Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«57 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010



Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

Lavi watches in silence as the wizards leave. "So...Issac are you gonna animate the dragon, or do I need to throw together a dragon-sized cart?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

Isaac looks up from Urfan's spellbook which he is studying intently.

"No, that would be impossible. Animating the dead is not some kind of simple telekinetic puppetry, bring those wizards back if it's parlor tricks you want. The spirit of an undead creature is responsible for motor functions and it would be impossible for me to bring the Oracle's spirit back to her body, the cranium has suffered far too much damage from the stalagtite. According to this tome I will also require a powerful focus..."

"An orb of obsidian..."
"Huh, what's that Isaac?"
"The key that I've been searching for."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Everyone is quiet as they make their way out of the Oracle's cave, towing your loot and the thankful Ms. Aylen along. Your first dragon has not been what you expected, whether it's the circumstances of what you found, the knowledge you discovered, or the experience of combat.

But as you get to Wickersham, you see the town gathered to meet you. A hero's welcome! The Wizards had retreated to their tower almost immediately on returning, but the Magister told the town that you, the Dragon Slayers, had succeeded! A feast is held in your honor, with many admirers and celebrations to enjoy.

During the festivities, Moju notices a paladin of the Golden Wyrm in town putting up wanted posters. On them is a familiar looking broad shouldered human in a black coat. The poster says, "Wanted for collaboration with The Black, Espionage, Sabotage."

Its a party! What do your characters do to relax and celebrate?

---



The next day, after another ride with the Darvey brothers, you enter the door of what can officially be called Dragon Slayer HQ. Inside you find it much homier than when you left. Sellie appears to have gotten her small hands on some rugs and furniture, and there's a fire burning in the old hearth.


"You're back!" She greets you with a smile. "How'd it go?"

and that's the first adventure done. Welcome to level 2! Go ahead and write a little something about what you remembers or what you learned that makes you stronger.

Whycalibur you're free to change to Thaumineer at this point.

While you're at it, roll Icon Dice please.

Also you've got a base, and a bit of time before your next adventure. What do you get for the HQ? Feel free to spend some of the party purse (currently 770 gold), or use any 5s or 6s with icon dice if you like. I'm hoping that this base can be as much a character as any NPC you meet.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2015 around 14:13

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010



Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

At the feast, was excited as anyone else at the feast, singing and dancing with joy...until someone brought out the catnip. Then he sang for about five minutes longer both louder and less on key before collapsing in a heap where he stayed sleeping until the morning. At least someone had the decency to throw him a blanket as the party winded down.

---

"Sellie!" Lavi shouts, running in and picking up the halfling with both arms to twirl her around. "Meow! We are victorious! The white dragon has been slain and no more shall the village live in fear! Come my friend," he says, now setting her down and dashing off to the kitchen, "let us prepare a feast! Another feast in celebration, and I shall tell you of our adventures!"

For the next hour, everyone in the HQ can hear Lavi re-telling the story and it's clear the catnip must have messed with his memory of the event.

"...the kobolds ambushed us in the woods, outnumbering us five to one, but we did not fear! I told Twelve to pick me up and throw me at their leader, and we routed the entire kobold horde in a single strike..."

"...the dragon was blind, unable to see us attack! I crawled on her back, scurrying around and never giving her a chance to know where I stood..."

"...the lich summoned yet another horde of skeletons, outnumbering us yet again. But I did not let it worry me, and with my blade cleaved the lich's skull right off and all of his minions collapsed to the ground..."

---

(Level up! Lavi gains 8+CON Hp, bringing him from 33 to 44!
Picking up the Smite Adventurer feat so I can actually hit with it.
And finally, moving around my Background points.

Monster Carving / Crafting: +4
That's So Tasty!: +2
With Catlike Tread: +2 - For general cat features

Now uh...now do I craft from a dragon?)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Go for it. Background check, and you can drop some gold for extra materials as well.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Smooth soft red velvety lungs.

Twelve Serene Star

Twelve's eyes light up in surprise at the appearance of the town.

"I was not expecting any sort of reception like this," he mumbles in awe. Though he does not drink alcohol, he enjoys watching the various festivities and when it comes to dancing, his monk training makes him a nimble and agile partner. Having his dance card punched by a large percentage of the town's women - young and old, he retires for the night and meditates.

The previous Orc Lord was getting stronger. He was also getting more chaotic. Twelve massages his wrists where the orc's thick fists thrust through the dragon's eyes. The thirst for violence and carnage the Orc Lord exhibited towards the dragon was unlike anything it had unleashed before. Twelve decides to stay wary, but he knows one thing - The Orc Lord shows no mercy to the injured.

