Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«57 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Smooth soft red velvety lungs.

- Twelve Serene Star

"Huh..." Twelve ponders. "I hadn't considered that. Maybe you're right. It never crossed my mind that anyone would want to not kill a dragon... that's what being raised by monks will do to you, I suppose."

He nods, his bare feet slapping against the ground as they pace towards the tavern.

"Let's see what everyone else found."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

You meet at the tavern to discuss the things you've learned, though Urfan Pakhal dissapears at some point. You have plenty of information, and if the dragon was the only thing worth considering, well, you'd be victorious already. But the question of the Archmage's lackeys, and Urfan himself, looms large.

If you guys want to buy a rune off of that fellow in the black coat, go ahead and say so, we'll retcon it.

Nevertheless, plans are made, and you know the location of the dragon's lair, thanks to Moju. After a short time preparing for the journey, you set off. The woods are not too thick, and you don't encounter any resistance. Soon, you have made your way to a clearing. Rocks and vegetation don't quite conceal the opening in the earth you are no doubt looking for. It looms, large and dark. Just inside the entrance two kobolds, scales painted white and leaning on spears, guard the entrance.

Urfan, somehow, finds you before you notice he's there.

"And now for the big event! Ah, Urfan Pakhal, at your service, I'm a good friend of Isaac's. I sense, oh, thirty or forty living beings in there, probably all fighters. A bit much to deal with on top of a dragon, don't you think? But thankfully I had some preparations of my own!"

He doesn't wait to answer your questions. Briefly, his right eye begins to glow and twinkle a sickly blue color, and all around you the ground seems to rise up. Ghouls! Zombies! Dozens of undead things alternatively race or plod towards the cave entrance. Some of them were hidden close to you, and you have an unsettling moment as a long dead corpse looks at you with blank eyes before shuffling to join the assault. The guards chatter and sound the alarm, but they are quickly set upon and consumed by the ghoul vanguard. The undead horde makes its way inside the cave, with Urfan almost skipping merrily behind.

"Hah! That should take care of the guards. It will be on you, Dragon Slayers, to find and fight the dragon, though! My pets won't touch you, but I can't guarantee everything will be safe down there. Good luck!'

Urfan's undead have tied up the guards, but the whole cave system is now bedlam! What are you going to do to help find the dragon's lair? Make some background checks, and give me an initiative roll.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Smooth soft red velvety lungs.

- Twelve Serene Star

Twelve freezes as the necromancery seeps through the area, dragging the dead to unlife and sending them on their monstrous march into the depths of the cave.

"This man is really a friend of yours, cousin?" he asks Isaac with an edge of distaste. "I have much to learn about this particular brand of magic. Is it the same as the powers which allow your wolf to move without muscle or ligaments?"

He rubs his eyes and clicks his neck.

"We still need to find a way of stopping the creature from escaping. It would be a shame if our first attempt at a hunt ended with the beast fleeing the scene. I don't know how large or how strong this Oracle is, but I may be able to hold it in place once it is injured, but it's probably better to play it safe. We could try and collapse the cave mouth behind us, if only superficially?"

Then he closes his eyes and siphons off a little of the monster inside. He feels his senses sharpen to inhuman levels. His nostrils flare as he attempts to use his Orc Lord sensitivity in order to track the dragon. Unfortunately, the Orc Lord is feeling spiteful. The barrage of sensations come as one vile onslaught, rather than a series that can be searched. The stench of undeath, of kobold poo poo and raw meat and still water. He's pretty sure there IS a dragon in there somewhere - or at least something that smells like nothing he's ever smelled before, but he has no idea where it is.

Dragon Sniffing: 1d20+1+4+1 11
Initiative: 1d20+3 10

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

"A friend? Hardly. The correct word for our relationship is brief former colleagues." Isaac's voice shares the distaste of Twelve's. "As for the magic, you are correct in a way, although these minions of his are temporary. Sometimes that is for the best, it can be quite draining to maintain that many at once. At the least they should last long enough to help us clear out the lair."

"That eye... How deep does his connection with the Lich King run? He commands a great amount of undead here but what sacrifices has he made to do so?"
"Maybe you should focus on the dragon, eh Isaac? I mean it's only a puny white but it still lies out of the reach of a small pack of humanoids like yours. Just thinking about the things a mighty red would do to you lot, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Haha!"

Isaac closes his eyes and tries to hook into the spiritual bond of Urfan's minions as they spread through the lair to sense what they sense. As he reaches out to the bond he finds it twisted, jagged and most unpleasant. He is unable to glimpse much more than brief visions of combat.

Sense through undead: 1d20+10 12
Initiative: 2d20k1+2 10

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama
"Strange bedfellows indeed." Ryu has kept Isaac's association with the Lich King quiet, but the source of Urfan's magic is hardly a great secret. He closes his eyes, calling upon Kohryu, and his body chills slightly as he senses a great presence of elemental ice. He takes a few steps forward, then, remembering the almost-disaster with the kobolds, informs the others of his discovery. "I shall lead the way. Together we shall vanquish this monster!"

Sense Magic (WIS): 1d20+7 22
Initiative: 1d20 20

pre:
Ryu Kazama, Half-Orc Stalwart 1
Stats		Per-Battle		Recharge			Daily
HP	30/30	[ ] Racial: Lethal	[x] Divine Stamina
AC	17	[ ] Power Stunt
PD	15		
MD	11
Recoveries 4/8 (1d10+3)	Greatness YES
Melee: 1d20+5+ED; 1d10+4

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

The Riven you desire can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible.
It's yours.


Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

"From what the boy told me, I think the dragon may be blind. If we can move quickly and quietly, we might get the element of surprise when we get close." Lavi said, unstrapping his sword. "I'll be right behind you, Ryu."

