Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«59 »
M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Lavi starts to head towards the great entrance of the Citadel, though your battle with the dragon has caused even more of the old edifice to collapse. But as he turns, the great doors slowly creak open, sending dust cascading from the ceiling. The evening sun streams in through the door, revealing a small army of paladins, scouts, and soldiers, led by Captain Aurelion. They march into the ruins, taking in the dead dragon that is now the centerpiece of the Golden Dome. You count out the people in this sudden entourage. There is Captain Aurelion with a small number of paladins, Master Toylson and a couple of his apprentices, Sergeant Rurik, and even the Spelunkers. Captain Aurelion walks to the center of the dome, regarding each of you in turn.

"I rallied the troops when we saw that golden pillar of light. An impressive spell."
He walks forward to the corpse of Jaxarus, eyes alight and taking in the dead dragon. Its blood and molten skin still hisses and spits, but its eyes are grey and lifeless. Aurelion Aurectus stands face to snout with it, as if considering something.
"Finally. A way out of this hole." He mutters to himself.

And with a swift motion, he thrusts his sword into the beast's head. He turns back to his assembled forces, voice booming.

"Let it be known that I, Captain Aurelion of the Golden Paladins, have slain the red dragon, with the aid of my soldiers and a group of adventurers known as the Dragon Slayers. The adventurer's brave actions led the way, but it was the paladins of the Golden Legion who struck the killing blow."

There is a murmur among the assembled troops. Rurik steps forward, pointing a finger at the Dragon Slayers and looking upset.
"Oy, Captain, what in the pit do-"

Aurelion interrupts.
"With this great victory, you can rest assured our long penitence is over. Rurik's scouts will be reassigned to Horizon patrol, and the Spelunkers will be granted extended leave and permission to return to Forge. As for the paladins under my command, I have no doubt we will be reassigned to our rightful place at the forefront of the battle against evil."
The paladins cheer, obviously overjoyed. As for Rurik and the Spelunkers, you can see that this offer is quite tempting, and for now they're not willing to speak against Aurelion. Toylson looks on impassively.

---

As this unfolds, Ryu hears the sound of tumbling rocks behind him. He turns to see Corporal Peddy making his way inside the newly made hole in the wall.
"Hey, Ryu, right? Rurik mentioned you, I have you to thank for getting me out, right? I owe you one, that's for- what the hell is all this?"

You Empire 5 is, now that you've rescued Corporal Peddy, Rurik or Peddy owes you a favor that can be used, at the very least, for a magic item. Or something else helpful, if you so desire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013

Moju

Moju slames its hat back onto its barrel as the dragon falls, emerald eyes flashing in delighted avarice. As Jaxarus begins to cool, the construct has already unlimbered its hatchet and started forward. "I don't need the wings," it replies, waving a hand at Lavi. "Just the insides."

The paladins pile in, and Aurelion strides up to shove his sword into Jaxarus' skull. Moju stops, staring. "What-- I was going to eat that brain!" it protests. "Wonderful. I hope stabbing a dead dragon makes you feel good inside. Humans." Moju continues to grumble as it shifts course towards Jaxaru's chest, flourishing the hatched a few times before striking the first blow against the dragon's metallic chest.

"Hh," it grunts. "This may take a while."

Recharge Mind Rot (6+): 1d20 10

pre:
Stats		Per Encounter				Daily				
HP	30/36	[ ] Color Spray (Cyclic)		[x] Acid Arrow
AC	17	[ ] Barrier (Recharge 11+)
PD	14	[ ] Mind Rot (Recharge 6+)	
MD	14

Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	5/8 (1d6+3)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach.

Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

"Hey, what are you--" Lavi sputters as Aurelion claims their hard earned kill all for himself. At first Lavi gets on all fours, arching his back and ready to pounce on the paladin when a better thought comes to mind. Instead he stands up on his hind legs, licks his paw to slick his hair back, and steps forward.

"Congratulations on your glorious victory Aurelion. The Dragon Slayers were very glad to assist you in this task." Lavi says, keeping his eyes locked on Aurelion as he steps closer. "Now, I do want to make sure we handle the delicate matter of your payment for our services, so that we can all be on our merry way and tell the world of your great...triumph."

(Willing to let Aurelion go ahead and take the glory, but he's gonna have to pay extra for our silence.)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

bloody phoneposting, lost the post. Sorry, cliff notes: Toylson will offer a favor in exchange for taking a sample from Moju. Aurelion is a dick who disrespects Lavi and seems confident that you can't prove anything or blackmail him

M.c.P fucked around with this message at Apr 3, 2015 around 00:57

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Isaac Boreas

Isaac cracks a crooked smile after the captains little speech. "Leverage. Oh how I love leverage." He can feel Pyrrhus fuming through their spiritual link. "What a cowardly piece of poo poo! Let me at him! Let's see if he can stab this dragon just as easily as the carcass on the floor!" Isaac shakes his head gently and commands Pyrrhus to his side.

Isaac claps his hands loudly. "Bravo! I am sure bards will sing tales about your prowess in stabbing lifeless corpses for a dozen ages, now let's hash out the details of your fraud, Captain Arectus."