Leveling up and taking a feat in Red Mist.

---

Twelve admires the decorations of Dragon Slayers HQ with an appreciative nod. The little homely touches are far more comfortable than any of the monastery rooms, even if the building is still not quite as 'grand'.

"Sellie, I do not know where you would obtain something like this, but if one becomes available I would really appreciate having a shrine to The Twelve somewhere in the hall. They are generally small statuettes with candles beneath small pots in which you burn herbs and spices. Take some money from the company balance if you manage to find a reasonably priced shrine."

The Orc Lord, The High Druid, The Three: 1d6 4 1d6 2 1d6 4 No dice on the Icons.


pre:
Twelve Serene Star

Stats		Battle/At-will*		Daily
HP	40/40	[*] Red Mist            [X] Fully Unleash The Orc Lord Spirit
AC	16	[ ] Blood Lust        	[ ] Building Frenzy
PD	16      [ ] Racial: Lethal
MD	12
Rec.	8/8 (2d10+3)
MBA     1d20+5; 2d10+3

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama
Normally Ryu would party extra hard after defeating a powerful foe, but the dragon's last words (and Urfan's insistence on bringing it back) trouble him, as does his previous recklessness. He spends most of the festivities training, making sure he's in peak condition for the next round.

Respeccing a bit at level up picking up Catching Mice and the feat. Also I've been a human all along story wise but I'd like to switch to actually being human mechanics wise, don't want to overlap with Twelve. If that's all right I'll take the feat for Titan Grapple

pre:
Ryu Kazama,  Human Stalwart 2
Stats		Per-Battle		Daily
HP	40/40	[ ] Power Stunt	[ ] Divine Stamina (recharge 11+)
AC	18
PD	16
MD	12
Recoveries 8/8 (2d10+3)	Greatness NO
Melee: 1d20+7+ED; 2d10+5

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

thats fine, Captain Walker

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013



Moju

On returning to the town, Moju waves magnanimously at the crowd with its bandaged hands-- it wrapped up the skeletal arm on the way home, not being a complete fool. At the feast, Moju surreptitiously vanishes food and drink into its barrel, making a good show of eating and drinking like a flesh creature.

On spotting the wanted sign, Moju resolves to track down the dark-coated man; perhaps the Wyrm's agents will pay for such information.

Back at HQ, Moju smiles with its emerald eyes and claps Sellie on the shoulder. "You've done well," it praises. "I made an excellent choice in hiring you on."

Moju begins to unload dragon parts from its barrel near the workshop, and sets up a simple divider in a corner. This places him out of general view, but near the forge and other smithing tools. Moju sets to work, using newly unlocked memories inside its mind. Some time later, it emerges looking slightly more bulky and misshapen than before-- a careful observer might notice that dragon bones now make up parts of its body. It seems to positively sizzle with latent magical energies.

"Yes... yes... I understand so much more about these powers now," it muses. "We must find another dragon, and soon."

Icon Rolls: 3#1d6 3 5 2 5 with the -Archmage
Oracle of Hypnos: 1d6 1 At least I'm consistent?

pre:
Stats		Per Encounter				Daily				
HP	36/36	[ ]    Color Spray (Cyclic)		[ ] Acid Arrow
AC	17	[ ] Barrier (Recharge 11+)
PD	14		
MD	14

Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	8/8 (1d6+3)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

During the festivities at Wickersham, Moju slips away and tries to search the seedier parts of town for the human he met. But the human is nowhere to be seen.

---

A few days later Twelve finds himself being dragged along by Sellie to another part of New Port. Twelve is a bit confused, but eventually Sellie leads him to a part of New Port that surprises him in its familiarity. Peasant dishes and decorations from the towns near the monastery, preparations for lesser known festivals honoring the twelve, and open air markets selling the statues and things he's looking for. Twelve and Sellie spend an enjoyable afternoon picking out everything he needs for the shrine in the Headquarters.

We'll call it 20 gold for a simple lucky shrine.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010



Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

(For record keeping, going to swap Con and Str. Down to 40 HP, but AC stays the same and I am 5% more likely to not miss with my smites.)

As it turns out, the dragon's leg bones were a lot skinnier than Lavi thought, and making a sword from those was going to be trickier. But the dragon scales were tough, and surprisingly could be sharpened to a point. Using a thigh bone for the core of the sword, he began embedding scales into the bone, constantly going over them with a whefish (easier to get than whetstones out here) to smooth over the edges of the scales and make sure they were holding in place.

