Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Effort post on Key West.

Local Secrets. Great food that's not in tourist brochures.
Better Than Sex. A restaurant that only serves drinks and desserts. It's the best desserts I've ever had, with a great romantic atmosphere. My favorite restaurant in Key West.
Glazed Donuts. The best donuts I've ever had. They make everything from scratch. The dough, the toppings, the syrup, everything is hand-made where you can see it. They change their menu every month based on what's in season.
El Siboney. Best Cuban food in the Keys. Some of the best Cuban food in Florida. Some places in Miami (not many) are better, and nothing outside of south Florida is close.
Jose's Latin Food. Best Mexican tacos in the Keys. As good as any I've had in Mexico. Also good Central American food as well (run by a Nicaraguan family).
Corner Sandwich Shop. A hole in the wall that serves the best Cuban sandwiches in the Keys. The secret is the shredded mojo pork: Cooked in a pressure cooker with mojo sauce, then shredded, then sauteed in more mojo sauce. The edges are lightly crisped while the interior is smooth.
Smoked BBQ. A floating BBQ restaurant that opened this year. Good smoked pork, chicken, and brisket.
Roostica. A great pizza restaurant on Stock Island (one island over from Key West). Great Neopolitan style pizza.
Yahman. A Jamaican guy with a smoker in his front yard. Jerk chicken, curry goat, and other specialties as good as any I've had in the Caribbean.

High-End Dining. Expensive restaurants that aren't ripoffs.
Latitudes. On a small island just off Key West, you take a water taxi to get there. You can eat inside or watch the sunset from a table on the sand. Top-notch food in a top-notch setting.
Prime. Best steakhouse in Key West. Expensive, but totally worth it.
Conch Republic Seafood Company. Best seafood in Key West. Go in the evening after the boats come in. The fish on your plate that night was probably cuaght that morning.
Santiago's Bodega. It's a tapas restaurant, but not just Spanish cuisine. Every month or so, their menu rotates in new appetizer-sized food, all of it top-notch.

Overrated Tourist Traps. Expensive restaurants that are ripoffs.
Goldman's Deli. Has the steretypical rude service of a Jewish deli, but not the tasty food. If you like bland, day-old chicken salad and dry pastrami, served by a waitress who took half an hour to get you a glass of water, then I guess this is the place for you.
Charlie Macs. When they first opened, they served amazing BBQ. They even named their smokemaster and head chef on the menu. In the past year or so, though, they started serving bland, dry BBQ. They're in a great location and get lots of tourists, so they don't need to serve quality food to make tons of money.
El Meson De Pepe. A Cuban restaurant right on Mallory Square. Bland Cuban food that's overpriced. Go to El Siboney instead.
Anything On Duval Street. WHen 5,000 tourists stream off a cruise ship and onto Duval, you don't need to make good food to get a fast buck. Most of the restaurants along the main drag are expensive and bland. Carolines, Margaritaville, and Fogartys are especially bad. Fun for people watching, bad for foodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU