Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

min posted:

Good sushi does not exist in Jacksonville as far as I can tell. After trying what must be nearly a dozen places people assured me were good (they were not), I've pretty much given up. The closest I've found good sushi is Kappo at the East End Market in Orlando.

Non sushi places to eat:

Chomp Chomp - close to Burrito Gallery, looks terrible, food is great. The specials can be amazing.
Orsay - Avondale. French food, everything I've had has been good, moderately expensive.
Black Sheep - 5 points. "new american" same owner as Orsay, very good food. Again, moderately expensive (but not as much as Orsay typically)
Hawkers - 5 points. asian food. Very large variety of dishes, overall decent but nothing that will blow your mind. Worth trying for sure.
M Shack - several locations. Pretty decent burgers, I like them but feel they are kind of overrated. Still worth trying.
Hon Korean - near Beach and Emerson. ....Korean food. This place is awesome. It is a tiny place staffed by 2 people (I'm pretty sure). Everything I've had has been great. Their chicken wings are incredible. Huge korean/asian market next door to check out too.
Taverna - San Marco. Italian inspired food I guess? I've only been here a couple of times but thought it was pretty good. Same price range as Black Sheep, moderately expensive.
Mr Taco - Bowden rd. Tacos. Get the chorizo, it's awesome.
Knead: A Bake shop - Murray Hill. Really good sandwiches and pastries. Monthly specials. Duck Confit sandwich with caramelized onion jam and pickled green tomato is amazing.
Corner Taco - 5 points. Tacos. Not as traditional as Mr Taco, but pretty good.
Whiteway Deli - Riverside. Good sandwiches. Not gourmet stuff but very nice owners and lots of variety.
Pinegrove Deli - Avondale. This place is a butcher/deli, they dry age their own beef. Very good burgers and sandwiches.
V Pizza - San Marco. I think they have pizza. Fairly solid. The plus side is it is attached to Sidecar and walking distance from Aardwolf brewery, so you can get great beer and cocktails then go eat pizza without ever moving your car.

TacoLu sucks. Go to Mr Taco/Corner taco instead. That's all I can think of/feel like typing up right now. If you have any questions I may be able to answer them.

Just stumbled on this thread and thought I'd add to these. I don't live in Jacksonville, but I go there a lot for work.

Maple Street Biscuit Company - Some of the best biscuit sandwiches I've ever had. The cinnamon pecan iced biscuits are also delicious.
Jaxon Social - Pretty awesome modern food. They come up with some awesome off menu stuff regularly too.
13 Gypsies - Good tapas style food
Bold Bean - Coffee roaster that also has local beer. They have some good food for sale here and there too.
Lola's Burrito Joint - Way better burritos than Burrito Gallery, seconding Mr. Taco for tacos.
Blue Boy Sandwich Shop - Awesome and huge sandwiches with really really good bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
How do you not recommend Ashley's for beer? Definitely the best beer bar in the area. If you like Jolly Pumpkin beers, Jolly Pumpkin is also amazing and their food is ridiculous.

Also Big Ten burrito opened in 2004 so I'm not sure I'd call it a classic. It's also a real bummer that burritos are no longer $5 tax included like when I went to school there.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

indoflaven posted:

Big Ten Burrito for Ann Arbor. Red Coat Tavern for burgers in Detroit.

Red Coat is good but it got way overhyped to me. Michael Symon's B-Spot in Royal Oak and Rochester are pretty awesome. Burgers aren't huge and they're pricey, but they're delicious.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm gonna toss out the other city I love besides Boston. Providence, RI. If you have a reason to be in the area, hit up Abyssinia on the east side. Ethiopian/Eritrean cuisine.

Get the coffee. Get the doro wat. Eat until you are full and stagger into the night fat and happy.

Thanks for this one. I go there a couple times a year for work and have been looking for good places to eat.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

a007jedi posted:

any suggestions in the Lake Worth/West Palm Beach area?

Go to Copper Point Brewing in Boyton. They have awesome beer and food trucks nightly. They post their food truck schedules online.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

THERE'S A BREWERY NOW?!?!?!?!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That area is EXPLODING with new breweries. There are easily five or more that have opened this year in the WPB corridor. That one is the only one I've been to yet though, mostly because I live in Orlando. A guy from a homebrew shop I buy stuff from down there is one of their brewers so I found out about it from him. Great beers and they constantly putting out new stuff.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Seconding Relish. That place is great.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AK-47 posted:

Heading to Nashville today and looking for place to get a decent meal when I get in ~10-11pm tonight and also looking for suggestions for lunch/brunch tomorrow. I know there's great food there, found some my last time I was there but I don't have time to explore this time around.