Remember, this is a sneaking mission: 1d20+2 20
Initiative: 1d20+2 16

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013



Moju

Moju's glowing eyes glow a bit brighter as it peers into the cave, looking past the kobold guards and searching for any hidden exits, trap doors, or other conveyances the dragon might use to escape. "I certainly hope we can keep the beast contained..." it mutters. "Otherwise this will have been for naught." The construct clenches its hands, preparing for a deadly battle.

Casing the joint (Burglar + Wis): 1d20+7 18
Initiative!: 1d20+3 22

pre:
Stats		Per Encounter				
HP	30/30	[ ]    Protective Casting	
AC	15	[ ][ ] Touch of Life
PD	14		
MD	14

MAGIC		1d20+5 / 1d8+4 (Lightning, Cold, Untyped)
Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	6/8 (1d6+4)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Isaac tries to hitch a ride on the twisted and empty minds of Urfan's undead minions, but he's unprepared for the savagery of the assault. The eyes and actions of every undead assault his sense, and he is bombarded by the battle cries and death screams in dozens of different places. The cacophony tears at his mind, but his training holds strong and he tries to make sense of the jumble. Deeper inside he sees a set of large wooden doors, painted white and decorated with crude images of eyes and dragons. That must be the place they're looking for.

Isaac suffers an assault on his psyche, but it misses! lucky dog.

Ryu and Twelve take the lead into the cave, rushing your way past skirmishes and pitched combat in the increasingly cramped cave system. Ryu can sense the general direction of the great beast, and Twelve points out the pathways the great beast must have taken. But as Twelve leads you through an opening, you are caught in a trap! A group of kobolds had taken position here, and before you realize it you come under fire from their arrows! Fortunately, several ghouls begin to fight the archers in close range, saving you a continued onslaught, but Twelve takes a nasty hit.

Twelve gets hit by arrows! He takes 6 damage.

But before long you see the place Isaac glimpsed. The kobolds guarding it have been scattered or are engaged in lethal combat, but the doors themselves stand fast. Lavi takes the lead, silent as a cat despite his heavy armor. He opens the great doors enough for the rest of you to sneak in, and thanks to the sounds of combat outside, you get in unnoticed. The room you enter is large, littered with bones, old armors and weapons, and fallen rocks. In a corner are a few crude wooden cages, one of them occupied. And in the center of the room, your quarry.



The Oracle is just as Terrence described, a long serpentine body covered in white and grey scales. On her back she seems to be wearing some sort of riding harness, though from here you can see it gleam with riches. She seems to be looking right at the door you came in from, but you can see the paleness of her pupils, evidently preventing her from seeing you. She's old, but while dragons are supposed to become stronger and smarter as they age, this one seems to have become decrepit and wizened. Her head wavers back and forth, bobbing between the half eaten carcass at her feet and the kobold in front of her. The kobold has its back to you, and is wearing full white robes.

"Krizzek," Speaks the Oracle, "I can hear them outside. The day has come. You do not have to remain here."
The kobold bows its head and replies, "No, Oracle. I have sworn to remain by your side unto death. Even at this time, I will not abandon you."
The Oracle nods slowly. "Would that I could reward your service. But at least we shall make our attackers pay dearly."

As you move in, Moju notes one of the rocks in the rear of the chamber is in front of a tunnel. It's a pretty hefty looking boulder, but evidently no trouble for a dragon. But the tunnel behind does look like a tight squeeze.

Neither the dragon nor the kobold seem to have noticed you. You might have an advantage here.

Alright, thanks to sneaking, you guys have an Ambush! Moju has the highest initiative, so he gets to take a surprise turn. You guys pick one other person (initiative doesn't matter) to take a surprise turn with him. Use the Recruit thread or IRC to hash it out if you like.

Also last chance to retcon any preparations in.

pre:
The Oracle  Lvl4  AC 16  PD 13  MD 13
Krizzek  Lvl2  AC 17  PD 12  MD 16

M.c.P fucked around with this message at Feb 5, 2015 around 21:30

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013



Moju

Moju manages to squeeze through the door just as Lavi cracks it open, scanning the room and swiftly taking in the situation. The cage catches its eyes, but as it's on the far side of a dragon it will have to wait. It seems Lavi was right about the Oracle: if it hasn't already seen them, it must be relying on... that kobold.

Moju's eyes curve up in a smile. The time of preparation is complete: now is the time of battle. And then victory. And then feast.

It waves a hand dismissively at the kobold, and lightning races up from the floor of the cave to the ceiling-- right through a hapless living lightning rod. At the least the shock will catch the kobold off-guard and let the heavy hitters get into position.

MAGIC attack (Lightning): 1d20+5 23
MAGIC damage (lightning): 1d8+4 6

pre:
Stats		Per Encounter				
HP	30/30	[ ]    Protective Casting	
AC	15	[ ][ ] Touch of Life
PD	14		
MD	14

MAGIC		1d20+5 / 1d8+4 (Lightning, Cold, Untyped)
Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	6/8 (1d6+4)

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

"What a heartwarming moment between two murderous beasts, I do apologize so for interrupting but here we are! The Dragon Slayers have come to claim what is ours, which is to be more precise your head."

"Ugh, I hate when you're in this mood."

Isaac spots the scattered remains of fallen warriors in the room. What a wonderful surprise! He raises his staff high in the air and starts channeling through it, a dark fog seeps out from the focus and rapidly covers the ground.

"It seems like fate has irony in store for you. Watch, if you can, as your poor hapless victims come back from the dead to defy you! Hear my command brave warriors, RISE!"

Several of the skeletons in the room begin to animate as the spirits of the fallen return to what remains of their mortal form.

"Warriors! I have brought you back so that you can claim vengeance! Your killer stands before you, claim what is rightfully yours so that you can finally be put to rest. Slay the Oracle!"