Still facing Aurelion Isaac makes a sweeping motion towards Lavi. "If you truly wish to steal the honor of the descendant of the Golden Wyrm's champion under the very roof - well, what remains of it - of the Golden Citadel itself then we shall require compensation. Your preposterous claims that the scale would be stolen are wildly unfounded, we can easily prove that he is exactly who I say he is and I think it is about time that you realize what position you are in. While I am not familiar with the exact code you are supposed to live by as a Golden Paladin I sincerely doubt that you are acting in accordance with it, and it would be trivial for us to prove the misguided actions that you have committed. We offer you our silence and a trophy taken from the dragon. In exchange we shall require what remains of the dragon and a substantial consulting fee. Seeing what a captain of the Golden Paladins is capable of I presume that the name is anything but symbolic, so would the good captain kindly scrounge up some of that precious metal which name you bear in your title?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Aurelio's raises an eyebrow.
"Golden Wyrm's Champion? What are you going on about?

And as for this proof, you'll find my whole company will vouch for the truth of the matter, and they will be more than willing to discredit you as opportunistic liars. Right men?"

There is an affirmation from the others, but some of the soldiers, including Rurik and the Spelunkers, shuffle their feet and don't do much.

"I said Right, men?"
This time there is a scattered chorus of "Ayes".

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Isaac Boreas

"Ah yes, how thoughtless of me, you do not know about the Champion. Only those that were actually present during the slaying of the dragon would possess that knowledge. Well, I will let you have this one for free, but if you want more details it is going to cost you dearly." Pyrrhus snaps his teeth at Aurelion.

Isaac turns to face the entire congregation. "The golden pillar of light was not some mere cantrip, it was a spiritual legion of ancient heroes of the Golden Wyrm that took up arms to defend the Citadel. True heroes, that even in their death displayed the courage and might befitting of the Paladins of the Golden Order. Leading their charge was a battle-scarred Felyne, the Champion of the Golden Wyrm and Lavi's ancestor. If you want proof you only need to step down this hole and seek your way to the ancient tomb of the champion, which Lavi unlocked with the golden scale that has been passed down in generations throughout his line. The spelunkers should know of the location I am talking about, as they guided us to it after we saved their lives from the monsters that inhabit the catacombs. But in the interest of time, I believe Ryu has something that will sate your curiosity." Isaac motions towards Ryu and Lavi as he fades into the background to prepare a ritual that would help... Persuade the paladins.

Prepare the Ritual of Terror!: Preparation time: 1d4 2 minutes.

Ritual of Terror (Intelligence + Master's in Death + Level): 1d20+4+5+2 23

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at Apr 3, 2015 around 18:42

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Ryu Kazama
Holding the massive golden brick aloft for all to see, Ryu points at the symbol. "The face of the Wyrm, in the family crest of my Felyne companion's ancestor. Believe what you will of the Dragon Slayers as a group, but you've just seen what your Captain will do in the name of glory, and you see now that it's not his heraldry I bring from the tomb beneath the Citadel. And maybe the spirits of the Wyrm's chosen are too busy to deal with one glory-seeking paladin, but a whole company? I heartily recommend, in the name of Wyrm and Emperor alike, that you immediately recognize the Wyrm's Champion, Lavi, and strip Aurelion of his position for his treason against the Gold. Otherwise, well, I'm not sure what the previous Champion meant by 'I will be watching,' but I'm guessing it doesn't bode well for the craven and the prideful."

"Rurik, you always did have an instinct for self-preservation," Ryu adds. "I'll trust you to pick the right side in all of this."

I'll filibuster until the ritual is ready. Was gonna aid Isaac's check with a roll of my own, but forgot you can't actually do that in this game plus I rolled a 1

pre:
Ryu Kazama, Human Stalwart 2
Stats		Per-Battle	Daily
HP 30/40	[ ] Power Stunt	[ ] Divine Stamina (recharge 11+)
AC	18
PD	16
MD	13
Recoveries 1/8 (2d10+3)	Greatness NO
Melee: 1d20+7+ED; 2d10+5

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Your words set off a flurry of whispers among the assembled soldiers.
"-thought the Champion was a myth-"
"-knew I saw faces in that light-"
"-the captain is taking this too far-"

Aurelion ignores the gossip for now, instead glaring at the stone in Ryu's hands.
"Easily forged!" He spits. "That the great Wyrm would truck with a cat mocks his strength and honor!"

"There's only one mockery here, captain."
Rurik steps forward
"And you can stuff your cushy vacation patrols. These people risked their lives to save this place, and saved more than one of our number from a painful death. If you truly stood for honor, you would give these heroes the respect they deserve."

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach.

Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

Lavi hisses as Aurelion points to the piece from the Champion's tomb and calls it fake. "Then go take a look yourself, into the catacombs wrecked wide open by Jaxarus. That's just one stone, but the murals down there prove our story is true. So tell me, who do you think they are likely to believe more?"

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013

Moju

Moju emerges from Jaxarus' chest cavity looking rather ghoulish. It stops and stares at the man Toylson, emerald eyes dimming in disapproval. "I think not," it says with a huff. "Keep your hands to yourself, sir." As if in emphasis, it flicks the blood and gore from its hatchet with this last syllable.