Urban Grub has great brunch food. Not sure if they're open for brunch on Mondays. If you're a burger kind of person, Pharmacy Burger is awesome. I'll also second Hattie B's for hot chicken.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

What's the best place for lunch in Tallahassee near i-10? Within 10 minutes of a ramp, or near that awesome goon candy guy's shop. Making a detour on the way to New Orleans in a few weeks.

There is a really awesome hot dog place called Voodoo Dog, but it's probably a little over 10 minutes from I-10.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

I dunno, do they have really good smoked sausage dogs? And is there beer? It's a long lunch pit stop, I loving hate driving. I'll happily travel for awesome food.

New Orleans doesn't seem to have it's own thread either. I'll want suggestions for there too. I like chill places, don't mind some skeevineess (so long as poo poo's not downright dangerous), really would like to eat somewhere awesome on or near the water if there's any of those left. Also want to get some Hot Chicken. And some good real cajun. Anything good, I eat everything. Any recommended joints that aren't super crowded or over touristy? Chill bar recommendations too, I have no desire to walk Bourbon Street with a novelty size Hurricane in a light-up glass.

Speaking of chill bars, if you're looking for one in Downtown Jacksonville, try The Volstead. It's a prohibition swing bar. Great cocktails, but also a good rotating whiskey selection. There are cocktail waitresses and very comfortable leather chairs.

They have a bacon dog. A BACON DOG. As for beer, I actually can't recall if they do or not. I've only eaten there for lunch on work trips so I haven't been looking beer unfortunately.

I'll have to check out The Volstead. I'm up in Jacksonville a fair bit for work. There's also another prohibition style speakeasy place over in San Marco called the Grape and Grain Exchange. It's mostly a liquor store, but there is a small bar up front and a hidden speakeasy with a sliding bookcase entry in the rear of the store.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Versailles is a legendary, iconic Cuban restaurant in Miami. It's open super-late, and you can see a fascinating cross-section of people from around the world and all walks of life if you go there on a Friday or Saturday night, the later the better. Be prepared to wait in line, but it's so worth it. The food is fantastic, the portions are huge, and the menu has hundreds of great options.
http://www.versaillesrestaurant.com/

Versailles is definitely good. I also like Havana Harry's. Their portions are also enormous as well.

If you're interested in other types of food/drink there are some cool places in the Wynwood area including Coyo Taco, Panther Coffee, and Wynwood Brewing. The area is sort of interesting. It's kind of an even mix of run down industrial/commercial land, awesome new restaurants and some of the best graffiti art murals I've ever seen.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Is there anything good to eat in San Jose?

My friend had this to say:

Ike's Sandwiches and CREAM (freshly made ice cream sandwiches).

Those are different places, to be clear.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Go to the mission and eat all the burritos.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Doh004 posted:

I'm going to assume Yelp is just as (if not more) active in SF as it is here in NYC. I figure I can't go wrong by searching it on there? Any must tries?

El Farolito and Papalote are probably my favorites. The salsa at Papalote is spectacular. A friend of mine who introduced me to it shipped me a bunch of them before I ever went to visit him there and I was hooked.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

Just booked a week solo in Palm Springs in January.. where should I eat?

Be prepared to eat early everything closes at like 8pm at the latest there. I was there for a few days earlier this year and was underwhelmed by almost everywhere. The one place I found that sounded really good was closed for a summer break while I was there. Can't remember the name of it though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sextro posted:

Any last minute suggestions for Richmond VA on a Saturday? Both lunch and dinner.

Richmond had a ton of awesome food. I fly there once a month or so for tattoo work.

Metzger's - Elevated German food. The pork chop and the potatoes are outstanding. Great cocktails.
The Answer - Brewpub serving Thai food. Both the beer and the Thai food are excellent. Really good Bahn Mi.
Lunch/Dinner - They are two attached restaurants with different menus. They do a great brunch on Sundays.
The Black Sheep - I've only done brunch here but it was excellent.
Gwar Bar - Kind of a dive, but the food is good and it's owned by the metal band Gwar and if you know who they are you will want to go here.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sextro posted:

The answer seems to be... The answer. Gwar bar a definite maybe, but we're driving in from Smithfield so later at night stuff is going to be curtailed.