The skeletons grasp their old weapons as they stand up from the ground. It is almost hard to not imagine the battle cries of the gaping skulls as they charge the dragon.

"Fine, I'll just go maul that kobold then."

Summon Undead (Cackling Soliloquist): Summons 1d3+1 2 Crumbling Skeletons. +1 Soliloquist bonus.

The skeletons move to engage The Oracle.

Skeleton #1 attacks the Oracle: 1d20+6 22, Hit for 3 damage.
Skeleton #2 attacks the Oracle: 1d20+6 23, Hit for 3 damage.
Skeleton #3 attacks the Oracle: 1d20+6 22, Hit for 3 damage.

Phyrrus moves to engage Krizzek.

Phyrrus attacks Krizzek: 1d20+6 20, Hit for 1d6 4 damage.


pre:
Crumbling Skeleton (mook)
HP 6	PD 14
AC 16	MD 10

Sword +6 vs AC - 3 damage.

Resist weapons 16+: When a weapon attack targets this creature,
the attacker must roll a natural 16+ on the attack roll or it only
deals half damage.
pre:
Isaac Boreas

Stats		Battle/At-will*		Daily
HP	18/18	[ ] Drain Life		[X] Summon Undead (18+)
AC	12	[*] Chant of Endings	[ ] Unholy Blast
PD	11
MD	15
Rec.	8/8 (1d6-1)	Attack Mod. +6 (Base +6, +0 ED)

Phyrrus
HP	14/14	AC	17	Attack	+6 vs. AC
PD	15	MD	11	Damage	1d6

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at Feb 5, 2015 around 22:44

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

In a sick mirror of the battle happening outside, a wave of undead attack the Oracle and her kobold servant! The servant yells something, but it is drowned out by the roar of the dragon.

"And so the murderers come to snuff out what has brought light for so long! Where are you, cold-as-death? Where are you, fire-tamed? As much as you think you drive your own path, a dark hand has already paved its way for you!"

The distraction has worked wonders. The Oracle and Krizzek wrestle with their skeletal attackers, giving some of you the opportunity to strike!

Mogu, Ryu, and Lavi are up!

Krizzek is evasive, he takes no miss damage.



pre:
The Oracle lv.4  AC16  PD13  MD13  95/104
Krizzek  lv.2  AC17  PD12  MD16  24/34

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama
"If you're alluding to some greater conspiracy that drew us here, save it. Worry for yourself now. First you, kobold; you who stand by your dread master in her final hour. You deserve no less than an honorable death." With this, he rushes at Krizzek and lays into him with an iai strike.

Move to engage Krizzek
Giant's Strike: 1d20+6 25 1d10+7 16
Power Stunt: 1d6 3

pre:
Ryu Kazama, Half-Orc Stalwart 1
Stats		Per-Battle		Recharge			Daily
HP	30/30	[ ] Racial: Lethal	[x] Divine Stamina
AC	17	[ ] Power Stunt
PD	15		
MD	11
Recoveries 4/8 (1d10+3)	Greatness NO
Melee: 1d20+5+ED; 1d10+4

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013



Moju

"Be quiet. I hunger." Moju's emerald eyes flash and it raises its bandaged hands once more, swiping at the air in front of its body. Lightning continues to surge up from the stone beneath Krizzek, but as they say lightning never strikes the same place twice. At least the show is impressive.

More MAGIC lightning!: 1d20+5 10

pre:
Stats		Per Encounter				
HP	30/30	[ ]    Protective Casting	
AC	15	[ ][ ] Touch of Life
PD	14		
MD	14

MAGIC		1d20+5 / 1d8+4 (Lightning, Cold, Untyped)
Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	6/8 (1d6+4)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

The Riven you desire can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible.
It's yours.


Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

Attacking Krizzek: 1d20+3 20 1d10+2 6

Lavi crashes his sword down on the Kobold, but when he pulls the sword away the scrapping lizardman is managing. "Strike quickly, my friends, don't give them a chance to get away!"

(Oh, detail I forgot. When I attack an enemy, hit or miss, all allies get +1 to attack the same target until my next turn.)

pre:
Lavi, Felyne Paladin 1
Stats		1/Turn		1/Battle	1/Day
HP	33/33	[ ] War Domain	[ ] Evasive	[ ] War Invocation
AC	19			[ ] Smite	[ ][ ] BBQ
PD	14					[ ][ ][ ] Smite
MD	14
Recoveries 8/8 (1d10+3)		
Melee Attack: +3 vs AC; 1d10+2 damage
Implacable: Roll saves at start of turn.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at Feb 6, 2015 around 16:33

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Your assault on Krizzek almost kills him! He's bleeding profusely, but somehow he refuses to die just yet.
"Oracle! Oracle, I'm coming!"
Heedless of the danger, he dashes to the dragon's side. Ryu's sword swings wide overhead, but Phyrrus gets another claw in. Somehow, the kobold tenaciously hangs on!

Krizzek clambers up the dragon's shoulder, as if they had done this hundreds of times before. He takes a seat in the saddle on her back, and picks up the reigns. The difference in the Oracle's actions are immediate. The skeleton's strikes before seem to have come as a surprise to her before, but with Krizzek leading her, she acts with grim intent.

With two mighty claw swipes, the skeletons in her path are reduced to bonemeal and metal scraps.
"Monsters, to attack my servant so! Silver-bound, you are a monster, and you will always be a monster. All your glory falls before the might of dragons, and all that remains for you is revenge!"

She takes a deep breath, and Krizzek directs her breath to the two casters in the back.

"But I will take great pleasure in striking the Empty-souled! You should not exist! You are an abomination!"

The Oracles breath comes, cold and dangerous, leaving Isaac shivering and Moju feeling the ice shards in his limbs.

