Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«56 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010



Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

Lavi, meanwhile, is having the time of his life as he continues running through the line of kobolds and knocking them down. "You thought you could outwit us? Too bad, I have fought jaggi with brains bigger than yours!"

Attacking archer kobolds: 1d20+3+1 17 1d10+2 12
(And another two green kobolds bite the dust!)

pre:
Lavi, Felyne Paladin 1
Stats		1/Turn		1/Battle	1/Day
HP	33/33	[ ] War Domain	[ ] Evasive	[ ] War Invocation
AC	19			[ ] Smite	[ ][ ] BBQ
PD	14					[ ][ ][ ] Smite
MD	14
Recoveries 8/8 (1d10+3)		
Melee Attack: +3 vs AC; 1d10+2 damage
Implacable: Roll saves at start of turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama
The construct's healing magic puts the wind back in Kazama's sails, so to speak, but does little else.

Recovery: 1d10+3 4

pre:
Ryu Kazama, Half-Orc Stalwart 1
Stats		Per-Battle		Recharge			Daily
HP	18/30	[x] Racial: Lethal	[x] Divine Stamina
AC	17	[ ] Power Stunt
PD	15		
MD	11
Recoveries 6/8 (1d10+3)	Greatness YES
Melee: 1d20+5+ED; 1d10+4

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at Feb 2, 2015 around 03:37

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

The kobold gurgles out a response from inside Ryu's grip.
"Dumb... human apparently wishes... to die!"
In a show of skill or desperation, his sword comes up between them and slashes at Ryu's arm. Ryu drops the kobold, who immediately scampers away underneath the wild swings of the other Orc.
The kobold turns and fixes Ryu with a wild glare.
"And now I grant your wish! Archers, fire!"
One tiny arrow sails from the treetops and embeds itself in Ryu's foot. It is only now that the leader looks around and realizes how many of his allies have died.
The spear wielding kobold, in the meantime, has finally managed to get his spear away from Phyrrus and has backed away from the skeletal dog. It looks with fear at his leader, but receives only threats and orders in return. They certainly feel outnumbered, but somehow still stand strong.

Kobold hero swings on Ryu, hits! 6 damage and other kobolds do more damage to him!
attempts to disengage, succeeds!
Two archers fire at Ryu, one hit! 6 more damage
Last archer fires at Lavi, miss
Warrior attack Phyrrus, miss!
Attempts to disengage, makes it!

Mooks still in trees, yadda yadda. -2 to attacks to AC and PD.
Kobolds are evasive, no miss damage.
Warrior will intercept anyone moving to get the Hero
Escalation die is 2, Everyone is up.




pre:
Kobold Hero            29/34 HP AC18 PD16 MD12
Warrior Red            17/22 HP AC18 PD15 MD12
Archer Mooks Yellow    12/30HP(6) AC16 PD14 MD10
Archer Mooks Green    6/30HP(6) AC16 PD14 MD10

M.c.P fucked around with this message at Feb 2, 2015 around 01:32

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

Isaac decides that preventing harm by causing harm is to be preferred over just preventing it. Once again his chanting eerily echoes around the area and the weak-minded kobold archers drop their bows to claw at their ears, trying to get his voice out of their heads. One of them slumps over dead and the remaining kobold is filled with immense fear of death, knowing that it was next. As its mind teeters on the edge of life and death Isaac gives it a tiny push in the wrong direction, harvesting what remains of its soul and linking the rejuvenating energies to Ryu.

Chant of Endings vs. Archer Mooks (Yellow): 1d20+8 23, Hit! for 1d10+4 8 Damage! One mook dies, last one is left at 4 hp.

Death Knell: The last yellow mook dies, Ryu gets healed for 1d6 3 HP.

"Where are you running, tiny scales? I haven't feasted upon your neck yet!" Phyrrus lunges after the kobold but it manages to put up its spear in time to block.

Phyrrus engages and attacks Kobold Warrior (Red): 1d20+6 16, Miss!

pre:
Isaac Boreas

Stats		Battle/At-will*		Daily
HP	18/18	[ ] Drain Life		[ ] Summon Undead
AC	12	[*] Chant of Endings	[ ] Unholy Blast
PD	11
MD	15
Rec.	8/8 (1d6-1)	Attack Mod. +8 (Base +6, +2 ED)

Phyrrus
HP	10/14	PD	15	Attack	+6 vs. AC
AC	17	MD	11	Damage	1d6

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2015 around 01:14

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Smooth soft red velvety lungs.


