in America.

That being said, I prefer San Diego burritos so my opinion on SF Mexican food is biased.

For beer, just go to Cellarmaker and then walk through the alley to City Beer Store. Best brewery in the bay area is 300 steps from the best beer bar in the city. It's great.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KillHour posted:

drat, closed Mondays. Anything open tomorrow?

Schwarz's, get the smoked meat.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hopper posted:

I'll be in Cardiff for a total of 3 lunches and 3 dinners soon, any recommendations?
I'd prefer to have traditional Welsh once, the other times I don' t mind.

I was thinking of reserving a table at the Clink, because I like what they do with the inmates rehabilitation program, has anyone been there before?

Hopper posted:

Going to Cardiff in the soon to be Ex-EU tomorrow and need last minute food advice, already plan on going to the Clink for dinner but looking for takeaway/quick lunch stuff as I will be exploring the city all Thursday and half of Friday/Sunday. Good fish&chips would be nice, and maybe typical Welsh stuff.

Aw man, I feel super guilty that I didn't see this thread before with two people coming to Cardiff on this page alone. I hope you both enjoyed and would dig finding out where you went after if you're still reading this thread.

Ah just realized it was the same person twice! A return visit then?

What did you think of The Clink? I found the booking page was a bit broken when I went a year or so ago and I wasn't able to get the date I wanted on my attempted 2nd visit but I think it's great. Lots of pride taken in the food (the chef came up to me before I started eating to rotate the plate 90 degrees as he 'didn't put that much effort in for the server to mess it all up', ha), and the quality of it was excellent while being fairly priced. It's a very positive program and I hope it's helped turn a lot of lives around.

For others who go to the UK, you'll find the best fish and chips isn't going to be a sit down affair like Harry Ramsdens or one of the other chain places, but a side street, probably Greek run, greasy chippy. Even in the British themed pubs I've been to over here in the US I've only been served fish and fries, I do miss the real thing. The choice between curry sauce and gravy is in my past now.

City center has some good places, but I prefer venturing out as the majority of it is chain dining and not particularly interesting. City Road which leads on to Crwys Road both have tons of interesting places to eat, especially middle eastern and Indian. Some great, some awful. The other side of town is Canton which also has some good places and tends to run a bit more expensive as that's where the media types live. Not ideal for people only in town for a day or two, sadly, although nothing is far away and I think Uber is now running fine. Just stay away from Riverside at night and the whole place is generally pretty safe too.

Always make sure you get a good curry, of course. That's more traditional than cawl or any of the other welsh dishes I've never known anyone local to eat in town.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm going to San Francisco next week. Any suggestions? No shellfish, I'm allergic.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

I'm going to San Francisco next week. Any suggestions? No shellfish, I'm allergic.

What part of the city are you staying in and how much do you want to spend? There are a ton of restaurants all over the city, and they usually have to be decent to pay the crazy rent.
Cioppino's the SF classic you'll miss, but it's not Dungeness season anyway.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm staying in Emerald Lake Hills. One day I'll be going to Sausalito at one point and probably into the city at some point. I'm hoping to hit up City Lights bookstore. Anyone know of a good dim sum place in Chinatown?

As for price, I have no idea how much things cost. I'm from Ohio so $20 is what a nicer meal costs. I'm not trying to break the bank but I'm also willing to spend a little money as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mariooncrack posted:

Top of this page has a ton of recommendations from when I went back in June.