Krizzek attempts to disengage! fails!
Moves, draws opportunity attacks. Phyrrus hits! 1 damage! Ryu misses!
Krizzek moves, gets on The Oracle's back.

The Oracle attacks the skeletons, hit! 12 damage! hit! 12 damage, skeletons are destroyed!
Breathes Ice, attacking Isaac and Moju. Hit and hit! Isaac and Moju take 10 cold damage each!
The Oracle moves forward, engages Twelve.

Krizzek is evasive, misses deal no damage.
Krizzek is acting as eyes for The Oracle! As long as they are together, The Oracle gets +4 to AC and PD, and +4 to attacks.
(Which does mean that if Isaac somehow easily kills Krizzek, she immediately loses those buffs)

Everyone is up! Moju, Ryu, and Lavi get the benefit of +1 escalation though. Don't forget it!




pre:
The Oracle lv.4  AC20  PD17  MD13  95/104
Krizzek  lv.2  AC17  PD12  MD16  1/34
It occurred to me after making the post that Captain Walker could have used Lethal to re-roll. Ah... sorry about that. If its any consolation, the dragon rolled poo poo hot, so she could have made those hits even with a debuff.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at Feb 6, 2015 around 19:31

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

"Argh! Her breath is so cold that it burns! It reminds me a bit of when we met Lavi."
"This really is not the time to reminisce Isaac!"

After the savage beating Krizzek took Isaac can feel that his time is almost up.

"I can hear the bells of doom toll for you, Krizzek. It is over."

Isaac makes a sweeping motion with his left hand to sever the thin cord that weighs Krizzek's soul down with his body. As the cord snaps the kobold lifelessly slumps together in the saddle and Isaac draws on what remaining life existed. He then clasps his staff with both hands and starts chanting ominously at the Oracle.

Phyrrus charges at the dragon and bites down hard on the dragon's ankle. The scales crunch between his teeth but no major damage is caused.

"I used to be able to snap an armored knight and his horse in two with my bite and now I can barely draw blood, if you ever give up on trying to set me right I swear I'll find some way to break this bond and sink my teeth into your throat Isaac!"


Death Knell: Krizzek dies. 1d6 Isaac heals 4 HP.

Chant of Endings vs. The Oracle: 1d20+6 24, Hit! for 1d10+4 9 Negative energy damage.

Phyrrus moves to engage the Oracle.

Phyrrus attacks the Oracle: 1d20+6 26, Critical hit! for (1d6)*2 4 Damage.

pre:
Isaac Boreas

Stats		Battle/At-will*		Daily
HP	12/18	[ ] Drain Life		[X] Summon Undead (18+)
AC	12	[*] Chant of Endings	[ ] Unholy Blast
PD	11
MD	15
Rec.	8/8 (1d6-1)	Attack Mod. +6 (Base +6, +0 ED)

Phyrrus
HP	14/14	AC	17	Attack	+6 vs. AC
PD	15	MD	11	Damage	1d6

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama
Ryu scoffs at the creature's taunt. "Never deny it. Now, are you gonna fight me, or just try to hurt my feelings?" He leaps into the air and slashes at the creature on his way down; the wound is far from fatal, but hardly glancing, either.

Engage Oracle
Giant's Strike: 1d20+9 22 1d10+4 11
This seems like a good time to mention I've got resist cold 16+ from Stride the World

pre:
Ryu Kazama, Half-Orc Stalwart 1
Stats		Per-Battle		Recharge			Daily
HP	30/30	[ ] Racial: Lethal	[x] Divine Stamina
AC	17	[ ] Power Stunt
PD	15		
MD	11
Recoveries 4/8 (1d10+3)	Greatness NO
Melee: 1d20+5+ED; 1d10+4

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013



Moju

"Egh!" Moju grunts, stumbling back as the dragon's breath freezes its outer layer of clothing. And its forearm. The construct takes a moment to get mobile again, which involves shattering the iced-over trenchcoat and revealing... another long coat underneath. At the same time, Moju's forearm snaps off and falls to the ground, where it breaks into approximately two million pieces. The Theurge looks down, briefly miffed, before grabbing a skeletal arm from the ground and simply affixing it to its elbow.

Touch of Life (Recovery): 1d6+4 9

Immediately, it returns its attention to Krizzek just in time to see the kobold die. Moju grunts again, then reaches out towards the Oracle with its new hand, attempting to crush her heart with unseen force.

MAGIC attack (untyped): 1d20+6 19
MAGIC damage (Untyped): 1d8+4 9


pre:
Stats		Per Encounter				
HP	29/30	[ ]    Protective Casting	
AC	15	[x][ ] Touch of Life
PD	14		
MD	14

MAGIC		1d20+5 / 1d8+4 (Lightning, Cold, Untyped)
Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	6/8 (1d6+4)

Whycalibur fucked around with this message at Feb 6, 2015 around 17:26

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

The Riven you desire can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible.
It's yours.


Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

"Monsters? Us? Compared to you who have ravaged these lands taking everything you could sink your claws into? Using the kobolds as your minions to spread your terror and bring you tribute?"

Lavi raised rolled around, trying to get behind the Oracle and reach it's tail. Once there, he raised his sword high and slammed it down as hard as he could.

"We are the ones who hunt monsters like you!"

Smite Monster: 1d20+3+1 11 Miss! 1d10+1d12+2 16/2 = 8

(Due to initiative, everyone will get +1 to attack the Oracle next turn.)

pre:
Lavi, Felyne Paladin 1
Stats		1/Turn		1/Battle	1/Day
HP	33/33	[X] War Domain	[ ] Evasive	[ ] War Invocation
AC	19			[X] Smite	[ ][ ] BBQ
PD	14					[ ][ ][ ] Smite
MD	14
Recoveries 8/8 (1d10+3)		
Melee Attack: +3 vs AC; 1d10+2 damage
Implacable: Roll saves at start of turn.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Smooth soft red velvety lungs.