Twelve Serene Star

"YOU ARE INJURED, SMALL HUMAN!" The Orc Lord bellows at Ryu. "YOUR CORPSE WILL BE OF NO USE TO US IN FURTHER BATTLES!"

Once more charging, the huge figure, but this time his flurry of blows fail to strike.

"THESE PUNY CREATURES ARE TOO SMALL TO EVEN HIT!"

As if to illustrate the point, he pounds the ground with a mass of vicious blows that tear up the earth, but fail to even touch the kobold.

Engage with Warrior Red
MBA against Warrior, Damage: 1d20+4 8 1d10+3 5
Using Racial: Lethal to reroll
And again: 1d20+4 11 1d10+3 11
Still no dice!



pre:
Twelve Serene Star

Stats		Battle/At-will*		Daily
HP	30/30	[*] Red Mist            [ ] Fully Unleash The Orc Lord Spirit
AC	15	[ ] Blood Lust        	[ ] Building Frenzy
PD	15      [X ] Racial: Lethal
MD	11
Rec.	8/8 (1d10+3)
MBA     1d20+4; 1d10+3

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama
edit: just the rally I guess

pre:
Ryu Kazama, Half-Orc Stalwart 1
Stats		Per-Battle		Recharge			Daily
HP	18/30	[x] Racial: Lethal	[x] Divine Stamina
AC	17	[ ] Power Stunt
PD	15		
MD	11
Recoveries 5/8 (1d10+3)	Greatness YES
Melee: 1d20+5+ED; 1d10+4

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2015 around 02:02

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010



Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

"Ryu!" Lavi shouted, seeing Ryu take a couple hits from the kobolds. Mindlessly he knocked over the last archer kobold with his sword...

Attacking archer kobolds: 1d20+3+2 18 1d10+2 9

...and hopped off the small cliff (landing perfectly on his feet) to Ryu's side. "Do you need an extra paw?"

(Using move action to move on over to Ryu, and offering some BBQ as a quick action. Since I'm limited to 2/day, it's up to Walker if you want to take it now or hope everyone else's healing is enough with the archer's taken care of for now.)

pre:
Lavi, Felyne Paladin 1
Stats		1/Turn		1/Battle	1/Day
HP	33/33	[ ] War Domain	[ ] Evasive	[ ] War Invocation
AC	19			[ ] Smite	[ ][ ] BBQ
PD	14					[ ][ ][ ] Smite
MD	14
Recoveries 8/8 (1d10+3)		
Melee Attack: +3 vs AC; 1d10+2 damage
Implacable: Roll saves at start of turn.

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013



Moju

"Try dodging," Moju suggests, moving up and continuing to fling magic towards the Kobolds. As Isaac and Lavi finish off the archers, Moju switches its focus to the warrior standing between the front-line fighters and the leader of the beasts. An invisible jackhammer punch comes out of nowhere to take the Kobold Warrior in the gut. "Let us finish this swiftly. I tire of this distraction."

MAGIC attack (Untyped): 1d20+7 22
MAGIC damage roll (Untyped): 1d8+4 9

pre:
Stats		Per Encounter				
HP	30/30	[ ]    Protective Casting	
AC	15	[x][ ] Touch of Life
PD	14		
MD	14

MAGIC		1d20+5 / 1d8+4 (Lightning, Cold, Untyped)
Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	6/8 (1d6+4)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

The two kobolds facing you can only watch as Isaac and Lavi effortlessly carve through their support. And the menacing forms of the Orc Lord and Phyrrus promise certain pain. It's too much for the warrior. He turns tail, barely dodging Twelve's swinging claws, and makes for the safety of the woods. His leader curses at him to return, but it proves fruitless. The leader takes a second to consider his options, before dropping his own banner and fleeing the scene.
"Bah! Bringing an Orc is cheating! I will come back later to kill you, human!"

Quick as they are, they only have short legs. You could probably stop them if you tried.

DC 15 background to stop these guys if you so desire. Otherwise, spend recoveries!

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

Isaac can feel the warrior's mind radiating terror. The kobold tries to run for his life, but Isaac makes sure that he's is running from it instead.

"Too often it is forgotten that fear itself is something to be feared. Let this be a reminder for you as I send you on the final journey!"

Stopping the kobold dead in his tracks: (Master's in Death + Intelligence + Level) 1d20+5+4+1 28! McP let me death knell him even though he's at 8 hp

Death Knell: The Kobold Warrior dies, Ryu heals for 1d6 2 HP.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama
Cursing to himself, Ryu acknowledges his recklessness. "I'm sorry, I endangered you all. I'm...not used to working with a team." He grimaces as he bandages his wounds. "Where did the wagon get to?"

