Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«58 »
  • Post
  • Reply
M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

You follow the crowd of orcs, and take stock while hiding among the scrubs and rocks between camps. Jack has turned a number of Orcs to your cause, and they mill about aimlessly, concealing your presence.

As you approach you see that the camp has been built into the side of a rocky crag, a prime defensive position. A stream runs from the cracks into the camp, a place of privilege with direct water, while the rest get doubtless disgusting runoff.
The gates of the Orc Lord's camp hosts a crowd of orcs, most from Throatrend's camp. There's some kind of shouting match between them and the gate guards, as they try to figure out what happened and who's in charge, with bouts of the regular violence as they do so.

Pyrrhus has been surveying the camp, and can see much of what's happening outside. A large building in the center of the camp appears to be where the Orcs are keeping the prisoners, and there's a passage leading into the rocky crag. The chants and drums echoing from inside the passage suggest that it is the ritual site.

You notice runners leaving from other gates making for the other camps... Messengers calling the other chiefs to action.

By the near wall, a brick hut pours smoke from the top. An orcish blacksmith, with a small opening for the smith to toss slag into a hole.

You're generally coming from the NW. There's enough space and scrub to get around the edge without problems, though climbing the crag unnoticed or moving the Beast around might be tougher.
The camp is busy, the sprites are more concentrations of orcs than exact numbers.Blue are your orcs, Green are scrub orcs, Red are Elite orcs.


Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama

No amount of bandages or healing potion seems able to rid Ryu of the burning sensation across his torso, but he soldiers on toward the main camp regardless. "There's no way we do this totally quiet," he whispers, "but Jack has the best chance of reaching the prisoners undetected. Once the guards there are taken care of we can start making noise.

"Temur, you're the tactical expert, but I'm guessing we'll need an assault from all directions. If our orcs are storming the gate, my new buddy here is rampaging across the south side of the camp, and Pyrrhus is burning everything that looks at him funny on the east, the rest of us can enter through the blacksmith. I'll go in first and make a nice big door for you and Isaac. We'll meet up with Jack and arm the prisoners so they can evacuate safely. Then we hit the ritual like a Koru behemoth."

Initiative + Power Stunt: 2d20k1+8 27 2#1d4 3 2
Weapon Rune: 1d10 3 Ryu's weapon attacks deal 5d6 extra force damage in the coming battle


Ryu Kazama, Human Stalwart 9
HP: 220/220 Recoveries: 4/10 (9d10+12)
Greatness NO
AC 30 PD 24 MD 23
Initiative/Power Stunt 2d20k1+8; 2#1d4
Resist cold/fire/poison 16+

STR: 20|+5 CON: 18|+4 DEX: 08|-1
INT: 10|00 WIS: 15|+2 CHA: 13|+1
Weapon: 1d20+5+9+4+ED; 9d10+18
Unarmed: 1d20+5+9+ED; 9d8+15
Giant: 1d20+5+1+LVL+ED; 9d10+27

Limited Powers
[x] [x] [ ] [ ] Runes, Potions, etc. (daily)
[ ] [ ] Power Stunt (ED 2,3)
[ ] Divine Stamina (rchg 11+)
[ ] Armorbreaker (rchg 11+)
[ ] Swordbreaker (rchg 16+)
[ ] Dragon's Rend (rchg 16+)
[ ] Mountain Splitter (rchg 16+)
[ ] Gauntlets of Spell Deflection (rchg 16+)
[ ] Belt of Resurgence (rchg 16+)
[ ] Adamant Greaves (rchg 16+)
[ ] Chuulish Reflexes (rchg 11+, chuul)

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!



Jack "Shadow" Callahan

Jack sneaks ahead of the main group, through the forest, down the river, and then cutting across just after the bridge. They need to free the prisoners, arm them, and use them. It was brutal plan, few would survive the uprising. But they needed all the help they could get.

Sneaking (Please don't gently caress this up): 1d20+17 29 (if it "involves fancy footwork" I get a +2)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Yeah I'll take the +2

Jack is in his element as he slips into and out of the river towards the large hut where the orcs undoubtedly kept their prisoners. The orcs scattered around the compound chanting, feasting, or fighting never even acknowledge the flickering shadow darting between tents and lurking at the edge of their vision. The scout stops by a hole in the prison hut walls and stops to take a look around.