But as he sharpened the scales in number, something interesting happened. A sudden chill. Once the blade was complete he tested it on a piece of wood, and noticed that strange chilling effect again. It seemed that when the white dragon scales became stressed they would vent coldness into the area, perhaps to ward off attackers. One scale was hardly noticeable, but several hundred in the sword seemed to produce the same effect. Not cold enough to freeze anything, but enough to get it's attention...and take it away from Lavi's allies.

Wis+Crafting for new sword: 1d20+1+4+2 20
(And spending 300 gp to get us a +1 Greatsword of Distraction. On hit, an engaged ally to the same enemy may make a MBA; recharge 11+)

The other thing Lavi worried about while cutting into the dragon was the awful stench, but surprisingly the dragon seemed to be well-kept even in death. Through the journal, Lavi remembered that some white dragons like sleeping in tombs or mausoleums...maybe this was a connected trait? To live like the embalmed dead? Still, out of curiosity Lavi tried cooking up some of the leftover muscle from the dragon, and it came out decently tasty!
Wis+Crafting for accessorys: 2#1d20+1+4+2 18 15
(GM's shoving them together for 5 pieces of Dragon Jerky aka Healing Potions.)

EDIT: Icon Dice: GGW and The Three: 2d6 5,5 1d6 6

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2015 around 16:50

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

Isaac is far too captivated by the spellbook to pay too much attention to the festivities, he sits by a table with a glass of wine that seems to never run out and spends the time perusing. Pyrrhus lies underneath the table chomping on a bone and keeps any unwanted distraction away.

Inside the book Isaac finds a few of the Lich King's secrets that should prove most useful to further his craft.

Grabbing the first Cackling Soliloquist feat as I level up.

---

Isaac is pleased to see the improvements to the headquarters and sets about making it his permanent residence. He sends a messenger off to Horizon and then seeks out Sellie.

"Sellie, I'm expecting a shipment of books from my old study to arrive within a couple of weeks. I say old study because I am in dire need of a new one that is not located on the other side of the Midland Sea. It should be somewhere on the upper floor where there's a decent window for adequate daylight and far away from the cacophonous forge. I shall require a two good reading chairs and a small table, solid bookcases to cover a couple of the walls, some dark wooden panels to cover the rest, a desk as large as the room allows with another chair to go with it, some candlesticks and a few crates of candles. Oh, and some sort of rug for Pyrrhus so that he does not scratch the floor too much. I'll leave the details up to you, here's some gold."
Spending 400 gold on the new study.


Icon rolls:
The Three, negative: 1
The Lich King, conflicted: 3
Archmage, positive: 5

pre:
Isaac Boreas

Stats		Battle/At-will*		Daily (Recharge)
HP	24/24	[ ] Drain Life		[ ] Summon Undead
AC	12	[*] Chant of Endings	[ ] Unholy Blast
PD	11				[ ] Terror
MD	15
Rec.	8/8 (2d6-1)	Attack Mod. +7 (Base +7)

Pyrrhus
HP	18/18	AC	18	Attack	+7 vs. AC
PD	16	MD	12	Damage	1d8

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at Feb 18, 2015 around 19:09

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama

The headquarters is sorely in need of a place for combat training, both for the party and their eventual retinue. Funds are insufficient to support a full-sized facility, but calling in a few favors from Drakkenhall, Ryu is able to procure the materials for a moderately sophisticated dojo, where aspiring Dragon Slayers can learn the arts of sword and spell. The man he hires to keep the place running smoothly, a Navy vet by the name of Mack, seems genuinely interested in helping build the place up, and maybe recapturing his youth, and requires a pittance in salary, in addition to room and board.

Spending this Emperor Three 6 to become Sensei Ryu

Conflicted Emperor: 3#1d6 4 5 5
Negative Three: 1d6 6


pre:
Ryu Kazama,  Human Stalwart 2
Stats		Per-Battle	Daily
HP	40/40	[ ] Power Stunt	[ ] Divine Stamina (recharge 11+)
AC	18
PD	16
MD	12
Recoveries 8/8 (2d10+3)	Greatness YES
Melee: 1d20+7+ED; 2d10+5

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2015 around 21:20

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

About a month passes after your adventure in Wickersham, but its a month well spent. Lavi spends some of the group purse fixing and firing up the old forge of the dwarves, but catered towards his own unique craft of using beasts as the materials of his swords. His first Dragon Slayer piece is excellent, and future endeavors only promise more.

Sellie, in the meantime, has gone above and beyond creating a new study for you. One of the larger rooms, formerly used to store mining materials and machinery, has been transformed into a comfortable study. But what's truly astounding (and, frankly, expensive) is the breadth of Isaac's personal library. Not simply necromantic information, or even magical thought, but books on history, geography, poetry, and any subject you can think of now line the walls. Knowledge at your fingertips, presuming you take the time to peruse it. The Dragon Slayer's Journal is put in a special place of honor, a display in the center of the room.

