Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
My companion and I are looking for a couple of fine dining options for a trip to Barcelona in April/May. Price is not an issue and we like all cuisines but prefer not to be overstuffed. We always try to go for unique, fine dining. Restaurants that you'd be hard to find in other places, are known throughout the world/renowned or just special or exotic cuisine. For example, a recent London trip brought us to The Ledbury, HKK, Gymkhana and restaurant Story. Any recommendations with this in mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

SonicDefiance posted:

I really enjoyed Disfrutar earlier this year; it's run by three guys who were once head chefs at El Bulli, so you can expect fun, experimental food, but nothing that I considered to be too over the top/"pretentious". 20+ courses, but I didn't walk away feeling too uncomfortable (just hammered, since I went for the beverage pairing as well!). You might also want to look into Tickets.

Those two options sound highly enjoyable!

Any other recommendations? I've heard good thingd about ABAC, Sant Pau, Via Veneto, Moments, and others as well, so hoping to hear more. About 4-5 evenings to fill.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions!

So almost done with the planning.

To recap: I'm doing a city trip to Barcelona in April from Monday to Friday and my companion and I have to pick 5 restaurants in total, 4 times for an evening and one lunch (the Friday).

We are major foodies, like special cuisines, different from home (Belgium), and also really appreciate fine dining, unique combinations, gastronomic revelations and tasting menus with good alcohol pairings (bonus if the restaurant does not limit itself to exclusively wine) . We'd like to not do the same style of restaurant/food in a row but vary in between (e.g., tapas -> asian -> mexican -> tapas). Price is not an issue, as long as it it worth it.

In that sense with your suggestions, we've already decided on Disfrutar, Tickets, Cinc Sentits and Hoja Santa and still in doubt about the last one.

For variety sake, we are thinking of an asian option and we thought of Dos Palillos, Pakta and Koy Shunka.

So, three questions:

(1) What do you think of our choices? Doable for a nice city trip? Too much the same style? Better options available?

(2) What order of restaurant would you recommend? We thought of ending the trip with Cinc Sentits, the most traditional option we think, but with a nice lunch menu to end the trip.

(3) What asian option would you pick? Or a different asian altogether? Or another option?

Lots of questions but trying to plan a very good city trip for a special occasion, so working on it a lot!

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
My companion and I are major foodies and enjoy active city trips with a big gastronomic part. Commonly, we walk around the city the whole day and go for a very nice fine dining experience in the evening. We try to find local spots and places that are harder to find back home or that are world-known to be superb. In London, for example, we had a world famous ice-cream for lunch (don't judge ;-) ) and in the evening enjoyed a michelin-starred Indian, which we cannot find in our own neighborhood, and managed to do something similar for a couple of days straight. I was hoping to repeat the experience but then for Stockholm.
So, we enjoy unique/known places and fine-dining restaurants with tasting menu's. We enjoy every type of cuisine (Asian, vegetarian, nordic, ... ), nothing is out-of-bounds and more special is generally better in our eyes, so we commonly go for those more unique experiences. Our budget allows for all possible options.
Given the above description, any places and restaurants you would recommend for major foodies in Stockholm? We are thinking of visiting a couple of days at the end of July/start of August.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
My companion and I are major foodies and enjoy active city trips with a big gastronomic part and will be visiting New York City soon. Commonly, we walk around the city the whole day and go for a very nice fine dining experience in the evening. We try to find local spots and places that are harder to find back home or that are world-known to be superb. In London, for example, we had a world famous ice-cream for lunch (don't judge ;-) ) and in the evening enjoyed a michelin-starred Indian, which we cannot find in our own neighborhood, and managed to do something similar for a couple of days straight. It was a great experience to do multiple diverse fine dining restaurants over several days and get to enjoy cuisines and styles we don't have back home (Belgium).
So, we enjoy unique/known places and fine-dining restaurants with tasting menu's. We enjoy every type of cuisine (Asian, vegetarian, nordic, special, ... ), nothing is out-of-bounds, and generally go for those more unique experiences. Our budget allows for all possible options. What would you recommend for NYC?