- Twelve Serene Star

Twelve stares up in awe at the dragon-mounted kobold. Despite all his training and enthusiasm, he finds himself almost paralysed with anxiety as the gigantic white lizard unleashes its breath, then scuttles towards him.

"I THINK ITS TIME FOR ME TO PLAY," The Orc Lord whispers in the back of his head. It is the first time that the monster has requested freedom and Twelve has had to let it occur.

"I think so too..." he mumbles aloud, then slips the robes from his shoulders and transforms.

However, the form that eventually glares up at the dragon is even larger and somehow more grotesque than the one that faced the kobolds in the woods. His eyes glow with malevolence and his skin seems stretched to breaking point - as if flexing the wrong combination of muscles might split The Orc Lord down the seam.

"YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!" He roars.

When he bends his knees and leaps up at the dragon, the ground shakes. He wraps his huge fists around the dragon's snout, then drags it back down to earth and slams its face into the cave floor. He cackles with glee, circling around the dragon to stand between it and the back of the cave.



Fully unleashing!!!
Shut up and SLAM!: 2#1d20+4 5 20 One critical failure... BUT
Using Lethal to reroll that first attack
Let's try that again: 1d20+4 9 Well at least its not a critical failure?
Damage: 1d10+3 9
If I can move to get behind the dragon without disengaging, I'll do that too.


pre:
Twelve Serene Star

Stats		Battle/At-will*		Daily
HP	30/30	[*] Red Mist            [X ] Fully Unleash The Orc Lord Spirit
AC	15	[ ] Blood Lust        	[ ] Building Frenzy
PD	15      [ ] Racial: Lethal
MD	11
Rec.	8/8 (1d10+3)
MBA     1d20+4; 1d10+3

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

When Krizzek dies, The Oracle roars out loud, shaking the cave and nearly deafening you in her fury.
"Cold-as-death, you will pay for what you have done! Not from me, but your desires will be your undoings, I swear it! You will all pay for what you have done!"

But without her rider, The Oracle's is left in a bind. She swings widely and furiously, but it makes it easier to dodge her blows. She is left unaware of your positions, giving you more time to try to strike at her hide. She attempts to smash Phyrrus against a stalagmite, but he still hangs on to her ankle and escapes unscathed. Twelve, however, is caught by one of the wide swings, sending him briefly to the ground.

"I feel your rage, Returned-Lord! And it is you, come to the fore in this battle, not your minder! The Twelve stars speak for both of you, but only one may see them to their end!"

The Oracle breathes again, whipping her head around wildly, but it goes over most of your heads. Lavi is the closest to being caught, but his small stature lets him roll out of the way of the worst of it.
"Gold-scale! You should never have returned to the battlefield. You break your oaths, and the consequences will tear at all you hold dear!"

The commotion has brought reinforcements! A handful of kobolds rush into the room behind you, though all of them have wounds of some kind. Nevertheless, they draw their weapons and prepare to attack from behind!

Swings at Phyrrus, misses!
Swings at Twelve, hit at 24 vs AC! 12 damage
Ice Breath against Lavi, miss!

Reinforcements arrive!

More kobolds join the fight!
Escalation die still at 1 Twelve and Isaac are up!




pre:
The Oracle lv.4  AC16  PD13  MD13  45/104
Stabbers lv.1  AC17  PD15  MD11 20/24 (6 each)
Warrior lv.1  AC18  PD15  MD12  11/22

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

"And how long has your crimes gone unpunished? Be quiet and die."

Isaac starts chanting again but before it has a chance to affect the Oracle he can feel weaker minds enter the area. Like vortexes they draw the hurtful energies onto themselves, causing two of the kobolds to let out a short yelp before they fall over dead.

Phyrrus having pierced the dragon's scales is able to dig his teeth in deeper into the Oracle's ankle, a squishy noise is added to the crunching of the scales as flesh is rent.

"Phyrrus, there are hostile reinforcements. Protect me!"

"My jaw is stuck, I can't get away! You'll have to fend for yourself for a bit."



Chant of Endings vs. Kobold Stabbers: 1d20+7 16, Hit! for 1d10+4 12 Negative energy damage. Two Kobold Stabbers die.

Phyrrus tries to disengage from the Oracle: 1d20 10, failed.

Phyrrus attacks the Oracle: 1d20+6 19, hit! for 1d6 6 Damage.

pre:
Isaac Boreas

Stats		Battle/At-will*		Daily
HP	12/18	[ ] Drain Life		[X] Summon Undead (18+)
AC	12	[*] Chant of Endings	[ ] Unholy Blast
PD	11
MD	15
Rec.	8/8 (1d6-1)	Attack Mod. +7 (Base +6, +1 ED)

Phyrrus
HP	14/14	AC	17	Attack	+6 vs. AC
PD	15	MD	11	Damage	1d6

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Smooth soft red velvety lungs.

- Twelve Serene Star

"HA! THIS WORTHLESS HUMAN VESSEL MAY THINK I INHABIT HIS BODY, BUT REALLY HE INHABITS MINE, LIZARD! THE TWELVE STARS SHALL WATCH AS I TURN THIS EARTH TO ASHES!"

The Orc Lord leaps back to his feet, feet that are now more clawed talons than humanoid, crushing rock to dust. He lashes out with a devastating 1-2 punch, but the dragon's flailing takes it wide of the assault.