Recharge (Divine Stamina): 1d20 9 nope
Recovery: 1d10+4 13

pre:
Ryu Kazama, Half-Orc Stalwart 1
Stats		Per-Battle		Recharge			Daily
HP	30/30	[ ] Racial: Lethal	[x] Divine Stamina
AC	17	[ ] Power Stunt
PD	15		
MD	11
Recoveries 4/8 (1d10+3)	Greatness YES
Melee: 1d20+5+ED; 1d10+4

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

The Hero is also running, if anyone wants to catch him as well.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Smooth soft red velvety lungs.


Twelve Serene Star

"YOU CANNOT RUN FROM THE ORC LORD!" the monster roars, leaping over him in a single bound. He lands directly in front of the hero with a thud. "YOU WERE WRONG TO CHALLENGE ME AND MINE! YOUR ALLIES WILL BE TORN TO SHREDS!"

He rips the kobold's banner from its back, snaps the wooden pole attached to it in half, then plunges the jagged end through the creature's stomach. It does not occur to him that anyone might have questions for the kobold.

"YOUR JOURNEY ENDS HERE LITTLE LIZARD, AND YOUR MASTERS WILL FALL WITH EQUAL EASE!"

Stop!: 1d20+2+4+1 20

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

The kobold spits blood in the Orc Lord's face.
"I... am proud... to die in service... of the Oracle..."
The kobold falls limp, dead.

Behind you, the Darvey brothers climb out from under their cart and burst into praise. They've gone on this route plenty of times, and had to deal with their share of cutthroats, but this is the first time they've run into an ambush like that. Thankfully, your skill and prowess defeated these kobolds pretty easily!

Gonna time skip, if you had anything else to take care of, feel free to post and we'll make time a little fluid.

---

Its not too long after that you pull into the town of Wickersham. Its a simple affair consisting mostly of log cabins and a small imperial post. This close to the Wild Wood, stone buildings don't last long, but a three story tower seems to stand in defiance of the High Druid. Close to the entrance of the town, you can see an Inn, with a sign proclaiming the name, The Bawdy Elf.

An imperial soldier hails you at the gate, exchanging greetings and small talk with the Darveys. The brothers introduce you, and the guard lets out a sigh of relief.
"Well, masters, we're quite thankful you've turned up at all! Haven't gotten many traders in here ever since Young Terrence told us he saw a dragon, and we've been running low on salts and such. Bet your here to kill that beast, eh? You'll have to get in line though, buncha wizards showed up a day before you, they're holed up in Magister Fenroy's tower. And this bloke in a funny hat showed up a little before you, think he went to the inn."

This guard seems pretty chatty, and there's plenty of things you need to check still. The words of the Dragon Slayers Journal come forth in your mind.

To slay a Dragon posted:

To ensure the proper killing of a dragon, the appropriate steps must be made.
1. Scout or discover the dragon's color, and particular strengths. The beasts are as varied as the creatures they terrorize, and an unprepared force is a dead one.
2. Whether in the beasts lair or on your own ground, ensure that the creature can not escape your grasp. Few dragons fight to the death, they must be cornered else they escape to terrorize again.
3. When these are assured, attack the beast with great vigor, for the creatures become enraged in battle, fighting harder the longer the battle is prolonged.

At this point, you guys can split up and gather info. Some people have seen the dragon, there's some people in town also looking for it, and perhaps a few other things as well. Background checks won't be necessary unless you're up to something risky.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

"Could they find nobody else to hire as a guard other than the village gossip? At least he let slip where Pakhal is waiting. And... competition?"
"Do we really have to meet with him again? Ugh, let's just get it over with. I swear I'll bite him if he tries to scratch me like some dog again."
"You do realize the information he has might just be the key to restoring your true form?
"Yeah, yeah, I get it. I need to be subservient to yet another man dressed in weird clothes to not be stuck like this. Which ancient tomb did you necromancers exhume your fashion from anyway?"

Isaac rubs his forehead wearily before turning to the rest of the party.

"I will go and meet our contact to see if he's got any further details. I'd rather not have us crowd him, I think he will speak more freely if I meet him alone. There's much to do, I'm sure you will figure out something on your own."

Isaac leaves the party and walks towards The Bawdy Elf with Phyrrus following at his side.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama
"Twelve, I guess you and I should meet with the mages. Lavi, maybe you should find this Terrence? You'll probably have better luck persuading him to tell us what he knows than a burly warrior...or a living construct; no offense, Moju."