Turning to watch the collapse of the Paladin's deceit, Moju can't help but feel a warm glow in the pit of its barrel. "You are grasping at the wind, Aurelion. It is undignified."

pre:
MD	14

Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	5/8 (1d6+3)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Toylson frowns and sighs.
"Well, in that case, would you mind getting for me the dragon's liver, stomach, and a length of small intestine while you're in there? I was promised at least that much for my assistance."

With the soldiers, Isaac's surreptitious ritual begins to take effect. Slowly, at first, but the assembled soldiers begin to argue with each other.
"I can handle imps, not vengeful spirits!"
"Shut up, the captain could have us flogged!"
"I just want to get reassigned out of this pit damned ruin!"
"Watch your tongue! This place is holy!"

Rurik and Aurelion are glaring daggers at each other, and the soldiers keep looking to them for a sign of what to do next. The room feels charged, but what happens next is anyone's guess.

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013

Moju

Moju shrugs, turning back towards the dripping opening in Jaxarus' corpse. "Very well," it grumbles, heading back inside. "Severing the intestines will cause quite a stench, though."

Inside, it hums a little dirge as it begins carving its way to the liver and stomach. It's delicate work, but the construct seems to be born to it.

pre:
MD	14

Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	5/8 (1d6+3)

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Isaac Boreas

With all eyes pointed towards the golden brick, Isaac can get to work without being noticed. He hastily draws intricate circles and shapes on the floor using the blood of those who have long ago passed to the afterlife, by doing this he would not summon any specific soul with the ritual, the point was instead to create something that would act as a vortex to draw any lost phantoms who for some reason or another still cling to this world. Isaac steps into the circle, closes his eyes and begins chanting quietly.

The atmosphere grows uneasy in the ruins as the stray spirits start to gather, despite them still being invisible to the naked eye. Releasing the spirits now would most likely cause everyone to experience terrifying visions and have nightmares for weeks, not exactly what Isaac had in mind. Instead he wills them to take on the forms of the recently departed ancient heroes, although flawed replicas and fewer in number it would hopefully be enough to be convincing.

The fake legion materializes in an instant in a ring formation around the arguing soldiers, the spirits shine golden and bright but their light is not warm, it is cold, harsh and judging. Next to Lavi appears the Felyne Champion who stands there gazing at the crowd.

"Repent." Her voice is hollow and rasping as she speaks. "Make amends now, for abandoning your code in the place most holy, or forever lose your rightful place at the side of the Great Gold Wyrm." The ghastly legion stands by watching the paladins with eyeless stares from their decaying faces as they slowly fade away.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

As the spirits take shape, all the assembled soldiers gaze around them in shock. The arguing stops, and there is a long moment of silence as they try to decide their next move.
Finally, Rurik speaks up.
"Well, sod this for a lark. Do what you will, Captain, but we're going to keep our honor and our lives. Retreat!"

In a bustle of metal, pounding feet, and only a little screaming, the soldiers make a hasty exit from the Citadel. Captain Aurelion doesn't follow. Instead, he stands there, sheet white, and stammering slightly.
"I... I only... I had thought..."

He falls to his knees, and slowly, like the release of a great flood, begins to weep.
"Spirits! I only wished to serve the Great Wyrm, to do good! But the Wyrm himself told me I was unworthy, that I was mistaken. I have been banished here, babysitting pilgrims and clearing vermin, but I only hoped that with a victory I could return to doing the most good I could! Oh spirits, forgive me! Forgive me!"

Isaac is a little perturbed. This is a bigger reaction than he had expected. It looks like the Captain has been harboring some problems as of late.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

"You still can."

Lavi steps forward, placing a paw on Aurelion's shoulder.

"Captain Aurelion Arectus, for your dishonorable actions against the Great Gold Wyrm, I hereby relieve you of your title and strip you of your rank as Paladin of the most high, the Golden Wyrm."

He taps Aurelion, to get him to look up.

"If you truly seek to do the most good for the world, then go. Walk with the honor you have shown now, and do the best work. Do not steal from others, fight for your own glory.

"Go now and seek your own path."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

"I... see. I think I can understand why I was turned away. In time, I think."

Aurelion Aurectus stays kneeling in the ruin, waving you off. You make your way to Scalehold camp in silence, leaving him there to contemplate his future. Dragging the choicer parts of a dragon with you, of course.

When you arrive at the camp, it is similarly quiet, with most of the soldiers trying to forget the frightening vision they were up against. Rurik, for now, is in charge, and you meet him in the command tent. He tosses you a small bag of gold.
"Apparently this was supposed to be your pay for today's work. What a deal, eh? I think the former captain was planning this from the beginning. But I think we can do you better than that."
He reaches under the desk and produces a significantly larger bag of gold and a small, gem covered ring.
"Peddy 'confiscated' this from the Captain's tent, his personal stash, minus our back pay. Plus a ring he always took when he went on parade, not much use to us, but you might like it."

Loot! You get:
Most of a dragon carcass
2,000 gold
A ring of Glory: Wearing this ring gives an aura of status that everyone can see, even if they don't know why.