Interestingly, the guard here is somewhat sparse. Most of the orcs are busy with the coming ritual, preparing themselves body paints and feeding their bellies. There are four guards milling around the prisoners, two of them wandering around the cages, two being excessively bored by the door.

As for the prisoners themselves... Jack finds himself smiling at his luck. They're imperial soldiers! A squadron from the Empire's 5th, assigned to aid the dwarves. There had been rumors of soldiers on northern patrols going missing over the last month or so... It looks like they were being abducted in preparation for tonight. None of the soldiers look to be in perfect shape, but if you could arm them, they'll be able to do some damage.

That's Jack's emperor 6. These guys are combat experienced and not likely to break.

Of course, there's not many weapons around the prison hut... but that's a job for the others.

Jack takes another look around, but Linda Callahan isn't here.

What are the rest of you doing?

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013



Temur Arderne

Temur waits, either for Jack to be discovered and need aid, or for Ryu to decide that Jack's in position and smash through the paltry palisade the orcs have erected. He manages this with only minimal glances back towards the orcs swayed to their side by Jack's... Interestingly convincing methods.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama

In the dim light, Ryu barely catches a glimpse of Jack slipping into the prison. He leads his new demon-thing pet around the west side of the camp. It ambles toward the south gate and stops in full view of the guards there, one of whom cautiously approaches the monster. Ryu grabs the sentry and drags him into the bushes before breaking his neck. As other guards begin to climb down from atop the gate, Ryu acts quickly, severing the sentry's head with his sword and moving back towards the beast. Whatever connection the two of them have is about to be tested.

The stalwart holds the head up to the beast's mouth, then quickly jerks it away. "Not food," he commands. Resting one hand on the beast's muzzle, he looks it in the eyes: "Hunter." He raises the head again, letting the scent of orc flesh enter the beast's nostrils. "Prey." Ryu winds up and hurls the head as far into the camp as he can, easily clearing the gate. As he runs back towards the northwest wall, he issues one last command: "Kill!"

Ryu Kazama, Human Stalwart 9
HP: 220/220 Recoveries: 4/10 (9d10+12)
Greatness NO
AC 30 PD 24 MD 23
Initiative/Power Stunt 2d20k1+8; 2#1d4
Resist cold/fire/poison 16+

STR: 20|+5 CON: 18|+4 DEX: 08|-1
INT: 10|00 WIS: 15|+2 CHA: 13|+1
Weapon: 1d20+5+9+4+ED; 9d10+18
Unarmed: 1d20+5+9+ED; 9d8+15
Giant: 1d20+5+1+LVL+ED; 9d10+27

Limited Powers
[x] [x] [ ] [ ] Runes, Potions, etc. (daily)
[ ] [ ] Power Stunt (ED 2,3)
[ ] Divine Stamina (rchg 11+)
[ ] Armorbreaker (rchg 11+)
[ ] Swordbreaker (rchg 16+)
[ ] Dragon's Rend (rchg 16+)
[ ] Mountain Splitter (rchg 16+)
[ ] Gauntlets of Spell Deflection (rchg 16+)
[ ] Belt of Resurgence (rchg 16+)
[ ] Adamant Greaves (rchg 16+)
[ ] Chuulish Reflexes (rchg 11+, chuul)

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.



Isaac Boreas

"I presume that is meant to be the signal?" Isaac comments dryly with his arms folded as he watches the parabolic trajectory of the orc head sent flying into the camp. "Very well." He holds up the obsidian orb and gazes deeply into its inscrutable depth. "But I think we shall require a larger diversion than one hellbeast can muster." He moves his hands around the focus and channels a constant stream energy through it, while at the same time spinning invisible threads of arcane magic from it, which he weaves meticulously into a complex spell.

At first nothing seems to happen, but slowly a dense fog creeps in to take definite hold of the area. Cold as ice to the touch, neither clothes nor thick skin seems capable of keeping the unearthly chill at bay, but the temperature alone isn't what's most unnerving about it. A sinister presence unmistakably lurks within it, appearing out of the fog as brief visions of twisted spectral faces howling in agony, or shrill blood-curdling screams that can be heard echoing in the distance. Not merely an illusion, the presence is very much real: a hundred restless spirits of those made victim by orcish attacks, summoned by Isaac to haunt their assailants.

Pleased with his work, Isaac puts the orb aside and looks up to the sky. "Pyrrhus! The time for subtlety has passed! Let them know the searing heat of your red flame!"