In the meantime, Ryu starts to think about the future of the organization, and begins to pull together what he needs to begin training people. Mack is courteous and hard working, and its not long before word of your victory gets a few people interested in joining. Its still small, and means some hard working clearing a yard for drills, but its a promising beginning.

And any minutia on payments, mortgage, whatever is included in that. Lavi and Isaac have gotten their turns, so next time someone else gets to buy something expensive and cool.
Captain_Walker, sorry, I used that 6 to give you the sword. You can use one of the fives, or maybe that 6 with the Three, if you like. (Please do, I've got a lot of Icon dice to go through )
Party purse is down to 50 gold. Easy come, easy go.


As another day comes, and you continue your daily schedule of training, speaking with locals, and looking for your next target, a visitor comes inside and introduces himself at the (halfling sized) front desk.



"Captain Aurelion Arectus, Paladin of the most high, the Golden Wyrm. I understand you slay dragons? We may have need of you."

Lavi recognizes Aurelion, back when he was a lowly legionnaire. Even then he struck you as the glory-seeking sort, but not so blind as to throw his lot in with the Crusader. Last you heard he had been assigned to the Abyss. He must've toughened up a lot to be standing here in front of you.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2015 around 21:16

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010



Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

"Aurelion!" Lavi shouts, jumping up on Sellie's desk to match the paladin's height. "Heard you've been fighting things just as bad as dragons lately. What brings you here?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Aurelion looks just as surprised to see Lavi.
"Well! It's good to see you to, Sir Felyne. I never would have thought you would graduate to fighting dragons."

He somewhat stiffly extends a hand to Lavi.
"Well, it's just as well we have your expertise. I'm afraid... this is a bit embarrassing to admit on my part."
He spreads a poster on the desk, depicting a crudely drawn red dragon over a ruined temple.
"A red dragon has taken residence in the Golden Citadel."

He sighs, recalling something unpleasant.
"I had been placed in charge of a squad patrolling the outskirts of the Citadel, mostly guarding pilgrims and organizing forays inside. We'd recently cleared out am infestation of stirges, so we thought it would be safe for some time yet. But about a week ago, a red dragon came in like a thunderbolt, soaring through what remains of the dome and roasting the Paladins currently there. It started to rampage through the temple, killing anyone or anything that didn't flee. Now it is squatting in the citadel, guarding it jealously and killing anyone who dares to approach."

Aurelion bows to you.
"The Paladins are scattered throughout the lands, and I fear the dragon seeks something within the Citadel. I had heard the Dragon Slayers had returned, so I came here to seek your aid."

Moju turns up as well, looking tired. This day brought another disturbing dream.
A woman, hard worn and in heavy plate, rubs a stone across your back and over your face. She does so in long, even strokes, occasionally turning up a spark as it goes over the bumps in your form. As she does so, she hums tunelessly. Moju feels relaxed, somehow at peace. This was truly what made life worth living.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2015 around 00:48

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Smooth soft red velvety lungs.

Twelve Serene Star

"Welcome," Twelve says in a voice rich with serenity. He unfolds from his seated position on the floor like a complex piece of origami, then extends a hand and shakes Aurelion's.

"You say that you fear the dragon is after something within the citadel, do you know what that might be? I understand that your orders treasures and artifacts are your own, but it would help to know the sort of thing this dragon covets."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.


"I'm sorry to say it could be anything. As the Golden Citadel deteriorated, pilgrims have made it a point to rescue any artifacts still inside, but we have no idea of knowing if we've gotten all of them. But when I lead a team to scout and infiltrate, we noticed sounds of destruction and rubble being moved as we got closer. Eventually the dragon noticed us and drove us off, but I got the impression it was looking for something."

Ah! I forgot to mention. Isaac's library is good for one 25 background check for something knowledge related, refreshed when you can return to the base to peruse the library.
Ryu's Dojo is good for one follower type person, not that useful in the fights you're in, but generally competent at 'out of the scene' problems. I dunno, wing it.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2015 around 14:49

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013



Moju

Moju rubs at its belly as it approaches the conference, and glances at the map. "Hh. Is that dragon to scale?" it asks, squinting slightly at the crude drawing. It appears to be as big as the Citadel itself. "Well, no difference. We will need the most complete plans of the citadel you have. Including secured and secret entrances, of course."

pre:
Stats		Per Encounter				Daily				
HP	36/36	[ ] Color Spray (Cyclic)		[ ] Acid Arrow
AC	17	[ ] Barrier (Recharge 11+)
PD	14		
MD	14

Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	6/8 (1d6+3)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.


