Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
SLC: Get kouign amann at Les Madeleines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
There is really good Vietnamese food in San Diego. Go to Phuong Trang on Convoy Street and order the following dishes:

Appetizer - Banh xeo. Crispy rice crepes filled with shrimp, pork, bean sprouts, and served with lettuce and herbs. You put some banh xeo in a lettuce leaf, put in some herbs, roll it up and dip in nuoc cham. Order 1 for every 3-4 people.

If you've only been to a Vietnamese place where they serve you crispy spring rolls on at most one sad little leaf of lettuce, order it here too and eat Vietnamese spring rolls how they should be eaten. Wrapped in lettuce with plenty of herbs before dipping in nuoc cham.

Whole roasted catfish. It's served with rice paper, rice noodles, herbs and veg for wrapping rice paper rolls and it's amazing. Recommend calling ahead to let them know you want to order it as it can take some time to prepare.

Bo la lot/bo la ngo. Ground beef wrapped in grape leaves (traditionally was betel leaves but I think it's in grape leaves here now) and grilled, also used for wrapping rice paper rolls with lettuce, veg, and pineapple.

They may only bring you the fish sauce dip (nuoc cham) for the rice paper rolls, if so request mam nem. It's a funkier, more pungent sauce made of fermented shrimp paste that goes very well with the above two types of rice paper rolls.

If anyone in your group is allergic to peanuts make sure to let them know to put peanuts on the side. Also it's a very hands on meal so hope your group is comfortable sharing food.

mich
Feb 28, 2003

AK-47 posted:

Heading to Nashville today and looking for place to get a decent meal when I get in ~10-11pm tonight and also looking for suggestions for lunch/brunch tomorrow. I know there's great food there, found some my last time I was there but I don't have time to explore this time around.

Haven't updated it in a few months with new openings but some of the places I like in Nashville: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=zLLPt3Vw2H38.klf5y49nQfxw

There is not a whole ton of late night food in Nashville and on top of that, some places are closed Sunday. If you're not needing a nice sit down meal though, you have more ptions mainly on the East side.

Dino's - You can get a solid burger here and cheap beer. There are also good drinks at the bar next door, 308, but not cheap.
http://dinosnashville.com/

Robert's - Touristy downtown, but a solid simple fried bologna sandwich for cheap
http://robertswesternworld.com/

Duke's - East Nashville bar, you can get sandwiches here
1000 Main Street

Crying Wolf - East Nashville bar, burgers until 11pm if you're arriving closer to the 10:00 hour
http://www.thecryingwolf.com/

Little Octopus - East Nashville restaurant at POP Nashville, for non-burger/bar type food, also if you arrive closer to the 10:00 hour, they're open until 11
http://littleoctopusnashville.com/

Patterson House - speakeasy type bar, expensive and almost always a wait though you might get lucky to have a short wait, they have some decent food
http://thepattersonnashville.com/

Pinewood Social - owned by same people as above but more food options and bigger spot, open til 11
http://pinewoodsocial.com/

For lunch tomorrow if you're from somewhere you can't get good bbq check out Martin's or Peg Leg Porker (and when ordering remember pig is king for TN barbecue, though I also do really like the smoked chicken at Peg Leg as well). Nashville hot chicken is iconic but the best places are closed Monday. Hattie B's is easy to get to and open Monday but is not my favorite. Pepperfire is open Monday I think and I like it better than Hattie B's but it's also not my favorite though you can get a deep fried grilled cheese there with the hot spices. If you want to go to a nicer type restaurant go to Husk as they are one of the few of the nicer places that are open for lunch. If you can't get a table you can eat at the bar downstairs. It has one of my favorite burgers and their fried chicken is really good too and unique in its spicing. It's not hot chicken but there is a spiciness to it so not just plain fried chicken. If you want more brunchy/breakfasty stuff there is Biscuit Love in the gulch for more southern type breakfast and Steadfast Coffee for lighter/healthier.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I made a big list of San Sebastian stuff for when we went, we didn't get to all of these so not all are personal recommendations. Something to keep in mind is that a lot of the pintxos (what they call tapas in the north) places are extremely crowded at peak hours. Pretty much every place we went to that was super crowded ended up being not that great an experience even if the food was good because we felt we were continually fighting for a place to stand and had minimal space to set down any plates. Not sure how much Spanish you know but if you don't speak Spanish well it's even more difficult because that makes it harder to get the attention of a server and to order. Most places have ready made pintxos that sit out on the bar that are ready to eat or just need to be briefly heated so you can just point to those but in general the made to order stuff is better. Some places have an English menu, some don't. If your Spanish is subpar, I found it made things a lot easier if I kept a list of recommended dishes at each place so I already knew what to order when I got there.