His words are answered by a thunderous roar from high above, and a blast of fire which lights up the sky. Pyrrhus swoops down from the clouds and starts to unleash what could only be described as a copious amount of fire at the ground, painting large streaks of flame as he criss-crosses back and forth over the camp.

Using a scroll of Summon Wraith to perform a ritual to conceal us and throw our foes into disarray.
Spectral Fog Ritual (Master's in Death + Int): 1d20+5+5+9 35
Ritual Casting Time: 1d4 4 (rounds or minutes, I guess?)

Pyrrhus does Pyrrhus things (The Red Flame + Cha): 1d20+3+4+9 33

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Chaos ensues as Throatrend's hellbeast and Pyrrhus tear up the Orc Lord's warcamp. The western gate is flooded by guards readying spears to defend against the vicious beast tearing through the orcs milling about the gates. Lines of fire set tents and huts alight, and fill the air with screams of burning orcs and shouted orders.

These orcs are, however, the best of the horde. A horn is sounded, and the remaining orcs rally into groups. Orcs rally around both gates and begin manning defenses, and holding firm against the attacks of the hellbeast. Another force begins fortifying the entrance of the cave where the Orc Lord's ritual is taking place.

Fortunately, this leaves the prison structure comparatively unguarded, and Isaac's fog should leave you well concealed for now.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


[quote="Mr. Prokosch" post="489920279"]

Jack "Shadow" Callahan

Jack grins, but then notices the lack of recognition. Right, green now. He gives the friendly hand-signs and starts cutting bonds.

“Men, I know you’re eager to be free. But this is our shot at the Orc Lord. We have a small elite commando group infiltrating the camp, while an assault team causes chaos outside. The Target is weakened and distracted by the ritual. We must move fast. Many will die, but the Empire is on the line. We’ll meet reinforcements at the blacksmith and equip you in the field. Then, we cut off the head of the snake.”
The commando winces at the dragon-fire. A bit early, but the Dragon Slayers weren’t known for their patience.

“Move, move, MOVE!” he hisses to the soldiers.

Leadership: 1d20+8+4+5 23

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Ryu Kazama

The spectral fog doesn't quite reach into the forge, but the noises of battle from outside certainly do. The orc inside draws steel and moves to the door, just in time to be flattened as Ryu kicks it down. "Your finest weapons, blacksmith!" Ryu makes a great show of looking around the room and not noticing the orc beneath the door at his feet. "Hey! Can I get some service here, or do I need to help myself?" Without waiting for a reply, Ryu steps across the door (not over, across) and begins raiding the armory, grabbing a sack from the corner and stuffing it with the mundane weapons and gear. Orcish arms are durable, heavy things that will help the prisoners Jack is rescuing defend themselves, but the Orc Lord's main camp ought to have something with a little more magic to it.

What're ya sellin, stranger? (Champion+Wis): 1d20+9+3+2 28

Ryu Kazama, Human Stalwart 9
HP: 220/220 Recoveries: 4/10 (9d10+12)
Greatness NO
AC 30 PD 24 MD 23
Initiative/Power Stunt 2d20k1+8; 2#1d4
Resist cold/fire/poison 16+

STR: 20|+5 CON: 18|+4 DEX: 08|-1
INT: 10|00 WIS: 15|+2 CHA: 13|+1
Weapon: 1d20+5+9+4+ED; 9d10+18
Unarmed: 1d20+5+9+ED; 9d8+15
Giant: 1d20+5+1+LVL+ED; 9d10+27

Limited Powers
[x] [x] [ ] [ ] Runes, Potions, etc. (daily)
[ ] [ ] Power Stunt (ED 2,3)
[ ] Divine Stamina (rchg 11+)
[ ] Armorbreaker (rchg 11+)
[ ] Swordbreaker (rchg 16+)
[ ] Dragon's Rend (rchg 16+)
[ ] Mountain Splitter (rchg 16+)
[ ] Gauntlets of Spell Deflection (rchg 16+)
[ ] Belt of Resurgence (rchg 16+)
[ ] Adamant Greaves (rchg 16+)
[ ] Chuulish Reflexes (rchg 11+, chuul)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Checkin sheets, looks like someone's still wearing +1 armor...

Ryu's bag of bladed treats fills up quickly, but stumbles upon something interesting. A set of hide armor, blackened and worn, but in a place of prominence. Or at least as much as orc organization allows for. It looks like Dark elf craftsmanship. How it got here is a mystery. Tribute? Spoils of war? Either way, its yours now.