Pulling Twelve aside, Ryu confides in him. "Look, what we saw back there...don't get me wrong, it's a scary-rear end secret weapon you got locked in there. But I believe you can control it. Call it a gut feeling. No matter what happens, I got your back. That's a promise. Now let's go see what these eggheads have to say."

Kohryu says nothing, but a feeling of approval comes to Ryu as they set off.

pre:
Ryu Kazama, Half-Orc Stalwart 1
Stats		Per-Battle		Recharge			Daily
HP	30/30	[ ] Racial: Lethal	[x] Divine Stamina
AC	17	[ ] Power Stunt
PD	15		
MD	11
Recoveries 4/8 (1d10+3)	Greatness YES
Melee: 1d20+5+ED; 1d10+4

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Isaac makes his way into the inn. At this time of day, the farmers, cobblers, and other such people have finished their labor and have convened in the inn to drink and be merry. Its friendly, warm, and a bit loud, though not entirely rowdy. Isaac spots the man he's looking for quickly. Urfan Pakhal is drinking with a couple farmers and engaged in lively conversation, as if he was another member of this salt of the earth community. Urfan quickly spots Isaac, and making his excuses he gets up and walks to the fellow necromancer.


"Isaac, good of you to make it. No trouble on the road, I hope? Let me get you a drink, my treat, I insist! And here, I was saving this treat for your friend!"
Urfan produces a bone from somewhere in his robes and tosses it to Phyrrus. Phyrrus can't help but note it is a kobold's femur, largely picked clean.
"Ah, but you no doubt wish to discuss our mission. Well, lets take a seat, over here, a lovely quiet corner for us. Now, what did you want to start with?"

---

Ryu Kazama (and Twelve?) make their way to the stone tower in the center of town, apparently the abode of Magister Fenroy. Being rather obviously adventuring types, they are admitted into the living room on the first floor and treated to cups of warm cider while they wait. A manservant heads upstairs to inform the Magister of your arrival, and while you wait you can't help but hear a few snatches of conversation from upstairs.
"... heard they were nearly here... necromancers... a second one! ... in our way... Oracle must be... deal with them..."

Before too long, a human and a dark elf come down the stairs. The human is gaunt and bent over, wearing a small pince-nez and wearing a stained vest that seems covered in bulging pockets. The dark elf, in contrast, stands tall with the pride typical of elves, wearing pristine robes colored silver and dark blue. The human peers at each of you and speaks.
"Hmmm, yes. I am Magister Fenroy, representative of the Archmage in this town, and keeper of order on this blasted edge of the Wild Wood. I suppose you're here about the dragon? What can I do for you?"
The dark elf doesn't say a word.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2015 around 21:08

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013



Moju

Moju ensures that the brim of its hat is pulled down, its scarf is pulled up, and its coat is firmly shut. So attired, it could pass for a malformed dwarf. There is real work to be done here. "Do not worry. Enjoy pouring your fermented grains into your various orifices. I will research the dragon's lair."

So saying, Moju wanders off for the seedier parts of the village to listen in and see what he can hear. No doubt the local thieves are salivating at the prospects of the dragon's hoard; perhaps one of them has already located the lair, or even done some preliminary scouting. If Moju can figure out where exactly the dragon roosts, it can begin to plan a way to trap the beast and take it by surprise.

Eavesdropping on society's underbelly (Wis + High End Burglar): 1d20+3+4 8

Unfortunately, things don't go quite as planned for the diminutive burglar.

pre:
Stats		Per Encounter				
HP	30/30	[ ]    Protective Casting	
AC	15	[ ][ ] Touch of Life
PD	14		
MD	14

MAGIC		1d20+5 / 1d8+4 (Lightning, Cold, Untyped)
Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	6/8 (1d6+4)

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

"I've always wondered if it counted as cannibalism to chew on kobolds, we're distant relatives you know."
"He gave you a bone from a kobold?"
"Yes, tasty as ever!"
"Hmm. Well, you will not eat ever again so you can put your mind to rest... I wonder where our acquaintance got the bone from."

Isaac allows himself to sip on the drink, he was quite thirsty from the journey.

"What to start with? The dragon of course, I have thought of something that may be related. On our way here we were ambushed by a band of kobolds. Before we killed them to the last, they let us know they were following someone they called the Oracle. Their banner was a white eye on a field of white. Kobolds have a tendency to worship dragons. Is the Oracle the white dragon we are here to slay?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

It's not a very large town, but Moju quickly pinpoints the poorly made shacks and communal fires that mark the less well-to-do parts of the town. One particular group of rough looking men circled around a fire seems like a good mark. Moju clambers his way on top of a nearby roof and settles in to listen.