The Answer is really good. I just went there on my last visit for the first time and I will definitely be back. The sauces with the Bahn Mi I got were outstanding. I definitely want to try some of the other items on the menu.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sextro posted:

Confirming, it was great. Had a bunch of the appetizers and the bao sliders. All good stuff. RVA seems pretty cool compared to what I remember from a few years back.

Yeah, from the people I know there, it sounds like it's really gotten a lot more enjoyable in recent years. Someone is taking me to a really good Jewish deli later this week when I go up there. I did find a really good Greek deli last time downtown. I forget the name, but I asked for double meat on the sandwich and the guy warned me how much meat that would be. I did not heed his warning and it was borderline absurd. I ended up making two meals out of it. Two tasty meals.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Anyone have any recommendations for Tulsa? I'm going there tomorrow night for about 24 hours. I'm planning to hit Prairie Artisan Ales to snag some beer as I've heard really good things, but I know nothing about the city when it comes to food.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

I'll be in Tampa for two weeks for corporate training and I'm a make them regret comping my meals. My hotel is the highway 65 exit of I-75. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm particularly interested in Caribbean food as my hometown doesn't have any.

Taco Bus. You want Taco Bus.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

If someone tries to convince you to go to The Salt Lick, they are not your friend, sever all ties with them. Their BBQ is below mediocre, and only get recommended because the atmosphere is neat, and it's all you can eat.

The Salt Lick definitely looks cool and the huge gently caress-off pit is neat, but yeah, I've heard pretty mehhh things about the food. I've only ever flown into Austin to drive about 1.5 hours west of there sadly. We did eat at some interesting Mexican restaurant/outdoor concert venue on the outskirts of town that was pretty decent though. I have no goddamn idea what it was called though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Going to be in East Hampton Connecticut at the beginning of June. I'm interested in any opinions for any kind of food, but won't be there terribly long. I think at least one dinner covered, but probably need to find food for two breakfasts and one dinner (just a weekend trip). I think we are staying just south of the Airport.

You can't go to that area and not have a steamed cheeseburger. Check out for that and also for breakfast is O'Rourke's Diner in Middletown. They make pretty awesome breakfast and also do steamed cheeseburgers. If by airport you mean the Hartford airport, that's not really all that close to East Hampton and I may have some other recommendations too. Bear's Smokehouse is just south of the airport and is some drat good barbecue. There's also another good breakfast place in West Hartford called The Quaker Diner. They are cash only though, FYI.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I never knew steamed hams were a real thing!

They are and they are pretty interesting. The meat itself is just ok. It's very moist but a lot of that is water. However, the key to the burger is the ludicrous amount of cheese on it that is also steamed.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

Heading to Nashville for four days in August. Prince's and Husk are the only definitive stops planned so far. Besides hot chicken are there any local specialties that I need to check out?

Recommendations for places to eat are welcome. Not really looking for fancy, new, upscale small plate places. Prefer mainstays that locals rely on. Definitely looking for a BBQ joint or two.

Pharmacy Burger Parlor. Peg Leg Porker for BBQ. Get the dry rub ribs.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I am en route to Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto currently. Any standout places or just types of food I really should try?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Could use some recommendations for Orlando, FL specifically around International Drive

Any types of food you are looking for? Do you have a car? I live in Orlando and can make a lot of solid recommendations but a lot of them would probably require a car or at least some Ubering.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

I'm only going to be there for the weekend, any type of food is great but as mentioned above time is sort of an issue and because of that distance is too. I can uber if needed. I was thinking of Nile for starters since that's only ten minutes away by car and a lot of people seem to have loved it.

Nile is tasty. We did a goon meet there once maybe like 6 years ago. The tough thing about I-Drive in general is that is super drat touristy and like 99% of the things there are chains, some major ones some smaller ones. Depending on where you are on I-Drive as well, it can take a while to get up and down it. There are still decent places there that are chains, but they're not unique if that's what you're after. If you don't mind small chains, Brick House Tavern has some tasty food and decent beer. Yardhouse across the street from there is sort of the same vibe.

There are some good places over in the Dr. Phillips area which isn't terribly far. The Whiskey is a great little bar that has really good burgers. Flipper's Pizzeria is pretty solid as well. There's also a Brazillian place called SteakOnFire that makes awesome sandwiches.

