Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

ChaosArgate posted:

What's good in the Boston area? I wanna try some good local stuff but I never actually hear about local restaurants.

I really like Ten Tables out in Jamaica Plain, but it's on the pricey side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Doh004 posted:

Hello!

I'm going out to San Francisco for a weeklong nerd conference and will be staying in the city. I eat everything and from NYC, so I already believe that NYC food is better than SF food.

Please tell me where to eat to in order to prove myself wrong.

Nojo (ramen)
Tartine (bread, quiche)
Pizza Hacker
Mitchell's (ice cream; right next to Pizza Hacker)
Cotogna (for pasta)
Nico (moderately fancy)
Mission Chinese (salty and inconsistent but can be very good)
Benu (if money is no object)
R&G Lounge (Cantonese)
Plow (brunch)
Griddle Fresh (brunch - souffle pancakes)
Kusakabe (sushi but $$$$)

e: any specific requests?

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 5, 2016

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Anyone have food/bar recommendations for DC? The more unusual / local the better (I can always Google fancy places). I am returning to The Gibson but literally don't know any more than that

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

AnonSpore posted:

I need some bangin recs for Seoul and Tokyo. I've lived in both cities but I was a poor student then so now I'm looking for some good stuff in the 20~50 USD range. Cheaper is fine too.

In Tokyo I like Honmura An for soba and Izuei (honten in Ueno) for unagi. Also why not save up and go to the branch of Sukiyabashi Jiro in Roppongi? Jiro's son is friendly to & tolerant of gaijin (when I went all 6 of us at the counter were visiting from the US) and the sushi was excellent. Also it was easy to make a reservation. Downsides: Y25,000+ and it ruined me for regular sushi for several months

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Also does anyone have recommendations for Paris? Looking for anything at all that's less obvious (i.e. not necessarily Michelin) / touristy

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Anyone familiar with Dublin? I'm in town till Friday and would love if someone could recommend a dinner spot

e: that's Dublin in Ireland, not Dublin CA

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Many thanks (:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
My recommendations: Rich Table, The Morris, Contigo, Octavia

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
If you like wine the BYO route works fantastic. Go to K&L, pick something with a decent amount of age on it, and bring it in for ~$20-40 corkage. No one will bat an eyelash

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

veiled boner fuel posted:

Kin Khao is a Michelin starred Thai restaurant close to the Powell street BART station

I think Mourad is the same guy but I haven't been there. It's well rated though. Their tasting menu is 155 each so it'll be a little bit over your budget.

Commis in Oakland is probably one of the most affordable fine diningy (i.e. excellent and fancy and pretentious food and service) restaurants. I don't think they do ala carte at all and their tasting menu is $159.

I really did not like Commis the last time I was there, but it was 2-3 years ago. Mourad is an excellent suggestion, but my recommendation is you do not order the tasting. Instead I suggest the basteeya, the octopus, the chicken to share, and the honey dessert. A la carte is also much more cost efficient than the tasting so I'm sure that will fit in your budget. Kin Khao is not bad (tasting menu is fine there) but you should be prepared for everything to be quite spicy (even some of my Thai friends think the spice level is on the high side)

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

veiled boner fuel posted:

What would you recommend for one crazy over the top dinner, money no object, with major bonus points if I can get away without wearing a tie and jacket?
I would suggest Coi; imo the food is the right balance of cutting edge & satisfying. It's also nice and cozy without being uncomfortably fancy - I wore a simple button down shirt (no suit or anything)

If it's white truffles you're craving and it's truffle season and you have a huge appetite: Quince (the only restaurant I've been to where we've consistently failed to finish the food)

If it's Asian flavors you want and you can handle a more stiff/formal atmosphere: Benu

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Kalenden posted:

Where to eat for a 5 day trip to Paris for Belgian foodies who enjoy exotic/fun/unique/world-best fine-dining with budget no issues?

I strongly recommend David Toutain; it's a mystery to me why they only have 1*

Also Mathieu Pacaud's Histoires (2*); it's a cool restaurant within a restaurant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

therobit posted:

In San Francisco we ended up eating at The Morris ad it was the only place on the list I could get a reservation. It was really good though. Like the previis poster Iwas not dissapointed. We had charcuterie, grilled broccoli, and smoked duck. I think people really go for the duck there which was good but the broccoli was my favorite part of the meal. We also had tons of leftovers.

We also ate at Manzoni's in Glen Park and that was also really good for classic Italian food.

Glad you liked it; hilariously I order the same dishes (charcuterie, broccoli, duck) p much every time I go

I'll have to check out Manzoni sometime