"Joo hear Terrence running his mouth about that dragon he saw? Dumb sod never been happier than now, you ask me."
"S'cos he's imaginin' he'll get a reward for spottin' it! As if the Magister would let a green copper slip outa his fingers."
"Bet he wants the Dragon's gold. Dragons always got gold, right? Richer than emp'rers, Thas what I hear."
"Aye, and less willin' to eat ya!"
The ruffians laugh, and as they do so a broad shouldered human in a black coat joins in their laughter. He speaks next, in a low voice with a bit of a lisp.
"And Terrenth said it was just a white dragon? Why wait for adventurers? Why don't you take that gold for yourself?"

The circle turns and regards the newcomer. Normally they'd have started something, but something about this one exudes an aura of Don't make a wrong move, and so they let it be. Moju leans in closer with greater interest.
"Eh.. but dragons, they ain't pushovers. Me ma, she said dragon slayers gotta have armor n' swords n' magic. We've just got billhooks n' such, we can't be slayin' dragons."
"Oh? Even if I said the beasth lair was in a copse a half a days walk south? Even if I had something, a special something, such that even the weakest of swingth could tear the beasth flesh from its bonth?"

The newcomer speaks in softer and softer whispers, drawing the circle of ruffians closer around the fire. Moju has to strain harder and harder to hear, but fails to account for the rickety construction of the shack he's listening from. In a crash of tiling, wooden planks, and a few bottles, the shack collapses, depositing the shaken Moju nearly at the feet of the group he was listening to.

The man in the black coat steps forward, and Moju notes how clearly he can see the man's toothy grin in the dark.
"Well, here's a (short pause) dwarf who's not afraid to get in danger. Tell me, squat one, were you hoping to face a dragon?"

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013



Moju

There's that name "Terrence" again. Moju begins to grow suspicious about this whole affair, but the arrival of the mysterious man piques its interest. It leans in, attempting to hear the quieter whispers, but alas, is overbalanced.

"Whuff," Moju grunts, slowly pushing itself to its feet beneath the eyes of the gathered ruffians. The large man asks his question, and Moju takes a moment to ponder its response. "No, not at all," it replies. "Hope is for fools and layabouts. I plan to face the dragon." Moju puts its bandaged hands on its hips, affecting what it thinks of as a dangerous, confident pose. "What's this nonsense about a special something, then?"

pre:
Stats		Per Encounter				
HP	30/30	[ ]    Protective Casting	
AC	15	[ ][ ] Touch of Life
PD	14		
MD	14

MAGIC		1d20+5 / 1d8+4 (Lightning, Cold, Untyped)
Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	6/8 (1d6+4)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Moju puts on a confident face, or at least a confident something where his face would be.
The man in the black coat chuckles, a wheezing, hissing sort of thing. "I think this deformed dwarf fancies himself an adventurer!" Another set of laughs from the assembled ruffians, evidently not wanting to be left out.

"And nonthenth? I don't deal in nonthenth, dwarf. I deal in these!"
The man opens his coat, which you now see is lined in runic stones and bottles of oil.

"Runth! Oilth! The likth of which can tranthform a butter knife into a dragon killer! And these runth are special indeed, for they are guaranteed to add nothing less than hellfire to your blade. Perfect for killing the cold white dragonth, hm? One for a mere 125 gold, a fraction of the dragonth horde!"

The assembled ruffians turn to each other and talk. Moju doesn't get the feeling many of them could really afford this. The Dragon Slayers, though...

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Smooth soft red velvety lungs.

- Twelve Serene Star

"I appreciate that," Twelve says slowly to Ryu. "You're... a good man. My weapon is hard to perceive when sheathed, but ostentatious when drawn. I sense there are others among us who hold equally strange secrets, but who can hide their nature's better."

He walks a little way in silence, then stops and places a hand on Ryu's shoulder.

"Listen, that isn't me, okay? I'm not... like that. It's just a thing that lets me fight, that's all. And I can control it. I can! But if one day I can't I'll leave and please make sure none of the others stop me. And if I don't leave.. well you know, I saw you take a beating out there from those little lizards, even it was through a red mist... if anyone can stop IT then it's you."

When Ryu calls the wizards 'eggheads', Twelve smiles and the stress and anxiety seem to melt away from his face. He holds up one fist and bumps Ryu's with it.

"Let's get into trouble."

---

Twelve sits in one of the seven sacred sitting positions and sips his cider after confirming it is non-alcoholic. He seems content. He even looks a little younger.

As the two mages walk in, he unfolds his legs and stands, giving a respectful hand signal.