Rurik nods, writes something down on a paper, and stands up.
"You have our thanks, and our apologies for the actions of Aurelion. I got to say, most of us here used to think of this as a punishment detail. Constant patrols, watching pilgrims, rear end end of nowhere. But I think from here on we'll try to take a little better care of it. What were you planning on doing with that stone, Ryu?"

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Ryu Kazama
"It's not mine to keep. With your permission, Lavi, I'd like to entrust this brick to Rurik here. He's a drat sight more worthy to protect it than Aurelion ever was, and I trust him not to get a big head about it."

pre:
Stats		Per-Battle	Daily
HP 30/40	[ ] Power Stunt	[ ] Divine Stamina (recharge 11+)
AC	18
PD	16
MD	13
Recoveries 1/8 (2d10+3)	Greatness NO
Melee: 1d20+7+ED; 2d10+5

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

"Hrm?" Lavi looks up from a chuck of stone he put from the Citadel that he put on the cart with the dragon. He's already started doodling depictions of the battle in the same style as the artwork in the tomb. "Oh, yeah, go ahead. It belongs in the Citadel, not with us anyway. Besides..." The felyne pats the stone chunk. "It's time for me to start making my own legend. Think this piece can fit neatly into our fireplace?"

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013

Moju

Moju hands a sack of innards to Toylson before heading wordlessly off with the rest of the Dragon Slayers. Along the way, it sheds its outer layer of jackets rather than bothering to clean all the blood and gore out of it, and by the time the team returns to camp Moju looks as good as new. Better, in fact. He seems to be nearly five feet tall now.

"If it does not fit, we will widen the fireplace," Moju assures Lavi. "It is a fine keepsake."

pre:
MD	14

Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	5/8 (1d6+3)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

"Thats... That's one hell of an honor, Dragon Slayers."
Rurik takes the stone carefully, holding it like a baby. The air seems charged, like great changes are being made at this moment. Rurik places the stone carefully on his desk, then takes out a bottle of wine and enough glasses for everyone.

"Sorry if you expected a bigger celebration. There's not many of us, and we still have patrols and cleaning up to do. And rebuilding the Citadel, of course. Even so, I hope you understand how much you've done for us."
He raises his glass.
"To the Dragon Slayers! May their legend be told as long as there are ears to hear it!"

---

When you arrive at New Port, Twelve takes his leave of you. He has been feeling out of control lately, and wishes to return to his temple to train and meditate.

Still, you arrive at your headquarters safely, with the comforting sound of Mack's shouts and the whack of training swords coming from the courtyard. The building itself looks quite a bit nicer. It looks like Sellie has renovated, cleaning the windows and re-grouting the brickwork. Inside the reception area now boasts a long carpet depicting a sword being thrust into a roaring dragon. Sellie looks up from some of her figures, and on seeing you, stands and waves.

"Hello! Welcome back! What happened out there? Hold on, let me get Mack and the trainees, they'll want to hear this."

Alright, welcome to level 3! Write a blurb about what you learned or discovered that lets you fight all the harder.
Also, please roll Icon Dice and Oracle of Hypnos.
Also, it's Ryu and Moju's turn to pick something up for the HQ that's cool and expensive. Party purse is currently 2050 gold.
Finally, whatever Lavi makes from the dragon bits, it should be for Ryu. Pick something heroic level you'd like, Captain Walker.
Still roll for it, Krysmpheonix, a good roll will get you some extra stuff.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Ryu Kazama
Ryu is torn. On the one hand, he got to suplex a dragon, and in every battle from now on he'll have to work double-time to top that. But the enemy grows yet stronger, and the few of them will not be enough to stand against the Three, possibly the Four. Not without casualties. Putting the thought from his mind, he speaks to Lavi as the trainees file in: "Lavi, this was your tale, it's only fair you should tell it. Twelve, smack him if he exaggerates too much."

It is here that Twelve reveals that he feels unbalanced, possibly a threat to the group, and Ryu nods. "Suppose it's for the best you tell us now, before it becomes a problem. Well, should you find your path again, there's a place for you here. Count on it."

He watches the monk go, staring out the door for a moment, then sets to work. "Sellie, I know it's supposed to be good for you to sleep on a hard surface, but I think better living conditions would do wonders to make sure that we can continue to expand. Barracks for the trainees, a nicer kitchen, quarters for the officers--I guess we're officers now--and maybe an apothecary if you can squeeze it in." He grins. "I've got some choice pipeweed says you can't do it for under eight hundred. Wanna prove me wrong?"

Ryu has come to realize just how much he relies on his companions, and the departure of Twelve is saddening. He dedicates himself to endurance training, taking to heart the weaknesses of his own body and striving to master it, as Twelve could not do.