Aurelion shakes his head.
"I'm afraid this poster was done in a hurry by one of my soldiers. In truth, I believe it was the size of two story house. When it drove us off it radiated terrible heat, and I saw soldiers blister and faint without the dragon raising a claw towards them. And more recently, before I left, it's changed somehow. It seems to... I can't think of another word for it, sparkle as it flies around the Citadel."

Aurelion considers Moju's request in silence for a moment, then relents and places another paper before you. It likely started as a floor plan, but has since been scribbled on with notes and drawings.


"It's probably not completely up to date. Who knows what kind of damage the dragon has done in even a short time. But the major concerns is that there is nearly no cover on all approaches to the Citadel. You may have luck in the back," he points to the door at the rear of the West Wing, the living quarters, "As there's an overgrown garden back there, but its hardly heavily forested."

He stands up and regards you all.
"But your best option may be the ancient catacombs. The opening of the Abyss cracked open many of the tombs, opening to winding caves that could serve as an entrance. But the I haven't had word from the Spluenkers for some time, even before the dragon attack, and they'd be the ones to get you inside.

If you are committed to this, then come with me to Camp Scalehold. That's where we organize forays into the Citadel normally. I sent my cleric adjunct to Horizon to ask for aid as well, whoever is sent should meet us there as well."

Maps are hard. Ask any questions you want on specifics.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

"HAHAHA! A red?! So you managed to kill a blind white and now you think you can take on something that can actually breathe fire? Here's a little friendly advice from someone in the know. Seek out another blind white, or perhaps a deaf black or maybe even a narcoleptic green, then hope you're lucky enough to slay it and retire. Hubris is a quite fatal character flaw when you're going up against dragons!"
"Why Pyrrhus, if I did not know better I would say that it sounds like you are worried about us."
"I need what's in that tiny head of yours, remember? Let's ditch these suicidal freaks and go find one of those obsidian cubes or whatever."
"Ah yes, let us just take a boat to Necropolis and ask the Lich King for a powerful necromantic artifact after we foiled his plans and killed his servant. I know that thinking is not your strong suit but do try to pay some attention."
"Huff!"


Isaac had been listening from the edge of the crowd but the odd revelation compelled him to lean in.

"It has started to... sparkle? Perhaps the artifact, if that is what has drawn the dragon to the citadel, is somehow affecting the dragon. We need to figure out what it is, it could be the key to victory."

He walks up to the desk and casts a swift glance at the drawing.

"It looks to me like moving through the catacombs is the best approach, it would be pointless to fight the dragon in the open after all."

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at Feb 18, 2015 around 19:09

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama
Ryu manages not to snicker at the name Arectus, but his countenance turns serious when the situation becomes clear. In reply to Isaac: "But we'd need to contact these Spelunkers first, yes? When you say you haven't heard from them in some time, that's troubling. I suppose we'd best relocate to Scalehold post-haste and coordinate with you there."

pre:
Ryu Kazama,  Human Stalwart 2
Stats		Per-Battle	Daily
HP	40/40	[ ] Power Stunt	[ ] Divine Stamina (recharge 11+)
AC	18
PD	16
MD	12
Recoveries 8/8 (2d10+3)	Greatness YES
Melee: 1d20+7+ED; 2d10+5

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Aurelion Arectus nods.
"I commissioned a skipper for transportation. Its waiting in the harbor, and can take us to Scalehold directly. And thank you for your aid, I'll do what I can to reward your efforts."

You get your travel bags prepared and set out with the Captain. Sellie and Mack can hold down the fort while you're gone. They wave and wish you well as you set off on another adventure.

---

Your trip across the Midland Sea is relatively short and uneventful. The small ship is well crewed and used to carrying passengers, so you spend a simple but not too rough two days sailing.

Eventually the boat pulls into a small harbor in an inlet in the center of the Demon Coast. The land here is twisted and bare, and you see the occasional patrol on the sands, keeping a lookout and, on one occasion, cleaning up a few Sahuagin that routinely make raids on passing ships. Even here, the red and purple glow of the Abyss is a constant presence on the horizon, marring the blue sky with its corrupted presence.

But you're here for the ruins of the Golden Citadel, visible in the distance on its mountain overlooking the Red Wastes. There is no sign of the dragon, but its presence can be felt in the tension around Camp Scalehold. Captain Auralion leads you to the command tent and makes introductions.


"Welcome to Camp Scalehold, staging area for all our forays into the Citadel. Its not comfortable, but for us, its home. It looks like help has arrived from Horizon, a Master Toylson and his apprentices are crafting something in their own tent. I'd also recommend speaking with Sergeant Rurik, my scout commander, for any recent developments. As for the Spelunkers..."

