Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

therobit posted:

Me wife and I are going to San Francisco for Presidents Day weekend. We want to have one really nice (expensive) dinner and then whatever is cheap to reasonable and good along the way.

Kin Khao is a Michelin starred Thai restaurant close to the Powell street BART station. Tasting menu is 60 bucks per person. If the Mushroom Hor Mok Terrine isn't part of the tasting menu (it wasn't when I was there, even though it says it is on their website), I'd add it. This place will come in at or under your price including tax and tip even if you pound a few cocktails each and add an item or two.

http://kinkhao.com/

Aziza was another great relatively affordable high end place but I'm pretty sure they closed. I think Mourad is the same guy but I haven't been there. It's well rated though. Their tasting menu is 155 each so it'll be a little bit over your budget.

I went to Boulevard once for lunch and wasn't super impressed, but maybe their dinner menu is different/better.

Commis in Oakland is probably one of the most affordable fine diningy (i.e. excellent and fancy and pretentious food and service) restaurants. I don't think they do ala carte at all and their tasting menu is $159.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

got off on a technicality posted:

I really did not like Commis the last time I was there, but it was 2-3 years ago.

I've only been there once and I wanna say it was like 6 years ago? There was only one course I didn't like (cold crab with some kinda flavor "snow" on it) but tbf I think cold crab is generally a waste of good crab.

quote:

Mourad is an excellent suggestion, but my recommendation is you do not order the tasting. Instead I suggest the basteeya, the octopus, the chicken to share, and the honey dessert. A la carte is also much more cost efficient than the tasting so I'm sure that will fit in your budget. Kin Khao is not bad (tasting menu is fine there) but you should be prepared for everything to be quite spicy (even some of my Thai friends think the spice level is on the high side)

I loved Aziza so Mourad will probably be my next one. I love octopus even though I feel kinda bad eating them.

Maybe they toned it down or maybe they gave us the super whitey spice level since we're, uh, super white. But IIRC there was only one course that I would have labeled "quite spicy" but still not over the top. I'm pretty spice tolerant though.

One thing that oddly impressed me at Kin Khao was the soup. It seemed like a very simple almost all broth type soup but the flavor was really surprising.

What would you recommend for one crazy over the top dinner, money no object, with major bonus points if I can get away without wearing a tie and jacket?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

therobit posted:

Awesome guys, thanks. I will report back after our weekend. Maybe we will be irresponsible and try a couple of them. Also when booking this trip I learned how cheap the PDX to SFO route is so I may just book another trip for summer or something.

Where'd you eat you sonovabithc, I want a trip report. :)