I'm willing to budget 800 gold for the barracks and quarters, but I'm also rolling Streetwise to work with Sellie and reduce the price.
Streetwise (Wisdom, Dragon of Drakkenhall): 1d20+2+3+4 17

Swapping Limbs of Iron for Colossal Stamina. Picking up the feat for that and Bat Aside (and its feat) to help when I get hit. As far as items go, I'd like some Armor of Stone Flesh, if possible

Conflicted Emperor: 3#1d6 3 3 6
Negative Three: 1d6 2

pre:
Stats		At-Will		Limited
HP 55/55	Giant Strike	[ ] Power Stunt	(1/battle)
AC	19	Indomitable (G)	[ ] Rend (recharge 16+)
PD	18	Bat Aside (G)	
MD	14	Catching Mice (G)
Recoveries 8/8 (3d10+3)	Greatness YES
Melee: 1d20+8+ED; 3d10+5
Unarmed/Ranged: 1d20+7+ED; 3d6+4

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at Apr 7, 2015 around 15:52

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Ryu and Sellie go on a bit of a shopping adventure. While Sellie chats with old merchant buddies and goes bargain hunting, Ryu goes asking questions about who owns the buildings next to your headquarters. A little bit of snooping shows that one of them is a front for a small-time throne forging operation. Its a brisk evening's work and a few knocked heads to convince them of both the error of their ways and the great wisdom of selling their deed for a discount to the right people. And selling their machinist gear covers a lot of the costs as well!

All the work of moving the furniture, redecorating the new acquisitions, and cleaning a few of the blood stains lessens the sting of Twelve's departure. When you finish, the Dragon Slayers Headquarters is much larger, and quite impressive! You four, as the founders, have comfortable rooms to yourselves now as well, an improvement from when you bunked together in the attic and tried to ignore the sound of Pyrrhus' bare bones scraping on the wood.

Sellie works out a contract with an apothecary named Stibbons, who opens a branch store on the first floor facing the street. You get a convenient location, he gets regular customers and a bit of your notoriety.

Lessee, a roll like that drops the costs down to 650 gold. You have expanded the Headquarters and made it fully furnished! You now command a small group of trainees and veterans for various plot related activities, and can freely buy runes, oils, and potions of all kinds. No discount yet though.
Party purse down to 1400

Sellie also begins to put posters up around the city, something she had worked on with Mack while you were away.

quote:

Are you a Hero?
Can you stand with the greatest heroes of this age?
Join the Dragon Slayers, and prove your courage!
Win glory and riches as a member of this prestigious organization!

And then there's a pretty neat looking picture of a warrior holding a dragon in a chokehold.
It works out fairly well, as one day a gnome shows up on your doorstep, poster in hand, asking after the Dragon Slayers.

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

The gnome at the door does not look healthy. His skin has a white, bloodless pallor, and his pupils glow dimly with a reddish light. But he smiles amiably enough, and introduces himself.

"Willi Winto, renowned bard and close personal friend of the Lich King, at your service!" Willi holds out his hand, then considers. "People usually react badly when i start off with that. So let me just add that I'm a hero! Ask anybody!"

"I'm here about the ad. You're the Dragon Slayers? You slay dragons? I could get on board with that. Bunch of destructive, lying monstrosities, if you ask me. And I'm looking for a way to really boost my appeal, you know, show everybody once and for all that just because you're an" -Willi makes air-quotes- "'unholy abomination,' doesn't mean you're a bad guy."

"Don't worry, I can pull my weight! I fight just fine with this sword, and do magic, of both the bardy and wizardy varieties. And there's this book, too." He holds it up. It is a beautiful book, covered in colorful, intricate designs, though many are ruined by the mark of the Lich King scratched in the cover. "You won't find a better source of forgotten tales, not in all the lands! I used to call it my Book of Stories, and it's still that, but nowadays it's called the Book of Lich's Lore. He told me most of what's in there, after all."

"Well now, that's about it for my pitch. I do all sorts of things, and with me, you might get help from" -he indicates the mark on his Book- "an unexpected quarter. And hey, think about it- who's the most successful dragonslayer in history?"

Icon Dice (Lich King+, Three-, Three-, Emperor+-): 5, 2, 3, 2

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at Apr 7, 2015 around 12:06

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Isaac Boreas

Isaac nods solemnly as Twelve makes his farewells. It seemed like ages since Isaac had saved him from those ruffians in the alley, Twelve had shown great restraint back then but being forced to awaken the beast inside him this frequently must be tearing at his resolve.

"Be well, I hope that you will overcome the challenges that keep you from remaining with us and make your return soon." Pyrrhus rushes up and paws at Twelve's leg, accidentally drawing some blood with his sharp claws. "Pyrrhus says thanks for the bones." Isaac smiles sadly.

---

Travelling through the catacombs under the Golden Citadel had shown Isaac a different perspective on his craft. He could have spent years down there examining the wards and the ancient tombs, but something told him that the paladins would not be too keen on letting that happen, dragon slayer or not. Still, what little he had managed to see gave him quite a few ideas on how to bypass the holy energies that often protect spirits from unwanted interference.

---

Isaac has a hard time hiding his surprise as Willi introduces himself. "An undead and self proclaimed friend of the Lich King?" Isaac narrows his eyes. "What is your purpose here? Return to your master and tell him that Pakhal had no one to blame but himself for his failure, his deception forced us to deal with him." Isaac throws a quick wanting glance at the book Willi is clutching in his hands. "But first, show me that book."