If you are fine with more of a bar experience and hanging out and ordering dishes at a slower pace it may not be too bad but if you want to try a lot of different dishes and your focus is on eating, try to go as soon as places open (either for lunch or when they reopen for dinner) before it gets too crowded. If a place is open all day without closing during siesta, go during that time in between lunch and dinner and it will be much less crowded.

Here are sit-down places I was thinking of, we didn't end up having time for a sit down meal though:

La Muralla: good value, 3 course prix fixe for 25 €
Calle Embeltrán, 3. 20003 San Sebastián. Gipuzkoa
Sa/Mo: 1:00 – 3:30 pm. 8:00 – 11:00 pm. Su: 1:00 – 3:30 pm

La Fábrica: sister restaurant to above
Calle del Puerto, 17. 20003 Donostia. Gipuzkoa
Sa-Su. 1:00 – 4:00 pm, 8:00 – 11:00 pm. M 12:30 – 4:00 pm7:30 – 11:30 pm

Bodegón Alejandro: part of Mugaritz family of restaurants. prix fixe lunch for 23 €
Calle de Fermín Calbetón, 4, 20003 Donostia-San Sebastián, Guipúzcoa
Sa 1:00 – 3:30 pm, 8:30 – 10:30 pm. Su 1:00 – 3:30 pm

Restaurante Ni Neu
De Zurriola Hiribidea, 1. 20002 Donostia
+34 943 00 31 62. Thu-Sa 10a-11p, Su, Tu-W 10a - 8p

Restaurante Narru: http://www.narru.es/
Zubieta Kalea, 56
+34 943 42 33 49. 1:30p - 3:30p, 8:30 - 11p

Kokotxa: 1 michelin star. prix fixe lunch options but maybe not on Saturday
Calle del Campanario, 11, 20003 Donostia-San Sebastián, Guipúzcoa
+ 34 943 42 1904. Sa: 1:30-3:30p, 8:45-11aa

Pintxos, I'll * the ones we actually went to:

Bar Haizea - Aldamar Kalea 8 : classic pintxos
Phone:+34 943 42 57 10. M-Sa. 6:30a (?) - 11p. Su 10a - 3:30p
Txakoli: light sparkling wine, peppers pickled with anchovies, crispy pastries with stuffings, e.g. codfish, foie gras, langoustine

Ganbara - Calle de San Jerónimo, 21. Known for its mushrooms. (closed Su afternoon + M)

Bar Goiz Argi - Calle Fermin Calbeton, 4: brocheta de gambas - prawn bruschetta. Txangurro para calendar - cream of crab (W-M 9:30a-3:30p, W-Su 6:30p-11:30p)

Borda Berri - Calle de Fermin Calbeton, 12. Carrillera de ternera al vino tinto - beef cheek (1-4p, 8:30-10:30p, closed Sunday)
*Enjoyed this place, got the following dishes
-Carrillera de ternera al vino tinto - Beef cheeks in red wine sauce. very tender braised beef cheeks
-rosotto de idiazabal and de hongos - risotto with mushrooms and a type of northern cheese, good though made with orzo not rice
-ravioli de txangurro - crab ravioli. pretty good
-callos de bacalao (cod tripe) - this was a recommended dish but the texture isn't for everyone (soft and creamy) and it was really rich, it's not something I wanted more than a couple bites of

Munto - Calle de Fermin Calbeton, 17 (closed Monday)
*We liked it here, I think this was one place we went to in the in between lunch and dinner time
-We loved both the croquettes we tried: Seafood croquette with squid ink, mushroom croquette
-rosotto de idiazabal - another version of that risotto
-young eels on toast - it was okay, we wanted to try the young eels somewhere but only saw them on pre-prepared pintxos and the bread was soft as it was probably sitting there for a bit
-mushroom and cheese on toast - however, this was a pre-prepared pintxos that we tried very soon after they brought out the tray and it was really good. I think we ordered a couple more things when we saw them coming out fresh and they were pretty good then

Tamboril - Calle Pescaderia 2

Txepetxa - Calle Pescaderia, 5. Known for its big fat antxoas (anchovies) (W-Sa 12-3p, 7-11p. Sun lunch only, Tu dinner only, Monday closed)