Aurelion pulls out a map of the surrounding wastes and points to a cave entrance between the camp and the Golden Citadel.
"A week before the dragon attacked, the Spelunkers investigated this cave system here. Normally they at least send a runner back to report, but apparently there's been no word from them for more than two weeks now. They're the ones that know the cave works well enough, and if there's a way inside the Citadel underground, they'd know it.

I've got a squad of Paladins under my command, a number of cadets in training, and a squad of Imperial Scouts that help with patrolling the Demon Coasts. I don't know what we could do against a dragon, but we're willing to give our lives if that's what it takes."

Some of the names poke at your memories. Isaac remembers Master Toylson as one of the Artifice heads at the Imperial College. A brilliant Artificer, but a bit more involved in wild theories than any real sort of practicality. Whatever he created was certainly spectacular, but it didn't always do what he wanted it to do. Ryu remembers Sergeant Rurik as a scout for the Emperor that helped him smuggle goods into Drakkenhall and certain people out. He could hide his scent from a bloodhound, and apparently had been reassigned in the time Ryu lost track of him after the incident at Drakkenhall.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at Feb 16, 2015 around 20:19

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010



Grimey Drawer

- Lavi

"Mreow..." Lavi grunts in thought. "Do we know if the dragon's working alone or not? Because if you lost your troops to the cave systems, there's definitely something down there. Is there anyone else familiar with those caves still around?"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

"Master Toylson is out here in the field?" Isaac mostly remembers him staying in his lab for days on end, hard at work on his soulless creations. "Whatever he is working on could prove quite helpful, utterly useless or potentially dangerous. I shall go speak with him at once."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Smooth soft red velvety lungs.

Twelve Serene Star

The boat trip is enjoyable for Twelve. The soft waves lapping at the side of the ship, the cool ocean air, the long stretches of nothingness. It fills him with a deep, wet, soft serenity that seems to radiate from his very core and flow out over his limbs. Of course he can feel the heat of The Orc Lord inside his chest, and he knows he will likely have to pass control over again soon, but its nice to be reminded that he is in control.

"The spelunkers should be our first priority. If they are dead... which admittedly seems likely, knowing how they died and what might be done to combat the dragon will be extremely useful. If they are alive, maybe we can save them and escort them to safety. If we are going to fight this dragon, the catacombs may not be a bad place to do so. Or maybe it would be. I don't know, it seems like the tighter the quarters the less chance the dragon will have to escape."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Aurelion shakes his head.
"I'm afraid the answer is we don't know if the Dragon has help. So far it hasn't been seen with any other beings, but we have no idea why the Spelunkers have been out of contact. And I'm afraid we don't have anyone else that knows these caves very well. Maybe Sergeant Rurik knows some things? He shares drinks with them often enough."

---

Isaac strolls over to the edge of the camp, where a silver flame marks the magician's tent. Besides the silver flame, its seems parts of the tarp have been burned and partially melted. From what you remember of Master Tolyson, that is to be expected.

You walk in to a great deal of activity in a small space. A Gnome with burnt eyebrows and wisps of hair works over a wand, while around him apprentices and recruits move around fetching strange herbs and carefully watching a twisted labyrinth of glassware.
Master Tolyson looks up at the entrance when he notices the light from outside.
"Just a few moments, I've definitely got it this time! And even if I don't, I'm sure it won't annihilate the mess tent again... Oh, you're not Aurelion. In fact... Isaac! Fine to see you again, despite all circumstances. Is the Shadow Tower contributing to this little dragon business as well?"

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013



Moju

Moju has always enjoyed boats, and is sad to disembark from the vessel when the party arrives at Camp Scalehold. As it clomps to the first conference with Aurelion, sharp-eyed observers might notice that Moju appears to be a full six inches taller than it was some weeks ago. Or perhaps that's just a trick of the light out here.

"Well, I can think of fewer options less intelligent than the front door," Moju allows, turning its attention to Twelve. "We should mount an expedition into these catacombs to find the remains of the Spelunkers as soon as possible. The tight quarters may well trap the dragon, but they can as easily become our tomb if we are not smart about our approach."

pre:
Stats		Per Encounter				Daily				
HP	36/36	[ ] Color Spray (Cyclic)		[ ] Acid Arrow
AC	17	[ ] Barrier (Recharge 11+)
PD	14		
MD	14

Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	6/8 (1d6+3)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama
Ryu breaks off from the rest of the group and goes to find the scout commander in his tent. "Moving up in the world, I see. How's the straight and narrow treating you, Rurik?" A few moments pass in idle talk before Ryu asks for the recent news.

pre:
Ryu Kazama,  Human Stalwart 2
Stats		Per-Battle	Daily
HP	40/40	[ ] Power Stunt	[ ] Divine Stamina (recharge 11+)
AC	18
PD	16
MD	12
Recoveries 8/8 (2d10+3)	Greatness YES
Melee: 1d20+7+ED; 2d10+5

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Ryu finds Sergeant Rurik at the mess tent, poring over maps over a hunk of bread, cheese, and celery. The human's face goes from shock to smiles when he sees Ryu.