---

Icon Rolls:
The Three, negative: 6
The Lich King, conflicted: 4
The Archmage, positive: 1

Picking up a skeletal minion feat that lets Pyrrhus use the escalation die on his attack rolls. Might swap some spells around before we set out on adventures again.

pre:
Isaac Boreas

Stats		Battle/At-will*		 Daily (Recharge)
HP	30/30	[ ] Command Undead I	 [ ] Summon Undead I
AC	14	[*] Chant of Endings III [ ] Terror I
PD	13				 [ ] Summon Horror III
MD	17				 [ ] Wave of Decay III
Rec.	8/8 (3d6-1)		 	 [ ] Tome of Foresight (16+)
Attack	+8 (Base +8, +0 ED)

Pyrrhus
HP	22/22	AC	19	Attack	9 + ED vs. AC
PD	17	MD	13	Damage	1d12

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Willi wraps his arms protectively around the book. "Whoa, there! I can see you're an enthusiast of the necromantic arts, but if I let you just flip through my Book, how could my tales delight and astound you? A bard has to have his secrets. As for 'Pakhal,' I have no idea who that is. Like I said, I'm here about the job! Heroic quests, monster slaying, that sort of thing. You did put out an ad, you know; I should think you'd be expecting a few adventuring sorts to turn up.

"I'll tell you what, though: since you're so interested in my Book, let's make a deal! I'll tell you a tale about the Lich King- one of my favorites, and one that I think you'll find quite fascinating- if you introduce me to your companion here." He waves at the skeletal wolf. "I don't believe this is any ordinary undead servant. Am I wrong?"

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at Apr 8, 2015 around 07:03

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Ryu Kazama
"Frankly, Isaac, you and Pyrrhus aren't exactly paragons of adventuring normalcy. We need all the help we can get. Mr. Winto, yes? I've heard rumors. Your qualifications are impeccable, but as you say, you're worryingly forthright with your allegiance. As long as you don't start advancing some sinister agenda that involves all of us becoming zombies, we will be happy to let you fight alongside us. Either you'll die horribly to a dragon and Isaac will have peace of mind, or you'll prove a productive member of the team and vindicate yourself."

pre:
Ryu Kazama, Human Stalwart 3
Stats		At-Will		Limited
PD	18	Bat Aside (G)	
MD	14	Catching Mice (G)
Recoveries 8/8 (3d12+3)	Greatness YES
Unarmed: 1d20+7+ED; 3d6+4

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at Apr 9, 2015 around 02:42

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Isaac Boreas

"The job?" Isaac regards the gnome with a confounded look. "He said something along those lines after he claimed to be a friend of the Lich King didn't he?" Pyrrhus snorts with derision. "Yes, that was pretty much all he talked about. May I suggest listening to what others tell you once in a while? Hello? Isaac?"
"What?"
"Just checking to see if you made it to the end of my sentence. Now introduce me to Willi, he seems like a fun sort."

Isaac grumbles and tries to shake Pyrrhus' voice out of his head. "So you are free from the Lich King's control? I must say I'm not accustomed to his agents being so... lively." Isaac evaluates Willi with a stare. "You are a peculiar specimen, bard. If you truly are here to slay dragons I think you may be of some use to us. I am Isaac Boreas, Master Necromancer. This is my minion Pyrrhus, whom you somehow noticed despite him having picked up the finer arts of subtlety from a thunderstorm." Pyrrhus grins, lacking lips is usually a detriment when it comes to facial expressions, but he's got that one down to perfection. "You are correct that he is not a common servant, but I think that I will keep the details to myself until I am fairly certain that I can trust you."

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at Apr 8, 2015 around 15:42

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Isaac and Ryu chat with Willi in the foyer, trying to decide what to make of their newest arrival. As they talk, another knock sounds at the door, and Sellie gets up from her desk to answer it. When she steps outside, you hear a short scream, the murmur of conversation, and she steps back inside, visibly shaking.

"A-a-a-a Ryu? Th-th-there's someone here to see you. N-named Lenela Swiftbrush."

Through the open door, the slit pupil of a dragon's eye can be seen, surrounded by silver scales. The creature is craning its neck down to peer in through the door, and it speaks in a voice that is fills the room with strange overtones.

"Greetings, Dragon Slayers. This one wishes to speak of matters concerning your illustrious members, specialties, and employment thereof. Can this one impose upon your hospitality and be invited inside?"

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Ryu Kazama
"Anyone you know, Kohryu?" Ryu murmurs. Stepping towards the door, he looks the dragon in the eye, and speaks in a low rasp, almost a whisper.

"In your infinite wisdom, great one, how did it not occur to you that the appearance of a dragon of any kind at the door of the Dragon Slayers seriously undermines our credibility as defenders of the realm? What will the neighbors say? You've made your point, but if you want to have us on your side, I've got to insist that you either come back in disguise, or meet us outside of town on neutral turf. For the moment, your best chance is to leave, right now, before the trainees get any funny ideas."

Ryu hopes beyond hope that the wyrm is willing to listen to reason. Even the nice ones are not known for their humility.

Dragon of Diplomacy (Charisma): 1d20+1+3+4 16

pre:
Stats		At-Will		Limited
PD	18	Bat Aside (G)	
MD	14	Catching Mice (G)

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at Apr 9, 2015 around 18:25

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

(Hey, sorry I haven't been around very much the past few days. Had a couple tests that I needed to study for.)