"Greetings, gentlemen. A pleasure to meet you. My name is Twelve of Serene Star Pass. We seek advice and council on recent events in the city. Ultimately, we do indeed hope to rid you of the terrible lizard terrorizing your city, but before that we must seek information on our prey."

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama
Kazama stands as well, bowing his head slightly at Fenroy and his companion's arrival. "You'll forgive our disheveled appearance, Magister; we encountered a band of kobolds outside the city that were most insistent on a scuffle. They referred to their master as the Oracle. Could our target fancy itself a soothsayer?"

He watches the men intently, trying to gauge their reaction, and if they attempt to conceal vital information.

pre:
Ryu Kazama, Half-Orc Stalwart 1
Stats		Per-Battle		Recharge			Daily
HP	30/30	[ ] Racial: Lethal	[x] Divine Stamina
AC	17	[ ] Power Stunt
PD	15		
MD	11
Recoveries 4/8 (1d10+3)	Greatness YES
Melee: 1d20+5+ED; 1d10+4

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Twelve speaks politely, but can't fail but notice the knowing glance exchanged between the two wizards.

Magister Fenroy speaks first.
"Well, I appreciate the thought. But the fact of the matter is, we wizards have the matter well in hand. Keleanor here," Magister Fenroy nods to the dark elf, "is leading a team from Horizon that is looking into this matter. No need for help, its a very delicate matter, you see. What with the Wild Wood so close, you know, lots of politics."

The dark elf, apparently named Keleanor, coughs into his hand. That seems to be enough to remind the Magister of something.
"Ah! But if you wish to help, well, there is something we could use your aid. There are concerns that agents of the Lich King are taking an interest in this whole affair. Something nefarious, no doubt. We're on the lookout for two of them, practitioners of magic, that may be colluding. Do you happen to know anything about this?"

Edit: When Ryu mentions the name of the Oracle, there's another flicker or recognition between the two wizards. Magister Fenroy speaks again.
"Like I said, the matter of the dragon is well in hand. I highly suggest you leave such affairs to those qualified to do them."

---

Isaac drinks deeply. It's a fairly tepid ale, but it does something for his thirst, at least.

Urfan leans back and claps lightly. "Bravo!" Its infuriatingly hard to tell if he's being sarcastic.
"The white dragon we seek is known to the kobolds as the Oracle, that is correct. She's older than most white dragons, but not through any particular prowess. No, instead she has been in hiding for nearly a century, constantly moving from place to place, keeping only an honor guard of kobolds with her. Frankly, it was a stroke of luck that she got spotted here. Any longer, and I'm sure she would have flown south to the wastes, well beyond our reach."

Urfan drinks deeply of his own mug, and puts it back down with a contented sigh.
"Now, if I may ask a question in return. Who exactly is your skeletal pet? I can tell its not a dog soul in there. What, was it punishment for an old rival? A failed ritual? I'm quite curious."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Smooth soft red velvety lungs.

- Twelve Serene Star

"A team of wizards, you say? Well I can't tell for certain just by looking at master Keleanor, but I'm sure he is a perfectly capable practitioner of the magical arts. As are, I'm sure, all of your cohorts. It seems you have the whole affair entirely in hand - you'll cast your spells at the dragon and completely destroy it within a single second before they have a chance to soar down and land close enough that in the time it takes you to mumble your spells, they have stomped your body to dust beneath their claws."

He leans forward.

"Let's be sensible, gentlemen. Wizards make powerful artillery, but this is a DRAGON. If that artillery fails for any reason, every wizard you take with you will be slaughtered. You need people to distract it whilst you blast it to ash. I won't push it any further, but you should think about it."

He maintains silent eye-contact with the magister for a while longer, then reclines back into the seat.

"Tell me about this pair of magicians."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

The Magister glares back at Twelve. He doesn't respond, but nothing in his body language indicates he gave any of Twelve's words a second thought.

"These magicians? Well, necromancers, really, or at least we're fairly certain they are necromancers. The leader is someone named Urfan Pakhal, middling height, black hair, strange taste in headgear. He's one of the Lich King's more subtle agents, skilled at manipulating others into working into the dead king's hands. He was spotted in New Port, and we have reason to believe his next move is to come here.

As for the other, we don't know much. A robed man with a skeletal dog, seen in New Port with Urfan. I can only imagine its some easily influenced acolyte hungry for knowledge. If that's the case, there's probably no reason to be too rough with him."