Jack gets a +3 armor of your choice.

If the Imperials soldiers have any worries, they don't show it. The Empire's finest put their lives on the line without a second thought, quickly making their way out of the prison hut and towards the blacksmith to meet with the rest of you.

Isaac's fog and the various distractions are effective. The soldiers are unnoticed as they quickly rally at the blacksmith's. There's not terribly many of them, maybe a dozen, but you were never going to take on the Orc Lord with numbers anyway.

Ryu distributes weapons and you take stock. A dozen Imperial soldiers, a group of Shadowtouched orcs, and yourselves. Peering ahead through the fog, you can see the Orcs in front of the cave have already put down some fortifications and are taking defensive positions.

Above the sound of fire and battle, the drums continue. It's getting closer and closer to the final ritual time...

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013



Temur Arderne

Temur keeps a close eye on the door, and impatiently paces. Finally he voices the source of his irritation with "Where the hell are those sappers? Should've been a sign-" and in what could only be perfect timing, a loud, large, resounding BOOM shakes the camp from the northeast, a plume of fire a smoke rising with fury matching an enraged Fire Elemental. Shaking off the gob-smacked look of confusion, Temur turns to the group, "Now's the time to move, while their distracted with the theatrics!"

Lay Of The Land (Cognosce+Wis): 1d20+16 36

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

The huge explosion send orcs running to investigate and turns the head of everyone in the camp. To their credit, the Orcs don't abandon their positions... but the distraction is enough for you to charge before they're ready!

The goblin sapper distraction allows you to get a surprise round! One person you pick and the person who rolls the highest initiative may take a full turn at the start!

You race into the teeth of the Orcish defenses. These orcs are no fresh-spawned raiders, though. They bear scars of war and the fat of many a successful battle. Still, you must prevail!
The largest of them, bearing torn and scavenged elvish mail, raises his glaive and shouts to the others.

"Raaah! There's the lot've been screwing with us! Eyes forward, you sots, Let's grind them underfoot!"

Roll Initiative!
Highest enemy initiative is 26, so you may go if you beat it (and maybe even go twice)

Yellow Orc rangers are up a cliff, meaning two move actions to get up there (1 to cliff, 1 to climb up) or a DC25 to do it in 1 move.
Green Orc rangers are behind heavy cover, -5 to ranged attacks against them.

You have the prisoners and shadowtouched orcs to use as you see fit here.
Escalation is at 0




pre:
Commander	AC29 PD27 MD27	270/270 HP
	+1 defense for every living allied mob
Red Soldiers	AC25 PD23 MD19	560/560 HP (70x8)
Blue Soldiers	AC25 PD23 MD19	560/560 HP (70x8)
	-5 to disengage soldiers
Yellow Rangers	AC26 PD24 MD20	350/350 HP (70x5)
Green Rangers	AC26 PD24 MD20	350/350 HP (70x5)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013



Temur Arderne

Recharge rolls from after last fight
-Recharge (16+, 6+, 16+, 16+): 1d20t16 0 1d20t6 1 1d20t16 1 1d20t16 0 BTS and Buck Up are ready
Initiative: 1d20+9 19
-Moment of Glory: 1d4 3


pre:
Temur Arderne
HP: 180/220  THP: 0  Command Points:1 Moment of Glory:3  Recoveries: 8/9 (9d8+12)   Initiative: +9
AC 28     PD 23     MD 26
Sword +3(MBA): 1d20+16+ED; 9d8+15, 9 Miss
Verutum(RBA): 1d20+10+ED; 9d6+3

At Will			Encounter			Daily/Recharge
Rally Now: 1CP          [ ]Hold The Line                [ ]Tactician Daily
Save Now!: 1CP                                          [X]Supreme Tactical Strike(16+)
Try Again: 2CP                                          [ ]Basic Tactical Strike(6+)
You Know What To Do!: 4CP                               [ ]Just Stay Calm(16+)
Fight From The Front					[ ]Buck Up(16+)
Weigh the Odds						[ ]Potion Belt(16+)
 							[ ]Reckless Sword(6+)
 							[X]Advanced Tactical Strike(16+)
 							[ ]Tactician Champion Feat
							[ ]Helm of Psychic Retribution (16+)
Conditionals

Consumables
Champion Healing Potion

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«58 »