Icon Dice: GGW and The Three: 2d6 6,6 1d6 2 (Welp. I don't want to take the spotlight again this time, so we'll figure something out.)

After they returned back, Lavi dragged the severed wing into his workshop, trying to figure out what to do with it. An idea popped in his head, to use it to create some kind of flying contraption, but unfortunately he didn't have the means to do it. "I'm going to need another wing..."

Then Lavi spent a great deal of time training with Ryu and his recruits, with new found inspiration to develop his fighting techniques after seeing Ryu suplex the dragon like it was nothing. Unfortunately his small size wasn't going to allow something crazy like that (unless it was a baby dragon), but he learned a few tricks in the process. Something to mix it up.

The time the Felyne spent resting was peeling all of the molten gold off of the dragon skin. He didn't have very much use for that gold, but he did his best to take as much off as he could so he could sell it. Watching Ryu's endurance training gave him an idea to help give his friend a little extra edge. Ryu didn't have much connection with the Great Gold Wyrm, much more strongly connected with the silver dragons. With all of the gold peeled off of the red dragon's hide, Lavi fashioned it with a coating of silver.

Crafting the Armor of Stone Silver Flesh: 1d20+2+4+3 18 (Since you said this would affect cost, this was flavored as selling the gold and buying silver)

Holding the silvered armor to present to Ryu, Lavi stops in place when he realizes that there is a dragon standing right outside their door, trying to come in. Nervously he looks down at the armor, and tries to hide it behind his back before the dragon gets any wrong ideas.

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013

Moju

On returning to the base, Moju again retreats to its curtained off alcove to make alterations, but soon finds it has outgrown this space. Cursing, it stumbles out half-dressed (in only three layers of overcoats) and approaches Sellie. "I require a workshop and tools. For working wood, leather and bone. This cupboard is no longer sufficient." Moju pauses, as if trying to remind itself of some pleasantry. After a moment it gives up. "Soon."

While it waits, Moju studies. It has gained new insights into its magical abilities since ingesting the heart of Jaxarus, in addition to growing in size. It thinks back to its less than stellar manipulation of electricity against the dragon, and works tirelessly (for it rarely sleeps) to devise new strategies, new methods of electrical manipulation with which it may redeem itself in the eyes of its compatriots. Soon, Moju has built additions to its body which will channel electricity more efficiently-- though with some danger to itself.

When a dragon comes to the door, Moju is less than amused. It turns to the others while Ryu speaks to the beast. "If it wishes to commit suicide, this is a strange way to go about the wretched business. Profitable for us, perhaps, but strange."

pre:
HP	45/45	[ ] Color Spray (Cyclic)		[ ] Acid Arrow
AC	18	[ ] Barrier (Recharge 11+)			[ ] Corrosive Cloud 	
PD	15	[ ] Mind Rot (Recharge 6+)			[ ] Lightning Bolt
MD	15

Hatchet		1d20+3 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	8/8 (1d6+3)

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Given mcp mentions it has 'silver' scales, I'm pretty sure it's a silver dragon, yeah. Also its way too polite to be chromatic

Willi Winto

Willi looked at the dragon in amazement. "Whoa! Interesting day you fellows are having, eh? Or I suppose us fellows, now."

Still, he wasn't going to let anything get in the way of proper introductions. He turned away and went to wring the hands of the Dragon Slayers who, having entered and seen a peaky gnome and a dragon in the foyer, were understandably focusing on the dragon. "Charmed, charmed! I'm Willi Winto, bard, hero, good friend of the lich king, et cedera, et cedera. And prospective Dragon Slayer, now! Looking forward to working with you!"

pre:
Willi Winto, Gnome Bard 3

Stats	                 Battle Cries		Songs/Spells/Etc
HP 45/45	         Hang Tough!            [ ] Song of Heroes (Recharge 11+)
AC      17	         Pull It Together!	[ ] Vicious Mockery (Recharge 11+)
PD	15	         It's All Yours!	[ ] Confounding (OPB)
MD	15	                                [ ] Song of Aid (Daily)
Recoveries 8/8 (3d8+2)                          [ ] Soundburst (Daily)
Melee: 1d20+6; 3d8+3                            [ ] Sleep (Daily)
Ranged: 1d20+6; 3d6+3                           [ ] Book of Lich's Lore (Item, Recharge 16+)
Spell To-Hit: 1d20+7

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at Apr 10, 2015 around 02:43

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

whoops, I'm a visual learner

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013

Moju

Moju looks blankly at the gnome for a moment as he introduces himself, then slowly its emerald eyes dim and brighten again-- the closest it comes to a blink. "Ah," it says, slowly shaking the gnome's hand with its own heavily padded one. "I am afraid I mistook you for Sellie. Welcome. I am Moju, a Dragon Slayer."

pre:
HP	45/45	[ ] Color Spray (Cyclic)		[ ] Acid Arrow
AC	18	[ ] Barrier (Recharge 11+)			[ ] Corrosive Cloud 	
PD	15	[ ] Mind Rot (Recharge 6+)			[ ] Lightning Bolt
MD	15

Hatchet		1d20+3 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	8/8 (1d6+3)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Dont forget your icon dice and oracle roll, WhyCalibur.