M.c.P fucked around with this message at Feb 4, 2015 around 00:14

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama
A brush-off and a trivial errand to run, typical wizards. Like the Pit is Kazama going to sit there and be talked down to by these pen pushers. He drinks deeply to cool himself down, then speaks slowly: "Why don't we cut to the heart of the matter, Magister. The Dragon Slayers are not here to negotiate, with this beast, or with little men who play politics. The sole reason we exist is to keep creatures like this from harming the civilization you claim to care about so dearly. The High Druid will understand that. She may not like it, but she'll understand it. Of course it's yourselves you're worried about. You either want the dragon handled quietly or not at all. But it's a dragon. It won't wait for you to grow a pair."

He stares across the table at the magister, eyes burning with contempt, his voice falling to a hushed rasp. "Now I'm sure you have an incredibly good reason for all that, and I'll respect it. But I need to hear your conviction, from one man to another. Don't hide behind treaties or empty words. Tell me, and feel free to embellish: 'gently caress off, Dragon Slayer.' Say it to my face."

Intimidate: 1d20+9 15

pre:
Ryu Kazama, Half-Orc Stalwart 1
Stats		Per-Battle		Recharge			Daily
HP	30/30	[ ] Racial: Lethal	[x] Divine Stamina
AC	17	[ ] Power Stunt
PD	15		
MD	11
Recoveries 4/8 (1d10+3)	Greatness YES
Melee: 1d20+5+ED; 1d10+4

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

Isaac hides his annoyed expression while drinking from the mug.

"Why is he so intent on talking about Phyrrus? What is his ulterior motive?"

As he puts the mug back on the table there's only traces of annoyance left to be found in his appearance.

"You have barely told me anything that I did not already know so I'll return the favor. Yes, it was a failed ritual, but it's an ongoing experiment. Now, why do you want this dragon dead so much that you've chased it for a century?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Ryu's words cause something to snap in the Magister. He begins to fume and stomp around the room

"Listen you! Both of you, you meaty half-wits! We have this under control! We do not want your help! We do not want humans and half-orcs too stupid to take 'no' for an answer bumbling around ruining our rituals and ambushes! And we especially do not want some meat-headed idiot with delusions of grandeur killing the dragon before we can-"
"Fenroy!"
Its the only word you've heard Keleanor speak since you've seen him. If looks could kill, the Magister would be a smoking pile of ashes right now.

This does nothing for the Magister's mood.
"Get out! Get out! And if I see you meddling in our affairs again, I'll have you alll turned into frogs!"
The manservants, along with some more wizards, come down and politely, but firmly, show you the door.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

All that Isaac sees in Urfan's face is more smiles.
"Why did we never play cards together, Isaac? A missed opportunity on both our parts.
As for the dragon, well, my employer always needs servants, and white dragons make good ones. You know, after they're dead. I'm capable of the rituals, you know. That's why I wanted you to tag along with me."

Isaac can feel Urfan trying to change the subject. There was probably something else here, but Isaac would have to be careful how he got the information.
Meaning that's all from this angle until I get a background roll to coax the info out of him.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

Isaac ignores his superfluous comments and tries to push the issue.

"Don't be ridiculous Urfan, your master could very well find other much easier targets, there's something special about this white dragon. You said but a moment ago that the Oracle is not especially powerful, so why would you bother chasing her to such lengths?"

Master's in Death + Intellect: 17

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Urfan shrugs at Isaac's question. For all his evasive answers, he does seem to respect the other necromancer as a colleague.
"Ah, well, we're at the crux of the matter, yes? When you work for the people I do, you learn that some questions are not worth asking. But it seems to me the clue is in the name. This Oracle sees something important, something that is bending many forces to this little town just to grasp it. What specifically? I'm not sure. It's the purview of the icons. But there's no doubt in my mind that some very powerful people have their glittering eyes on this place. Which is why I appreciate you being here, Isaac. There's so much I wouldn't be able to do without your help."

M.c.P fucked around with this message at Feb 4, 2015 around 01:52

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010



Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

Lavi excused himself from the group as he wandered off in search of the "Young Terrence." Although the village isn't big by any standard, it's much bigger than Lavi's Felyne village growing up. And filled with significantly less random junk.

As it turns out, finding Terrence wasn't hard, since he was quite the blabbermouth, and already had a crowd of people around him brag about the dragon that almost got him. "So you're the one who saw the dragon I hear?" Lavi hollered out. "Brought quite the commotion to this little town. Would you mind telling the story again for this cat?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Lavi quickly finds what must be Young Terrence, sitting on a fountain near the square, entertaining a small crowd of people. He's certainly young, but strong looking and already looking a little rugged. A longbow hangs easily off one shoulder.