ORC SMASH: 2#1d20+4 11 9


pre:
Twelve Serene Star

Stats		Battle/At-will*		Daily
HP	18/30	[*] Red Mist            [X ] Fully Unleash The Orc Lord Spirit
AC	15	[ ] Blood Lust        	[ ] Building Frenzy
PD	15      [ X] Racial: Lethal
MD	11
Rec.	8/8 (1d10+3)
MBA     1d20+4; 1d10+3

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

With a yell somewhere between terror and rage, the remaining kobolds fall upon you! The smaller ones only have small daggers, but one of them manages to cut Isaac, and the other kicks Moju hard in the junk. The warrior tries to get a hit in on the distracted Ryu, but fails horribly. He hops back, hissing a threat at the half-orc.

Stabbers engage Isaac and Moju
Hits Isaac with 22 vs AC, 4 damage! Hits Moju with 18 vs AC, 4 damage!
Warrior engages with Ryu! misses!
Even roll, Warrior pops free.

Kobolds are evasive, misses deal no damage.

Escalation die now at 2, Moju, Ryu, and Lavi are up!




pre:
The Oracle lv.4  AC16  PD13  MD13  38/104
Stabbers lv.1  AC17  PD15  MD11 8/24 (6 each)
Warrior lv.1  AC18  PD15  MD12  11/22

M.c.P fucked around with this message at Feb 7, 2015 around 13:02

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

The Riven you desire can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible.
It's yours.


Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

"More kobolds? We need to finish this before they overwhelm us!" Lavi shouts, still hacking away at the Oracle, though the sudden influx of kobolds distracted his swordplay.

Another day, another Smite: 1d20+3+2 13 Miss! 1d10+1d12+2 8 /2 = 4

(Reminder: Moju and Ryu get +1 to attack the Oracle right now, and everyone else gets +1 to attack when their turn comes up.)

pre:
Lavi, Felyne Paladin 1
Stats		1/Turn		1/Battle	1/Day
HP	33/33	[X] War Domain	[ ] Evasive	[ ] War Invocation
AC	19			[X] Smite	[ ][ ] BBQ
PD	14					[X][ ][ ] Smite
MD	14
Recoveries 8/8 (1d10+3)		
Melee Attack: +3 vs AC; 1d10+2 damage
Implacable: Roll saves at start of turn.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama
"I'm still waiting for a real challenge! Make your final moments count, creature. Fight me with all your strength!" Rearing back, Ryu brings down his blade in an overhead slash. The dragon is too wounded to avoid the attack, but unfortunately the angle of the sword is such that it cuts only a little before glancing off of her scales.

Melee Basic: 1d20+8 26 1d10+4 5
Also, my previous attack did 3 extra damage that I forgot about. Also also, this attack was supposed to be Giant's Strike but you can't use it on staggered enemies. The figures in this post are adjusted accordingly

pre:
Ryu Kazama, Half-Orc Stalwart 1
Stats		Per-Battle		Recharge			Daily
HP	30/30	[ ] Racial: Lethal	[x] Divine Stamina
AC	17	[ ] Power Stunt
PD	15		
MD	11
Recoveries 4/8 (1d10+3)	Greatness NO
Melee: 1d20+5+ED; 1d10+4

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013



Moju

The arrival of the kobolds is quite the annoyance, but Isaac's swift response earns him a nod of appreciation from Moju. The construct staggers back from the first kobold's blow, knife jabbing through its protective layers and into Moju's barrel. It doesn't appear to be in pain, but the blow slows Moju down.

"Hh. Out of my way, you gnats," Moju commands, waving its bandaged hand at the creatures to buffet them back.

MAGIC attack (Untyped): 1d20+7 8

Unfortunately, they prove nimbler than the wounded Moju can handle at the moment.

pre:
Stats		Per Encounter				
HP	25/30	[ ]    Protective Casting	
AC	15	[x][ ] Touch of Life
PD	14		
MD	14

MAGIC		1d20+5 / 1d8+4 (Lightning, Cold, Untyped)
Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	6/8 (1d6+4)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

The Dragon thrashes violently, trying to avoid things she can't see.
"A challenge, Silver-Bound? Rebuild your shattered empire, or seek the ebony scales of your usurpers. But you are a bully at heart, clawing at those crippled for your blooded amusement!"

She desperately bites and claws at the air, hitting no one. But the wildness of her swings makes you back away, giving her the chance to flee! She gallops to the back of the room, and begins to paw about for the exit!

Dragon claws away, Misses Ryu, misses Twelve.
Attempts a disengage, succeeds!
The Oracle can't find the exit! She scrabbles frantically.

All Kobolds are evasive, misses deal no damage

Escalation die is at 2, and Twelve and Isaac are up!




pre:
The Oracle lv.4  AC16  PD13  MD13  26/104
Stabbers lv.1  AC17  PD15  MD11 8/24 (6 each)
Warrior lv.1  AC18  PD15  MD12  11/22

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

Phyrrus is thrown off the Oracle as she trashes about but he hits the ground running. He leaps towards the kobold that is attacking Isaac just as Isaac pushes it away with his staff, causing the skeleton to miss with his swipe. Isaac swiftly deals with the kobolds.

"Too late you useless mutt, do you not realize what would happen to you should you let me fall?"

"If you fall because a little lizard pricked you with his excuse for a weapon then I'd die laughing before anything else! Now stop being such a wuss and let papa Phyrrus take care of the remaining kobold."


Phyrrus attacks Kobold Stabbers: 1d20+6 9, miss.

Phyrrus will intercept the Kobold Warrior if possible.

Isaac tries to disengage from Kobold Stabber: 1d20 17, Success!

Chant of Endings vs. Kobold Stabbers: 1d20+8 12, Hit! for 1d10+4 7 Negative energy damage. One Kobold Stabber die.

Death Knell:: The last Kobold Stabber dies. 1d6 Isaac heals 1 HP.

pre:
Isaac Boreas

Stats		Battle/At-will*		Daily
HP	9/18	[ ] Drain Life		[X] Summon Undead (18+)
AC	12	[*] Chant of Endings	[ ] Unholy Blast
PD	11
MD	15
Rec.	8/8 (1d6-1)	Attack Mod. +8 (Base +6, +2 ED)

Phyrrus
HP	14/14	AC	17	Attack	+6 vs. AC
PD	15	MD	11	Damage	1d6

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Smooth soft red velvety lungs.