"Kazama, gods protect me, I thought you were dead! What in the world have you been up to?"
A little small talk looks like it does the Sergeant some good. After a little chat (He's got a girl in Horizon, Some of the people he rescued still ask after Ryu.) the conversation turns to the matter of the dragon.

"This dragon seems too big for us to handle, honestly. It burned a squad of veteran paladins to a crisp, so I'm not certain what we can do about it.

I've spent some time scouting, trying to get as close as I can to the Citadel. You know me, I'd go unnoticed at a halfling bachelorette party, but that dragon seems to have my scent. But I did find something while I was out there."
Rurik pulls something out of his pocket. It looks like a small metal coin made of a mix of gold, iron, and brass, its colors blended together in strange swirls. One side is flat, while the other is rounded and smooth.

"These things are all over the wastes now. I think the dragon drops them when he flies, which might explain that weird sparkle he's got these days. Don't know what to make of them, and the wizards are too busy to bother, but maybe you could figure out what these are about?"

Rurik gives you the odd coin, and seems to pause to think of something. After a bit of consideration, he speaks up again.
"Listen, Ryu, I can bet you're here to get in the Citadel and do something about that dragon. But if you go in there, there's something I need done. One of my scouts, Corporal Peddy, was clearing the armory when that dragon attacked. Now I know he doesn't have much chance in there, but I've taught him everything I know about keeping low. If anyone could survive in there, he could. I'm asking you, if you could find him and get him back safely, I'd try to pay you back anyway I could."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

Isaac gingerly steps into the tent, keeping his distance from the glass object and the scurry of apprentices. Pyrrhus trails closely behind him, unsure of what to expect.

"Master Toylson, how interesting to find you here. The Shadow Tower has no involvement in this as far as I am aware, I have not been there myself in months. I am here as a member of the Dragon Slayers of New Port, we were contacted by Captain Arectus to deal with the dragon. Now tell me, exactly what kind of aid are the artificers lending here?"

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at Feb 18, 2015 around 19:10

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Master Toylson motions for Isaac to come closer as he continues to work. Some magical ingredients are ground up and burned in a bowl, making an ink for the artificer to carve runes into the side of a wand. He puts in the last touches and holds it up in triumph.

"And here we are! The Toylson Enhanced Heat Disruption Device! Hm, or TEHDD, maybe? Watkins, schedule a naming session later in the day." An apprentice dutifully writes something down. Master Toylson hops down from his box and trots over to Isaac.

"Fighting the dragon, yes? Great big red creature, lots of fire, and I thought to myself, if its on fire, could you put it out? I've been working on wide range cold enchantments for some time, hoping to keep ice treats for longer. Still working out the kinks in that... But this is much more powerful! Use this wand, and you can freeze a whole area in front of you solid! Hopefully, anyway. It takes a long time to recharge, and I haven't really had a chance to test it yet. I'm sure it will be fine, though. Yes, absolutely certain."

He presses the metal and wood wand into your hands.
"That was for Captain Arectus, but why don't you keep it for now? You may be better suited to use this sort of thing."

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama
"Rurik, if there's a man lost in there, you can be drat sure I'm not going to leave him behind, just on principle. Besides, I can't think of anyone more suited to teach his men how not to be seen. I'll see to it that Peddy makes it back. You got my word on that." He shakes Rurik's hand vigorously.

pre:
Ryu Kazama,  Human Stalwart 2
Stats		Per-Battle	Daily
HP	40/40	[ ] Power Stunt	[ ] Divine Stamina (recharge 11+)
AC	18
PD	16
MD	12
Recoveries 8/8 (2d10+3)	Greatness YES
Melee: 1d20+7+ED; 2d10+5

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

"He does realize we aren't literally on fire right? I'm not so sure about this one Isaac. We're going up against a red dragon that has cooked paladins in their cans with it's mere presence and you're holding a stick made by a this flaky gnome that's supposed to keep you from turning extra crispy?"

Isaac looks with skepticism at the wand in his hands. The runes gleam in the light as he rotates it and he can feel that it is infused with magic, but as for what the effects would be when used he had no idea.