It definitely hurts you being in that area and being time limited. Much of the cooler places to go are closer to downtown. There is an area there called Mills 50 and it's full of awesome new restaurants.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Prohibition Pig is so good. I go there every time I'm in BY. The only breakfast places I have been to are over in Burlington though sadly.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I’ve only been to two places but they are both excellent. One is August First Bakery and the other is Penny Cluse Cafe.

Burlington is a pretty awesome town, beautiful city to walk around. Lots of good lesser known breweries there too.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah Foam is awesome. I have the same dilemma with my wife. Our agreement is they have to serve food so we can eat there.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
That place is really solid too. I stumbled onto them on a work trip there one night looking for to go food. Picked up a 4 pack of Second Fiddle from the brewery and got pizza from American Flatbread. That was a drat good hotel meal.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Anything good in Daytona?

e: Jesus there was nothing good in Daytona, in general

I was going to say this but did not want to poo poo on your trip beforehand. Outside of the beach and the speedway it is a boring rear end town.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Looking for recommendations for Omaha, NE as I’ve been roped into an impromptu last-minute trip there against my will. I’ll be there for two or three days and I’m open to anything, but particularly burgers, sandwiches, barbecue, Mexican, Italian, seafood, and maybe some ice cream and/or sweets.

I’ll be passing through Tulsa, OK and Topeka, KS on my way to and from there, so I’d like some recommendations for those areas too.

EDIT: I won’t have a ton of cash, so nothing too fancy.

If you like beer, go to Prairie Artisan Ales in Tulsa. The beer is awesome and their food is really good too.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd love to hear some recommendations for Charleston, South Carolina.

If you like beer, Edmund’s Oast Brewing. Either of their locations have awesome food and killer beer. The breakfast at Butcher and Bee is also excellent.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

beefnchedda posted:

Any recent recommendations for Nashville? Any thoughts on Catbird Seat / Peninsula / Rolf and Daughters?

Get donuts at Five Daughters.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Eat This Glob posted:

I'm going to atlanta (there may be an atlanta thread, and I'm sorry if I missed it) early next year for work. I'll be in "tech square/midtown." If you were dining on someone else's dime, is there a place there I should ask to be taken?

If you were spending your own money, is there a place i could ride a bus to eat at?

Not really the someone else's dime kind of place but Antico makes goddamn delicious pizza and is right in that area. I go there almost any time my work sends me to Georgia Tech for something.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Anyone have any suggestions for Minneapolis? I'm relocating there for work and will be flying up Monday to start my first week on the job before I officially move. Figured I'd check here to see if anyone had any solid spots to recommend checking out.

Also, thanks for those Bavarian tips above. The company I'm going to start working for is German and I'll be making a trip there for a week to bounce around the country to visit a few different facilities.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

DogoDogo posted:

I am generally considered by all my friends to be a pretty expert source on Minneapolis dining. Any specific areas or types of cuisine?

My favorite spot right now is Colita - upscale Mexican with some of the best cocktails in the area. Young Joni and Spoon & Stable are nationally renowned and tough to get into, but you can usually snag a bar seat pretty easily. Brasa is one of my fave more casual places, and Saint Dinette and Parlour have the best burgers in town. Need recos on anything else, from doughnuts to coffee to pasta to steak, let me know! Welcome!

Awesome, thanks! I’ll try to check some of these places out. I’ll be working up in Maple Grove and I’m still figuring out where we’re going to end up living.

I’m all ears on the doughnut and coffee recommendations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

DogoDogo posted:

Brown butter glazed at Bogart’s Doughnut Co. is the platonic ideal of doughnut perfection. The owner is also a wonderful human. As far as coffee goes, Five Watt has never let me down, and I’m a fan of Dogwood as well.

drat that sounds like a good donut and I will for sure check it out.

And good to know about all the Hmong food. I had no idea that was a thing up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

DogoDogo posted:

So true about Hmong food. I absolutely adore what Union Hmong Kitchen is doing and the chef is the nicest guy! He has a great web series on TPT also ( twin cities public television.)

I might have to check them out while I’m up for training this week. I’m pretty eager to taste this now.

Edit: Bogart’s was awesome. The brown butter glazed donut is seriously legit.

Checked out Surly for dinner. Figured I needed to check off the de facto brewery in town. I’m quite pleased with it for both food and beer.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 10, 2019