Twelve Serene Star

"NO! YOU STAY HERE WITH US!" The Orc Lord roars.

His talons shred the stone as he leaps over the dragon's shoulder and grabs the back of its head. Swinging around its skull, it lands atop its snout, using one hand to keep hold of the scales.

"THESE USELESS ORGANS DO YOU NO GOOD," he says plainly, then thrusts a fist into each of the The Oracle's eyes.

With a scream, the dragon collapses forward, blood spraying from its face. The Orc Lord rides its body to the ground, and leaps free.

MBA: 2#1d20+4 15 22 - Crit!
Damage: 1d10+3 9 = 18!
Blood Mist: 1d6 5 = 10!
Total of 28 damage.

pre:
Twelve Serene Star

Stats		Battle/At-will*		Daily
HP	18/30	[*] Red Mist            [X ] Fully Unleash The Orc Lord Spirit
AC	15	[ ] Blood Lust        	[ ] Building Frenzy
PD	15      [ X] Racial: Lethal
MD	11
Rec.	8/8 (1d10+3)
MBA     1d20+4; 1d10+3

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at Feb 7, 2015 around 21:48

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

WIth a final, brutal strike, the Orc Lord strikes hard against the dragon! The Oracle screams and falls to the ground, bleeding heavily from her ruined eyes. She is finished, but as she lays dieing, body heaving past the cuts the Dragon Slayers have put on her body, she says these words.

"The day... is here... I die to the Returned-Lord, and am granted vision beyond visions... I see it! A great wave rises, and the land shakes! Four are joined, and the usurper quakes in his stone throne! All creatures bow, or perish in its shadow!"

The Oracle heaves upward, raising her bloody head high.

"The White Returns! The White Returns!"

And then she collapses, dead.

Almost unheeded behind you, the last remaining kobold throws down his weapon and runs for the doors. The undead outside will probably take care of him. Indeed, you can hear the sounds of combat dying down in the rest of the cave system.

As Ryu cleans his sword, he notes some of the bones and bodies scattered around the room. One he recognizes as Imperial, a patrol of some sort that ran afoul of the Oracle. As he walks over, he notes a gleam under one pile of bones. Looking through them, he finds a sword, gleaming like new despite the surroundings! What a find!

Ryu finds a +1 Greatsword of Haughtiness! Attacks against the most dangerous foe in a battle (or tied for most dangerous) get +1d4 damage!

The rest of you make note of the saddle on the Oracle's back, with the gaunt and slumped Krizzek still inside. It's covered in golden plates, rare gems, and precious metals! Once you get the thing off the dragon, it would be worth quite a lot!

You find 600 gold worth of shiny stuff!

You take a moment to celebrate and collect your thoughts.
Short rest, spend recoveries as you wish.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

The Riven you desire can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible.
It's yours.


Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

Lavi approaches the Oracle's body with a carving knife in hand.

"It feels a little wrong doing this to something that just spoke to us..." He meows, looking over the scales all over the dragon. "But if what she said is true...well, we can't afford to waste anything."

(Not sure what stat to apply to this, but Wisdom seems reasonable.)
Carving off the useful parts of a dragon: 1d20+4+1+1 16

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

"Woof! Run you little kobold, hahaha! See, I dealt with him."
"It might have something to do with Twelve just ripping the Oracle to shreds with his bare hands."
"She's dead already?! I knew whites were weak but that's just pathetic, done in by a bunch of weirdos? Almost makes me ashamed to call myself a dragon!"

"A great wave, the land shaking, four are joined and the usurper quakes in his stone throne? And The White returns? The Oracle couldn't possibly have been more ominous could she."

Isaac looks at the massive carcass. He had held up his end of the bargain, now it was up to Urfan... Isaac felt uneasy about handing the Lich King another dracolich on a platter, especially such a remarkable one. But he had to know, this was the only way that he could further his research.

"Lavi, please hold for a moment. Let's wait for Urfan to show up before we do anything that might cause us to miss our payment. I hope it does not come as a surprise that he is after the body, I'm sure he won't need all of it though."

Or was he sure? What kind of ritual had Urfan planned? Normally you only needed a part of the bone structure to tie a spirit down to the material world but Isaac had learned that when it came to dracoliches normalcy was not something that you could rely on.

"We have done good here today, Wickersham and the surrounding area can rest easily now that the beast has been slain." Isaac was only partially trying to convince himself of what he just said.


Recharge Summon Undead (18+): 1d20 18, Success!
Recovery: 1d6-1 2
Recovery: 1d6-1 5

pre:
Isaac Boreas

Stats		Battle/At-will*		Daily
HP	16/18	[ ] Drain Life		[ ] Summon Undead
AC	12	[*] Chant of Endings	[ ] Unholy Blast
PD	11
MD	15
Rec.	6/8 (1d6-1)	Attack Mod. +8 (Base +6, +2 ED)

Phyrrus
HP	14/14	AC	17	Attack	+6 vs. AC
PD	15	MD	11	Damage	1d6

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Smooth soft red velvety lungs.

Twelve Serene Star

His forearms coated in gore, The Orc Lord cackles maniacally as The Oracle makes it strange proclamation and falls dead. He turns and watches the kobold retreat with a grin that can only be described as hungry. He takes a step towards Ryu, then hunches over as if struck in the stomach. He growls monstrously and writhes, clutching his own great arms in huge hands. Slowly, the orc retreats and the man returns. Twelve gasps and splutters like a half-drowned man shooting back to life.

"I'm alright!" he moans. "I'm alright. Did you hear what she said? The prophecy?"