Bar Zeruko - Calle Pescaderia, 10 (Tu-Sa 12-4p, 7p-12a. Sunday lunch only)
*The food here was really good and they have more modern pintxos (I saw a copy of Modernist Cuisine at Home sitting near the cash register). However it was unpleasantly crowded and difficult to get served, we were here during prime time though. Maybe it'd be better if you went during less crowded hours
-bacalao served over hot coal - super tasty
-langoustine tempura - also good
-foie gras - decent but I thought it had too much going on with a too sweet sauce
-squid burger on puffed squid ink bun - was ok
-Rosa de bogavante - lobster served over a rose water perfume, tasty and impressive looking

La Cepa - Calle 31 de Agosto, 7. Known for its jamon. (We-Mo 11a-12a)
*Known for its jamon. This place was fine but not that interesting to me and not a lot of pintxos options that were not ready on the bar stuff.
-we had a plate of iberico that was really good but certainly you could get a better deal on iberico at a ham shop
-beef skewers - don't remember much about it
-peppers - a lot of pintxos places have peppers that they grill and toss with just a bit of oil and salt, they are really tasty, we got them at several places so definitely get them at some point. it was expensive here.

Casa Gandarias - Calle 31 de Agosto, 23. 11a - 12a)
*Loved this place, went in the in between lunch and dinner time and everything we had was good.
-Sirloin with potatoes and peppers
-grilled scallops
-croquettes
-grilled peppers
(pretty sure we ate more here too but can't remember what exactly, I think we had some of the pre-prepared pintxos when we saw them coming from the kitchen fresh)

A Fuego Negro - Calle 31 de Agosto, 31 (Tu-Su 10a-12a) - This place is more of a wine bar, the menu looked good but the kitchen doesn't open until dinner so we didn't get a chance to eat here

La Cuchara de San Telmo - Trasera, 28 (off Calle de Agosto, on a small dead-end street that is perpendicular to Agosto, near Bar Martinez). W-Su 12:30p-5:30p, 7:30p-11:30p. Tu dinner only, Monday closed)
*This place is one of the more recommended places but it was so incredibly crowded and it took forever for us to get the servers' attention to order and the food aside from one foie gras dish wasn't that good. Certainly not worth the wait. If you come across it at a less busy time maybe more worth trying.

Hidalgo 56 - Paseo colón 15, Gros (W-Mo 10a-12a)

Bar Nestor: steak and tomatoes
Pescaderia 11, San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain
+34 943 42 48 73. Tu-Su 12:30 - 4p. 7p-12a
We tried to go here for the steak and tomatoes which looked super good but they were sold out

Here are some other recommendations that our host sent us, didn't get a chance to do any of these:

quote:

to drink:

- 31 agosto street--- ATARI and SIRIMIRI (ALSO PINTXOS)
- CONSTITUCION PLAZA (SQUARE) GOTT
- BOULERVARD: (FRIENDS DISCO)
- NAUTICO : GU (VERY NICE AND NEW!!!
GO FROM THE BOULERVAD TO THE SEA.. PORT.

- PLACES TO VISIT:

WITH CAR:

- ZARAUZ, GETARIA...

fish in Getaria: ask for RODABALLO share... my favorite place is MAY FLOWER... everybody knows it.... and they have a nice terrace to the port! if you want to diner...go at 8.. 8,30..... and ask for a table ... if you have to wait...go around for a wine... or before 13,30 for lunch. during the week better... less people and its easier to get a table!

HONDARRIBIA OR FUENTERRABIA (2 NAMES) (france direction)- go and see the center... very nice.
-------------------------------------------------

ON THURSDAY we have "pintxo pote" in GROS or "gastro pote" in the centre of san sebastian... urbieta street... (SAN MARTIN- MERCADO- MARKET) WHERE THE BIG ZARA IS.... starts at 7,30.... live concert! and for 2,5 euros one pintxo and a beer...wine... or whatever...

I usually go to "GASTROPOTE" and then...at 10,00pm you can go to gros.... to continue...

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Oh yeah, I didn't mention Arzak, Mugaritz, or Akelarre which are the big three big deal fancy restaurants but if you can get a reservation and can swing it, obviously those!