"If this does what you say it does it will be invaluable but I can't say that you are instilling me with much confidence, Toylson. You are telling me that you were unable to figure out how to make food stay cold but are certain that you have found a way to extinguish a red dragon? When you say it takes a long time to recharge, I assume that you mean I will not have enough time to give it a test before I have to face the dragon."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Rurik returns Ryu's handshake vigorously.
"That's good to hear. I knew I could count on you."

The conversation continues, going to the subject of the missing Spelunkers.
"I've been worried about them too, but we're stretched too tight to send a search party. This may help though."
He pulls out a scrap piece of paper and scribbles symbols on them.
"These are old dwarf signs, showing what routes are safe and which are not. They would be using these to mark down the ways they went, so if you keep an eye out for them, you should be able to find them."

---

Master Toylson waves his hand dismissively.
"I didn't fail to keep food cold, I made food so cold it shattered and became quite inedible. So altering it into a dragon freezing device was frankly quite simple! All I had to do was make it directional.

But yes, this thing would take a few days to restore its magical energy after use. A few days I don't believe you have! But I can give you my assurance that this will certainly freeze a dragon. Yes, it will definitely do that, at the very least."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

"Very well, then it sounds like we might stand a chance." Isaac makes the wand disappear somewhere underneath his cloak. "I best take my leave, I need to hear what my companions have uncovered. It was a pleasure to watch you work Master Toylson."

Whycalibur
Oct 16, 2013



Moju

Still grumpy from yet more troubled dreams, Moju stumps off to find someone who can direct him to the catacombs. Perhaps it can pick up the trail of these Spelunkers.

pre:
Stats		Per Encounter				Daily				
HP	36/36	[ ] Color Spray (Cyclic)		[ ] Acid Arrow
AC	17	[ ] Barrier (Recharge 11+)
PD	14		
MD	14

Hatchet		1d20+0 / 1d6+0

Recoveries 	6/8 (1d6+3)

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Smooth soft red velvety lungs.

Twelve Serene Star

"Hey, Moju, wait up!" Twelve cries.

He walks quickly after the strange, lumpy man and his low-browed hat.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Moju and Twelve search the camp for anyone who might help them locate the Spelunkers and the cave systems, and after a little asking around they find their tent.

Inside its a dusty mess, and you get the feeling it was like this well before their disappearance. Parchments, lamps, and crude maps are littered everywhere, and everything is written in dwarfish mine code. Thankfully, Moju recognizes some of the codes, but with the mess its hard work figuring out which map would help, or which one is even the right one. The note taking of these Spelunkers is horrid!

But Moju does find something interesting. A recently dated map has a mark on it, a heart shape, or possibly two snakes intertwined. The mark of the Prince of Shadows in a part of the cave, with a note that says "possible stash found, check next trip!". The maps itself is regretfully incomplete, but there are a few landmarks that could help find your way. Moju carefully puts it away.

I owed you a Icon Dice from the previous adventure, sorry for forgetting about that.

---

Armed with knowledge and a bit of magic, you set off for the caves. Uncertainty fills your mind. What will you find underground? Is there even a way into the Citadel from the caves? And are the various people you've been sent to rescue even alive?

The first leg of your journey is across the wastes towards the Citadel, into the dragon's territory. Aurelion warned that anything above ground would be attacked as soon as it was noticed, but the cave entrance you're looking for is not far into her range. With a little bit of concealment and careful movement, and at this distance, you have no trouble making it to the cave entrance.

Its not very imposing, a small hole in the ground that barely fits one person inside. But as you go in you can see it stretch ahead into pitch darkness. There's no sound save for your own movements and breathing, and the steady crackle of your torches. In the light, Ryu notes the dwarfsign by the entrance. The Spelunkers have definitely been this way, but where did they go next?

Skill challenge! Find the Spelunkers, avoid the other denizens, clear rubble, whatever. How does your character help while you navigate these caves?

M.c.P fucked around with this message at Feb 18, 2015 around 22:47

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama

"Hm. Are you sure this was the correct way?" The signs of the Spelunkers point to a passage blocked by a mighty boulder. "Must have fallen while that dragon was causing a mess up above. Out of my way!" Concentrating the energy of Kohryu into his fists, he rears back and throws a mighty straight that smashes the boulder into a million pieces.

Redfield no Jutsu (STR): 1d20+10 27

pre:
Ryu Kazama, Human Stalwart 2
Stats		Per-Battle	Daily
HP	40/40	[ ] Power Stunt	[ ] Divine Stamina (recharge 11+)
AC	18
PD	16
MD	13
Recoveries 8/8 (2d10+3)	Greatness YES
Melee: 1d20+7+ED; 2d10+5

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at Feb 18, 2015 around 19:38

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«57 »