Kalenden fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 18, 2017

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

Where's home? Where have you already been?

Sorry, I am beyond retarded. We are visiting NYC and come from Belgium.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Looking for recommendations for Rome.

For foodies who love to explore both exotic, innovative and classic kitchens, with budget being no issue if worth it (3-star Michelin is an option for example).
It is for a 3-5 day city trip so a couple of non italian options are welcome as well.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Where to eat for a 5 day trip to Paris for Belgian foodies who enjoy exotic/fun/unique/world-best fine-dining with budget no issues?

Anything goes but we highly prefer things with tasting menus that amaze and innovate. A classic bistro appeals less than, for example, a michelin-level authentic Chinese, since the second one is more unique.

We like everything. Barcelona and London were great trips for instance (Michelin-level Indian, playfulness with food, etc).

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Hi, so looking for some good eat/drink spots as solo-business-traveler in Harlem, New York City.

In your opinion, what are are the best (healthy-innovative-exciting-local-authentic-unique to harlem-...) eating and drink spots in Harlem?

I'm staying at Arloft Harlem and will be eating solo as I am on a business trip. Looking for good breakfast, lunch, dinner options and coffee. Extra points if its health-orientated, unique to harlem, or innovative, exciting, creative, and also pleasant to eat at alone ...
I'll also often be close to Columbia University.

For breakfast, a good breakfast for me is somewhere close, where I can sit down, and preferably open before 8AM.

For Dinner, I was thinking of perhaps doing a Soul-food type place, since that seems most "Harlem-Like", and an exotic place for the other, but I'm open for suggestions.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Looking for recommendations for Lisbon.

For foodies who love to explore both exotic, innovative and classic kitchens, with budget being no issue if worth it ( Michelin is an option for example).
It is for a 3-5 day city trip so a couple of non portuguese options are welcome as well.
So long as it allows for a gastronomic experience, enjoying a, at least, multi-hour (1.5+) meal after a walking city trip, and is unique/innovative/exceptional/exotic as compared to the regular Belgian/French cuisine.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Looking for restaurant suggestions for Berlin.
My companion and I are adventurous foodies, looking for interesting, new dining experiences, and willing to splurge.

Most often, we like to end a day of city-tripping where we walk and visit sights with a multi-hour (1.5+) dining experience.
Especially like things that we do not find back home, in Belgium, so Fusion, Experimental, Exotic restaurants are definitely an option!

What would you recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Hi,
My companion and I are going to SF soon, second visit, and we are major foodies who enjoy active city trips with a big gastronomic part.

Commonly, we actively walk around the city the whole day and go for a nice (fine-)dining experience in the evening.

We try to find local spots and places that are harder to find back home (Belgium) or that are world-known to be superb or top the lists. We prefer 1.5-2hour+ meals that allow us to discover the restaurants style. For instance, we often go for tasting menus with beverage pairing.

In a previous visit to London in 2016, for example, we had a world-famous ice-cream for lunch (don't judge, it was fabulous) and in the evening enjoyed a Michelin-starred Indian, which we cannot find here, and managed to do something similar for a couple of days straight. It was a great experience to do multiple diverse fine dining restaurants over several days and get to enjoy cuisines and styles we don't have back home. Our best experiences so far were the wild playground of Barcelona (Tickets, Disfrutar, ... ), the world-class foreign options in London (Gymkhana, A. Wong, ...), the exquisite local cuisine of Rome (La Pergola, offal cuisine in Checchino Dal 1887), or the diversity in Berlin (with Coda, a dessert-bar, and a vegan Michelin restaurant)… . Does not need to be expensive, just something that allows for a good long dining experience that offers something new.

So, in short, we enjoy unique/known/fun/exotic/fusion/special/renowned/authentic places and fine-dining restaurants with tasting menu's.

We enjoy every type of cuisine (Asian, ethnic, vegetarian, nordic, fusion ... ), nothing is out-of-bounds, and generally go for those more unique experiences.

Budget isn't an issue since this is a passion (discovering a city in many different aspects), so we are willing to splurge for the best experiences.

Given this profile, what would you recommend for us?