We took a day trip to Asador Etxebarri which is about an hour away for our fancy meal in the Basque country. It was amazing.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Doh you should come not be a stranger in slack and ask dnf and probably drink with her.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Nana's Seafood and Soul looks amazing in Charleston and was on vacation when I went. :cry:

There is also now a Rodney Scott's BBQ in Charleston and his original place in Hemingway is my favorite pork barbecue.

McCrady's Tavern is another Sean Brock place that was quite good (though I must say, Minero was good but not mind blowing).

If you want to do the seafood tower thing, there are lots of options, the one at the Ordinary was good and the seafood chowder there was super good as well.

The Rarebit for drinks and later night snacks.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville:

Prince's is definitely worth the trip, just be sure to plan that you might have to wait in line for some time and then wait more to actually get your food. I haven't been to the new location where it's not as much a wait but have heard inconsistent reviews.

In my opinion, it's much more worth it to visit Husk at lunch rather than dinner. Order the burger, fried chicken, and plate of southern vegetables. Usually if you can't get a table, you can ask to eat at the bar. I really don't think you should spend your fancy dinner meal budget at Husk. Much better options: Bastion, City House, Rolf and Daughters, 404 Kitchen, Little Octopus, Henrietta Red. Yes, locals (the upper middle class ones) eat at all these places.

In addition to the aforementioned dry rub ribs at Peg Leg Porker, the smoked chicken is also really good.

McDougal's: The best chicken tenders. Order them fried with sauce on the side, the gold sauce is my favorite.

Dozen Bakery: The best bread in Nashville. Good sandwiches, salads, pastries

My favorite place to get a non-fancy burger in Nashville: Martin's (which is actually a barbecue place) or Dino's (formerly a true true dive bar, the old dude who ran it sold it but it still retains much of its dive-ness though with a more hipster clientele). Dino's is also right next to 308 which is a great bar.

If you must foray into downtown, the best snack there is the fried bologna sandwich at Robert's Western World.

Good places for cocktails that also have good food: Old Glory, Urban Cowboy Public House

Favorite brewery: Southern Grist, where you can order sandwiches (get the Asian flank steak sandwich) from Mitchell Deli. If the Thunderbird food truck is there (typically on Saturdays), get amazing smoked chicken thighs from them (resist the wings, they're good but the thighs are where it's at).

I feel like I have to mention Arnold's Country Kitchen because it's the epitome of what you would think of when you think "local mainstay." Meat and three, cafeteria style, and everyone raves about it. I think it's fine but don't get the hype. However, that's how some other people around here think of Prince's and I love Prince's.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
That's a solid list except your mention of Loveless reminded me that I can't believe I didn't mention Monell's. I would go to Monell's over Loveless and that saves a trek to the outskirts of the city unless you wanted to check out the Natchez Trace and were going to be out there anyway. Monell's in Germantown - it's communal seating at tables of at least a dozen people, you sit down with whoever arrives around the same time you do. All you can eat, they bring out plates of the mains of the day (which always includes fried chicken as one of the options), sides, and you pass the plates around the table, serving yourself to your heart's desire.

My suggested timing of the places you chose:

Sat 4 pm - Roll directly over to Prince's. Saturday is the only day it is open from the days you'll be in town so get right to it. Expect to be there until at least 6-7. You could try doing Southern Grist and getting a Thunderwings snack first to prepare yourself for the wait but I've never been to Prince's at prime dinner time so no idea what the wait would be then, so I would probably do Prince's then Southern Grist. Alternatively, Prince's is open until 4am on Friday/Sat nights so you could make it a late night destination instead.

Hit up Dino's this day because it's also on the East side of town. You'll be in vicinity of other bars if you want to bar hop around: 308 as mentioned, Rosemary and Beauty Queen, Urban Cowboy. There's also a Jeni's ice cream shop in that area that would be easy to get to, their ice cream sandwiches are amazing (and there are a bunch other locations around town you might come across)

Sunday breakfast: Dozen

Lunch: Husk (on a weekend it may be harder to walk in even just sitting at the bar so might want to try to get a reservation)

Dinner: Rolf (try to get a reservation, they do have communal tables that they save for walk-ins but you might have to wait a minute)

Monday breakfast: Loveless (or Monell's!)

Lunch: Peg Leg (it's not open on Sundays)

If getting into Husk on Sunday proves troublesome then you can shift Peg Leg to dinner on Saturday if you don't mind going back and forth between areas of town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Sorry to throw another wrench in the plans but Arnold's is Monday-Friday lunch only, sorry!