Brief flashback!

Sellie acquits herself well again, purchasing a wide variety of leather working knives, grindstones, vats, and files for Moju's rather unique craft. His new workshop ends up next to Lavi's forge, with the understanding that they could share tools as a cost saving measure. By the time there are any objections, all the heavy things have been moved in. Hopefully the two would make good working neighbors.

Lavi, in the meantime, fashions an excellent dragon skin robe for Ryu that gleams silver and offers excellent protection. Thankfully, he was able to sell the metal covering to cover most of the costs, and get a little extra besides. The buyers of metal dragon skin coverings tend to be a bit eccentric, and so Lavi ended up with a one use rune as a bonus.

the workshop for Moju costs 600.
Ryu's new armor is only an extra 100 (most of the cost last time was refitting a forge) and Lavi gets one (1) Weapon rune as well, as found in the 13th age book.

----

The dragon regards Ryu somewhat cooly.
"This one, to one's shame, is Lenela Swiftbrush, silver dragon and frequent patron of New Port. Does this one have the honor of meeting Ryu Kazama? The Dragon Slayers need not fear misunderstanding, this one is known to the authorities of New Port. But privacy in matters of discussion are necessary, so this one will instead consider your warning as an invitation."

She extends her wings, and there is a huge rush of air as she flaps her wings and launches herself into the sky, nearly bowling over Sellie and Willi. Screams and shouts from the training courtyard indicate where she probably landed.

As you rush inside, Ryu feels a reassurance from Kohryu. Lenela is a bit young and after Kohryu's time, but Silver Dragons have been known to look after cities and become involved in their arts communities. They are eminently trustworthy as protectors. If a bit haughty in such a role.

In the training courtyard, the trainees and Mack are pressed against the walls, with some of the braver ones waving swords in Lenela's direction. The dragon herself pays them absolutely no mind, though, instead turning to address you directly.
"To acknowledge the value of the Dragon Slayer's time, this one will be brief. This one places herself in opposition to the organization known as the Black Fang. Recent findings leave this one certain that the Black Fang is planning an assassination, though much relevant information remains regretfully unclear. This one would enlist the Dragon Slayers to prevent this, but first, this one regrets to make a serious imposition."

She lowers her head and faces Ryu, great snout no more than a foot away from him.

"This one wishes to see the tattoo of Ryu Kazama, though such a request is of the greatest rudeness."

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013

Oracle of Hypnos: 1d6 5
Icon Rolls: 3#1d6 5 1 3 ~Dwarf King, -Archmage, +Prince of Shadows

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Ryu Kazama
Ryu's face softens, and for a moment flushes with embarrassment when the dragon responds to his usual bluster with measured tones. "If you oppose the Black, honored one, you are no enemy of ours. I must apologize for my own rudeness. Frankly, I think I speak for all of us when I say the Dragon Slayers have yet to encounter a dragon that didn't want to slay us as well. Allow me to atone."

He faces the trainees, considering them for a moment, then steps towards the ones who look most likely to attack. "Now hear this! I know what you're thinking! You all signed up to kill dragons, and here one is! But I've got news for you, so listen up: dragons are not the big ugly red, blue and black things that spit fire and eat children. Those aren't dragons. Those are overgrown lizards, who aspire beyond their station because they're bigger and smarter and meaner than us."

He starts getting himself really worked up, and turns to address the whole courtyard. "A true dragon has honor! A true dragon has courage! A true dragon doesn't skulk about, or hide from his foes! A true dragon walks right the gently caress up to his enemy's front door and cries kenzan, I have arrived! And when comes with a request, hat in hand, a true dragon listens as he would to a friend.

In one motion, he rips off his shirt and cloak, revealing the burning tatoo of Kohryu. "Ask for aid against the Black Hand, Lenela Swiftbrush, the Silver, and we stand ready to provide it! Attack, and you shall find the same fate as Jaxarus and the Oracle! For they don't call us the Dragon Slayers because we slay dragons. They call us Dragon Slayers because we are dragons!"

pre:
Stats		At-Will		Limited
PD	18	Bat Aside (G)	
MD	14	Catching Mice (G)

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Isaac Boreas

"See Isaac? That's a guy that gets dragons. Except for when he ragged on spitting fire. If you're not breathing some sort of death out of your mouth then you're not a proper dragon! Oh, and you need scales, wings, tail, not be a puny loving human and such and such, but hey, at least he's got spirit!"
"An astute observation as always, Pyrrhus. Tell me, how many of those characteristics that you listed do you currently possess?"
"More than you at least! But after that episode with the garlic stuffed roast I'll have to give you one point for having a killer breath, hah!"

Having had enough of Pyrrhus' insolence Isaac turns to the Silver Dragon after the approving roars of the trainees have quieted down. "If lady Swiftbrush is satisfied I trust that there are more details? Saying that the Black Fang are planning an assassination is practically a tautology, I would be more distressed to hear that the Black is not planning to have someone killed. Who is the target?"

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at Apr 10, 2015 around 01:02

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

Lavi buries his face in his paws. "We get the point, Ryu, put your shirt on."

«59 »