Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Steve Yun posted:

Might as well have a general grab bag thread for all the miscellany cities that aren't quite culinary destinations.

This week I'm in Salt Lake City in the downtown area next to the Salt Palace convention center. There are plenty of restaurants in walking distance and they're dare I say somewhat modern looking, and there are plenty of wine bars around here as well because I guess they're desperately trying to convince everyone that people drink here. Anyone got recommendations?
I don't come to this forum very often and I'm sorry I missed this. SLC native, lived here my whole life. Like others said, Copper Onion is very good. It's my go-to "nice" restaurant. Nobody I've ever taken there has been disappointed and they have a decent wine list that changes up all the time. Other places in SLC:

Pallet: Similar to CO but smaller.

The New Yorker/Market Street: NY is a steakhouse. Market Street Grill/Oyster Bar is owned by the same company and they have several locations around the valley. If you want good fish or seafood that's not from a chain go here. They get fish flown in daily so it's always fresh and prices are very reasonable.

Happy Sumo: Sushi.

The Aerie: Located at Snowbird ski resort and open year 'round. Eating on a mountainside with a gorgeous view is not a bad way to spend an evening.

Red Iguana: The place for authentic Mexican food. People will stand outside in a snowstorm for 2 hours just to get in. So popular they build a 2nd location a block away that's also always filled to capacity. Apparently Bill Clinton is a big fan. There's nothing special about the ambiance so order takeout from the second location and take it back to your room.

Ruth's Diner: Up Emigration canyon, sit on the patio when it's open. If you go for breakfast make sure to get one of their biscuits - made by hand and approximately 4" thick with homemade raspberry jam.

Blue Plate Diner: All American diner food. They have a daily dinner special that's all you can eat and the coffee is magnificent since it's owned by the same guy as the coffee shop next door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Huh, never thought I'd see a write up for Stabbington :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Amergin posted:

Going to update this real quick on my way out of town :words:
Well this is timely, I'll be in Denver this weekend.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Going to be in Ronda, Spain from Sept 5-11. Any awesome tapas places/bars? Maybe a semi-fancy restaurant (going for a music festival so I'm not going to pack anything formal for just one meal).

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Steve Yun posted:

I am going to Paris from October 23-29. Any recommended things to hit up? Any tourist advice? Anything I can do to cause an international incident?

Do I need to make arrangements far in advance to see the following:
- The Arc Of Triumph
- The Louver Museum
- The Museum De Orsay
- The Paris Tower

Any restaurants in Paris to hit up?
By "Paris Tower" I'm assuming the Eiffel Tower? You don't need to make arrangements for any of those things but I've been to Paris 4 times (I was there just in September) and can give you some advice.

Get a Museum Pass from the official tourism office. There's one at Hotel De Ville, and that's close to a few attractions (Notre Dame, Louvre, D'Orsay). You can get them for multiple days. These things are great because you get to jump the sometimes-horrific lines. They're good at something like 50 museums in the Paris area so if you go to some of the smaller ones like Carnavalet and Picasso you can do 2 in a day. It's also good at the Arc. Now if you just want to go stand in front of the Arc and take pictures it's free, but you can go to the top and see a small museum and a great view of the city. Just keep in mind that unless you are handicapped you have to take the stairs and it's not a climb for the out-of-shape.

You can also buy what's called the PassLib' from the tourism office which includes a museum pass, a transit pass, a ticket for a river cruise and a bus tour. This isn't a bad deal as the price of everything separate would be more. For 20 euro more you can schedule a visit to the Eiffel Tower. I did this once and while I still had to stand in line awhile it wasn't the usual 2+ hour shitshow. It used to be much easier but now everyone has to go through security which slows things down. However you just show up a few minutes before your scheduled time with your pass in hand and you get to cut in the line.

It's hard to recommend just one restaurant as there are about a million of them, but for the most part you're not gonna go wrong just plopping down at any place that grabs your fancy. For something more in depth you'll want to specify how much you're willing to spend, the type of food, etc. It's fuckin' Paris man, they have Michelin starred restaurants like the USA has convenience stores. Also if you don't speak French nobody GAF, just know hello, please, thank you, etc. In spite of the reputation I've never had a single Parisian be rude to me.

Also don't take cabs unless you're out late at night, the Metro/bus will get you anywhere you need to go and it's not hard to figure out. You'll be there for a short enough time that a Visite will probably do you fine, it's a little more than a Navigo but then you don't have to deal with getting the card and all that poo poo. If you're landing at DeGaulle you can take the RER 2 into the city for about $12 and then take a Metro to wherever you're staying. A cab will run you 5x that at least.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Need a rec for a good steakhouse in the Kansas City area. It’s my dad’s 80th birthday and we want to take him somewhere nice. If it was up to his wife they’d have the buffet at Golden Corral

Like to keep it under $75 per person (nobody is a big drinker so wine isn’t important) since I’ll be picking up the whole tab. Also someplace accessible, the ol’ man can’t do flights of stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'll look into 'em, thanks!