He half sits, half falls to the ground.

"I don't feel any sense of victory... I was expecting the dragons we would slay to be mindless beasts or beings of pure evil. She seemed... well I don't know, she didn't seem like either of those things though."

Recharge: 1d20 2
Average Recovery.

pre:
Twelve Serene Star

Stats		Battle/At-will*		Daily
HP	27/30	[*] Red Mist            [X ] Fully Unleash The Orc Lord Spirit
AC	15	[ ] Blood Lust        	[ ] Building Frenzy
PD	15      [ ] Racial: Lethal
MD	11
Rec.	7/8 (1d10+3)
MBA     1d20+4; 1d10+3

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at Feb 8, 2015 around 08:58

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama
"It couldn't be helped. This beast was too dangerous to let live; if not for its strength, then surely for its knowledge." He pauses. "I think we'd better have a talk with your colleague, Isaac. Whatever ritual that it would turn the Three into the Four, it's no doubt your Lich King is deeply involved. If I'm going to cover for you in the presence of the local authorities I need to know what I'm concealing, exactly."

Recharge: 1d20 6

pre:
Ryu Kazama, Half-Orc Stalwart 1
Stats		Per-Battle		Recharge			Daily
HP	30/30	[ ] Racial: Lethal	[x] Divine Stamina (11)
AC	17	[ ] Power Stunt
PD	15		
MD	11
Recoveries 4/8 (1d10+3)	Greatness NO
Melee: 1d20+6+ED; 1d10+4
Gold: 625

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013



Moju

Moju walks up to the dead dragon and runs its bandaged hand through the beast's pooling blood. It raises that hand to where a mouth might be, and a faint gurgling noise precedes the disappearance of that blood. "Ahhh... yes. It is much more potent fresh."

Recovery: 1d6+4 7

The construct turns to regard Twelve. "Indeed, I heard the prophecy... Orc Lord." Emerald eyes narrow. "I do hope this won't be a problem. It sounds like things will be quite interesting enough without you losing control of... that."

It sighs, looking back to the dragon's corpse. "There had better be some organs left over when your friend is done, Isaac, or I may have to kill him." Without missing a beat, it continues. "Do you suppose the... usurper of which she spoke is the Dwarf King?"


pre:
Stats		Per Encounter				
HP	30/30	[ ]    Protective Casting	
AC	15	[ ][ ] Touch of Life
PD	14		
MD	14

MAGIC		1d20+5 / 1d8+4 (Lightning, Cold, Untyped)
Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	4/8 (1d6+4)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Urfan stumbles into the room, looking more than a bit harried. His right sleeve is on fire, and it looks as if part of his pants have been burned away by acid. As he tries to pat out his clothes, he manages to give you his trademark smile and makes his way quickly to the Oracle's body.


"Ah! I see you were successful, well done! But I'm afraid there's been some complications, it looks like..."

But the source of Urfan's troubles are soon made apparent, as another group of people come through the doors. Five people, human and elves, dressed in long robes with silver highlights, file into the room and form a line at the doors. A few of them have tears in their clothes and light claw wounds, but hardly seemed to be bothered by them. One of them steps forward, and Twelve and Ryu recognize the dark elf, Keleanor.


"Well, it seems short-sighted greed and ignorant credulousness have won the day again. You have destroyed a chance for the Archmage to save this Empire for the sake of shiny trinkets and forbidden knowledge. Hardly surprising, considering your lack of intelligence. But you may salvage this yet. Submit Urfan Pakhal to our custody, and we shall forgive this indiscretion."

The other four wizards watch you with suspicion, ready to cast something at the first sign of violence. Urfan whispers something from behind you.

"Persistent group, aren't they? But ultimately more interested in their own safety than whatever high ideals they profess to uphold. If you could keep me safe for a little time, I could probably scare them off."

The air in the room seems to stand still, as both sides watch the other for any false moves. The next move falls to you.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

"Oh hey what do you know, I didn't think it possible but there might be someone in this world more full of himself than you are."
"Might I suggest some introspection oh mighty red dragon? I think we've gone too far to bend our knee now, but I wonder what these wizards are up to."

Isaac fixes the dark elf with a stare.

"It seems to me that you have conveniently forgotten the part where this dragon you were unwilling to kill had rampaged across the region, murdering and kidnapping bystanders. How did all that figure into the Archmage's grand plan of saving the Empire from... what exactly?"

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at Feb 8, 2015 around 16:25

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

"A few cows, guards, and farmers. Nothing compared to the devastation the Archmage stands against every day."

The Dark elf sneers at Isaac.

"And you must be the accomplice. Isaac Boreal, from the Dark Tower. Clearly we must treat our colleagues from there with far more scrutiny. And as for the threat, that was what the Oracle was for. Something stirs in the Iron Sea, and this dragon had the gift of sight to tell us what was needed. But its too late now, isn't it? Whatever knowledge or vision she possessed has been lost to the void. Now we are here to prevent the Lich King from empowering himself from her remains."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013



Moju

Moju rolls its emerald eyes (they actually rotate all the way around in the darkness between its hat and scarf) at the arrival of the Archmage's agents. Hopefully they do not recognise the construct's power, but just in case it would be best to keep them distracted.

"We heard her final vision," Moju says after a pause. "You want it? Pay up. As far as I'm concerned, this man--" it gestures at Urfan-- "is a payday, and nothing more. We have fulfilled the duties of the Dragon Slayers and now require compensation. I don't care from whom."

pre:
Stats		Per Encounter				
HP	30/30	[ ]    Protective Casting	
AC	15	[ ][ ] Touch of Life
PD	14		
MD	14

MAGIC		1d20+5 / 1d8+4 (Lightning, Cold, Untyped)
Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	4/8 (1d6+4)

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«57 »