The boy needs no encouraging to start his story again.
"Oh, of course, sir Felyne. I'd be happy to! See, I was looking for something to hunt with my new bow Ironwood and Plesioth gut, came from the Wild Wood and I spotted a rabbit close to Ms. Aylen's ranch. I shot the thing right through the heart, but the carcass got lost in one of the hedgerows. But when I was digging around in there, I heard this great flapping of wings and a humongous roar!"
Terrence demonstrates the roar, to the joy of the children and the eyerolling of the adults.
"I was like a rabbit myself, stuck in that bush, and I saw the dragon! It was twice as big as the Magister's tower, and wings like a bat! It's scales were pale white, like snow on the mountains, and it had teeth as long as my arm! The eyes, they had no pupils, but they were as white as its scales, filled with evil and magic. And on its back, a hundred kobolds, armed with terrible spears and axes! They landed at the ranch, and the dragon began to eat those cows, left and right! One gulp, and a cow would disappear down its gullet! But oh, poor Ms. Aylen! She had stepped out to see what the commotion was, and as soon as she could scream, those hundred kobolds grabbed her and threw her on the dragon's back! I just about got up to save her, but right as I was, the big thing took off, flying away with the kobolds on its back and four cows in its claws!"

Well, that was interesting. It would probably be best to get Terrence to come back to reality.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010



Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

A white dragon...with kobolds on it? Come to think of it, the kobolds they attacked had white paint on their scales, and a banner with a white eye and no pupil...

Well that wasn't suspicious at all.

While Terrence tells his story, Lavi set up a bbq spit, and began roasting some of the salted meat he brought along for the journey. By the time the story finishes, the meat is well-done, and Lavi passes it to Terrence while he gets started on his own snack. "A dragon with kobolds? You don't see that everyday. And those poor cows..." Lavi scratches his chin in thought. "You said the dragon didn't have any pupils? How was it flying? Do you think it had those kobolds on it's back to help navigate?"

Cha+Cooking: 1d20+3+3+1 15

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

If Terrence was happy to tell stories before, he's overjoyed now. He happily digs into the stick of meat, his answers coming out between eager bites.

"Yep, those eyes were milky white, no black bits at all. Seemed to fly okay though. Although... thinking about it, something's coming back to me."

Terrence briefly puts the meat aside, though he's still chewing.
"You know, I think the dragon had leads. Yeah, leads running from its mouth to somewhere on its back, and this kobold in these robes and a funny hat holding them!"

Terrence swallows, finally, sparing everyone the sight of half-chewed food.
"But who ever heard of a dragon with leads? Or a dragon who lets people ride it? Well, besides the ones in Axis, but those are the good dragons. I really don't know, I'm just a hunter, you know?"
And Terrence resumes digging into his food.

Right, we're coming to the end of this bit. You can meet up and plan, etc., but if you like we can move on to the dragon's lair, which Moju managed to hear the location of.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Smooth soft red velvety lungs.

- Twelve Serene Star

Twelve immediately stands, raises both hands, and allows himself to be guided outside of the tower. He gives both wizards a calm smile as he leaves, taking extra special care not to be man-handled in any way that might annoy him.

"I'll keep an eye out for those wizards for you," he says. "Can't wait to see you at the dragon guys. It's so nice that you want our help, but we're very busy. We'll try and get over to the dragon at the earliest possible convenience and whittle it down for you a little. Seriously though, have a great day!"

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013



Moju

"Hh. Interesting," Moju replies, letting the laughter roll off him. It made note of the men's faces, of course. "My compatriots may be interested in your wares. Where could they meet you if they wished to engage in this transaction?"

Once a location is secured, Moju heads back to meet the rest of the Dragon Slayers to tell them of its discovery.

pre:
Stats		Per Encounter				
HP	30/30	[ ]    Protective Casting	
AC	15	[ ][ ] Touch of Life
PD	14		
MD	14

MAGIC		1d20+5 / 1d8+4 (Lightning, Cold, Untyped)
Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	6/8 (1d6+4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama
That was certainly enlightening. Kazama allows himself to be removed, then walks in silence with Twelve for a bit before allowing a small laugh. "They don't want the dragon dead, is my guess. They seek to master it, or perhaps manipulate it. They might deserve what they get, but the people here certainly don't." He shrugs. "We might as well meet up with the others and pool our information."

pre:
Ryu Kazama, Half-Orc Stalwart 1
Stats		Per-Battle		Recharge			Daily
HP	30/30	[ ] Racial: Lethal	[x] Divine Stamina
AC	17	[ ] Power Stunt
PD	15		
MD	11
Recoveries 4/8 (1d10+3)	Greatness YES
Melee: 1d20+5+ED; 1d10+4

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«56 »